Anderson Silva second defeat The Worst Moment in MMA history

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (5131 posts) -

Anderson Silva Suffers Gruesome Leg Fracture during the fight.

Why MMA legends fall so hard when their time comes ? After so many victories and spotless career, those legends suffer the most embarrassing defeats in their lives. What is it ? Universe´s punishment for too much fame... or vanity ?

First, Fedor Emelianenko fell, a few years later, Anderson Silva. And all those defeats came like a thunder in the clear sky.

R.I.P Anderson Silva as a MMA fighter. You will be remembered as a legend.

#2 Posted by Master_Live (15595 posts) -

Did he retire?

#3 Posted by jhonMalcovich (5131 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Did he retire?

Everybody says that this is a career ending trauma. He´s 38. He will need 2 years just to recover from that trauma.

#4 Edited by Lord_Daemon (24342 posts) -

@Master_Live: No his opponent Chris Weidman decided to actively "check" Anderson Silva's kicks so he didn't feel he could fire them off unchecked like their last fight and when Silva fired off a particularly hard leg kick Weidman lifted his leg so Silva kicked him on his knee instead resulting in Silva's leg breaking in half. The end.

#5 Posted by the-lone-gamer (96 posts) -

That's what he gets for being a cocky douche.. karma's a bitch.

#6 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

it was definitely a disappointing fight. in the first fight, silva gambled and weidman took advantage. this fight ended on a fluke injury and we may not see one of the top fighters in the sport compete again.

#7 Edited by always_explicit (3048 posts) -

@the-lone-gamer said:

He is a fighter, he literally beat down some of the most talented fighters on the planet, if you cant be cocky about that what can you?

Not to mention he career is potentially over due to this injury, its not a case of karma. Its a loss to the sport and a great shame.

#8 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@the-lone-gamer said:

He is a fighter, he literally beat down some of the most talented fighters on the planet, if you cant be cocky about that what can you?

Not to mention he career is potentially over due to this injury, its not a case of karma. Its a loss to the sport and a great shame.

well i would still like to see the silva gsp fight. this makes it a little more even. they will both come back after time off.......on a side note, since silva lost, roy jones jr wants to box nick diaz now lol.

#9 Posted by always_explicit (3048 posts) -

@ChiefvsGordon said:

@always_explicit said:

@the-lone-gamer said:

well i would still like to see the silva gsp fight. this makes it a little more even. they will both come back after time off.......on a side note, since silva lost, roy jones jr wants to box nick diaz now lol.

Now Roy JJ is a royal idiot haha. I used to be a staunch opponent of MMA. I was firmly on the side of boxing when they whole "who would win in the ring" scenario first popped up. Now I cant wait to see cocky boxers get their ass handed to them in the octagon.

That being said I do believe an MMA fighter in a boxing ring is in as much trouble as a boxer in the octagon. Its just the boxers seem to be so damn self assured despite the fact these MMA guys are multi disciplined. I think boxers think MMA guys are Jack of all trades master of none....it just isnt like that.

#10 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@ChiefvsGordon said:

@always_explicit said:

@the-lone-gamer said:

Now Roy JJ is a royal idiot haha. I used to be a staunch opponent of MMA. I was firmly on the side of boxing when they whole "who would win in the ring" scenario first popped up. Now I cant wait to see cocky boxers get their ass handed to them in the octagon.

That being said I do believe an MMA fighter in a boxing ring is in as much trouble as a boxer in the octagon. Its just the boxers seem to be so damn self assured despite the fact these MMA guys are multi disciplined. I think boxers think MMA guys are Jack of all trades master of none....it just isnt like that.

he wants it to be a boxing match. i honestly think it would be entertaining to see it but for sure Jones would out box diaz, he'll win by points.

#11 Posted by AFBrat77 (24213 posts) -

Yes, saw that last night live, positively sick

#12 Posted by AFBrat77 (24213 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Did he retire?

