Anders Breivik wins court case against Norwegian state

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'm really surprised they ruled in his favor. I remember when this was previously brought up, he was mocked for this. And now he's won that case. I agree that torture shouldn't be necessary - the law should always prevail regardless of the circumstances.

Anyone else think this guy will make it out at the end of his 21 year sentence?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Using the system against itself. How many other countries would have given him such a cushy sentence? What a joke! And no, he won't get out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#3  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Thousands of African children die from hunger every day, and a PS2 is something this person cant abide by. How could his country acquiesce to a person who is obviously deranged? How oculd they not just tell him that he murdered dozens, therefore he does not deserve any instruments of leisure? Somebody should smash the PS2 right in front of his apparently 5 year old ass and "Now you dont get to play anything!"

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

Should I ever go to prison, isolation would be A-OK with me.

Also, I couldn't help but laugh at the complaint about microwave dinners. Having eaten Illinois prison cuisine, I can safely say that would be heaven by comparison.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I bet he'll get out early like Varg did.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

He should be send to middle east and rage against terrorist

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

He's right you know. Only current gen consoles are relevant.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KHAndAnime

@SOedipus said:

Using the system against itself. How many other countries would have given him such a cushy sentence? What a joke! And no, he won't get out.

Well, this just proved that Norway is more concerned with rehabilitation than revenge. If Anders seems sound of mind and has good behavior (not sure what the odds of this are), I'm not sure how they can keep him if they are running an honest legal system.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@KHAndAnime said:
@SOedipus said:

Well, this just proved that Norway is more concerned with rehabilitation than revenge. If Anders seems sound of mind and has good behavior (not sure what the odds of this are), I'm not sure how they can keep him if they are running an honest legal system.

I never understand stuff like this. The right cares only about vengeance, and the left only cares about rehabilitation. They need a balanced approach. Sure, rehab should be the goal, but he killed 77 people. He stole the right to exist from 77 people, I think it's fair he has forfeited his own.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Everybody knows that the plastic containers for microwave dinners contain phthalates that leach into the food. This poor man is the victim of state-inflicted chemical poisoning! :-O

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6821 Posts

I normally have a lot of respect for Norway's progressive values, but this is ridiculous.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Is Behring Strait?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

In 21year time when he released if not sooner he will do it again. Hang him slowly.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

He's not getting out in 21 years, Relax.

21 Years is the maximum jail sentence you can get, however we also have a thing called "Forvaring" (Containment) which is different. Breivik got 21 years containment sentence in jail.

While both involve prison, the containment means that after the 21 years a committee will evaluate wether the person is no longer dangerous to be released in public and if still deemed a danger they get 3-5 years more and then the committee will again evaluate the person which might cause them to give another 5 years and so on.

While if you are given 21 years jail time then after 21 years you are then a free man until you commit another crime.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Treflis said:

21 Years is the maximum jail sentence you can get, however we also have a thing called "Forvaring" (Containment) which is different. Breivik got 21 years containment sentence in jail.

While both involve prison, the containment means that after the 21 years a committee will evaluate wether the person is no longer dangerous to be released in public and if still deemed a danger they get 3-5 years more and then the committee will again evaluate the person which might cause them to give another 5 years and so on.

While if you are given 21 years jail time then after 21 years you are then a free man until you commit another crime.

And who's to say the committee will extend his sentence? If he gives the committee no reason to think he's still dangerous (which should be pretty easy to do for him, though Nazi salutes don't help), then I'm not sure how they can hold him. Once again, I don't think the law is going to make an exception. If anything, I bet he will get out eventually, but he will be heavily watched and/or murdered.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@Treflis said:

And who's to say the committee will extend his sentence? If he gives the committee no reason to think he's still dangerous (which should be pretty easy to do for him, though Nazi salutes don't help), then I'm not sure how they can hold him. Once again, I don't think the law is going to make an exception. If anything, I bet he will get out eventually, but he will be heavily watched and/or murdered.

If he somehow do get out, at which point I'd assume he'd be an old man. He might very likely be put in protective custody. If that is the case then they'll likely have him in a sort of house arrest.

Considering the largest criminal gang in Norway has put a bounty on his head and the rest of us hate him like the plague, He'd likely never truely be free to walk on the streets again.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:
@Treflis said:

As a Norwegian... I honestly expect him to be released one day. Maybe as early as 21 years. Though there are still things he is denied, so for what it is worth, he is still considered dangerous, maybe not directly, but indirectly. I think that will take longer time to change.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@hillelslovak said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@SOedipus said:

I never understand stuff like this. The right cares only about vengeance, and the left only cares about rehabilitation. They need a balanced approach. Sure, rehab should be the goal, but he killed 77 people. He stole the right to exist from 77 people, I think it's fair he has forfeited his own.

