Anyone here have experience with Anti-depressants?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Im asking because my doctor diagnosed me with a moderate case of clinical depression, leaving all the blog material out of the question, he offered a psychiatric drug called citalopram. Problem is that looking on the paper, the side effects seem, to me at least, to outweigh the possible curing abillities by a long shot. Anyone here know anything about the probabillity of positive effects from Anti-depressants or have experience with them?

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Which side effect has you concerned?

TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheMightyHoov
Member since 2009 • 2459 Posts

Only experience I have is from my mom taking them. Never taken any myself.

Fizz111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Fizz111
Member since 2006 • 795 Posts

If you get over it you won't need anti-depressants.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
The sad part is most of the antidepressant meds increase suicide and most depressed users are trying to avoid that......
blurguy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blurguy6
Member since 2010 • 699 Posts
Its only gonna suck for the first week or so until you get used to the medication but afterwards its shouldnt be too bad unless you have a really bad reaction to the medication in which case you should go talk to your doctor
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
The thing about the side-effects is that it doesn't mean you will actually experience them all. They have to list every side-effect that's ever been reported pretty much just to cover their asses. The meds that I am on have a list of side-effects long enough to fill up a phone book, but I only really personally experience maybe three of them. And only one of them is inconvenient, but not nearly as inconvenient as the depression itself was.
Davulao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Davulao
Member since 2007 • 1042 Posts

Come on, is life really that bad? Do you really have to take drugs to get through the roller coaster that is life? Drugs are for the weak.

Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Jaguar_Shade
Member since 2009 • 5822 Posts
I was prescribed Zoloft many years ago. Not sure how it was meant to help me get over depression... It only made me lethargic, jittery and very nervous.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
The sad part is most of the antidepressant meds increase suicide Dracula68
What's the science behind that?
TruSake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 TruSake
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

yeah it makes you even more depressed, time heals better

Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts
I have mild-moderate depression and obsessive compulsive disorder. Problem is I'm also a career pilot, and taking any kind of anti-depressant is enough to get your medical revoked. I found an over the counter supplement called St. Johns Wort that helps my depression A LOT, and has practically no side-effects. I would really suggest looking into it. Even the possible side effects are mild (stuff like light sensitivity). I know that pre-piloting days the list of side effects scared me away from Prozac, Paxil etc...
th3stausqu0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 th3stausqu0
Member since 2009 • 290 Posts

My advice: If you really really need them, take them. If it is only a mild case then exercise and diet should do. Trust me

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

The thing about the side-effects is that it doesn't mean you will actually experience them all. They have to list every side-effect that's ever been reported pretty much just to cover their asses. The meds that I am on have a list of side-effects long enough to fill up a phone book, but I only really personally experience maybe three of them. And only one of them is inconvenient, but not nearly as inconvenient as the depression itself was. megagene

it was chronic diarrhea wasnt it

I have never needed anti depressants... im a happy person

TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheMightyHoov

Come on, is life really that bad? Do you really have to take drugs to get through the roller coaster that is life? Drugs are for the weak.

Davulao

Depression is an actual disorder. You cant just get over that.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I have been on Prozac, Celexa (which is Citalopram), and Cymbalta. I had a panic attack a few days after starting the Prozac, and it really increased my anxiety. The Celexa wasn't as bad, and the Cymbalta wasn't bad either on side effects. They didn't really help my anxiety or depressive feelings too much though. The Celexa sometimes made me get angry easier, and none of the medications eliminated my thoughts of worthlessness or suicide (but it didn't make them much worse either)

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

[QUOTE="megagene"]The thing about the side-effects is that it doesn't mean you will actually experience them all. They have to list every side-effect that's ever been reported pretty much just to cover their asses. The meds that I am on have a list of side-effects long enough to fill up a phone book, but I only really personally experience maybe three of them. And only one of them is inconvenient, but not nearly as inconvenient as the depression itself was. Colin1192

it was chronic diarrhea wasnt it

I have never needed anti depressants... im a happy person

No, actually it was weight gain. But I'm slowly working off the extra pounds through diet and exercise. As for the "i'm a happy person" part, see that's the funny thing. So was I. Until I got sick/depressed.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Your doctor wouldn't prescribe medication unless he felt it would do some good (or if you think he really would prescribe something for ****s and giggles, it's probably time to find a new doctor) and there's really no way to know what effect the medication will have on you without taking it. So unless you're really concerned about the side-effects (in which case you should contact your doctor) just take the medication as directed and see how things go.

