Anti-gun policy hitting a new low?

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:
@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

Truth be told, it doesn't actually matter if it's public or private property. You're still not allowed to limit someone's rights.

It's their property, of course they can say you can't bring guns on it.

Of course they can say whatever they want. My point is that I don't think they should be allowed to limit anybody's constitutional rights. While that's only been proven in some places with regards to the first amendment, I think eventually it's going to be shown that they can't limit any rights.

It's my private property, I can tell you that you cannot bring a gun on my property. And if you do so, then I will have you removed.

You could, and I could bring a gun anyway and you could take it up with my department. Bad example.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@airshocker said:
@PannicAtack said:
@airshocker said:
@Master_Live said:

Seeing how it is a private institution I would either conform to their policy or change school. It sucks for her.

That excuse doesn't fly. Constitutional amendments apply to everything in the United States. That includes private property.

Not really. If I were to, for example, walk into a restaurant and start spouting racist rhetoric, and they were to kick me out, would I be able to sue them? Would I have grounds for that? No. Because it's their private property and they can kick me out for whatever reason they like, provided it doesn't go into the area of illegal discrimination.

No where in the first amendment does it say you have freedom from the consequences of your speech, so I'm not sure what your point is. The owners of that property aren't limiting your speech, they're kicking you out because of it. That's the difference.

So then wouldn't what the college is doing essentially be saying we kick you off campus if you carry around a gun? How is it different?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@PannicAtack said:

@airshocker said:
@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

Truth be told, it doesn't actually matter if it's public or private property. You're still not allowed to limit someone's rights.

Of course they can say whatever they want. My point is that I don't think they should be allowed to limit anybody's constitutional rights. While that's only been proven in some places with regards to the first amendment, I think eventually it's going to be shown that they can't limit any rights.

Technically they aren't limiting any rights. What they're actually doing is exercising their right to remove someone from their property. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't disagree with a person's right to remove someone from their own property.

Yes they are. By telling someone they can't legally bring a concealed firearm they are most certainly limiting their right to bear arms.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@airshocker: Unless that college has metal detectors (not something specified in the article) one must pass through on a daily basis its not a rule they can actively enforce. You're a smart guy ignoring this logic out of convenience. You're also smart enough to know that the dude's bale price makes it highly unlikely he will make bail.

This is a 20 year old girl worried about nothing who would like to be a little bit special. My guess is she already signed a document saying that she would side by campus rules, and currently the campus officials have currently no logical reason to say she can carry a weapon.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@airshocker said:

@lostrib said:

It's my private property, I can tell you that you cannot bring a gun on my property. And if you do so, then I will have you removed.

You could, and I could bring a gun anyway and you could take it up with my department. Bad example.

Yes, you can do anything--I don't have a force field that blocks your from coming onto my property. But in that case you would be the person in the wrong. It's the same reason why businesses are allowed to ban guns on their premises

And of course I'm speaking of individual private citizens, not police officers carrying out their duties

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

It's my understating that the college has the law on their side on this

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lostrib

@airshocker said:
@PannicAtack said:

Technically they aren't limiting any rights. What they're actually doing is exercising their right to remove someone from their property. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't disagree with a person's right to remove someone from their own property.

Yes they are. By telling someone they can't legally bring a concealed firearm they are most certainly limiting their right to bear arms.

The right to bear arms is not unlimited

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dave123321

I want stun guns though

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@chessmaster1989 said:
@airshocker said:
@PannicAtack said:
@airshocker said:
@Master_Live said:

Seeing how it is a private institution I would either conform to their policy or change school. It sucks for her.

That excuse doesn't fly. Constitutional amendments apply to everything in the United States. That includes private property.

Not really. If I were to, for example, walk into a restaurant and start spouting racist rhetoric, and they were to kick me out, would I be able to sue them? Would I have grounds for that? No. Because it's their private property and they can kick me out for whatever reason they like, provided it doesn't go into the area of illegal discrimination.

No where in the first amendment does it say you have freedom from the consequences of your speech, so I'm not sure what your point is. The owners of that property aren't limiting your speech, they're kicking you out because of it. That's the difference.

So then wouldn't what the college is doing essentially be saying we kick you off campus if you carry around a gun? How is it different?

