Any Comcast users here? I have some questions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 DazedDarkness
Member since 2008 • 2261 Posts

So I've been using Verizon for a bit now, and it's a terrible service.
There techs are lazy, they don't fix anything, and it seems as if they don't know what they're doing.

I'm thinking of leaving and going to comcast, which is the only other option in my area. I know some people would argue that they're not any better, and you're basically dealing with the lesser of two evils. But I'm tired of Verizon's crap, I've had connection problems since April 2011, and it cuts into my work. They've only ever did minor fixes, and made the connection slightly better.

But a few questions

1. How often do you hit their data cap? I hear it's 200 or 250GB a month, and if you hit it more than twice in a years, you get locked out of the service for a year.
  2. How are they on file sharing(legal)?
  3. How often does it drop? If ever.

I remember having Comcast internet and cable with a roomate( I moved in with him, he had the service before I moved in and he handled it)back a few years ago. It hardly ever dropped as often as Verizon. The technicians seemed to do their job, and fix things unlike Verizon's. But I never paid too much attention to it, since it wasn't my bill to pay.

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DazedDarkness

Anyone?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I use to have Comcast. They're seriously sh*tty, especially their technicians. At one point I had a problem where my connection kep droping and it took no less than 6 different visits from 6 different technicians to finally figure out what the problem was. And the one who did fix it managed to do so in about 2 minutes.

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

whats good about Comcast? just curious to see which internet and cable is the best

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DazedDarkness

Well I need something, because I can't keep using this crap.
I swear, here in America it seems like you can't get good service from anything anymore"
All you get is the runaround. Is there a such thing as a "good isp"?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
1. They don't have limits(at least here). 2. They don't care what you do on the internet. 3. More then I'd like.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I have a 250 gig cap with them and I have yet to hit it once. I download quite a bit of stuff off Steam and use netflix quite often.

I have no complaints. I wish there was no cap, but it's generously high. It really is only to stop people from excessive torrenting.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

It depends on how many users are connected to the internet in the household. As for me, there were 2 heavy data users and the only time we reached around 200GB were in the summer time since there was no school. As for going over, you pay more per GB if you go over the cap.

File sharing wise, its okay if it's legal obviously. But i do hear that they send you warnings if its illegal.

It rarely drops for me. But i think thats mostly due to the other router connected to the comcast modem.

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DazedDarkness

I use to have Comcast. They're seriously sh*tty, especially their technicians. At one point I had a problem where my connection kep droping and it took no less than 6 different visits from 6 different technicians to finally figure out what the problem was. And the one who did fix it managed to do so in about 2 minutes.

worlock77
What service do you use now?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 worlock77

Well I need something, because I can't keep using this crap.
I swear, here in America it seems like you can't get good service from anything anymore"
All you get is the runaround. Is there a such thing as a "good isp"?

DazedDarkness

There isn't, because all ISPs get bought up by larger ones until there's just one or two in an area that have a virtual monopoly on internet service.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It depends on how many users are connected to the internet in the household. As for me, there were 2 heavy data users and the only time we reached around 200GB were in the summer time since there was no school. As for going over, you pay more per GB if you go over the cap. File sharing wise, its oaky if it's legal obviously. But i do hear that the send you warnings if its illegal. It rarely drops for me. But i think thats mostly due to the other router connected to the comcast modem.DroidPhysX

I've gotten the warnings before. They don't do much but send you a stern warning letter. I think if you get 10 of them in a year you may get your internet canceled or something. I think they just do it to prevent them from getting sued.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

DazedDarkness

What service do you use now?

Mediacom, which isn't greatly better. In this area we have Mediacom or AT&T. When I had Comcast I lived in a different city.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts
  • I would definitely switch to Comcast if they're the proprietary cable provider for your area.
  • You also need to compare Data rates per price. You want at least 15 Mbps for 2MB/s download.
  • As far customer service goes, it all from the same crop. It's like saying Burger King employees are better than McDonalds. It depends.
  • Comcast does have a 250 GB but they're pretty lenient about it. As a frequent utorrent user and HD streamer I've purposely hit the cap about twice in the last 4 months but it's managable if you care. Their Business version doesn't have a cap but it cost a little more.
GeForce2187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GeForce2187
Member since 2006 • 2963 Posts
I have Comcast for my internet provider, the town I live in has a contract with them so I have the choice of Comcast or no internet at all.

How often do you hit their data cap? I hear it's 200 or 250GB a month, and if you hit it more than twice in a years, you get locked out of the service for a year.

My house uses very large amounts of data but even if we have hit the cap I haven't been aware of any action taken on Comcast's part.

How are they on file sharing(legal)?

Never had any issues with this.

How often does it drop? If ever.

We used to have issues with this, but it turns out the problem was an old modem. I'm aware sure of any service outages since getting a new modem with the exception of the hurricane last August.