Another Cop Dashcam

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by thegerg (15472 posts) -

With alll the focus on the negative, it's good to look at the positive now and then.

Not a whole lot to see here, but why do you think so many choose to ignore good cops?

#2 Edited by dave123321 (34153 posts) -

Personal bias

#3 Posted by Master_Live (14864 posts) -

There are no good cops, just cops that do good.

#4 Posted by plageus900 (1086 posts) -

Cue 'Pork and Beef' - The Coup

#5 Edited by ad1x2 (5686 posts) -

@thegerg said:

why do you think so many choose to ignore good cops?

Combine people who have a hatred of anybody who is in a position of authority with people who hate the fact the police officers enforce laws they don't agree with (prohibition of pot, for example).

Also, bad news gets better ratings. Nobody is going to watch a Youtube video or news report talking about the good officers because that is what they are supposed to do. When one acts out and does wrong it gets more attention.

In some cases officers who get a slap on the wrist for an action that probably should have got them fired or worse doesn't help their case.

#6 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

He was probably going to entrap the child by offering him marijuana.

Satire aside, thank god we don't have idiot booing the waste of ta payer dollars for that 120secs.

#7 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Another example of our tax dollars being wasted.

#8 Edited by thebest31406 (3441 posts) -

It isn't simply the cops, it's the institutions which enable their bad behavior. There will always be bad individuals in any group but it's the institutions that allow them to continue and grow.

#9 Posted by MrGeezer (56580 posts) -

@thegerg said:

With alll the focus on the negative, it's good to look at the positive now and then.

Not a whole lot to see here, but why do you think so many choose to ignore good cops?

Because it's a cop's JOB to be a good cop. And generally speaking, people don't get recognition for doing their jobs, doing their jobs just doesn't get them scorned. It's like going to a bunch of bars over the course of the month. Most people aren't gonna say anything about the bartenders who do their jobs well, they're only gonna talk about the ones who SUCK.

And yeah, I know...that stinks for anyone who works their asses off to be good at their jobs. But the fact that bad cops make the news and good cops dont, shows that people generally think of cops as being good. Bad Cop stories get attention because those are seen as the exception. It's "news" because that isn't the kind of stuff that usually happens. It's like a 16 year old kid getting gunned down. If it was a result of him dealing crack on the streets, then that's lucky to make page 5 because that's what people expect. But if that kid got shot in the school cafeteria for reasons unrelated to drugs, then you're damn right it's gonna make the news because that is not normal. The prevalence of bad cop stories relies on the public perception that bad cops aren't the norm. If the public believed that cops were generally bad, then these kinds of stories would not be newsworthy.

#10 Posted by thebest31406 (3441 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@thegerg said:

With alll the focus on the negative, it's good to look at the positive now and then.

Not a whole lot to see here, but why do you think so many choose to ignore good cops?

Because it's a cop's JOB to be a good cop. And generally speaking, people don't get recognition for doing their jobs, doing their jobs just doesn't get them scorned. It's like going to a bunch of bars over the course of the month. Most people aren't gonna say anything about the bartenders who do their jobs well, they're only gonna talk about the ones who SUCK.

And yeah, I know...that stinks for anyone who works their asses off to be good at their jobs. But the fact that bad cops make the news and good cops dont, shows that people generally think of cops as being good. Bad Cop stories get attention because those are seen as the exception. It's "news" because that isn't the kind of stuff that usually happens. It's like a 16 year old kid getting gunned down. If it was a result of him dealing crack on the streets, then that's lucky to make page 5 because that's what people expect. But if that kid got shot in the school cafeteria for reasons unrelated to drugs, then you're damn right it's gonna make the news because that is not normal. The prevalence of bad cop stories relies on the public perception that bad cops aren't the norm. If the public believed that cops were generally bad, then these kinds of stories would not be newsworthy.

LOL it's like praising a husband for not beating his wife.

#11 Edited by GazaAli (23030 posts) -

America is bored and in need of a new war.

#12 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Need more like that officer (actually met a nice cop downtown).

#13 Posted by GreySeal9 (24513 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@thegerg said:

With alll the focus on the negative, it's good to look at the positive now and then.

Not a whole lot to see here, but why do you think so many choose to ignore good cops?

Because it's a cop's JOB to be a good cop. And generally speaking, people don't get recognition for doing their jobs, doing their jobs just doesn't get them scorned. It's like going to a bunch of bars over the course of the month. Most people aren't gonna say anything about the bartenders who do their jobs well, they're only gonna talk about the ones who SUCK.