But that's not what they're doing. They're giving her no other recourse but to break their rules if she wants to protect herself.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By dave123321

@airshocker: that's the same thing but in different words

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Serraph105 said:

@airshocker: Unless that college has metal detectors (not something specified in the article) one must pass through on a daily basis its not a rule they can actively enforce. You're a smart guy ignoring this logic out of convenience. You're also smart enough to know that the dude's bale price makes it highly unlikely he will make bail.

This is a 20 year old girl worried about nothing who would like to be a little bit special. My guess is she already signed a document saying that she would side by campus rules, and currently the campus officials have currently no logical reason to say she can carry a weapon.

Bro, I've seen a $100k bail lowered to $1k before. I've seen bail completely thrown out. I have no faith in the bail system.

This is a 20 year old girl who is scared for her life for very good reason. You making it out to be like she has nothing to fear is completely wrong.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By dave123321

I don't want the law to be on the girls side despite my wanting the girl to be safe

Woman

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By dave123321

That's my take

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#64 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

Guns, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

I'd take greater issue in the fact that it's still legal for the stalker to buy a weapon, that the law around stalking is awful and a complete nightmare for the victims to ever get anything done, that the sentences are often well too light and that you can't trust the legal system not to release a dangerous individual. But of course none of that is going to be the main focus of the story.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@airshocker:

Dude you're wrong. None of your Constitutional Rights are absolute as they are always relative to other rights. You can't own a slave on your private property because the proposed slave's right to freedom trumps what rights you have to use either your real property (land) or your possessions, etc.

At the other end, private entities don't have to let visible minorities, women, or men, or gun totes, or people without shirts or shoes on their premises or into their clubs because their rights supercede yours. The reason their rights rule is because you do not have to be on their property; unless you are an agent of the State completing your normal duties, in which case you can shit all over their property because the State trumps private rights.

Look at it this way: you may have the right to bear arms on your property and (most) public property, but other people have the right to be free from your arms on their property.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lostrib

@SUD123456 said:

@airshocker:

Dude you're wrong. None of your Constitutional Rights are absolute as they are always relative to other rights. You can't own a slave on your private property because the proposed slave's right to freedom trumps what rights you have to use either your real property (land) or your possessions, etc.

At the other end, private entities don't have to let visible minorities, women, or men, or gun totes, or people without shirts or shoes on their premises or into their clubs because their rights supercede yours. The reason their rights rule is because you do not have to be on their property; unless you are an agent of the State completing your normal duties, in which case you can shit all over their property because the State trumps private rights.

Look at it this way: you may have the right to bear arms on your property and (most) public property, but other people have the right to be free from your arms on their property.

Well that depends on the private entitiy

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Serraph105

@airshocker: okay even if I am wrong about bail, what about all my other points? The dude is currently in jail, she has a way to check on this daily (I don't think she should have to do this but still), the fact that she can technically carry a concealed weapon if she has the sense to not tell people?

Also why are you so quick to defend her rights but not the campus's rights? Any way you look at this her life is not currently in danger. If the campus was to make an exception for possible future dangers why not just let any student carry a gun?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@lostrib said:

@SUD123456 said:

@airshocker:

Well that depends on the private entitiy

True enough, but I already tried to limit my post length

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

A gun on a college campus is a stupid idea. Period.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Serraph105

@SUD123456: agreed, kinda my house my rules argument.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72  Edited By redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

The university is a private institution, so if they say she can't carry a fire arm on campus, well tough cookies, you can always change schools. She can still buy mace or carry a knife if she chooses, and the campus will have security which she can inform about her situation. Maybe my opinion is invalid because I'm Canadian (where seeing someone carry a gun anywhere in public, let alone a university campus, would blow my mind) but I don't really see how a gun is reasonable in this situation. Campus security is usually quite extensive and there a literally thousands of students around at all times. Leave the gunning down of criminals to the professionals, not scared 20 year old girls.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

@airshocker said:
@PannicAtack said:

@airshocker said:
@lostrib said:

@airshocker said:

So a private institution does not have the right to eject someone from their property for violating their policies?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#75 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Big thumbs up from me for firearms as protection. In a society with 30+ minute police response times, we can't rely on them for being the only ones to protect others. And really, in a state where the police/government controls all the weapons is just asking to become a dictatorship.

And there is possible legislation going through in Canada soon to remove the whole "restricted" firearm* bullshit that has been plaguing legitimate gun owners for years.