Avatar image for bebopoutlaw3gun
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bebopoutlaw3gun
Member since 2004 • 5584 Posts

My doctor told me the same thing. We tried a couple of drugs but I didn't like the way they made me feel. It was weird. He kept telling me I hadn't taken them long enough to really decide because I would "get used to it". **** that I said. I do fine on my own.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="Davulao"]

TheMightyHoov

This, I have had severe depression back in 08-09. Its not something that you can completely control. On topic, yes I have had multiple anti-depressants. A side effect that I clearly remember was that I lost a lot of my appetite. I also take that post offensive, as you are calling me weak.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

I have been on Prozac, Celexa (which is Citalopram), and Cymbalta. I had a panic attack a few days after starting the Prozac, and it really increased my anxiety. The Celexa wasn't as bad, and the Cymbalta wasn't bad either on side effects. They didn't really help my anxiety or depressive feelings too much though. The Celexa sometimes made me get angry easier, and none of the medications eliminated my thoughts of worthlessness or suicide (but it didn't make them much worse either)

dog64

I have tried Prozac and some other meds I can't remember back when I was depressed, but I believe I found Lexapro to be the medicine that helped me the most.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

[QUOTE="dog64"]

sherman-tank1

I have tried Prozac and some other meds I can't remember back when I was depressed, but I believe I found Lexapro to be the medicine that helped me the most.

I always assumed Lexapro would do the same as the other meds, since all of their main jobs are to work on serotonin levels. I'm currently off of all three medications, and the only medication I take now is an anti-phycotic (Risperdal). I still have some depressive feelings at times (my life really is depressing i think though), but some people have told me that I shouldn't be taking those medications.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

I always assumed Lexapro would do the same as the othermeeds, since all of their main jobs are to work on serotonin levels. I'm currently off of all three medications, and the only medication I take now is an anti-phycotic (Risperdal). I still have some depressive feelings at times (my life really is depressing i think though), but some people have told me that I shouldn't be taking those medications.

dog64

Risperdal brings up bad memories, but whatever works for you. If those people aren't on professional level, then I wouldn't take their advice too seriously.

British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
I was on Zoloft and a number of others from the time that I was 13 till 16. I can't say that they benefited me noticeably. I only had withdrawal symptoms when stopping them and side-effects. There are other drugs which affect serotonin that I feel have helped me much, much more.
TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheMightyHoov

[QUOTE="TheMightyHoov"]

[QUOTE="Davulao"]

sherman-tank1

This, I have had severe depression back in 08-09. Its not something that you can completely control. On topic, yes I have had multiple anti-depressants. A side effect that I clearly remember was that I lost a lot of my appetite. I also take that post offensive, as you are calling me weak.

Its okay. I got your back bro ;)

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
The side effects suck, no doubt. But if that's what you need to be happy and healthy then it beats a lifetime of misery.

I don't take them myself, but a couple family members of mine have taken them. They can make a world of difference in some people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Its okay. I got your back bro ;)

TheMightyHoov

We. Are.Unstoppable!

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I've known a few people on them but refuse to take them myself. I know two people who were on celexia or something, and one of them was really emo and down the entire time they were on it, even worse than they had been, and the other one tried to kill themselves with pills and ended up in a psych ward. For people who don't understand the "antidepressants make you suicidal" thing, it's got to do mostly with how the drugs affect your thoughts. You have highs and lows without meds, but antidepressants make you "meh" all the time, and after a while of that you end up losing your grasp on why you shouldn't kill yourself, and you just end up doing it because the emotional ties aren't there anymore. It's scary as hell if you think about it. OP, I've been dealing with long-term depression since I was 8. I've never medicated, and instead chose natural treatment, which allows me to keep my head clear. I believe that's absolutely essential in overcoming chronic depression and anxiety issues, you can't conquer those kinds of things if the only time you can deal with them is when you're drugged up.
Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

They work for a while then the effects become diluted. At first, there might be some "sexual" side effects such as "decreased desire", then there's always the increased thoughts of suicide.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

Prozac, celexa, zoloft, and several anti anxiety medications. The side effects were definiely there, with little to no benefit. I always felt "sedated" while on them, like I was in a dream and there were no consequences. A very dangerous state of mind.

