Anyone has a theory behind the double slit experiment ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Or never thought about it before?

I'm just trying to collect thoughts some might have on the reason behind the outcome of the experiment.

here is a video explaining the experiment ( in case some never heard of it before).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Interesting video. Wish I was intelligent enough to actually have something of value to contribute.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

I don't know, why don't you look online for the probably hundreds of articles/papers that have analyzed and discussed this already...

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Photons (or electrons or whatever) exist in all their possible states at the same time until they're observed. When you have a sensor on one of the slits then you're observing it, thus collapsing its wavefunction to one state (in our reality / universe) which is either through one slit or the other. If you don't have a sensor you can't see them (because they're tiny, that's the only way to detect them) then they aren't being observed by anything, so each photon exists in all of its states, thus passing through the two slits at the same time and interfering with itself, and creating the pattern. That's just one of the many theories though..

This isn't really something to be explained in a forum topic, just go do some research if you're interested in the subject..

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

Photons (or electrons or whatever) exist in all their possible states at the same time until they're observed. When you have a sensor on one of the slits then you're observing it, thus collapsing its wavefunction to one state (in our reality / universe) which is either through one slit or the other. If you don't have a sensor you can't see them (because they're tiny, that's the only way to detect them) then they aren't being observed by anything, so each photon exists in all of its states, thus passing through the two slits at the same time and interfering with itself, and creating the pattern. That's just one of the many theories though..

This isn't really something to be explained in a forum topic, just go do some research if you're interested in the subject..

This is my favorite explanation, and fits in really well with the visual aids in the video (the fact they're in all possible states explains the formation of the wave "ripple" rather than the straight-fire behavior when observed).

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

TC, you're asking a bunch of random internet people for their thoughts on freakin' quantum physics.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@EnoshimaJunko said:

TC, you're asking a bunch of random internet people for their thoughts on freakin' quantum physics.

OK, fine. Spoil sport :P

TC, if you really want to have an in depth online discussion on this stuff, I'd recommend this site.

I discovered this sub-site while using Programmers.StackExchange, and I've lurked it since. A lot of the people on there really know their stuff. The explanations on things like quantum mechanics and neutron forces often go well beyond the traditional visualization crutches while still being digestible.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

It's well documented why. Just do some research.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

there's a lot of regurgitated non-truth about the experiment that's perpetuated even among sources that should be in authority to set the record straight, such as the experiment behaves like particles when it's observed and like waves when not observed, which is hokum

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

So I guess each atom, is aware of itself? They all play a role in the bigger plan. We all might just be a big experiment by a higher being.

Interesting video.