Anyone conceal carry on the daily?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#201 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I like this fairy tale idea that conceal carrying is going to somehow magically make you safe when out and about.

Having a gun in the home is one thing when you can then have the opportunity to get the jump on an intruder, but when you are out and about WTF are you going to do? Pull a gun out on someone because they are walking your way? If you get held up are you going to attempt some movie shit and try and pull your gun out on the person to turn the tables? That is a good way to get yourself shot.

It just seems to me that having a gun on you when getting into something like a mugging situation is only going to complicate things in your attackers favor. The whole reason that people get hurt on the street is because they get surprised by their attackers. Having a gun on you when you get surprised someone isn't a great thing when they person can take your gun and use it against you after getting the jump on you.

Then there's the very big issue of your pulling a gun on someone is going to immediately escalate the situation and make it much more likely that your attacker is going to go for the kill if they have the means. When you pull out your weapon you are basically putting your attacker into a situation where they are going to NEED to take you out. If you get held up they might take your money but they also might just let you live at least after.

I think most people who turn to guns for outside protection are forgetting that the utmost important thing that is going to save your ass more than anything is to just keep aware of your surroundings and not put yourself into dangerous situations to begin with and a gun helps with neither of those things. I personally like to walk to my car with my keys in hand in case anyone ever did try and jump me. Even car keys could make for a nice weapon as I could use them to jab into an attackers face, specifically their eyes. A street confrontation is almost always going to happen in melee distance anyways and guns aren't terribly good in those close quarters where the person is going to be in your face.

I honestly would prefer a knife for street protection over a gun ans I just see a gun being a lot more impractical in that situation and a much bigger danger to MYSELF having it on me.

Nothing will magically make you safe when you're out and about. To a trained individual, however, a gun can make all the difference.

As for your street confrontation scenario. Most handgun incidents occur within seven meters. So a handgun would be pretty handy(no pun intended) in a close-quarters situation. It's the reason cops are armed with handguns, since most interactions take place in that small distance.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#202 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Can't conceal a minigun.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@Brain_Duster said:

@always_explicit said:

I wish to see those who carry lethal weapons hurt themselves

I just wanted to clarify I dont want to see innocent people hurt

lmao

Well if you carry a weapon as a civilian and you are prepared to use it you are no longer an innocent bystander in my eyes, your a willing participant in choosing whether to kill others or not. If you carry a lethal weapon as a civilian I dont deem you to be innocent and If your decision to carry a weapon results in you getting hurt then I have no sympathy for you.

What I dont want is for the vast majority of people who dont carry firearms to be hurt at the hands of the few who do feel the desire. Just because joe bloggs feels a bit jumpy and cant tell a crackhead to **** off with conviction someone I know and love might get shot up.

I have zero respect for people who carry weapons on the street, its really as simple as that.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 always_explicit

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

I dont wish to see innocent people get hurt. I wish to see those who carry lethal weapons hurt themselves before they hurt others. Hence why I said "I hope you Cheddar Bob" yourself before you reproduce and didnt say "yeah go buy a gun and carry it daily so you can shoot whoever you feel "deserves it". I dont want to live in a society were people like you decide who "deserves it".

Anyway thats my final piece....I just wanted to clarify I dont want to see innocent people hurt which is a possibility as long as people carry lethal weapons....which I dont....as you know....so Im not sure what point your even trying to make. Enjoy your gun and your remaining brain cells.

Why would you ever wish someone who carries a firearm would hurt themselves? You're a pretty shitty human being if you want something like that to happen.

I dont carry guns around on streets because I dont feel like I should decide on behalf of all the human beings around me that I have the right to start popping shots off as and when I decide. Its selfish, dangerous, inconsiderate....I could go on.

On a similar train of thought if people who carry guns around the streets wind up getting themselves shot as a direct result of carrying those guns....I wont lose any sleep. You cant carry a gun and get all disgraced and appalled when people dont get upset about you getting shot.

Im not wishing those who carry weapons in the line of duty any harm because this is very much a different scenario to the onle discussed in this topic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

I dont wish to see innocent people get hurt. I wish to see those who carry lethal weapons hurt themselves before they hurt others. Hence why I said "I hope you Cheddar Bob" yourself before you reproduce and didnt say "yeah go buy a gun and carry it daily so you can shoot whoever you feel "deserves it". I dont want to live in a society were people like you decide who "deserves it".