He's also still giving the "heil Hitler" salute, or variation of, showing little to no rehabilitation or desire to change.

Anyway, send him to an American prison. An "exchange" program.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@Storm_Marine: oh he will then they'll play in a band together or something.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Pathetic country

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
@one_plum said:

I normally have a lot of respect for Norway's progressive values, but this is ridiculous.

Their politics has become self hating as of late in which they are actually propping up assholes like this at the expense of everyone else.. This isn't suggesting the US justice system is good, but clearly there is a middle ground between systems like Norway's and the US's..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@mrbojangles25 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@SOedipus said:

He's also still giving the "heil Hitler" salute, or variation of, showing little to no rehabilitation or desire to change.

Why cant they just administer a hot shot of heroin to him? At some point, a human being can no longer live with other human beings, and he crossed that line 77 times. Putting him to sleep for good does not have to be about vengeance and hatred. He has simply forfeited his right to live. Imagine being one of these families. He murders a family member of yours, and your tax dollars have to pay for his PS3 and whatever other items he wants IN PRISON. Immoral.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KHAndAnime

@mrbojangles25 said:

He still has more than 3/4 of his sentence to go. If anything it would be a little too suspicious if he already claimed to have pulled a 180 and is a completely changed person after only a few years.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

In civilized country even mass murderers have human rights.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Icarian said:

If we deny those who deny the rights of others, then we sink to their own level. It's why, even in a case such as Brevik, I am entirely against the death penalty. Granted, I doubt he could ever be rehabilitated and keeping him locked away until he dies is the wise decision to make, he still deserves a clean place to live and something to keep his mind occupied. Books would be a better option, as they are much cheaper than a video game console.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@foxhound_fox: Just to add to your argument, I see little reason to retain the death penalty regardless of one's priorities. It's not more effective as a deterrent, it kills the wrongfully accused, it's more expensive. What exactly merits it's continuation?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@foxhound_fox: Just to add to your argument, I see little reason to retain the death penalty regardless of one's priorities. It's not more effective as a deterrent, it kills the wrongfully accused, it's more expensive. What exactly merits it's continuation?

Agreed wholeheartedly. The death penalty as it exists today is merely an emotional crutch the state retains in order to provide comfort to the victim's families. There is no benefit to the state whatsoever that comes from the death penalty.

I still think one of the best quotes regarding justice and forsakeing revenge on all levels came from the Batman Begins character Rachel Dawes:

"Justice is about harmony. Revenge is about you making yourself feel better. Which is why we have an impartial system."

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 horgen  Moderator
@foxhound_fox said:
@Icarian said:

If we deny those who deny the rights of others, then we sink to their own level. It's why, even in a case such as Brevik, I am entirely against the death penalty. Granted, I doubt he could ever be rehabilitated and keeping him locked away until he dies is the wise decision to make, he still deserves a clean place to live and something to keep his mind occupied. Books would be a better option, as they are much cheaper than a video game console.

I would be surprised if he doesn't have access to plenty of books. Some inmates take education while doing their time.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattbbpl

@horgen: The video states that he does, indeed, have access to books.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

Thousands of African children die from hunger every day, and a PS2 is something this person cant abide by. How could his country acquiesce to a person who is obviously deranged? How oculd they not just tell him that he murdered dozens, therefore he does not deserve any instruments of leisure? Somebody should smash the PS2 right in front of his apparently 5 year old ass and "Now you dont get to play anything!"

Yeah exactly.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Icarian said:

I don't video game consoles are a human rights issue. Food, clothing, medical treatment, and shelter yes.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 horgen  Moderator
@mattbbpl said:

@horgen: The video states that he does, indeed, have access to books.

As I expected...

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

He is never getting out, just like Clifford Olson never got out of a Canadian prison except in a pine box. No parole board is ever going to let out a man who killed 77 people, mostly children.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

Send him to Joe's jail in Arizona.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By horgen  Moderator

So the Norwegian state disagrees with the ruling. And wish to take it further.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KHAndAnime

@horgen said:

Have any links?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@JimB said:

Send him to Joe's jail in Arizona.

God no, nobody deserves to be subjected to Joe Arapaio.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Still_Vicious
Member since 2016 • 319 Posts

@horgen: maybe they'll just give him probation and a ps4.

Seems like the direction they're going.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen  Moderator
@KHAndAnime said:
@horgen said:

Have any links?

Only a norwegian news report.