Anyone getting tired of all these superhero movies?

• 50 results
#1 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

For me its either superhero movies or the bombastic, explosion filled, popcorn action film making that they are associated with.

While superhero movie plots are definitely getting old for me, their decline would likely be replaced with something in a similar vein -- maybe more post apocalyptic zombie films.

I guess more broadly I'm hoping for some sort of switch in mainstream film-making. Part of me is wishing they'd go back to those old detective noir movies ... but of course this style wouldn't have the same broad appeal for today's audience.

#2 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24346 posts) -

Not really...there are plenty of other movies to watch.

#3 Posted by Bardock47 (5363 posts) -

I don't feel like there is an overabundance of super-hero movies. Really, Marvel only does 1 or 2 a year. And DC's next one is BVS in 2016. The only reason it feels particularly bloated this year is because Sony and Fox are also putting out their Spider-Man and X-Men movies this year. Still that is only 4.

I do agree some more diversity would be nice; feels like there are only a handful of movies a year I really enjoy.

#4 Edited by PoopTickler-- (8 posts) -

I was really into the Walking Dead until I found out Daryl dies next season. :'(

#5 Posted by Iszdope (10925 posts) -

Hehe...PoopTickler...

Heh.

#6 Posted by hippiesanta (9987 posts) -

I miss antihero movie like Natural Born Killers

#7 Posted by BranKetra (49619 posts) -

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a political thriller. I like the new change from all the superhero action films. They have been good, but variety is preferred.

#8 Posted by MrGeezer (57022 posts) -

@Meinhard1 said:

For me its either superhero movies or the bombastic, explosion filled, popcorn action film making that they are associated with.

While superhero movie plots are definitely getting old for me, their decline would likely be replaced with something in a similar vein -- maybe more post apocalyptic zombie films.

I guess more broadly I'm hoping for some sort of switch in mainstream film-making. Part of me is wishing they'd go back to those old detective noir movies ... but of course this style wouldn't have the same broad appeal for today's audience.

Whatever the "switch" ends up being, you'll get tired of that too. Because filmmakers are certainly gonna milk it for all it's worth until they've run it into the ground.

Keep in mind that no one used to treat superhero movies seriously, they were treated as cheap trash in the rare occasions when they were actually made. The superhero explosion that we're seeing only happened because these movies started making shitloads of money and became a sure bet. That's not gonna last. Studios are gonna push their luck, movies will increasingly start to flop, audiences will lose interest. Then Hollywood will just find the next sure bet, and run that into the ground too.

#9 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3228 posts) -

Don't like them,don't watch them.

Me i can't get enough of them.In fact the only movies i watch on the theater are super hero movies,the rest i rent on blue ray.

#10 Posted by Korvus (7398 posts) -

I quite enjoy superhero movies...just wish they'd stop being so half-assed lately...

#11 Posted by MrGeezer (57022 posts) -

@korvus said:

I quite enjoy superhero movies...just wish they'd stop being so half-assed lately...

That's a sign that the superhero movie bubble is in danger of bursting.

Again, when it comes to these sorts of geek oriented movies, we live in a glorious age. That wasn't always the case. It's only very recently that if you wanted $100 million to make a movie about Spider-Man or Dragons or obscure shit like Watchmen or Guardians of the Galaxy, you'd get thrown out on your ass. Now studios throw money at that shit as if it was a sure investment. That only happened because a few filmmakers who CARED about the properties and had the talent to back it up managed to convince studios into taking a chance. Previously it was all either people who didn't care, or people who cared and were incompetent. But a few hits happened, more competent people who cared about the material got their chance, and now superhero movies are all over the place.

The problem is that the success of the superhero movie leads to more money being thrown into them, which means more involvement from investors who don't care about the material and more money being thrown at incompetent filmmakers who don't care about the material and are just hopping on the superhero bandwagon for a quick and easy buck. This is no longer just a geek renaissance, now the success of these movies has given people who don't care incntive to hop on the bandwagon and release shitty movies, solely banking on the idea that superhero movies are hot shit and a safe investment. And that's what's gonna cause he superhero bubble to burst, because this area is going to become too dominated by movies which were made by people who simply don;t give a shit. That'll turn off audiences, and then superhero movies will again cease to be a guaranteed safe investment.