Anyway thats my final piece....I just wanted to clarify I dont want to see innocent people hurt which is a possibility as long as people carry lethal weapons....which I dont....as you know....so Im not sure what point your even trying to make. Enjoy your gun and your remaining brain cells.

Why would you ever wish someone who carries a firearm would hurt themselves? You're a pretty shitty human being if you want something like that to happen.

I dont carry guns around on streets because I dont feel like I should decide on behalf of all the human beings around me that I have the right to start popping shots off as and when I decide. Its selfish, dangerous, inconsiderate....I could go on.

On a similar train of thought if people who carry guns around the streets wind up getting themselves shot as a direct result of carrying those guns....I wont lose any sleep. You cant carry a gun and get all disgraced and appalled when people dont get upset about you getting shot.

Im not wishing those who carry weapons in the line of duty any harm because this is very much a different scenario to the onle discussed in this topic.

You can dress it up all you want. You are still saying you wish people who carry guns to defend themselves get shot. That is an abhorrent thing to say and you should be ashamed of yourself.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 always_explicit

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

You can dress it up all you want. You are still saying you wish people who carry guns to defend themselves get shot. That is an abhorrent thing to say and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Well by carrying a gun you make a selfish decision to take people lives into your own hands so why should I value their life more than they value mine? I could wind up dead as a result of SOMEONE ELSE deciding THEY need a gun yet I am expected to get upset if THEY get shot. Not a chance.

Shame is something I would feel if I condoned people caring weapons on the street. Hoping they dont is something I am very proud of. Im satisfied with your judgement of me, its not something I will lose sleep over either.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 always_explicit

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

Well by carrying a gun you make a selfish decision to take people lives into your own hands so why should I value their life more than they value mine? I could wind up dead as a result of SOMEONE ELSE deciding THEY need a gun yet I am expected to get upset if THEY get shot. Not a chance.

Shame is something I would feel if I condoned people caring weapons on the street. Hoping they dont is something I am very proud of. Im satisfied with your judgement of me, its not something I will lose sleep over either.

"Well by carrying a gun you make a selfish decision to take people lives into your own hands"

Driving a car is demonstrably more dangerous. Have you ever driven a car? Talk about selfish...

The primary function of a car is not to kill and maim. Nor can I conceal one.

• Alaska: 144 gun deaths, 71 motor vehicle deaths
  • Arizona: 931 gun deaths, 795 motor vehicle deaths
  • Colorado: 555 gun deaths, 487 motor vehicle deaths
  • District of Columbia: 99 gun deaths, 38 motor vehicle deaths
  • Illinois: 1,064 gun deaths, 1,042 motor vehicle deaths
  • Louisiana: 864 gun deaths, 722 motor vehicle deaths
  • Maryland: 538 gun deaths, 514 motor vehicle deaths
  • Michigan: 1,076 gun deaths, 1,063 motor vehicle deaths
  • Nevada: 395 gun deaths, 289 motor vehicle deaths
  • Oregon: 458 gun deaths, 324 motor vehicle deaths
  • Utah: 314 gun deaths, 274 motor vehicle deaths
  • Virginia: 875 gun deaths, 728 motor vehicle deaths
  • Washington: 609 gun deaths, 554 motor vehicle deaths

This is excluding the obvious fact that cars are intended to transport not to kill.

All of the gun deaths would be avoidable if people simply gave up their weapons. The motor vehicle deaths are also avoidable, only if people choose to give up their cars.

I would rather live in a world without guns than a world without personal motor vehicles, each to their own.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By always_explicit

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit:

"Im not wishing those who carry weapons in the line of duty any harm"

Yes you are. You said it yourself. You told me "I hope ... that you cheddar bob yourself."

Anyway, your claim is that it is selfish to do something that puts others at risk, yet you choose to do something that puts countless others at risk. That's a silly and indefensible double standard.

How would you feel if I told you that I hope you and your family die in a horrible car wreck because you driving puts me at risk?

