Anyone here ever worked for UPS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Today I have an appointment to take a tour of the facility and I just wanted to see if anyone here has worked for them before and what their experience was like. I applied for the part-time package handler, which I heard is pretty hard to get unless you have a friend that works there. Any tips to help me stand out against everyone else would great too.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38695 Posts
my uncle worked there for a long time. it was a brutal job and really stressful. he quit like 10 years ago after he had a stroke.
Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts

I applied for the part-time package handler, which I heard is pretty hard to get unless you have a friend that works there.

THGarrett

Sounds hot.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts

I don't work for UPS, I am a freelance package-handler.

edit: beaten to it by TFG T_T

Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

lol package handler...

Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Perd1t1on
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts
great way to traffic.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 THGarrett

Oh you guys... :lol:

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

Will you be working in the facility where they load the packages in the trucks?

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

My dad just retired from UPS last week, worked there for 34 years, but as a delivery driver. My brother started out loading trucks, but is now a driver. It's definitely tiring work. Make sure you buy a good pair of gloves because handling those boxes can destroy your hands. It's not terrible work if you like doing something physical. I'm not sure what kind of benefits you get loading trucks, but the benefits at UPS in general are quite good.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 THGarrett

Hallenbeck77
Yes
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
[QUOTE="THGarrett"][QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Yes

It's been over 10 years since I last worked loading & unloading the trucks there. (Not the brown delivery trucks, but the huge semi trailers that are outside the facility). It's definitely not easy, considering most of the trucks were dirty, hot, and overcrowded, the part-timers were looked down upon most of the time, and there was a HIGH turnover rate. I did it for about 6-8 months before I found a better paying job. Ask anyone who works there, they'll tell you UPS stands for Under Paid Slaves.
Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

THGarrett

Yes

▲ Reminds me of The King of Queens...▲

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 THGarrett
[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="THGarrett"][QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Yes

It's been over 10 years since I last worked loading & unloading the trucks there. (Not the brown delivery trucks, but the huge semi trailers that are outside the facility). It's definitely not easy, considering most of the trucks were dirty, hot, and overcrowded, the part-timers were looked down upon most of the time, and there was a HIGH turnover rate. I did it for about 6-8 months before I found a better paying job. Ask anyone who works there, they'll tell you UPS stands for Under Paid Slaves.

Yeah I've heard the trailers can be unbearably humid(especially during the summer). I'm only to looking to stay for about a year until I finish college in the spring. I'm just wondering though how flexible they are with schedule. Right now I've applied for the twilight shift, which is fine for the summer. However once I go back for the fall semester I pretty much can only take afternoon/night classes. So would they be willing to work with me on this or is it pretty much you work around what THEY want?
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I like DOWNS more.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="THGarrett"] YesTHGarrett

Yeah I've heard the trailers can be unbearably humid(especially during the summer). I'm only to looking to stay for about a year until I finish college in the spring. I'm just wondering though how flexible they are with schedule. Right now I've applied for the twilight shift, which is fine for the summer. However once I go back for the fall semester I pretty much can only take afternoon/night classes. So would they be willing to work with me on this or is it pretty much you work around what THEY want?

Maybe they might have changed their policies since I've been there, but when I was there, they put you where THEY need you. And if you can't do it, they usually find someone else who can, hence the high turnover rate.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 THGarrett
[QUOTE="THGarrett"][QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"] It's been over 10 years since I last worked loading & unloading the trucks there. (Not the brown delivery trucks, but the huge semi trailers that are outside the facility). It's definitely not easy, considering most of the trucks were dirty, hot, and overcrowded, the part-timers were looked down upon most of the time, and there was a HIGH turnover rate. I did it for about 6-8 months before I found a better paying job. Ask anyone who works there, they'll tell you UPS stands for Under Paid Slaves.Hallenbeck77

Maybe they might have changed their policies since I've been there, but when I was there, they put you where THEY need you. And if you can't do it, they usually find someone else who can, hence the high turnover rate.

Alright, thanks.
TweekzAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TweekzAlot
Member since 2010 • 318 Posts
My stepdad has been working there for quite a while now. While it pays decent and has good benefits, it's really tiring and not a good job really. Funny thing is, my mother works for FedEx :P
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8786 Posts

I work there. After 3 years my back is pretty messed up. Also things used to be a lot better, but they changed the contract. You used to get full time benefits after a few months of working there. Now it takes a whole year. It'll be a bit tough for you at first. I say give it a month to get used to, depending on how physically active you are. Good luck.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 THGarrett

I work there. After 3 years my back is pretty messed up. Also things used to be a lot better, but they changed the contract. You used to get full time benefits after a few months of working there. Now it takes a whole year. It'll be a bit tough for you at first. I say give it a month to get used to, depending on how physically active you are. Good luck.

DEVILinIRON
Yeah I know the whole economic crisis has changed the way how a lot of companies do things. So I guess that means you have to pay your dues for a whole year then, which is like what $20 a month? It doesn't sound like it's worthwhile if I was just going to be there for a year or less then.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
great way to traffic.Perd1t1on

I had a guy who used to be a guild with me tell me about this, he worked ina shipping yard and they'd stick things in places and traffic them to other places. I've also heard stories of people who check to see whats in a package and if it's something like a computer, they will take it and say it got lost so they sent a replacement and they give that to the owner.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="THGarrett"]

I applied for the part-time package handler, which I heard is pretty hard to get unless you have a friend that works there.

the_foreign_guy

Sounds hot.

Reminds me of a story regarding the UPS guy at the office I worked at when I was 22 or so :oops:
JenniFRESH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JenniFRESH
Member since 2009 • 167 Posts

I know someone who's worked for UPS for almost twenty years. You start off at the bottom and it's pretty tough down there, but once you work your way up you get paid fairly well and the benefits are quite rewarding as well. I think you get like, full medical and whatnot. And you'll stay in good shape considering you'll be lifting a lot.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

From what I heard, you get great benefits and it will get better as the years go on (as will other jobs though). It looks like a demanding job phyiscally though, so be ready.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8786 Posts
[QUOTE="DEVILinIRON"]

THGarrett
Yeah I know the whole economic crisis has changed the way how a lot of companies do things. So I guess that means you have to pay your dues for a whole year then, which is like what $20 a month? It doesn't sound like it's worthwhile if I was just going to be there for a year or less then.

Union dues depend on the hub. Some take out more than others for some odd reason.
gameroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 gameroz
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
I worked for FedEx but not UPS. I wanted to get a job at UPS unloadin or scanning but they are not hiring.