#12 Edited by Korvus (7398 posts) -

@MrGeezer: Well said =)

#13 Posted by airshocker (30915 posts) -

There really aren't that many superhero movies.

#14 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

Not getting enough, that being said can't fvcking wait for TAS 2 Wooo Hooo on MAY 2 :D

#15 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152304 posts) -

No. I like action movies....but there are other choices to make if you don't like them.

#16 Posted by GazaAli (23614 posts) -

They're the new Zombie fad. Granted I didn't watch that many superhero movies over the course of my life, but I honestly can't think of a single one of them that was really captivating or managed to leave any memorable impression on me.

The funny thing is how they're all getting sequels and remakes in a very short period of time. That's the definition of milking a franchise.

#17 Posted by Qixote (10786 posts) -

I don't like how they throw too much into one 2 hour film. Too many villains, too many heroes, too much CGI. And lately this is happening more. It just looks like a big mess.

#18 Posted by ferrari2001 (17288 posts) -

1) No one is forcing you to go see superhero movies. If you don't like them go see something else. 2) Modern superhero flicks, particularly one's from Marvel Studios are very well done and contain a lot more then simple blow em up shots. They are decently good movies in their own right. If they provide good entertainment I see no reason why they should stop making them.

#19 Edited by dave123321 (34363 posts) -

It's glorious

#20 Posted by Ballroompirate (23692 posts) -

Nope, not getting tired of it all.

#21 Posted by themajormayor (24193 posts) -

Yes. For a very long time.

#22 Edited by Master_Live (15751 posts) -

If more are like Batman Begins, the merrier.

#23 Posted by osirisx3 (2023 posts) -

i got sick of them after the spiderman movie that started all this back in like 2000 lol. Super heros from comics are lame and are not cool at all sorry.

#24 Edited by Boddicker (3055 posts) -

*raises hand*

I watched Captain America 2 and I can say while it was quite a bit better than the first, I just think I'm finally burning out in superhero movies.

Atleast Marvel's. Idk about the DC universe. Those always seem to be done by better directors (usually).

#25 Posted by thegerg (15907 posts) -

Yes, someone is.

#26 Posted by foxhound_fox (90583 posts) -

So long as they remain of high quality and excellent production, I won't stop going to see them.

I can't wait for Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2 (Joss Whedon on the best comic book movie of all time: "It wasn't that great, I'll make the next one better").

#27 Posted by Master_Live (15751 posts) -

Yikes, Whedon is replacing Nolan?

#28 Posted by ferrari2001 (17288 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

I think Whedon was referencing the Avengers in that quote, and he was the director. He isn't replacing Nolan in anything?

#29 Posted by foxhound_fox (90583 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Avengers > Nolan

#30 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29728 posts) -
@foxhound_fox said:

@Master_Live said:

Avengers > Nolan

Most of what Whedon has done > Nolan (yes it's a slightly odd comparison because its comics + movies + TV vs movies but whatever)

#31 Edited by Master_Live (15751 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Master_Live said:

Avengers > Nolan

BB/TDK>Any super hero movie ever, and a lot of movies in the 2000's

#32 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

I mean I'm personally pretty tired of them. Most super-hero movies seem to follow a similar formula and end up so contrived complete with cliche humor. Having said that there are still plenty of good films, though most typically tend to come out at the end of the year. This past year was an extremely strong year with movies like Nebraska, Dallas Buyers Club, Llewyn Davis, her, 12 Years etc.

2014 has plenty of good films coming out too. Gone Girl looks like its going to be spectacular, Inherent Vice is practically a sure bet for amazing filmmaking, and just in the past month Grand Budapest Hotel and the Raid 2 have both come out.

#33 Edited by robokill (1064 posts) -

they need a more realistic approach, I'm sick of the campy over the top ridiculousness. If they actually made the heroes vincible and had a major character (not Peter's Aunt or Uncle) die they'd be better. I like the idea of them being heroes by their actions more than their intrinsic characteristics. Make it so hulk isn't invincible, what's the point of having an unkillable hero? Oh no... he got hit in the face with a big heavy metal thing.... again. It would be cool if Batman was just a ninja that lost all his money for a while

#34 Posted by foxhound_fox (90583 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Master_Live said:

Avengers > Nolan

No. They are excellent character dramas, but they aren't great comic book/superhero movies.