Well if you carry a firearm because your a police officer or a soldier your doing so because society has placed that responsibility on your shoulders and you have trained and been educated to use that weapon properly. It doesnt mean every civilian should carry daily thats two separate issues. Im not saying for one second I think soldiers and police officers shouldnt have guns. Im saying civilians should be forbidden.

Its not selfish not to do "something" because it puts others at risk. Its selfish to carry a lethal weapon on the off chance you feel in danger.

Everyone and their dog is aware of the risk of driving or being a passenger in a car. But the motor vehicle is a tool of convenience, its essential for businesses large and small, its essential for a modern society to function smoothly.

Hypothetical situation for you so we can crush this ridiculous car/gun comparison.

Tomorrow all motor vehicles puff into a cloud of smoke. Traders cant work, builders cant build, people cant travel, emergency service vehicles cant respond. Chaos...short term and long term. Our society is founded on the ability to travel should we choose to do so.

Tomorrow all "civilians" guns vanish into a puff of smoke....The USA transforms into every other country where carrying a gun is illegal. Those left with guns are armed services and the police with the correct and necessary training. There is no gun crime, no threat of gun violence.

Obviously these are impossible ideals but it serves to kick your ridiculous comparisons to touch. The negatives of guns being prevalent on the streets outweigh the benefits.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By always_explicit

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit:

Yes you are. You said it yourself. You told me "I hope ... that you cheddar bob yourself."

Anyway, your claim is that it is selfish to do something that puts others at risk, yet you choose to do something that puts countless others at risk. That's a silly and indefensible double standard.

How would you feel if I told you that I hope you and your family die in a horrible car wreck because you driving puts me at risk?

Well if you carry a firearm because your a police officer or a soldier your doing so because society has placed that responsibility on your shoulders and you have trained and been educated to use that weapon properly. It doesnt mean every civilian should carry daily thats two separate issues. Im not saying for one second I think soldiers and police officers shouldnt have guns. Im saying civilians should be forbidden.

Its not selfish not to do "something" because it puts others at risk. Its selfish to carry a lethal weapon on the off chance you feel in danger.

Everyone and their dog is aware of the risk of driving or being a passenger in a car. But the motor vehicle is a tool of convenience, its essential for businesses large and small, its essential for a modern society to function smoothly.

Hypothetical situation for you so we can crush this ridiculous car/gun comparison.

Tomorrow all motor vehicles puff into a cloud of smoke. Traders cant work, builders cant build, people cant travel, emergency service vehicles cant respond. Chaos...short term and long term. Our society is founded on the ability to travel should we choose to do so.

Tomorrow all "civilians" guns vanish into a puff of smoke....The USA transforms into every other country where carrying a gun is illegal. Those left with guns are armed services and the police with the correct and necessary training. There is no gun crime, no threat of gun violence.

Obviously these are impossible ideals but it serves to kick your ridiculous comparisons to touch. The negatives of guns being prevalent on the streets outweigh the benefits.

"society has placed that responsibility on your shoulders and you have trained and been educated"

Then why do you want me to "cheddar bob" myself? You've made a number of disgusting and inflammatory comments in this thread so far. You need to start acting like an adult and knock that off. Maybe it would do you well to seek some mental health counselling to help you with your violent desires.

"It doesnt mean every civilian should carry daily thats two separate issues"

It certainly doesn't, no one is saying that every civilian should carry. Try to stay on topic.

"Its selfish to carry a lethal weapon on the off chance you feel in danger."

Ok, no one is saying that's why anyone can, should, or does carry guns. Again, try to stay on topic.

I'm not sure why you insist on comparing guns to cars. You need to try to comprehend what I am saying, not keep trying to hear what you want to hear. Again, I AM NOT COMPARING GUNS TO CARS. I am comparing the THREAT that one presents to your family to the threat that the other does. YOU are the one that chose to frame the argument in terms of the threat that something presents your family, not me. The simple fact is that if you were honestly concerned about what is a threat to your family, the issue of LAWFULLY CARRIED concealed weapons wouldn't even be on your radar. The amount of gun crime committed by those lawfully carrying concealed weapons is minutely negligible. You're using your family's safety in a pawn to make a poorly thought-out argument on a topic that you are clearly quite ignorant about.