I think gun laws are absolutely USELESS for keeping weapons out of criminals hands. Those that want to buy a gun will, no matter what, and those who can buy one legally for the purpose of committing a crime, will be able to get one without being detected by the testing process. In Canada, we have firearm training courses, and I think those should be available to anyone who wants to take it (but not mandatory).

--

*Note: A restricted firearm in Canada is defined as a gun with a barrel length shorter than 470mm (so anything that isn't a long gun) which includes any and all handguns. There is one step further (prohibited) which disallows anyone from owning them legally (when not grandfathered) and applies to a massive arbitrary list of weapons ranging from long guns to conceal carry pistols (i.e. the AR-15 is illegal, while the Tavor TAR-21 is not).

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I ask how far favor for someone in a situation such as that woman is in would go. To extrapolate, a mentally ill individual could also be stalked just as she is, but I doubt there would be much support for a person like that to be allowed a firearm for defensive purposes.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@airshocker said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:

@airshocker: A private institution setting standards for what happens on their property is not unconstitutional. What if I kicked in your door in the middle of the night with a gun and started shouting racial insults at your family? Would you remove me from your property, or recognize my 1st and 2nd amendment rights and let me continue?

Where in the constitution is breaking and entering covered? No where did I say that someone shouldn't be removed from anyone's property for committing a crime. Merely that you would have no cause to remove me from your property if I was armed and the state/county allowed me to be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Serraph105 said:

@airshocker: okay even if I am wrong about bail, what about all my other points? The dude is currently in jail, she has a way to check on this daily (I don't think she should have to do this but still), the fact that she can technically carry a concealed weapon if she has the sense to not tell people?

Also why are you so quick to defend her rights but not the campus's rights? Any way you look at this her life is not currently in danger. If the campus was to make an exception for possible future dangers why not just let any student carry a gun?

What about when he gets out of jail? What if he gets out early for some reason? No, she can't legally carry a concealed weapon on campus. Where are you getting that from?

Why not let any student carry a gun? Legal gun owners aren't the problem in this country. Criminals are. As the study in that Fox News article has pointed out, there haven't been any issues on the campuses of nine states that allowed students with the proper permits to carry concealed.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@airshocker said:

@thegerg said:

@airshocker: A private institution setting standards for what happens on their property is not unconstitutional. What if I kicked in your door in the middle of the night with a gun and started shouting racial insults at your family? Would you remove me from your property, or recognize my 1st and 2nd amendment rights and let me continue?

Where in the constitution is breaking and entering covered? No where did I say that someone shouldn't be removed from anyone's property for committing a crime. Merely that you would have no cause to remove me from your property if I was armed and the state/county allowed me to be.

You beat me to it airshocker. What thegerg surprisingly doesn't realize is that he would be removed from your property because of the crime of B&E. For a guy who is so particular and pedantic about other people's obvious details in their writing, he just made an shockingly egregious error.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@redstorm72 said:

The university is a private institution, so if they say she can't carry a fire arm on campus, well tough cookies, you can always change schools. She can still buy mace or carry a knife if she chooses, and the campus will have security which she can inform about her situation. Maybe my opinion is invalid because I'm Canadian (where seeing someone carry a gun anywhere in public, let alone a university campus, would blow my mind) but I don't really see how a gun is reasonable in this situation. Campus security is usually quite extensive and there a literally thousands of students around at all times. Leave the gunning down of criminals to the professionals, not scared 20 year old girls.

You severely overestimate the quality of average people. There are so many things that can happen that would preclude anybody coming to help this girl. The fact of the matter is that if you rely on anybody else except yourself for your own safety, you will eventually come into a situation where you WISH you were allowed to carry something that would end hostility almost instantly.

I am a professional and I tell everyone I meet that they need to have a plan to protect themselves at ALL times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@SUD123456 said:

@airshocker:

Where did I say I could own a slave on my private property? In fact, I stated that you can't.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By lostrib

@airshocker said:

@thegerg said:

Are we talking about as a private citizen? Because yes he would have cause, it's his property. He can have you removed.

Things get a bit odd around businesses open to the public, but the law seems to be that even they can ban guns on their property

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

With the school shootings that made the news such as VT and Sandy Hook I can see where the school is coming from. If I was her I would consider just moving off campus and leaving the pistol in her car while in class. I don't know if her school makes it mandatory to stay in the dorms but even if they do I don't see why they won't give her an exception to policy since it is probably less of a hassle for the college than allowing her to have her gun.

