Anyone see It Follows? [SPOILERS]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

The horror movie that has only been released in a few theaters and was an indie film actually turned out to be pretty good. At first the introduction was pretty boring, but the movie became pretty good in the middle, the climax was perfect given the story and the ending was meh.

Anyone want to talk about what "It" represents each major time it appears? I was actually having a good conversation with one of my coworkers about this movie since we both saw it, just on different days.

ZONED427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ZONED427
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Yes,,,I just saw "It Follows". It was pretty good, but perhaps slightly over rated. I kinda got lost in trying to figure out the decade. The funky bedroom lamps and rabbit eared TVs had me thinking it was the 70's. But then, the girl with the make-up styled reader, (similar to a post modern kindle?) had me scratching my head. The cars and clothing was a draw...could be this decade but maybe not. The parents' to these teens, or should I say, lack of, was puzzling too. The story itself was rather cleaver and it gave us much to discuss on the drive home. Maybe that is the reason for the A+ reviews. ?? I'm sure there will be a sequel or prequel to follow, to explain all the questions. I personally found the movie," Shadow People" (kinda has the same premise) to be much more believable and much more scarier.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

This movie is on my list. It don't look that great, but i like movies that make you jump.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 verbtex  Moderator

@LexLas There were a few jump scares, but the rest of it was pretty tame. I really enjoyed the movie though, tell me what you think about it once you see it.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 verbtex  Moderator

@zoned427 said:

Yes,,,I just saw "It Follows". It was pretty good, but perhaps slightly over rated. I kinda got lost in trying to figure out the decade. The funky bedroom lamps and rabbit eared TVs had me thinking it was the 70's. But then, the girl with the make-up styled reader, (similar to a post modern kindle?) had me scratching my head. The cars and clothing was a draw...could be this decade but maybe not. The parents' to these teens, or should I say, lack of, was puzzling too. The story itself was rather cleaver and it gave us much to discuss on the drive home. Maybe that is the reason for the A+ reviews. ?? I'm sure there will be a sequel or prequel to follow, to explain all the questions. I personally found the movie," Shadow People" (kinda has the same premise) to be much more believable and much more scarier.

I think the decade questioning was more so done as a cinematic effect to make the movie more timeless, and show how it can happen to anyone.

The lack of parents actually made me think that this was more of a coming of age almost "love story" with some horror elements thrown in. I've yet to see a movie quite like this that left such an impression. I think a really great job was done.

I'm hoping for either a sequel or prequel, but would also be just as satisfied if they left all the questions a mystery for the rest of your life.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@zoned427 said:

to be much more believable

ZONED427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZONED427

@SaintLeonidas:

Oh wait..Is this one of "THOSE" sites? Where ya quoted and then picked apart? And then, before ya know it, suddenly everyone is speaking/writing in caps? Yeah..I suppose my slip was showing with that "much more believable" quote. IT'S a friggin movie..not to be believed..I get it...ya got me! (LOL..on the gif. btw) What I should have said was, Shadow People had me so spooked, I COULD believe it to be true. I absolutely believe IT could/does happen?!

I was moved to comment because I love indy movies and it's to be applauded when one hits main stream. Yes, I understood the questionable time frame to be a very manipulative attempt to remain timeless. (Bravo) However, I don't agree with ya "lack of parents" theory. If it's a "coming of age" story, why show the mother in a negative way? Why was she always drinking? An attempt to show irresponsibility? Her inability to relate? If chit like that is happening, especially after she was tied up and dumped off in the street, I would expect any parent to be a little more present, no? There was only one cop car parked in the driveway, no yellow tape, no big to-do, when the kid across the street got killed too. I'm guessing that it was an effort to make the characters feel vulnerable and neglected.

After all the hype and rave reviews, I suppose I was expecting more, I was anticipating to be, on the level of, Exorcist scared. "Don't see it alone"? Really? No, it's not on that level at all. It gave a new spin on sex, was cleverly done and is decent movie, but there are a lot of great movies on IFC and Sundance that never get the acknowledgement that they so deserve. I have to admit that this movie has me intrigued enough to be discussing it still.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaintLeonidas

@zoned427 said:

@SaintLeonidas:

Oh wait..Is this one of "THOSE" sites? Where ya quoted and then picked apart? And then, before ya know it, suddenly everyone is speaking/writing in caps? Yeah..I suppose my slip was showing with that "much more believable" quote. IT'S a friggin movie..not to be believed..I get it...ya got me! (LOL..on the gif. btw) What I should have said was, Shadow People had me so spooked, I COULD believe it to be true. I absolutely believe IT could/does happen?!

