Any TV shows like Breaking Bad ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by telefanatic (2881 posts) -

Any similar shows like Breaking Bad ? I just love this show, cant wait for season 4.

#2 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -
I haven't seen all of Breaking Bad so I'm not sure if it changes drastically in the newer episodes, but Dexter is pretty similar in a "guy tries to hide a dark secret from his seemingly-normal life" way.
#3 Posted by cd_rom (13951 posts) -
Dexter is the closest I can think of. Weeds is kind of the same story but MUCH more light-hearted. Just don't go past season 3 with that show (and season 3 is pushing it.)
#4 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -
[size=11]I've also heard Dexter was similar, but have't seen it myself[/size].
#5 Posted by MrGeezer (56525 posts) -

As far as basic premise goes, Weeds is sort of like Breaking Bad. Single mother takes up selling marijuana in order to support her kids.

The primary differences are that...

1) Weeds is a comedy.

2) Weeds is on Showtime, so there are boobs and cursing, as well as no commercials.

3) Weeds was freaking great early on, but the last two seasons sort of sucked.

Anyway, just a hint to whoever is making Breaking Bad...end it before it starts to suck. Better to leave us fans asking for more, than to leave us wishing that the show had ended three seasons ago.

#6 Posted by MrGeezer (56525 posts) -

Dexter is the closest I can think of. Weeds is kind of the same story but MUCH more light-hearted. Just don't go past season 3 with that show (and season 3 is pushing it.)cd_rom

As far as Weeds goes, season 3 is pretty much the perfect stopping point as far as I'm concerned. Season 3 ends with Nancy's consequences destroying the community, and season 3 was still sort of funny (though not nearly as good as seasons 1 or 2). Perfect opportunity for new viewers to pretend that the show ends right there. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to have to find out what happens after Nancy moves.

It's just like the Alien series. It's too late for those of us who already watched anything after Aliens. But for viewers just starting to watch the Alien movies, stop after the second movie. Watch the first two movies, and don't watch another one. Sure, the story goes on. But those movie viewers are better off stopping after #2 and pretending like the series ended right there.

#7 Posted by cd_rom (13951 posts) -

[QUOTE="cd_rom"]Dexter is the closest I can think of. Weeds is kind of the same story but MUCH more light-hearted. Just don't go past season 3 with that show (and season 3 is pushing it.)MrGeezer

As far as Weeds goes, season 3 is pretty much the perfect stopping point as far as I'm concerned. Season 3 ends with Nancy's consequences destroying the community, and season 3 was still sort of funny (though not nearly as good as seasons 1 or 2). Perfect opportunity for new viewers to pretend that the show ends right there. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to have to find out what happens after Nancy moves.

It's just like the Alien series. It's too late for those of us who already watched anything after Aliens. But for viewers just starting to watch the Alien movies, stop after the second movie. Watch the first two movies, and don't watch another one. Sure, the story goes on. But those movie viewers are better off stopping after #2 and pretending like the series ended right there.

That's true for some cases, but it's not for others. Sometimes, continuing can actually make the show better. I know a lot of people regarded seasons 2 & 3 of Lost to be terrible while the rest were great. I've never seen Lost, so I can't comment on that, but you know what I mean.

I think the problem with Weeds was, they have no idea where to take it. In Season 4 and 5, Nancy is basically an idiot. They have no idea what to do with Silas so they just kind of make him doing random things that lead nowhere. Celia is extremely annoying and should have died long ago. Doug and Shane are completely useless. Andy is the only saving grace, but he isn't enough to carry the show.

Breaking Bad still has potential I think. I can tell they were having trouble figuring out what to do with Jesse (especially since they pretty much admitted it). However, I still have faith in the show. The third season was the best in my opinion (although season 2 had some very strong moments). I think they can pull off one more season.

#8 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -

If you think like i do, you won't like Dexter even CLOSE to Breaking Bad, they both have an anti-hero main character, but that's where all the similarities change. Breaking Bad is alot more dark than Dexter i find, something about the acting in Dexter seems almost B-rate/campy dark where as Breaking Bad is a bone chilling dark. Although not the same kind of show, Band of Brothers is the same quality as Breaking Bad. Could also check out the Sopranos.

#9 Posted by MrGeezer (56525 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="cd_rom"]Dexter is the closest I can think of. Weeds is kind of the same story but MUCH more light-hearted. Just don't go past season 3 with that show (and season 3 is pushing it.)cd_rom

That's true for some cases, but it's not for others. Sometimes, continuing can actually make the show better. I know a lot of people regarded seasons 2 & 3 of Lost to be terrible while the rest were great. I've never seen Lost, so I can't comment on that, but you know what I mean.

I think the problem with Weeds was, they have no idea where to take it. In Season 4 and 5, Nancy is basically an idiot. They have no idea what to do with Silas so they just kind of make him doing random things that lead nowhere. Celia is extremely annoying and should have died long ago. Doug and Shane are completely useless. Andy is the only saving grace, but he isn't enough to carry the show.

Breaking Bad still has potential I think. I can tell they were having trouble figuring out what to do with Jesse (especially since they pretty much admitted it). However, I still have faith in the show. The third season was the best in my opinion (although season 2 had some very strong moments). I think they can pull off one more season.

See, that's the thing...As far as Lost goes, I pretty much hated the last season overall (though I quite liked a few episodes). They didn't have everything planned out, but I'm sure that they had a general idea of where the story would end. Seasons 2 and 3 weren't as good as season 1, sure. But if I recall, after season 3, the show got locked down to six seasons. And end date was planned, which allowed the creators to work towards a planned end.