This isn't the first time I've heard about a college going nuts on safety rules. I remember reading on a forum about a guy who was in either the National Guard or reserves that was told by his college he can't keep his military gear in his dorm room because they considered it dangerous. I think the main issue they had was with the knife he kept on his vest but it was kind of overkill if he was telling the truth.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 lostrib

@ad1x2 said:

With the school shootings that made the news such as VT and Sandy Hook I can see where the school is coming from. If I was her I would consider just moving off campus and leaving the pistol in her car while in class. I don't know if her school makes it mandatory to stay in the dorms but even if they do I don't see why they won't give her an exception to policy since it is probably less of a hassle for the college than allowing her to have her gun.

This isn't the first time I've heard about a college going nuts on safety rules. I remember reading on a forum about a guy who was in either the National Guard or reserves that was told by his college he can't keep his military gear in his dorm room because they considered it dangerous. I think the main issue they had was with the knife he kept on his vest but it was kind of overkill if he was telling the truth.

most schools wouldn't let her park on campus with a gun in the car

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@airshocker said:

@PannicAtack said:
@airshocker said:

@Master_Live said:

The owners of the school are not limiting her right to carry a gun, they're kicking her off campus because of it. That's the difference.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

she should get pepper spray... no need to involve guns or make exceptions to rules that are in place to protect everyone else.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

what happened to good ol pepper sprays which western womens used on creeps ? LOL

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#89  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

The guy who was stalking her is going to prison for four years, so it's not like she has a current and extenuating circumstances that should call for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@lamprey263 said:

The guy who was stalking her is going to prison for four years, so it's not like she has a current and extenuating circumstances that should call for it.

He could be released early. It's not unheard of.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

No guns on college could end up with a shooting spree becoming easier. It's the same reason Guns are banned on military bases.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

No guns on college could end up with a shooting spree becoming easier. It's the same reason Guns are banned on military bases.

Not true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#95 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@airshocker said:

Stun guns are illegal for most people in many states.

You can't get a stun gun so you get a firearm? Seems legit...Sometimes I really cannot comprehend your laws...Also, mace spray going bad quickly...buy a new one regularly...expiration dates are not an excuse to having a bloody gun!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker said:

Stun guns are illegal for most people in many states.

You can't get a stun gun so you get a firearm? Seems legit...Sometimes I really cannot comprehend your laws...Also, mace spray going bad quickly...buy a new one regularly...expiration dates are not an excuse to having a bloody gun!

Sometimes I can't either. Mace can go bad without you realizing it. I'm sorry I'm not for half-measures at protecting ones self. If someone means me or someone else harm I'm going to use the surest method to end that threat. I would never support anything that prevented someone from defending themselves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker: Here we just let the police take care of things...I'm sorry you guys don't feel safe enough to allow for the same (not being sarcastic either...)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker: Here we just let the police take care of things...I'm sorry you guys don't feel safe enough to allow for the same (not being sarcastic either...)

It's not about not feeling safe. I feel pretty safe where I live. It's about not trusting others to protect the things I care about unless they have a vested interest. There's a reason I would trust my Mom & Dad to take care of my family over somebody who isn't family. Now while a cop that knows me might drive just a little bit faster, a bit more recklessly, if they knew me or my family were in trouble(like I would do for them and theirs) why would a cop who doesn't know me from Adam do that? They wouldn't.

I say this all of the time, Police can't be EVERYWHERE at once. If you aren't willing to do things to protect yourself and those you love...well I sincerely hope nothing bad ever happens to you or them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker: I think those feelings are quite sad...I never once felt the need to act against anyone on my own...I've had stalkers, my wife still has them every now and then...yes, it's stressful and sometimes they were quite deranged but we never felt we needed to defend ourselves, that's what the police is for...and true enough, they've always solved it without us getting involved. And even if, for some reason, I felt the need to defend myself I would never (and I don't know anyone who would either) get a gun...there's plenty of ways to defend yourself without one (and since it's highly unlikely that the person we need to defend ourselves here has anything bigger than a pocket knife, there's no need for a gun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus: What do you mean by act against anyone on your own? I'm sorry you're so trusting of other people, but I'm not. I have no sympathy for people who would commit crimes against another person. There are other ways but I'm not going to take that chance. I have too much to live for to roll the dice like that. The safest way is to kill someone where they stand if they mean you or another harm.