Any MtG players here?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I was just wondering if there are any other MtG players here, and if so what kind of deck do you play and what is your rarest card?

I play a black and blue deck that me and my friend threw together based off of the Grab for Power starter deck and some cards he had. I got some boosters the other day and pulled a Liliana of the Veil which is like $30, so I was pretty happy about that.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
I used to play a lot when i was a kid. Haven't played in years.
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

Used to play had a black/white deck, just sold all the rare cards I had for $400.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Drakes_Fortune

Used to play had a black/white deck, just sold all the rare cards I had for $400.

Communist_Soul
That much? How many rare card did you have? I have a lot too, but i'm not sure if i would wanna sell them.
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Communist_Soul

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

Drakes_Fortune

That much? How many rare card did you have? I have a lot too, but i'm not sure if i would wanna sell them.

Had 328 of them, if you don't play try to sell them, took about a day to sell on kijiji.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Drakes_Fortune

[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"][QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

Communist_Soul

Had 328 of them, if you don't play try to sell them, took about a day to sell on kijiji.

I probably don't have that many. But what if they get more valuable in a few years? I'm gonna wait, i don't need to sell them right now.
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Communist_Soul

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"] That much? How many rare card did you have? I have a lot too, but i'm not sure if i would wanna sell them.Drakes_Fortune

I probably don't have that many. But what if they get more valuable in a few years? I'm gonna wait, i don't need to sell them right now.

Really depends on the card some will be worth a ton but some are worth about nickel. Like if you have Black Lotus you can get about 3000 grand for it.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Drakes_Fortune

[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"][QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

Communist_Soul

Really depends on the card some will be worth a ton but some are worth about nickel. Like if you have Black Lotus you can get about 3000 grand for it.

Yeah i know, a friend of a friend of mine used to have it, dunno if he sold it or not.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
I still play! Me and buddies get together occasionally with a half gallon of vodka and play till late in the morning. Also Innistrad and Dark Ascension are two of my favorite sets in a very very long time.
Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I still play! Me and buddies get together occasionally with a half gallon of vodka and play till late in the morning. Also Innistrad and Dark Ascension are two of my favorite sets in a very very long time. Juggernaut140

Sounds like me and my friends, minus the vodka. I got into it right before Innistrad came out, and I'm ordering an Avacyn Restored booster box. What kind of deck do you play?

rimmyroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rimmyroo
Member since 2002 • 44 Posts
I don't play but have a ton of old cards in boxes from Unlimited to Chronicles.
nZiFFLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nZiFFLe
Member since 2009 • 1481 Posts

i've now wanted to get into it, but i currently don't have the funds to spare for it; it seems like an expensive hobby, and i already got one of those. i will definitely try it at a later date, though.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Juggernaut140

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]I still play! Me and buddies get together occasionally with a half gallon of vodka and play till late in the morning. Also Innistrad and Dark Ascension are two of my favorite sets in a very very long time. Xeogua

Sounds like me and my friends, minus the vodka. I got into it right before Innistrad came out, and I'm ordering an Avacyn Restored booster box. What kind of deck do you play?

It varies. I've been trying to create a good zombie deck but deck building was never my forte, Usually I use my soldier deck, my Sliver deck, my Mulch deck, or my goblin deck. I've only been able to get 2 boosters from Dark Ascension cause of money problems. When does Avacyn Restored come out?
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juggernaut140

i've now wanted to get into it, but i currently don't have the funds to spare for it; it seems like an expensive hobby, and i already got one of those. i will definitely try it at a later date, though.

nZiFFLe
Yup. Between drinking, cigarettes, buying records, and painting DIY patches; I'm surprised I had any spare cash for MTG.
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Hi

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

I play quite a bit. I have a group collection with a couple of people and I think the rarest thing we have is a foil tarmogoyf.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Guybrush_3

nZiFFLe

It's only expensive if you play competitively and aren't very good. If you play casually then you can just play with whatever cards you have and you can get pretty good cards for relatively cheap if they aren't in a good deck in a relivant format like standard or modern. If you play competitively and you're good then you can usually convince people to let you borrow cards to start with and then you can get more cards from winning tournaments and stuff.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Necrifer

I play quite a bit. I have a group collection with a couple of people and I think the rarest thing we have is a foil tarmogoyf.

Guybrush_3

That's super cool.

Wish I could find my goyf...I would have kept better track of it when I was younger if I was told the cards actually had value.