And yeah, I know...that stinks for anyone who works their asses off to be good at their jobs. But the fact that bad cops make the news and good cops dont, shows that people generally think of cops as being good. Bad Cop stories get attention because those are seen as the exception. It's "news" because that isn't the kind of stuff that usually happens. It's like a 16 year old kid getting gunned down. If it was a result of him dealing crack on the streets, then that's lucky to make page 5 because that's what people expect. But if that kid got shot in the school cafeteria for reasons unrelated to drugs, then you're damn right it's gonna make the news because that is not normal. The prevalence of bad cop stories relies on the public perception that bad cops aren't the norm. If the public believed that cops were generally bad, then these kinds of stories would not be newsworthy.

Well said. I don't know why people think cop hatred is particularly prevalent.

#14 Edited by thegerg (15472 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@thegerg said:

With alll the focus on the negative, it's good to look at the positive now and then.

Not a whole lot to see here, but why do you think so many choose to ignore good cops?

Because it's a cop's JOB to be a good cop. And generally speaking, people don't get recognition for doing their jobs, doing their jobs just doesn't get them scorned. It's like going to a bunch of bars over the course of the month. Most people aren't gonna say anything about the bartenders who do their jobs well, they're only gonna talk about the ones who SUCK.

And yeah, I know...that stinks for anyone who works their asses off to be good at their jobs. But the fact that bad cops make the news and good cops dont, shows that people generally think of cops as being good. Bad Cop stories get attention because those are seen as the exception. It's "news" because that isn't the kind of stuff that usually happens. It's like a 16 year old kid getting gunned down. If it was a result of him dealing crack on the streets, then that's lucky to make page 5 because that's what people expect. But if that kid got shot in the school cafeteria for reasons unrelated to drugs, then you're damn right it's gonna make the news because that is not normal. The prevalence of bad cop stories relies on the public perception that bad cops aren't the norm. If the public believed that cops were generally bad, then these kinds of stories would not be newsworthy.

"Because it's a cop's JOB to be a good cop."

Not really, it's just a cop's job to be a cop. There are dickheads everywhere who can do a job well without being considered a good person.

Anyway, it's not in a cop's job description to take time out of his day to play catch with a lonely kid.

#15 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (971 posts) -
@GreySeal9 said: I don't know why people think cop hatred is particularly prevalent.

It's not hatred (for the most part), it's more scrutiny.

#16 Posted by hoodedjustice3 (253 posts) -

I think dash cams are wrong for police. Talk about invasion of privacy.

#17 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

Get back on the job, pig.

#18 Posted by hoodedjustice3 (253 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

Get back on the job, pig.

You're the type of person that talks so much shit about police, until you need one.

#19 Edited by MrGeezer (56580 posts) -

@thegerg said:

"Because it's a cop's JOB to be a good cop."

Not really, it's just a cop's job to be a cop. There are dickheads everywhere who can do a job well without being considered a good person.

Anyway, it's not in a cop's job description to take time out of his day to play catch with a lonely kid.

That's what I meant by "good cop". I meant "being good at being a cop", not "being a good person, and also being a cop."

Anyway, I realize that "being a good cop" also doesn't require taking time out of the day to play catch with a lonely kid. This behavior might also be atypical. However, now we get to "if it bleeds, it leads." Atypical or abnormal events get more attention, but this is especially true if there is conflict. Think of it in terms of entertainment, since the news sort of IS entertainment. If you play a video game, you generally expect something to die. Either you're killing zombies, aliens are trying to kill you, or you have to storm an enemy base. Think of the movies that dominate our cultural landscape. Pretty much every one is centered around conflict. There's some kind of fight going on, whether it's a fight against enemies, a fight against fate, or a fight against one's own nature.

Whether or not it's unfortunate, there seems to be this public perception that conflict is far more interesting. Sure, we want the right people to win out in the end, but there sort of has to be a fight going on, or else people just get bored to death. And seeing as how the news absolutely functions as entertainment, it's beneficial for reporters to give priority to the stories that get the most interest out of the public. That tends to be crime, war, corruption, that kind of stuff. People being really nice without a central conflict to ground the story just results in readers losing interest.

#20 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

@hoodedjustice3 said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

Get back on the job, pig.

You're the type of person that talks so much shit about police, until you need one.

Cops arrest people. People need to defend themselves.

#21 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

get your ass back to work, i'm not paying you to goldbrick.