The threat of a gun is considerably more threatening than that of a motor vehicle. Specifically because motor vehicles are necessary and guns are not. Its not a complex argument yet you fail to comprehend it. I cant shelter and protect my family from cars because they are essential. I should be able to shelter my family from people who carry lethal weapons, but I cannot. That to me is inherently wrong. If you disagree...disagree. Thats your right. But your constant comparisons to cars and chewing gum do nothing for your argument.

I dont wish to shelter my family from every conceivable threat because its an impossibility, but the negatives of guns on the street outweigh the positives that they provide.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@always_explicit said:

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

"Well by carrying a gun you make a selfish decision to take people lives into your own hands"

Driving a car is demonstrably more dangerous. Have you ever driven a car? Talk about selfish...

This is excluding the obvious fact that cars are intended to transport not to kill.

All of the gun deaths would be avoidable if people simply gave up their weapons. The motor vehicle deaths are also avoidable, only if people choose to give up their cars.

I would rather live in a world without guns than a world without personal motor vehicles, each to their own.

I am sorry, but that's complete bullshit. The overwhelming majority of gun violence in the US is committed by gangs against other gangs, and they're not going to give up their guns or be constricted by any laws; this isn't fucking Britain or Australia where we're surrounded on all sides by water--we have porous borders that guarantee weapons will get in if there's demand. Wanna guess why Arizona has such high gun deaths? Because Phoenix is the central distribution chain for the Sinaloa cartel in the US. ****, my neighbors (kids and all) were all gunned down in what was very likely a cartel related hit given that it happened when I was awake and at the computer, yet no one heard gun shots. And I live in white, middle-class-as **** suburbia. Same with Illinois, Louisiana, and Michigan--all states with enormous gang populations (New Orleans, Detroit, and Chicago). You seem to think that it's you're average joe-schmo who conceal carries that typically causes people to die as a result of a stray bullet--ugh no! it's the fucking gang bangers who can't aim worth shit, and who shoot up their rivals at a public park--those are the fuckers who are primarily responsible for people getting hit by stray bullets.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 always_explicit

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit:

"society has placed that responsibility on your shoulders and you have trained and been educated"

Then why do you want me to "cheddar bob" myself? You've made a number of disgusting and inflammatory comments in this thread so far. You need to start acting like an adult and knock that off. Maybe it would do you well to seek some mental health counselling to help you with your violent desires.

"It doesnt mean every civilian should carry daily thats two separate issues"

It certainly doesn't, no one is saying that every civilian should carry. Try to stay on topic.

"Its selfish to carry a lethal weapon on the off chance you feel in danger."

Ok, no one is saying that's why anyone can, should, or does carry guns. Again, try to stay on topic.

I'm not sure why you insist on comparing guns to cars. You need to try to comprehend what I am saying, not keep trying to hear what you want to hear. Again, I AM NOT COMPARING GUNS TO CARS. I am comparing the THREAT that one presents to your family to the threat that the other does. YOU are the one that chose to frame the argument in terms of the threat that something presents your family, not me. The simple fact is that if you were honestly concerned about what is a threat to your family, the issue of LAWFULLY CARRIED concealed weapons wouldn't even be on your radar. The amount of gun crime committed by those lawfully carrying concealed weapons is minutely negligible. You're using your family's safety in a pawn to make a poorly thought-out argument on a topic that you are clearly quite ignorant about.

The threat of a gun is considerably more threatening than that of a motor vehicle. Specifically because motor vehicles are necessary and guns are not. Its not a complex argument yet you fail to comprehend it. I cant shelter and protect my family from cars because they are essential. I should be able to shelter my family from people who carry lethal weapons, but I cannot. That to me is inherently wrong. If you disagree...disagree. Thats your right. But your constant comparisons to cars and chewing gum do nothing for your argument.

I dont wish to shelter my family from every conceivable threat because its an impossibility, but the negatives of guns on the street outweigh the positives that they provide.

"The threat of a gun is considerably more threatening than that of a motor vehicle."

It's simply not. The numbers show us that. When we talk about lawfully carried concealed weapons that gad becomes even larger.

