Any Gamers with Arthritis or Carpal Tunnel?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Salanderr (42 posts) -

I'm 22 now but have had troubles with pain in my hands and wrists on and off since I was 17. I love gaming, but like many other things I enjoy gaming is painful for me. In the past I've had steroid injections under ultrasound into the tendons of my hands, due to them being overly inflamed. As well as different medications and wrist braces etc.

In a few weeks I have another doctors appointment since they have gotten bad again. I think I'll be tested for things like arthritis and carpal tunnel. It's really made me have to slow down on gaming, computer use, drawing etc. 

Are there any other gamers here who suffer from a similar thing, and know any tips etc for those of us who's favourite hobby causes them great pain? Would any of you stop gaming altogether if a doctor told you you had to? 

#2 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6343 posts) -

I've had pretty bad joints all my life and when I used to go to the gym 5 times a week, it made it much worse. This lead to me quitting the gym. If my hands hurt when gaming I think I would stop before the doctor had a chance to tell me to stop

#3 Posted by foxhound_fox (91170 posts) -
I have tendinitis in my elbows and knees, but not from gaming.
#4 Posted by Angie7F (1175 posts) -

I have very weak joints too.

Ever since I was a kid when my mom pulls a sweater off me, my arms get dislocated.

Also I am trained professionally as a maddage therapist but if I over do it, my wrists will get swollen.

#5 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
I often game, but only time I experienced injury was when I played Diablo 3, though luckily I lost interest in it in 2 days. Unlucky for the £45 though.
#6 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -
Nope I'm fine
#7 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

I have tendinitis in my elbows and knees, but not from gaming.foxhound_fox
i have this once in my wrist from gaming. its not fun i had to go cold for about a year before it finally got better. i now use an ergo keyboard rest and ergo mouse. 

#8 Posted by MAZ85 (1094 posts) -

I'm 22 now but have had troubles with pain in my hands and wrists on and off since I was 17. I love gaming, but like many other things I enjoy gaming is painful for me. In the past I've had steroid injections under ultrasound into the tendons of my hands, due to them being overly inflamed. As well as different medications and wrist braces etc.

In a few weeks I have another doctors appointment since they have gotten bad again. I think I'll be tested for things like arthritis and carpal tunnel. It's really made me have to slow down on gaming, computer use, drawing etc. 

Are there any other gamers here who suffer from a similar thing, and know any tips etc for those of us who's favourite hobby causes them great pain? Would any of you stop gaming altogether if a doctor told you you had to? 

Salanderr
surgery in the radical solution for carpal tunnel syndrom
#9 Posted by Salanderr (42 posts) -

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I have tendinitis in my elbows and knees, but not from gaming.ionusX

i have this once in my wrist from gaming. its not fun i had to go cold for about a year before it finally got better. i now use an ergo keyboard rest and ergo mouse. 

I've been considering getting an ergonomic keyboard and mouse. I've never used one before. Do you have a brand you'd recommend?
#10 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I have tendinitis in my elbows and knees, but not from gaming.Salanderr

I've been considering getting an ergonomic keyboard and mouse. I've never used one before. Do you have a brand you'd recommend?

mouse wise i recommend tt e-sports, logitech or razer if it must be a gaming mouse. if not logitech or if your ultra cheapskate ihome and M$.

keyboards, logitech was hands down the best eevr but you can buy assit wrests for your wrists and use non ergo keyboards. thats what i do

they work pretty good just dont expect to find many keybaords that are both ergonomic and highly gamer recommended that arent labelled "logitech g15 rev 2.0" or "razer"

#11 Posted by Truf89 (4670 posts) -
I guess I do a bit, texting on my phone doesn't help much either.
#12 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

I guess I do a bit, texting on my phone doesn't help much either.Truf89
watch out that can also ruin the enrve endings in your fingers. which can mean in the end your going to have issues operating finger tools when your 55

#13 Posted by Diablo-B (4061 posts) -
Dont worry. Microsoft made their Kinect with people like you in mind. For now on just play Kinect games
#14 Posted by Salanderr (42 posts) -
Dont worry. Microsoft made their Kinect with people like you in mind. For now on just play Kinect gamesDiablo-B
Well thats just depressing.
#15 Posted by Truf89 (4670 posts) -
[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Dont worry. Microsoft made their Kinect with people like you in mind. For now on just play Kinect gamesSalanderr
Well thats just depressing.

I hurt my knee playing a videogame!!
#16 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Got good joints, and I be benching in the 4 plate club.

I might get a "tightness" if I do something awkward. 

#17 Posted by BranKetra (50225 posts) -

Salanderr
I consider my health a priority greater than entertainment.