I love indy movies

Also, what do 'Indiana Jones' films have to do with this?

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

This is better than The Exorcist.

ZONED427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZONED427

That's a very good question...you should be asking yourself.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@zoned427: Let it go. Not worth the fight over this.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaintLeonidas

@zoned427 said:

That's a very good question...you should be asking yourself.

Why should I ask myself when you brought up "Indy" movies?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@verbtex said:

The horror movie that has only been released in a few theaters and was an indie film actually turned out to be pretty good. At first the introduction was pretty boring, but the movie became pretty good in the middle, the climax was perfect given the story and the ending was meh.

Anyone want to talk about what "It" represents each major time it appears? I was actually having a good conversation with one of my coworkers about this movie since we both saw it, just on different days.

WOW, it got 95 % freshness rating on RT. As it got limited release never heard of the movie before lol. Its on my must watch list now, thanks :)

ZONED427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZONED427

@davillain-

yup..ya right, it isn't.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaintLeonidas

Anyway, always nice when indie films like this - which originally were only going to open limited and on VOD - can end up being big enough to expand to 1600+ theaters.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Like I said in my thread on the movie, I saw it and loved it. Really great movie in general, not just as a scary one.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I went to this having no idea what it was about, just that it was a horror film that's got an exceptional RottenTomatoes score. Wow, was I surprised by how good it was. And I even got to see a trailer for Mad Max Fury Road on the big screen to boot, as well as two other trailers that have me excited, one for Poltergeist and another for a third movie in the Insidious sage.

Anyhow, some notable elements of the film that I liked. To start, the sound in the theater was nice and loud, the projectionist or whoever must have cranked the sound a good 50% louder than movies normally play it which was nice. Nothing is worse than a theater with underwhelming sound. I once went to a screening of Paranormal Activity (forget which one) where you couldn't hear those subtle sounds that really added to the tension building. Not that It Follows really relied on that kind of tension building, the subtle sounds anyways, nor does it rely on jump scares. It instead relied on the use of that creepy music getting louder and louder. The music pretty much telegraphed when that entity was coming, yet it still didn't stop the scenes from being scary or tense.

Before even seeing this film and having no idea what it was about, I was having a conversation about elements of horror movies like how the victim is always running and the killer is walking after them and always keeping pace, and how kind of cheesy and laughable it is. Surprising here we have the same thing, an invisible supernatural entity that relentlessly walks after its victims, but it works really well for this film. It only walks but it's always coming towards its victim. Probably helps that it's invisible. Thankfully, the thing was physically bound, gave those running a chance at getting away, and fighting it, plus it gave those who couldn't see it a chance to witness its presence.

Sadly this movie wasn't playing anywhere nearby. I had to drive like 10 miles to the nearest theater playing it because none of the others in my area were playing it. The multiplex I saw it at had it on one of the smallest screens. There were only 8 people there besides myself. But, I guess the film hasn't properly be released to the wider market, not until tomorrow anyways.

I don't want to oversell it and ruin peoples expectations about it, it's important with the latest buzz to keep expectations in check. But all I say is people should consider watching it, and watch it as soon as possible to avoid letting the buzz about it ruin your expectations. It is good, but you might feel underwhelmed if everyone everybody starts talking about how good it is and you hear it again and again, and then when you finally do see it you've heard how great it was so much that you expected better. Just do yourself a favor, keep your expectations in check, and go see it right away.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@verbtex said:

Anyone want to talk about what "It" represents each major time it appears?

I was just under the assumption that the various iterations of the entity were actually its various victims.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SaintLeonidas

@lamprey263 said:

@verbtex said:

Anyone want to talk about what "It" represents each major time it appears?

I was just under the assumption that the various iterations of the entity were actually its various victims.

No, Hugh explained at the beginning that it takes any shape - often of loved ones to lure you in/**** with you. The guy during the pool scene was her father. They showed him in a picture towards the end.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

I thought it was good, but not great. There were some really cool/scary scenes, but for the most part "It" just didn't seem that menacing. The only time it seemed like she was in any real danger was at the beach and the pool at the end, it's hard to exactly describe, but the thing just didn't creep me out as much as I feel it should have. The music was a bit odd too, some of it was almost like a dark chiptune and just seemed out of place. It was definitely worth a watch though.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

It was ok. You could tell they had a shoe string budget, but they did do a good job with what they had.