Here in the real world, where I live, it's clear and obvious that cars present a greater threat than a lawfully carried concealed weapon. If you want to outlaw one of those things, you are free to feel that way. But to argue that a gun presents a greater threat to the safety of your family is simply out of touch with reality. Facts and numbers show otherwise.

"I cant shelter and protect my family from cars because they are essential."

You certainly can. Move far away from any roads and walk everywhere. It's not realistic, but it's defiantly possible. Keep in mind, too, that you can't prevent people from carrying concealed weapons.

"But your constant comparisons to cars and chewing gum do nothing for your argument."

Again, I AM NOT COMPARING THOSE THINGS.

Surprisingly I can cope with a society that tolerates motor vehicles and the danger they present. I cannot cope with a society that tolerates its citizens carrying lethal firearms.

Luckily I am a million miles away from these issues and I can look upon them and those concerned with the contempt they deserve.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 always_explicit

@cfisher2833 said:

@always_explicit said:

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

I am sorry, but that's complete bullshit. The overwhelming majority of gun violence in the US is committed by gangs against other gangs, and they're not going to give up their guns or be constricted by any laws; this isn't fucking Britain or Australia where we're surrounded on all sides by water--we have porous borders that guarantee weapons will get in if there's demand. Wanna guess why Arizona has such high gun deaths? Because Phoenix is the central distribution chain for the Sinaloa cartel in the US. ****, my neighbors (kids and all) were all gunned down in what was very likely a cartel related hit given that it happened when I was awake and at the computer, yet no one heard gun shots. And I live in white, middle-class-as **** suburbia. Same with Illinois, Louisiana, and Michigan--all states with enormous gang populations (New Orleans, Detroit, and Chicago). You seem to think that it's you're average joe-schmo who conceal carries that typically causes people to die as a result of a stray bullet--ugh no! it's the fucking gang bangers who can't aim worth shit, and who shoot up their rivals at a public park--those are the fuckers who are primarily responsible for people getting hit by stray bullets.

So to your own admission the prevalence of guns in your society is the problem and not the solution.

Im not saying guns are going to be eradicated entirely never to be used by an american citizen ever again but surely stopping every man and his dog from legally purchasing/carrying and concealing is a step in the right direction. Leave the gun fights to the cops and the robbers.

These gun suicides are just appalling....What the hell....

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#219  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@airshocker said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I like this fairy tale idea that conceal carrying is going to somehow magically make you safe when out and about.

Having a gun in the home is one thing when you can then have the opportunity to get the jump on an intruder, but when you are out and about WTF are you going to do? Pull a gun out on someone because they are walking your way? If you get held up are you going to attempt some movie shit and try and pull your gun out on the person to turn the tables? That is a good way to get yourself shot.

It just seems to me that having a gun on you when getting into something like a mugging situation is only going to complicate things in your attackers favor. The whole reason that people get hurt on the street is because they get surprised by their attackers. Having a gun on you when you get surprised someone isn't a great thing when they person can take your gun and use it against you after getting the jump on you.

Then there's the very big issue of your pulling a gun on someone is going to immediately escalate the situation and make it much more likely that your attacker is going to go for the kill if they have the means. When you pull out your weapon you are basically putting your attacker into a situation where they are going to NEED to take you out. If you get held up they might take your money but they also might just let you live at least after.

I think most people who turn to guns for outside protection are forgetting that the utmost important thing that is going to save your ass more than anything is to just keep aware of your surroundings and not put yourself into dangerous situations to begin with and a gun helps with neither of those things. I personally like to walk to my car with my keys in hand in case anyone ever did try and jump me. Even car keys could make for a nice weapon as I could use them to jab into an attackers face, specifically their eyes. A street confrontation is almost always going to happen in melee distance anyways and guns aren't terribly good in those close quarters where the person is going to be in your face.

I honestly would prefer a knife for street protection over a gun ans I just see a gun being a lot more impractical in that situation and a much bigger danger to MYSELF having it on me.

Nothing will magically make you safe when you're out and about. To a trained individual, however, a gun can make all the difference.

As for your street confrontation scenario. Most handgun incidents occur within seven meters. So a handgun would be pretty handy(no pun intended) in a close-quarters situation. It's the reason cops are armed with handguns, since most interactions take place in that small distance.

