Another The Evolution Thread

• 66 results
#1 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12819 posts) -

Haven't had one of these in awhile, and this place is getting boring, so let's do it.

Let's look at a normal chromosome.

Where red are Telomeres, gray is the centromere and blue are the genes. Throughout all life, chromosomes have this structure (except for HC2): Telomeres on the end, centromere in the middle.

Then you get to HC2:

Here we have two telomeres on the ends, two telomeres in the center, and two centromeres on the first and last quarters. Obviously, at some point in the past two chromosomes merged to form a single combined chromosome. This is why the great apes have 24 sets of chromosomes, but humans only 23.

What's so special about this fact is that humans aren't the only ones to have this structure: Neanderthals and Denisovans share the conjoined HC2 as well.

Since the rest of nature shows us that chromosome merger is not a common occurrence (it hasn't been seen anywhere else), Occam's razor dictates that we inherited the conjoined chromosome from the same ancestor the Neaderthals and Denisovans did.

So how can this be explained away by those who don't believe in evolution?

#2 Posted by Iszdope (9575 posts) -

That reads like learning stuff. My brain hurts.

Boring.

#3 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12819 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

Boring.

I made some ascii pictures to make it easy.

#4 Posted by Iszdope (9575 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

Boring.

I made some ascii pictures to make it easy.

Dat's special.

#5 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20823 posts) -

I needed ms painted pictures man.

#6 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12819 posts) -

I needed ms painted pictures man.

Okay, okay. I edited the OP.

#7 Edited by GazaAli (22493 posts) -

Interesting OP.

I'm a creationist who also happens to believe in the concept of evolution. The "God did it, period" point of view does not explain anything related to the world we live in, a world that has been in existence for thousands and thousands of years at the very least. It does not guide us in our pursuit of learning the workings of life and of the world around us. God did not mean for us a mode of existence that is rigid, flat, uncritical and characterized by ignorance. Knowledge, observation and reflection are among the highest and most commendable of virtues.

I still can't get my head around the established proposition that religious people cannot and should not believe in evolution, at least the biological concept of it.

#8 Edited by lamprey263 (22878 posts) -

Confronted with such evidence, the anti-evolution young earth creationists might just resort to claiming that neanderthals are still descendants of Adam and Eve and got wiped out by the great flood, hence why they're not around, and also why they share this rare chromosome anomaly.

#9 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Interesting OP.

I'm a creationist who also happens to believe in the concept of evolution. The "God did it, period" point of view does not explain anything related to the world we live in, a world that has been in existence for thousands and thousands of years at the very least. It does not guide us in our pursuit of learning the workings of life and of the world around us. God did not mean for us a mode of existence that is rigid, flat, uncritical and characterized by ignorance. Knowledge, observation and reflection are among the highest and most commendable of virtues.

I still can't get my head around the established proposition that religious people cannot and should not believe in evolution, at least the biological concept of it.

its really funny that evolution which is just a theory that has been debunked by intelligent creationist still teaching in universities and ppls still trying to prove evolution as fact when even darwin do not believe its fact. just give a theory.

evolutionist proving it kind of fact. to me its biggest hoax in the history of mankind.

#10 Posted by TheFlush (5479 posts) -

We can always count on you to bring the entertainment @SNIPER4321 Thank you for that :-)

#11 Posted by GazaAli (22493 posts) -

Abandon this topic, I repeat abandon this topic

#12 Edited by Master_Live (14077 posts) -

And by that you mean like a week has passed.

#13 Edited by Master_Live (14077 posts) -
@SNIPER4321 said:

@GazaAli said:

Interesting OP.

its really funny that evolution which is just a theory that has been debunked by intelligent creationist still teaching in universities and ppls still trying to prove evolution as fact when even darwin do not believe its fact. just give a theory.

evolutionist proving it kind of fact. to me its biggest hoax in the history of mankind.

Tell them Snipes.

#14 Posted by indzman (16969 posts) -

sniper3241 has highjacked this thread , guys run for life !!!

#15 Posted by themajormayor (25678 posts) -

Sniper is representative of muslims.

#16 Posted by foxhound_fox (87405 posts) -

No point to this thread. Those that accept evolution as the explanation for the evidence will just nod in agreement, and those that do not accept evolution, will foam at the mouth and deny till they are blue in the face that it could have been something such as evolution that explains the evidence.

I'm going to go and play some Red Faction now.

#17 Posted by lostrib (33506 posts) -

Lol, SNIPER made everyone leave

#18 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7730 posts) -

Its pointless to explain the concept of HC2 to a creationist. You would have better luck describing the internet to an ancient Greek.

#19 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

A Mod encouraging trolling and ignorant discussion. So that's what GS OT has turned into.

#20 Edited by lostrib (33506 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Its pointless to explain the concept of HC2 to a creationist. You would have better luck describing the internet to an ancient Greek.

You weren't there! The bible says god created chromosomes!

Evolution is only a theory after all

#21 Edited by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

evolution is a theory AND scientific fact...much like gravity, no matter how republican you tell yourself you are.