He's done....at 38 he's not coming back from that injury.

#13 Posted by D00DIES (31 posts) -

@AFBrat77 said:

@Master_Live said:

Did he retire?

He's done....at 38 he's not coming back from that injury.

Agreed, he was already close to retirement as it was and now he will/should definitely retire. I still think he is one of if not the greatest fighter to ever compete in MMA.

The only way he will come back now is maybe for like a super fight with GSP for big money...

#14 Posted by airshocker (30841 posts) -

I saw that thing wrap around Weidman's leg and promptly went upstairs to get a massive glass of milk.

Sucks for Anderson but I never liked him as a fighter. Too much of a showboat.

#15 Edited by Masculus (2878 posts) -

It was an unfortunate injury, extremely rare in MMA. It's too bad we got two fights, both of them ending in an anti-climatic fashion - that is - they both sucked.

I want to see Belfort going for the belt, the TRT thing ought to make it difficult to happen.

#16 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1791 posts) -

more reason to bring back Robot Wars

#17 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -

Reminds me of Sid Leg Break. Look it up on YouTube. I can't seem to get videos to show up properly. >_>

#18 Edited by LexLas (4460 posts) -

Yeah that was pretty nasty, one of the worst sports injuries i've seen. May he have a great recovery, but im sure its over for him in that sport - in regards to fighting that is. He can train or something else i guess ? Injuries can happen in any sport, but this one comes with a high level of it.

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (90500 posts) -

At his age, I'm amazed he was able to be as successful as he was. Most professional athletes tend to retire at around 30.

#20 Edited by thegerg (15862 posts) -

That's the risk you take, but at lest he's going out (albeit forced out) at the top of his game. He's defiantly one of the all-time greats.

#21 Edited by RadecSupreme (4731 posts) -

Meh, he was too cocky and thought he could toy around with every single fighter. He choose the wrong one to toy around with. That's what he gets for underestimating his opponent. He was a talented MMA fighter though.

#22 Edited by JimmyLovesGames (15 posts) -

i'm so sick of people calling this a fluke, Chris Weidman Dominated up to the point of the break. Second Weidman checked the leg kick with his knee causing the break he used a well timed counter that he trained to use against silva because he knew that he likes to throw leg kicks. scouting your opponent and using a well trained counter move is not a fluke. And if that was indeed silva's last fight he went out the way any warrior would want to on his shield. Oh and Btw foxhound_fox most MMA fighters do not even hit their prime until 30 lasting till about 35. Leg break or not silva's time in his prime was about up.

#23 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

At his age, I'm amazed he was able to be as successful as he was. Most professional athletes tend to retire at around 30.

More like mid to late 30's. Age doesn't really begin to be a factor until around 34 or 35.

#24 Posted by lostrib (41839 posts) -

That was pretty awesome

#25 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@jimmylovesgames said:

i'm so sick of people calling this a fluke, Chris Weidman Dominated up to the point of the break. Second Weidman checked the leg kick with his knee causing the break he used a well timed counter that he trained to use against silva because he knew that he likes to throw leg kicks. scouting your opponent and using a well trained counter move is not a fluke. And if that was indeed silva's last fight he went out the way any warrior would want to on his shield. Oh and Btw foxhound_fox most MMA fighters do not even hit their prime until 30 lasting till about 35. Leg break or not silva's time in his prime was about up.

that's because it was a fluke. his "well timed counter" was supposed to block silva's kick with his knee, but weidman blocked with his shin like a basic leg kick check. it's a common move that happens in most fights, but pretty much nobody breaks their leg on it.

weidman should feel disappointed about this. he showed in his last fight and the beginning of this one that he that he's a worthy titleholder and could have won without a freak injury. he got take downs and was very dangerous with his ground strikes, his submission credentials (and the time he spent on the ground with silva) indicate that he was unlikely to be submitted, and he was getting some points with his striking too on top of his knockout before. he's just not some magician of leg kick checks that breaks bones at will.