Note that you are specifying most HANDGUN incidents.

My main reason that I feel conceal carrying is kind of silly for civilians is that when someone attacks you on the street, it is going to be them sneaking up on you and attacking you very close. I would think that the chances that you will be able to use your gun properly are slim to none in a street attack. The encounter is pretty much guaranteed to happen in arms length which is why I would rather turn to a knife instead. In those quarters it is going to be very hard to get a proper shot off with a gun and then there is the chance of you getting disarmed before being able to pull off a shot and now your attacker has a gun on you.

Officers carry guns because they are responding to such crazy scenarios, but the thing is those officers are also going to be aware that they are walking into a situation to begin with, and can be properly prepared to use their weapons. They also undergo tons of training to know how to react in different situations.

People talk about more guns being a good solution to mass shootings which to me is a very dumb idea as well. We have police officers around who get trained to be able to read situations and know how to handle them. I really dislike the idea of a bunch of idiots packing heat in a chaotic situation like a mass shooting. I could see people panic shooting innocent people amidst such a crazy scenario....

At the very least, I do see conceal carrying as being a big step up over open carry which is just one of the most obnoxiously dumb ideas around in my mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

One on one, the guy that draws first, usually wins. Now if 10 or more people are carrying and a mass shooting is going down, the gunman should be taken down with fewer lives lost. But one guy with a gun has little chance unless he's in the right spot, at the right time.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

@always_explicit said:

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_04.pdf At page 11, for 2010, around 33,000 deaths were attributed to motor vehicles. In 2010, for firearm homicides, around 11,000 deaths occurred. Most of the deaths caused by firearms are by suicide. I don't know why people think that if someone does conceal carry, they are going to be more dangerous to society than what else is around them. One particular thing that keeps popping up is this notion that if people conceal carry that they are A) Willing to go guns blazing and B) Are going to be horrendous shots shooting innocent bystanders. Sometimes even just pulling a gun on an attacker is enough to deter them to run away. But besides that, it seems certain people here believe that they are willing to shoot at anything, that their inhibition to kill is removed at a moment's notice. Just seem like ignorance and fear mongering to me.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

In the US, about 60% of Americans own firearms to protect themselves from one another. The US will never be Switzerland for that very reason.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@airshocker said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

My main reason that I feel conceal carrying is kind of silly for civilians is that when someone attacks you on the street, it is going to be them sneaking up on you and attacking you very close. I would think that the chances that you will be able to use your gun properly are slim to none in a street attack. The encounter is pretty much guaranteed to happen in arms length which is why I would rather turn to a knife instead. In those quarters it is going to be very hard to get a proper shot off with a gun and then there is the chance of you getting disarmed before being able to pull off a shot and now your attacker has a gun on you.

Officers carry guns because they are responding to such crazy scenarios, but the thing is those officers are also going to be aware that they are walking into a situation to begin with, and can be properly prepared to use their weapons. They also undergo tons of training to know how to react in different situations.

People talk about more guns being a good solution to mass shootings which to me is a very dumb idea as well. We have police officers around who get trained to be able to read situations and know how to handle them. I really dislike the idea of a bunch of idiots packing heat in a chaotic situation like a mass shooting. I could see people panic shooting innocent people amidst such a crazy scenario....

At the very least, I do see conceal carrying as being a big step up over open carry which is just one of the most obnoxiously dumb ideas around in my mind.

Most people aren't going to pull a gun if someone already has one on them. Coming from experience, despite what some people may say, people would rather live than lose their wallet.

But I don't think it's fair that you are basically boiling things down to one type of incident. Nothing EVER happens that simply and there are many other ways in which a gun would be useful.

Police officers don't have the best response times. More trained individuals with guns is definitely a good thing.

I dislike the idea of being told when and how I can defend myself, which is what this kind of comes down to: Do we allow people to carry concealed and defend themselves or do we tell them they don't have that right and that they have to rely on police. As it stands, the incidents of ILLEGAL gun use far outweigh the incidents of legal gun owners.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

Actually, I take your life into my hands by the simple fact that I'm a cop. You could wind up dead doing anything. Not sure how someone carrying concealed makes any difference in the matter.