If I could go back, I wouldn't even consider medication.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
That's what i always thought, side effects and the whole "increase in suicide" i'm like whaaaaaa? And they want you to pay for that? You are just a beta tester, do they take them? Doubt it, they test it in a lab and then see what it does to people, then they will go back and try to alter it to make it better, but if by that time you already RROD what's the point?.........
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
imo taking drugs that **** with your head is the worst possible option. I've heard horror stories. Only take them if you've got no other way out.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44614 Posts
yeah, bad experience with Efexor, couldn't sleep, couldn't keep still, bad insomnia, terrible mood swings... was worse off with it than without it
caribo2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 caribo2222
Member since 2006 • 1181 Posts

I'm on antideppresents and let me tell you they work and work well. I'm on the strongest treatment resistant deppresion pillsmaximum dose. I feel more happier than i have ever felt in my life. I highly reccomend them.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

If you feel that it is affecting your day-to-day life, then yes, I would take them.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Don't use that crap.. you won't learn anything and it just keeps you in the hole. All your doing is hiding from your problems. I know friends that use it and can never solve there problems because they pop the pills instead
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

Im asking because my doctor diagnosed me with a moderate case of clinical depression, leaving all the blog material out of the question, he offered a psychiatric drug called citalopram. Problem is that looking on the paper, the side effects seem, to me at least, to outweigh the possible curing abillities by a long shot. Anyone here know anything about the probabillity of positive effects from Anti-depressants or have experience with them?

DoomZaW

dude,i've been on citalopram for the last two years,.first of all the side effects vary from each person to another,as for me ,the worst side effect i've faced is the random dizziness-like feeling i've been suffering from,it's not really dizziness in fact,kind of hard to explain the feeling but it sure as hell is annoying and kinda scary. but the drug works fine,just don't expect it to kick in instantly,it's a drug that shows results really slowly,it took me 2,3 months atleast to see any difference.feel free to ask anything btw,i'll check the thread in a while.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
[QUOTE="Dracula68"]The sad part is most of the antidepressant meds increase suicide BranKetra
What's the science behind that?

Sorry, forgot to put "side effects" increase suicide
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

There was one tv show that showed something that shocked me for life. I would never take it. I can't find the scene anymore but it was about this woman taking it and her man commenting.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

If you get over it you won't need anti-depressants.

Fizz111

:| Do you even know what clinical depression even is?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I suspect your doctor willknow more about the pros and cons of the medicine than most GS forumites. If you're concerned about the listed side effects, often times they are overstated. Most medicines are required to list any possible side effect regardless of the likelihood. If you read the side effects on aspirin, tylenol, or motrin, you'd never take the stuff. Antidepressants have been proven to be both effective and relatively safe when used in the proper supervised setting.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I suspect your doctor willknow more about the pros and cons of the medicine than most GS forumites. If you're concerned about the listed side effects, often times they are overstated. Most medicines are required to list any possible side effect regardless of the likelihood. If you read the side effects on aspirin, tylenol, or motrin, you'd never take the stuff. Antidepressants have been proven to be both effective and relatively safe when used in the proper supervised setting.

sonicare

True the compulsive violent suicide side-effect only occures in about one on a thousand people taking it. So it's relatively safe. Sadly, so many people take it, so quickly...

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

I was on Zoloft for a while. didn't have any side effects.

but be sure to take it regularly. if you suddenly stop taking it, you may feel absolutely horrible (depression-wise, not physically).

also, don't switch meds with friends for lulz.. it doesn't turn out well.