#35 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Of course not. I don't think there's enough of them. Can't wait for Batman vs Superman.

#36 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Master_Live said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Master_Live said:

Avengers > Nolan

No. They are excellent character dramas, but they aren't great comic book/superhero movies.

They are based on comic books and are great movies, hence they are great comic book movies. Fail logic on your end. Bow your head in shame.

#37 Posted by foxhound_fox (90583 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

They are based on comic books and are great movies, hence they are great comic book movies. Fail logic on your end. Bow your head in shame.

I'm not even going to try expressing my opinion anymore. People here don't seem to understand the concept of one.

#38 Posted by Aljosa23 (25884 posts) -

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

No because I don't watch them anyway, but yes because I want different Summer blockbusters.

#39 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

I'm not even going to try expressing my opinion anymore. People here don't seem to understand the concept of one.

Your opinion is illogical and subsequently wrong. For example, if I said that I think spaghetti is the most interesting species of turtle, my opinion would be wrong because spaghetti is not a type of turtle.

#40 Posted by foxhound_fox (90583 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

Your opinion is illogical and subsequently wrong.

#41 Edited by konvikt_17 (22342 posts) -

@pooptickler-- said:

I was really into the Walking Dead until I found out Daryl dies next season. :'(

Nice try.

that is from Pandorum

#42 Edited by konvikt_17 (22342 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Your opinion is illogical and subsequently wrong. For example, if I said that I think spaghetti is the most interesting species of turtle, my opinion would be wrong because spaghetti is not a type of turtle.

Well, you know, thats just, like, your opinion man.

i for one think that Penne is the most interesting species of turtle.

#43 Posted by platinumking320 (667 posts) -

@MrGeezer: Yep. arguably hollywoods been riding on geek expectancy since the rise of Coppolla, Brooks, Spielberg, Cameron, Verhoeven and Lucas.

That 'Tone at the top' with investors still means those salesmen don't care and hardly have a solid idea about what aspects are valued on their merits in culturally geek media, consumer electronic products etc.

They just want to ride the consumer compulsion train till it runs out of steam, and then declare a genre too risky when they wear it out.

We know Anything derivative can be made to be awesome without too much big business meddling and limited resources. I look at the films, The Raid Redemption and the The Raid 2: Berandal as clear evidence.

#44 Posted by Cyberdot (3917 posts) -

Yes, there's too many.

People just love explosions...

#45 Posted by NVIDIAking (34 posts) -

If they're done right, I'll continue to love them

#46 Posted by AcidTango (750 posts) -

Yeah there are too many of them. Ever since the original X-Men film from 2000 came out, there has been a huge amount of these Superhero films and it's starting to get old after 14 years.

#47 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (4539 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

They're the new Zombie fad. Granted I didn't watch that many superhero movies over the course of my life, but I honestly can't think of a single one of them that was really captivating or managed to leave any memorable impression on me.

The funny thing is how they're all getting sequels and remakes in a very short period of time. That's the definition of milking a franchise.

I don't know if it's a fad. xmen kicked this all off way back in 2000.\

Also to the OP. No, they're really entertaining, some decent stories and good action. I hope (and know based on box office numbers) this will be going on for a while.

#48 Posted by joehult (376 posts) -

As long as it is marvel, and not made by Sony, I usually go on opening weekend. Wb definitely bet on the wrong horse. superman is too strong to ever be interesting, batman is a whiny bitch, and the super friends seems to be perpetual vapor ware. If that little pussy hadn't o/d on all those pill, the dark knight would have been just another dc flop.

#49 Posted by Masculus (2878 posts) -

Yup. I'd trade ten avengers for a movie as good as the first Die Hard.

#50 Posted by one_plum (6364 posts) -

I don't know if I'm tired of the superhero genre or I'm just tired of blockbusters altogether. The last film I saw in the theaters was The Dark Knight Rises.