Anyone Else Miss X-Play?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elax92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By elax92
Member since 2009 • 48 Posts

So this is the first year that I streamed E3 coverage because G4 wasn't doing any coverage. And the whole thing got me thinking about how much I miss G4 back when it was "gamer TV". Arena, Cheat, Filter, these were the shows I grew up on. My favorite show was x-play. I'd watch it all the time, From it's beginning to the end last year. And now that it's gone I really miss it and the whole G4 network(I know it's still around in the US but it's far from it's glory days). Anyone else watch x-play as a kid?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I think I remember catching the show a few times and from what I recall it was decent. G4 is terrible now and I'm in the US. They went from a gaming network to...heck, I don't even know what they play now. It was taken over a couple of years ago and I haven't watched it since.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

Yes, X-Play and Attack of the Show, I wasn't even aware it was going off air until I like flipped it on and they were airing the last episode.

Personally, I blame them, and I wrote to them extensively in the past about broadcasting issues with X-Play. The show aired erratically all day long at different times, multiple times, but they never distinguished whether episodes were new or repeats. I'd end up having to record them all on my DVR, and check each one out to see if it was a new or a repeat it was such a chore, and because I had to say maybe use a save 5 shows feature on my DVR and then it started becoming a big issue with recording scheduling conflicts with other shows, and it would take up valuable space. I wrote to them extensively about it but they wouldn't budge on anything. I stopped recording and instead just would check the website for review and previews and such.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@elax92: lol ... G4 is dead to me long time ago ...... welcome back to the internet kid ....

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Nintendo haters... just like everyone else these days.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I miss G4 in general. I mean the REAL G4 station where it was primarily a video game station not what it is now. Like it when had shows such as Cinematech, X-Play, Cheat!, etc...

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Honestly no, Xplay was good at one point, but it kept going well past its prime.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@tocool340 said:

I miss G4 in general. I mean the REAL G4 station where it was primarily a video game station not what it is now. Like it when had shows such as Cinematech, X-Play, Cheat!, etc...

This.

elax92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 elax92
Member since 2009 • 48 Posts

@Japanese_Jade said:

Ah, G4TV. It was definitely at it's peak when it had shows like Cinematech, Filters, Cheat!, Icons, etc on air. X-Play sort of took a nose dive with the rest of the channel when it started airing cops and a whole bunch of other Fratboy TV nonsense. I can't say I miss it anymore. It continued to air past the point where I resented G4TV as a whole unfortunately.

Ya, it seemed like at some point they stopped trying to be "gamer TV" and tried to become "spike #2"

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41523 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Honestly no, Xplay was good at one point, but it kept going well past its prime.

This so much.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Mouth foams with nostalgia.... and yeah early X Play was pretty good too until G4 decided is funny to force Adam and Morgan to talk like dumb and dumber.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Anything that gets sessler off my tv is a good thing, I always thought the channel was mostly hokey anyways, and I have always preferred livestreaming for E3.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

not so much, but I miss Tech TV and The ScreenSavers~

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

I stopped watching x-play when they started getting bias and jumped on the sony hate train because it was in. I remember morgan webb criticizing the vita for the most ridiculous thing, she sounded like an idiot. but it was going down hill anyway so it was no lost. G4 basically got rid of any intelligence and made all there shows ignorant and stupid. The women on there were only used as eye candy, and they made a fool of themselves half the time. except the comic girl, she knew her stuff, but the shows just got bizarre. They made Adam Sesslar a buffoon for ratings and he was the only person on the entire network that knew games.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Yes. Back when the show was in its prime when it was just Sessler and Webb presenting I found it highly entertaining. I was less fond of the show in its later reformats. Sessler and Webb knew how to present, while some of the other hosts sounded like bored high school students reading their book reports in front of the class. TBH, this is a similar complaint that I have about some of Gamespot's video reviews.

-Byshop

TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TruthTellers
Member since 2012 • 3393 Posts
@Serraph105 said:

Yeah, I think it started to die when they made the set change back in 2007 and tried to be more "serious" with their reviews and then it completely died once they brought in that metrosexual guy to replace Sessler with. X-Play's reviews were always worthy of taking into account when buying a game, but the sketch comedy with characters like Drunk Link, Ratty, Shad Grimgravy, etc. made the show unique and entertaining.

I miss the old Xplay... and Adam's hair.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@TruthTellers said:

I miss the old Xplay... and Adam's hair.

So does Adam, my friend. So does Adam.

-Byshop