Same with Breaking Bad. If I recall, Vince Gilligan has stated very clearly that a lot of the writing is made up on the fly. But I also recall him saying that it was conceived as a 4 or 5 season story with an end. The end might change, sure. As details change, the story evolves. And what actually happens at the end might not be what was originally planned. Fine. The thing here is thaat even though they are winging a lot of this as they go along, it sonds like they still have SOME idea of their destination. They're just exploring possible ways to get there.

Weeds feels different to me. Weeds feels like the X-Files to me. It's not something like The Simpsons or Seinfeld that can literally go on forever, it feels like there has to actually BE a destination here. But unlike Lost or (I'm assuming) Breaking Bad, there seems to be no ****ing idea how this story is supposed to end. For a while, it really hasn't been going anywhere. If it WAS going somewhere, then the writers should have looked at a roadmap and found a better path to take once they saw that the path that they're on sucks. Weeds seems a lot like X-Files. The whole wide-reaching story that gave the ILLUSION of actually going somewhere, but never really went anywhere and just kept dragging on until everyone lost interest. My point being, Weeds has been sucking for a while now. If there's a destination worth visiting, then the writers and directors need to ****ing get us there. If they are unable to figure out a way to do so, then **** that show.

By contrast, I have total faith in Breaking Bad. Vince Gilligan admitted that a lot was done on the fly, but he surely has an end in sight, even if that end is changing as the series progresses.

#10 Posted by MrGeezer (56525 posts) -

If you think like i do, you won't like Dexter even CLOSE to Breaking Bad, they both have an anti-hero main character, but that's where all the similarities change. Breaking Bad is alot more dark than Dexter i find, something about the acting in Dexter seems almost B-rate/campy dark where as Breaking Bad is a bone chilling dark. Although not the same kind of show, Band of Brothers is the same quality as Breaking Bad. Could also check out the Sopranos.

FrostyPhantasm

That's one of the things that I LOOOOVE about Breaking Bad. There are certainly plenty of episodes in which nothing much actually happens. But even when that's the case, the character work and the dialogue just suck me in. Evenin the episodes with shocking and game-changing events, I constantly find some of my favourite moments to be the side-talk. The quiet and at-first-glance disposable character interactions and dialogue that are later seen to be what define the series.

The episode with the fly. Nothing happened. Literally it was 50 minutes of Walt and Jesse trying to kill a ****ing fly. But it's one of my favourite episodes of the season. And taking into account the shocking things that have happened over the course of the season, I think that's saying something to the show's credit.

#11 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
If you like shows about the drug trade then The Wire is a good place to go...
#12 Posted by Ultrabeatdown55 (15314 posts) -

FrostyPhantasm
Dexter is 10x darker than Breaking Bad... Unless Breaking Bad did some crazy dark things in Season 3 (I am on episode 9 of Season 2 at the moment) then maybe, but Dexter is extremely dark.
#13 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

Ultrabeatdown55

Dexter is 10x darker than Breaking Bad... Unless Breaking Bad did some crazy dark things in Season 3 (I am on episode 9 of Season 2 at the moment) then maybe, but Dexter is extremely dark.

Not to spoil any but don't judge 'till you watch Season 3 or even the last part of Season 2

#14 Posted by Ultrabeatdown55 (15314 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"][QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

Toriko42

Not to spoil any but don't judge 'till you watch Season 3 or even the last part of Season 2

Thats why I said unless...
#15 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toriko42"]

[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"]Dexter is 10x darker than Breaking Bad... Unless Breaking Bad did some crazy dark things in Season 3 (I am on episode 9 of Season 2 at the moment) then maybe, but Dexter is extremely dark.Ultrabeatdown55

I disagree, it TRIES to be darker, but it's really not at all. The PLOT is dark, but the execution, acting, and characters are not. The most dark character on the show is Dexter's dad. It comes off as a campy attempt at dark humor instead of "Wow he's messed up". When i see dexter i see a character in a tv show acting. When i see Walt in BB i think "Damn, this guy has problems"

#16 Posted by Ultrabeatdown55 (15314 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"][QUOTE="Toriko42"] Not to spoil any but don't judge 'till you watch Season 3 or even the last part of Season 2

FrostyPhantasm

I disagree, it TRIES to be darker, but it's really not at all. The PLOT is dark, but the execution, acting, and characters are not. The most dark character on the show is Dexter's dad. It comes off as a campy attempt at dark humor instead of "Wow he's messed up". When i see dexter i see a character in a tv show acting. When i see Walt in BB i think "Damn, this guy has problems"

Did you watch the Season 4 finale :|

#17 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"][QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"]Thats why I said unless...Ultrabeatdown55

Did you watch the Season 4 finale :|

Yep. It was a twist for sure, but it just doesn't FEEL dark.

#18 Posted by depend3ncy (623 posts) -

No, because BB is a sleep fest for slugs

Watch Dexter and Supernatural, or gtfo

#21 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"][QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"]Did you watch the Season 4 finale :|

RuskiMike

your dumb, walt cooks meth, dexter kills people then cuts them up into tiny pieces because he needs to and cant help himself.....your right walt definately seems darker than dexter, i can see what ur saying now

Umadbro? Did you make an account just to bring back a thread from months ago because you disagree? Not to mention [spoiler] Walt has shot people and run people over and melted 2 people using chemicals [/spoiler]

#22 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14449 posts) -

[QUOTE="RuskiMike"][QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

FrostyPhantasm

your dumb, walt cooks meth, dexter kills people then cuts them up into tiny pieces because he needs to and cant help himself.....your right walt definately seems darker than dexter, i can see what ur saying now

Umadbro? Did you make an account just to bring back a thread from months ago because you disagree?

I guess we'll never know....

Oh well.