Only someone who is mentally unstable would wish someone else got hurt when they aren't even doing anything to hurt you. You're a sick individual.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@airshocker said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@airshocker said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Most people aren't going to pull a gun if someone already has one on them. Coming from experience, despite what some people may say, people would rather live than lose their wallet.

But I don't think it's fair that you are basically boiling things down to one type of incident. Nothing EVER happens that simply and there are many other ways in which a gun would be useful.

Police officers don't have the best response times. More trained individuals with guns is definitely a good thing.

I dislike the idea of being told when and how I can defend myself, which is what this kind of comes down to: Do we allow people to carry concealed and defend themselves or do we tell them they don't have that right and that they have to rely on police. As it stands, the incidents of ILLEGAL gun use far outweigh the incidents of legal gun owners.

I bring such a scenario up as I am just pointing out different ways as to how a gun really wouldn't change a thing in an encounter.

Conceal carry is very much about being able to defend oneself in a street encounter though is it not?

Yes police aren't going to be there instantly, but at least they are properly trained. I do not feel that a civilian conceal carrying is going to be able to properly deal with a mass shooting scenario. I feel proper training is very much required to properly read a scenario like that. God police officers who undergo training and experience intense situations all the time still **** up in how they respond to situations still at times. I have zero faith in regular civilians being able to handle a mass shooting scenario which is why I would still prefer to wait on police in such a situation.

Never did I say I was advocating taking away conceal carry rights. I am merely speaking on why I would choose NOT to conceal carry and why I don't think it is a great choice.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 always_explicit

@airshocker said:
@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

Actually, I take your life into my hands by the simple fact that I'm a cop. You could wind up dead doing anything. Not sure how someone carrying concealed makes any difference in the matter.

Only someone who is mentally unstable would wish someone else got hurt when they aren't even doing anything to hurt you. You're a sick individual.

I never took issue with the police and armed forces using firearms because your trained how and when to make use of those weapons. What I dont like is the idea of civilians carrying concealed weapons. Its a simple concept. I live in the England so my life isnt in your hands. Nor do I have to worry about getting shot by anybody ever. Which is pretty awesome.

You can call me sick all you like, but you dont know me. So....jog on.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#227 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I always like to distance myself from people doing open carry.

They're...kinda paranoid and weird.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 always_explicit

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:
@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

I never took issue with the police and armed forces using firearms because your trained how and when to make use of those weapons. What I dont like is the idea of civilians carrying concealed weapons. Its a simple concept. I live in the England so my life isnt in your hands. Nor do I have to worry about getting shot by anybody ever. Which is pretty awesome.

"I never took issue with the police and armed forces using firearms"

Yes you did. You said "I hope...that you cheddar bob yourself", among other disgusting and inflammatory things.

"You can call me sick all you like, but you dont know me."

The fact that you want to see other people injured because they choose to do something that puts your family at less risk that they things that you do around your family is pretty sick. One doesn't have to know you to recognize that.

Are you sure your a policeman???

You seem more like a waaambulance driver to me.

Seriously. I dont like guns, you dont have to get all pissy about it. You said your bit, I said mine. Let it lie.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 always_explicit

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:
@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

Yes you did. You said "I hope...that you cheddar bob yourself", among other disgusting and inflammatory things.

The fact that you want to see other people injured because they choose to do something that puts your family at less risk that they things that you do around your family is pretty sick. One doesn't have to know you to recognize that.

Seriously. I dont like guns, you dont have to get all pissy about it. You said your bit, I said mine. Let it lie.

"Are you sure you['re] a policeman???"

No, and I've not said that I am.

I'm not being pissy about anything, haha. You're the one insulting those who disagree with you and wishing them serious injury. Grow up kiddo.

Go away.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By always_explicit

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:
@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

@airshocker said:

@always_explicit said:

"Are you sure you['re] a policeman???"

No, and I've not said that I am.

I'm not being pissy about anything, haha. You're the one insulting those who disagree with you and wishing them serious injury. Grow up kiddo.

Go away.

You came into a thread about carrying a weapon to insult those participating in conversation and wish them injury(then deny doing so). Maybe you're the one that should go.

I cant resist, your just such an idiot. Plus you insist on quoting me.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Someone should shoot down these quote chains to make it easier to read.