#22 Posted by lostrib (33506 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Interesting OP.

Lol

#23 Edited by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@GazaAli said:

Interesting OP.

Lol

he is a fail troll (aka jankarcop), i don't see how that's funny.

#24 Posted by lostrib (33506 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

@lostrib said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@GazaAli said:

Interesting OP.

Lol

he is a fail troll (aka jankarcop), i don't see how that's funny.

Have you ever seen the evidence he posts from these "intelligent creationists"? it's pretty funny

#25 Posted by not_wanted (1977 posts) -

I believe God made it that way. Big Bang, evolution, whatever you wanna call them where the act of God.

#26 Edited by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

This whole fear of creationism being taught in public schools is pretty stupid. The highest level biology course you can take in grade school is AP Biology, and to pass that exam (which is a nationally administered college-level test and is not determined by state/local school boards) you have to demonstrate knowledge in the theory of evolution. So if creationism is going to be taught, it's going to be taught in middle school level and basic high school level classes. Most students are not going to go into a field that is biology based, so why the fvck does it matter if they believe in the theory in the first place? If you're going to be doing anything significant with biology in your life you're definitely going to have to take college level biology classes where evolution is taught as the unifying theory of all biology. So, in other words, having a bunch of middle school and elementary school kids get taught creationism is not going to fvck anything up, contrary to popular belief. If they want to do something in biology, they're eventually going to be taught that evolution is scientific fact.

#27 Posted by lostrib (33506 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

This whole fear of creationism being taught in public schools is pretty stupid. The highest level biology course you can take in grade school is AP Biology, and to pass that exam (which is a nationally administered college-level test and is not determined by state/local school boards) you have to demonstrate knowledge in the theory of evolution. So if creationism is going to be taught, it's going to be taught in middle school level and basic high school level classes. Most students are not going to go into a field that is biology based, so why the fvck does it matter if they believe in the theory in the first place? If you're going to be doing anything significant with biology in your life you're definitely going to have to take college level biology classes where evolution is taught as the unifying theory of all biology. So, in other words, having a bunch of middle school and elementary school kids get taught creationism is not going to fvck anything up, contrary to popular belief. If they want to do something in biology, they're eventually going to be taught that evolution is scientific fact.

Well for one thing it has no place in a science class. And when they say Creationism, it usually means Christian Creationism and that gets far too close to the state promoting a specific religion. Also, if you teach them Creationism and God created all creatures, it's kind of hard to follow that up later with "oh yeah, that's not what happened in reality, instead here is scientific facts"

#28 Edited by GreySeal9 (24019 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

This post makes zero sense. The purpose of school is to educate people. If you're teaching something non-scientific and not supported by the evidence, you're not properly educating them.

#29 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150085 posts) -

Do the evolution.....sounds fun.

#30 Posted by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@nomsayin said:

Well for one thing it has no place in a science class. And when they say Creationism, it usually means Christian Creationism and that gets far too close to the state promoting a specific religion. Also, if you teach them Creationism and God created all creatures, it's kind of hard to follow that up later with "oh yeah, that's not what happened in reality, instead here is scientific facts"

No, it's not hard to follow up. If they can't follow up and learn that evolution is a fact they're going to fail their college level classes and not even have a biology related profession in the first place. It's not that difficult. Also, as i said before, the highest level biology class you can take in high school is AP Biology, where evolution is taught as a fact.

@nomsayin said:

This post makes zero sense. The purpose of school is to educate people. If you're teaching something non-scientific and not supported by the evidence, you're not properly educating them.

I'm not saying you shouldn't teach evolution (you clearly should) but it's not that big of a deal if a bunch of middle school kids get taught creationism. Neckbeards make it sound like it's a colossal issue, when it really in actuality has no effect on our development as a nation. Also, you're acting as though most people remember what they learn in high school..yeah right. Many adults barely know how to do algebra. Learning evolution/creationism has no effect on anything science related. A person that won't pass college level biology classes is not going to have a biology related profession. Period. And to pass a college level biology class you're definitely going to demonstrate knowledge and belief in the theory of evolution.

#31 Edited by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@nomsayin said:

I agree with what you said about Christian creationism shouldn't be taught in school though, for sure. But is the "intelligent design" type of creationism a Christian only belief?

#32 Posted by lostrib (33506 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

@lostrib said:

@nomsayin said:

I agree with what you said about Christian creationism shouldn't be taught in school though, for sure. But is the "intelligent design" type of creationism a Christian only belief?

At least in America, most of the people lobbying for it would want it taught as intelligent design by the Christian God

#33 Posted by lostrib (33506 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

@lostrib said:

@nomsayin said:

No, it's not hard to follow up. If they can't follow up and learn that evolution is a fact they're going to fail their college level classes and not even have a biology related profession in the first place. It's not that difficult. Also, as i said before, the highest level biology class you can take in high school is AP Biology, where evolution is taught as a fact.

