any ideas on how to remove a stripped screw

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nightshade85
Member since 2004 • 5652 Posts
I got replacement screws for my psp today and for the last 3-4 hours I have been trying to get a screw out of the back of the sob. granted it is a screw from my tv remote so it is a little big and I can't even get the thing to budge , I mean it would move but it won't come out - the screw looks pretty stripped right now - I can hardly get the screwdriver to slide into the groove anymore - only if I apply a ton of pressure - I have taken the psp apart about 5-6 times already inspecting any possible way to get at that damn screw - I have considered cutting the plastic of the outside - somehow I know that would be a disaster and I would damage the circuit board underneath - also I have tried screaming at it and I have tried yelling at it - no results
Avatar image for Taxpaying_Acorn
Taxpaying_Acorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Taxpaying_Acorn
Member since 2004 • 4952 Posts
The only way to get out a stripped screw is to get a set of needle-nose pliers and hope there's some screw left to vice it on. Nothing else you can do.
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
there are stripped screw remover tools.  like 10 bux at sears
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Is the thread stripped or is the head stripped?
MrPenguinKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrPenguinKing
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts
Waver your big stick at it.
nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nightshade85
The only way to get out a stripped screw is to get a set of needle-nose pliers and hope there's some screw left to vice it on. Nothing else you can do.Taxpaying_Acorn
no, it's about a 3/8 hole - I can only see the top of the screw in the light
there are stripped screw remover tools. like 10 bux at searsinyourface_12
really? - how does it work?
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

[QUOTE="Taxpaying_Acorn"]The only way to get out a stripped screw is to get a set of needle-nose pliers and hope there's some screw left to vice it on. Nothing else you can do.nightshade85

something about magnets and a little latch thingy.  idk.  i saw them when my dad and me grabbed a stripped bolt remover

nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nightshade85
Is the thread stripped or is the head stripped?FragStains
the head - I can see the bottom of the thread if I take the face plate off - I've tried loosening it - it's very stubborn
Waver your big stick at it.MrPenguinKing
I do - but only if it's working
Taxpaying_Acorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Taxpaying_Acorn
[QUOTE="Taxpaying_Acorn"]The only way to get out a stripped screw is to get a set of needle-nose pliers and hope there's some screw left to vice it on. Nothing else you can do.nightshade85

Is the screw recessed into the device? Hm. Well, if you can't get pliers on it, the next thing I'd try is to just push really hard on it. Even if its stripped, if you can apply enough pressure, the force of the screwdriver onto the head should be enough to get it to move.
nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nightshade85

[QUOTE="nightshade85"][QUOTE="Taxpaying_Acorn"]The only way to get out a stripped screw is to get a set of needle-nose pliers and hope there's some screw left to vice it on. Nothing else you can do.inyourface_12

something about magnets and a little latch thingy. idk. i saw them when my dad and me grabbed a stripped bolt remover

I'll check it out - this is a very tiny screw and it is concealed down a hole
Taxpaying_Acorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Taxpaying_Acorn
One thing you can do... this requires a power drill... is to use the smallest bit and drill a hole out of the center of the screw. Then use progressively larger bits until you just grind the sucker right out of there. Also, try putting a squirt of WD-40 down in there to try to get the threads to loosen up.
nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nightshade85
[QUOTE="nightshade85"][QUOTE="Taxpaying_Acorn"]The only way to get out a stripped screw is to get a set of needle-nose pliers and hope there's some screw left to vice it on. Nothing else you can do.Taxpaying_Acorn

Is the screw recessed into the device? Hm. Well, if you can't get pliers on it, the next thing I'd try is to just push really hard on it. Even if its stripped, if you can apply enough pressure, the force of the screwdriver onto the head should be enough to get it to move.

yes it is. pliers are not gonna work - I have tried forcing it out from the bottom end by hitting the end of the screwdriver while it is in place - if it moved I can't tell -yeah thats true, with enough pressure it does move slightly - I did that forever and it never came out - I am just adding insult to injury by using the same method
Taxpaying_Acorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Taxpaying_Acorn
If you ever do get the screw out... don't put one back in. The threading is most likely bent now that you've finagled with it so much. So you're just going to get the next screw stuck in there too :?
nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nightshade85
One thing you can do... this requires a power drill... is to use the smallest bit and drill a hole out of the center of the screw. Then use progressively larger bits until you just grind the sucker right out of there. Also, try putting a squirt of WD-40 down in there to try to get the threads to loosen up.Taxpaying_Acorn
lol this is gonna be a disaster - I think there is an electric screwdriver around here somewhere - I think that if power and drill are in the same sentence and I am in control I will lose a valuable body part
andyxm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 andyxm
Member since 2006 • 6194 Posts
you're screwed.
nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nightshade85
If you ever do get the screw out... don't put one back in. The threading is most likely bent now that you've finagled with it so much. So you're just going to get the next screw stuck in there too :?Taxpaying_Acorn
the screw thats in there now is too big - the replacement is the right size and a good deal smaller - my main concern is getting the stripped one out of there - it is only creating problems
nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nightshade85
you're screwed.andyxm
lol I have used that homonym quite a few times already - at one point I told my psp to go screw itself, it took me a minute to get it