I swear I saw it one night while randomly looking through my room and never saw it again. It has to be in there somewhere. :/

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="Xeogua"]

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]I still play! Me and buddies get together occasionally with a half gallon of vodka and play till late in the morning. Also Innistrad and Dark Ascension are two of my favorite sets in a very very long time. Juggernaut140

It varies. I've been trying to create a good zombie deck but deck building was never my forte, Usually I use my soldier deck, my Sliver deck, my Mulch deck, or my goblin deck. I've only been able to get 2 boosters from Dark Ascension cause of money problems. When does Avacyn Restored come out?

The prerelease is this weekend (a great time to enter your first tournament if your local gamestore hosts a prerelease) and it releases next friday.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Black-Blue is the best combo. Brains over Brawn. I play Warhammer 40k now though. It's cheaper in the long run.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I used to play tournies in real life and online, but I quit when Jace.dek was super powered.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Guybrush_3

I used to play tournies in real life and online, but I quit when Jace.dek was super powered.

immortality20

That format was a nightmare for anyone that didn't own Jaces and stoneforges, but before new pherexia came out I actually had a ton of fun with Caw-blade and RUG because I could out play opponents for days. Then batterskull came along and completely ruined everything. (although stoneforge and Jace probably would have gotten the ban hammer either way)

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#23 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

[QUOTE="immortality20"]

Guybrush_3

That format was a nightmare for anyone that didn't own Jaces and stoneforges, but before new pherexia came out I actually had a ton of fun with Caw-blade and RUG because I could out play opponents for days. Then batterskull came along and completely ruined everything. (although stoneforge and Jace probably would have gotten the ban hammer either way)

I despised it so, just so overpowered. Even with the bannings it didn't really help much. I never played in new standard, but I need my usual couple year break to have fun with it again, though I still have a couple EDH decks.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19587 Posts

I played it for about ten years, from Mirage to Kamigawa (more or less).

It was awesome for a while, but I started to lose interest in the game after the end of the Weatherlight Saga - all of the background lore stuff after that was totally lame in comparison, and some of the blocks just weren't very fun to play with/against (like Mirrodin). Combine a lack of interest with more schoolwork and a lack of money, and I just never went back to it.

Maybe I should sell my cards one day. I have thousands of the damn things, but...ehh...

*edit*

As for colours, I suppose Black was always my favourite. I mostly played Black/Blue or Black/Red, although I didn't really stick with any one combination for too long.

And rarest card? Gah, I don't know what any of them are worth anymore. Looking at the price guides, I've got cards from the top ten of most of those sets, but nothing ridiculously valuable.

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
I play White & Green. Don't know what my rarest card is though I have some 5th Edition decks from the 90's which might be worth something, not sure.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Blue/Black player reporting in.

I actually just finished my Kamigawa block Ninja deck. Ninjutsu is such an awesome ability.

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

I like MtG but don't buy the cards or anything, it's too expensive for a student such as myself.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Drakes_Fortune

I played it for about ten years, from Mirage to Kamigawa (more or less).

It was awesome for a while, but I started to lose interest in the game after the end of the Weatherlight Saga - all of the background lore stuff after that was totally lame in comparison, and some of the blocks just weren't very fun to play with/against (like Mirrodin). Combine a lack of interest with more schoolwork and a lack of money, and I just never went back to it.

Maybe I should sell my cards one day. I have thousands of the damn things, but...ehh...

*edit*

As for colours, I suppose Black was always my favourite. I mostly played Black/Blue or Black/Red, although I didn't really stick with any one combination for too long.

And rarest card? Gah, I don't know what any of them are worth anymore. Looking at the price guides, I've got cards from the top ten of most of those sets, but nothing ridiculously valuable.

Planeforger
Weatherlight was epic, i used to love the backstory behind it. They should totally make a Magic movie.
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Necrifer

I HATED standard during WW. Top 8: Stoneforge, Stoneforge, MORE Stoneforge!

On another note, U/B players make the game unfun. It's not fun to play U/B, it's not fun to play against U/B. It's boring.
Everyone using U/B, just stop playing.

Seraphy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Seraphy-
Member since 2011 • 1562 Posts

immortality20
This is basically me (minues online part). The whole fvcking Jace bullsh!t made me more aware of the fact that 90% of decks out there were built around cheap, turn 3 wins than actual fun. I'll still play the occasional draft because they're the only format without that nonsense, but otherwise my desire to play the game has died.
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Necrifer

I'll still play the occasional draft because they're the only format without that nonsense, but otherwise my desire to play the game has died.

Seraphy-

This is where I'm at too. I have the cards to make a decent deck but constructed is stupid.