Why would you want to teach kids something that is A) unprovable/not true and B) they will have to entirely disregard in the future. Just because they don't have a biology related profession, doesn't mean they shouldn't be taught basic biology like evolution.

#34 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20823 posts) -

Your thread has, dare say, evolved. My. God. Someone call CNN!

#35 Posted by dave123321 (33664 posts) -

@Master_Live: better then the hours between climate threads

#36 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Interesting OP.

evolution which is just a theory that has been debunked by intelligent creationist

rofl...Go back to trolling SW

#37 Edited by limpbizkit818 (15033 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Interesting OP.

Before anything else is said, you should be careful with the "God did not mean for us" statement. You do not know what god wants.

Evolution takes away the need for God, and that is why it is a threat. For 1,000+ years people based their views on the Holy Books: God made man. Now we know this is not true.

In fact, all of this could have been avoided if (to use Islam as an example) Muhammad had just asked God. Or if God had given him a revelation showing how humans came to be. Instead Muhammad parrots old Jewish views that about creation in 6 days.

It is hard to see how one can accept evolution and Islam and not see the problem here.

#38 Posted by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -

Confronted with such evidence, the anti-evolution young earth creationists might just resort to claiming that neanderthals are still descendants of Adam and Eve and got wiped out by the great flood, hence why they're not around, and also why they share this rare chromosome anomaly.

Actually, I've seen a few people who literally could pass for neanderthals. As in, they had the same facial features.

#39 Edited by Master_Live (14077 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Actually, I've seen a few people who literally could pass for neanderthals. As in, they had the same facial features.

>_>

#40 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3753 posts) -
#41 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7730 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

I'm not saying you shouldn't teach evolution (you clearly should) but it's not that big of a deal if a bunch of middle school kids get taught creationism. Neckbeards make it sound like it's a colossal issue, when it really in actuality has no effect on our development as a nation. Also, you're acting as though most people remember what they learn in high school..yeah right. Many adults barely know how to do algebra. Learning evolution/creationism has no effect on anything science related. A person that won't pass college level biology classes is not going to have a biology related profession. Period. And to pass a college level biology class you're definitely going to demonstrate knowledge and belief in the theory of evolution.

lol wut? No impact on us as a nation? We're falling behind in science compared to many countries at the moment across all fields of science. How can you say that its not a big deal to teach the UNIFYING principle that cohesively binds an entire field of study?

I mean just look at the second bolded part of your post. No effect on anything science related? In order to teach creationism you need to shun modern cosmology, plate tectonics, radioactive decay, geology etc.....do you see where this is going?

I've seen some dumb posts but holy shit.

#42 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12819 posts) -

lol wut? No impact on us as a nation? We're falling behind in science compared to many countries at the moment across all fields of science. How can you say that its not a big deal to teach the UNIFYING principle that cohesively binds an entire field of study?

I mean just look at the second bolded part of your post. No effect on anything science related? In order to teach creationism you need to shun modern cosmology, plate tectonics, radioactive decay, geology etc.....do you see where this is going?

Not to mention that the purpose of an education is not just to prepare one for future employment, as he seems to be suggesting. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge is its own prize, and it makes you a more interesting person to know to boot.

#43 Posted by themajormayor (25678 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Not to mention that the purpose of an education is not just to prepare one for future employment, as he seems to be suggesting. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge is its own prize, and it makes you a more interesting person to know to boot.

A creationist is more interesting than an evolutionist, ceteris paribus.

#44 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12819 posts) -

In the way that a sociopath is more interesting than an egg, perhaps.

#45 Posted by themajormayor (25678 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

In the way that a sociopath is more interesting than an egg, perhaps.

Yes.

#46 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12819 posts) -
#47 Posted by themajormayor (25678 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Yes.

At least an egg has promise.

Don't get me wrong, eggs are awesome. Just not very interesting to talk with.

#48 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12819 posts) -

Don't get me wrong, eggs are awesome. Just not very interesting to talk with.

Meh, old folk saying in these parts. I guess the farmers find eggs interesting.

#49 Posted by comp_atkins (31213 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Interesting OP.

#50 Edited by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

Reread my post, dumbass. Teaching a bunch of middle school kids creationism is not going to affect our scientific development as a nation. The people that do push our scientific development (more specifically in the field of biology) are - not accountants, not minimum wage McDonald workers, not lawyers, but PEOPLE WITH DEGREES IN BIOLOGY. To get a degree in BIOLOGY you will have to demonstrate extensive knowledge of evolution. It will not affect our scientific development as a nation if a bunch of potential lawyers, minimum wage workers, accountants, etc. believe in evolution. Yes, teaching evolution obviously should be the preference, but it's hardly as substantial of an issue as neckbeards on the internet make it seem.

And the reason we're behind in science (k-12 education) is because of poor teachers, American culture's lazy work ethic, and the government pumping money into school systems that are trash. Regardless, our universities still remain probably the best in the world. Harvard is still Harvard, MIT is still MIT, Stanford is still Stanford.