• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Where did your ancestors come from ? Mine come from Scotland on my dads side and Spain / Cuba on my moms. Whenever people ask I just say I'm an American though :P.

#2 Posted by thegerg (15415 posts) -
The US, Canada, France, England, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Africa.
#3 Posted by Kevlar101 (6201 posts) -
My Grandmother on my dads side was part Irish, so I am part Irish. Half of my moms family is part French, so I am part French. But, I am mostly American.... so..........
#4 Posted by Big_Pecks (5345 posts) -

I've always wanted to find out on ancestry.ca or something. All I know is that my dad's great grandparents were from Ireland and my mom's great grandparents were from Italy.

#5 Posted by The__Kraken (851 posts) -

Mainly Russian and German. With a tad bit of Irish and Canadian.

#6 Posted by thegerg (15415 posts) -
I've always found it interesting that people only provide part of their ancestry when asked this question.
#7 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6805 posts) -
I'm a black man living in the Caribbean sooooo ...
#8 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

I can only trace my ancestry back to about 1880...

#9 Posted by sonicare (53482 posts) -
I've always found it interesting that people only provide part of their ancestry when asked this question. thegerg
Elaborate.
#10 Posted by thegerg (15415 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"]I've always found it interesting that people only provide part of their ancestry when asked this question. sonicare
Elaborate.

Well, people will say something like "Irish and German" but leave out anything earlier than a couple hundred years ago, even though we know that they have African ancestors.
#11 Posted by sonicare (53482 posts) -
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="thegerg"]I've always found it interesting that people only provide part of their ancestry when asked this question. thegerg
Elaborate.

Well, people will say something like "Irish and German" but leave out anything earlier than a couple hundred years ago, even though we know that they have African ancestors.

Well according to some scientists, all humans originated from Africa. But I doubt that people can really trace their lineage back that far.
#12 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

I'm mostly English and Irish, with some very distant native amaerican.

#13 Posted by thegerg (15415 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="sonicare"] Elaborate.sonicare

Well according to some scientists, all humans originated from Africa. But I doubt that people can really trace their lineage back that far.

If they're human, they can trace it back to Africa. They may not be able to hit every year inbetween, but the science doesn't lie.

#14 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

Germany and Ireland mostly. Africa if you go back far enough.

#15 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -
I'm about half Irish with the rest being Scottish, English, and Native American. I'm not certain how many generations of my family have lived in the United States but I know it has been for well over 100 years.
#17 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

I think my father was able to trace our ancestry back to around 1300s IIRC.

I am half Danish and a Irish Wales mix.

#18 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Well, people will say something like "Irish and German" but leave out anything earlier than a couple hundred years ago, even though we know that they have African ancestors.thegerg

If they're human, they can trace it back to Africa. They may not be able to hit every year inbetween, but the science doesn't lie.

So you want everyone to provide the redundant answer of "Africa way back"?
#19 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

My earliest ancestor discovered goes back to the Middle East during the Crusades.

Another branch of the family tree originated in Italy, prominent during the Renaissance.

More recently, my bloodline had ended up in England where one of my direct ancestors emigrated and got a little tasteful with Native American wildlife. Needless to say, it's gone all over the place since then.

#20 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
Italy and England mostly.
#21 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

I'm pretty much a mix of every white county :P

I've got the obvious ones, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and I've got other ones like France and Denmark as well.

#22 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, and French

#23 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -

I have no idea. My grandfather was Irish. That's all I know.

#24 Posted by Namgis (3577 posts) -

Eurasia via Beringia.

#25 Posted by Vaultboy-101 (1778 posts) -

England, Australia and Ireland on my fathers side, Ukraine, Poland, Russia, Germany and Italy on my mothers side, and like all other human beings, African on a all sides :P. Other than that, I'm not currently aware.

#26 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Land of the ice and snow, tea town, and Bohemia
#27 Posted by Nayef_shroof (709 posts) -

Well, although I haven't done any genetic tests to be fully certain, as far as I know all of my ancestry is from Palestine

#28 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
Germany, England, Ireland/Scotland (Ulster-Scot/Scots-Irish).
#29 Posted by comp_atkins (31465 posts) -
czechoslovakia ( not sure which side now that it's split ) and italy mostly..
#30 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Scottish, English, French and Spanish.

[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] Well according to some scientists, all humans originated from Africa. But I doubt that people can really trace their lineage back that far. FrostyPhantasm

So you want everyone to provide the redundant answer of "Africa way back"?

It's thegerg. He's absurdly pedantic like that.

#31 Posted by BossPerson (9472 posts) -

The arabian penninsula and egypt

#32 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Before Canada, there were people from England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany and The Netherlands.
#33 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

well...it depends how far back you want to go.

#34 Posted by TheFlush (5565 posts) -

I know my family tree until 10 generations back. They all came from the town of Tilburg in The Netherlands. And that's the town I live in right now :D

#35 Posted by soulless4now (41377 posts) -

Africa, North America, Madagascar, possibly Mexico (unconfirmed).

#36 Posted by t3hrubikscube (20416 posts) -
Ireland Norway UK
#37 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -
Portugal but who knows whats mixed in there because the place my folks are from had soo many different people passing through
#38 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151354 posts) -
German, Irish, Swiss.....
#39 Posted by MrPraline (21321 posts) -
and The Netherlands.Zeviander
: > And think they were mostly from NL and Germany for me.
#40 Posted by Agent-Zero (6196 posts) -
Just guessing by origins of last names and maiden names my father's side seems to be entirely of Irish decent. my mother's side is a mix of English and French, probably French-Canadian.
#41 Posted by CreatureRising (1531 posts) -

Mainly Italian, but Scottish, German, and some Irish as well.

#42 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Cambodia

#43 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

America

#44 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
I'm a mutt. In recent history, Italian, Russian, french, and English.
#45 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -
Like 20,000+ ancestry? or recent ancestry?
#46 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -

Darkman2007
Yeah, I was wondering what the TC definition of ancestry is.
#47 Posted by zombehhhhh (452 posts) -

Germany, France on my moms side. Yugoslavia on my dads side.

#48 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Sorry, I wasn't too clear.  I mainly meant like from the past 2 centuries or so ( recent history).  And which you identify most with personally and think you have inherited the most of.

#49 Posted by BossPerson (9472 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

NEWMAHAY
Yeah, I was wondering what the TC definition of ancestry is.

where were they during the neolithic revolution
#50 Posted by Slashless (10097 posts) -
Ireland (during the potato famine no less!) from my father's side and France from my mother's side.