Amount of time it takes to earn what a CEO does in an hour

  • 69 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Serraph105 (28063 posts) -

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

#2 Posted by Master_Live (14562 posts) -

And that is that.

#3 Edited by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

#4 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i wonder if they assumed the average CEO works 40 hours a week.

#5 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament said:

i wonder if they assumed the average CEO works 40 hours a week.

I imagine that's the only way they could make a comparison. Take the yearly salary of that CEO and divide it by how many hours an hourly-worker puts in a year.

Most salary workers put in 12+ hours a day.

#6 Posted by deeliman (2432 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

Yes, but do they require 1000 times more brain power than those jobs? I really doubt that it does.

#7 Edited by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

Yes, but do they require 1000 times more brain power than those jobs? I really doubt that it does.

No it doesn't. I do believe CEOs make more than they should for what they do. Also, they're severance checks are appalling, but they do run an entire company and I don't believe a burger flipper or shopping cart pusher should expect to raise a family, pay a mortgage, make car payments, etc. on an entry-level job's wage.

#8 Posted by grove12345 (773 posts) -

Yet i think anesthesiologist assistants and nurses and other healthcare professions make more with a 6 year degree than most CEOs who worked 15 years at their company including a 5 year degree.

#9 Posted by deeliman (2432 posts) -

@grove12345 said:

Yet i think anesthesiologist assistants and nurses and other healthcare professions make more with a 6 year degree than most CEOs who worked 15 years at their company including a 5 year degree.

No, not really...

#10 Posted by deeliman (2432 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

Yes, but do they require 1000 times more brain power than those jobs? I really doubt that it does.

No it doesn't. I do believe CEOs make more than they should for what they do. Also, they're severance checks are appalling, but they do run an entire company and I don't believe a burger flipper or shopping cart pusher should expect to raise a family, pay a mortgage, make car payments, etc. on an entry-level job's wage.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks that they can afford those things on minimum wage.

#11 Edited by InEMplease (6334 posts) -

I love how they just throw "US president Barack Obama pledged last month to support the Senate proposal to raise the federally mandated minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10." in at the very end.

#12 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@grove12345 said:

Yet i think anesthesiologist assistants and nurses and other healthcare professions make more with a 6 year degree than most CEOs who worked 15 years at their company including a 5 year degree.

No, not really...

The median wage of a CEO in the united states is $774k a year while an anesthesiologist and a nurse practitioner make $345k and $94k respectively.

#13 Edited by Master_Live (14562 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

Yes, but do they require 1000 times more brain power than those jobs? I really doubt that it does.

No it doesn't. I do believe CEOs make more than they should for what they do. Also, they're severance checks are appalling, but they do run an entire company and I don't believe a burger flipper or shopping cart pusher should expect to raise a family, pay a mortgage, make car payments, etc. on an entry-level job's wage.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks that they can afford those things on minimum wage.

You would be surprised.

#14 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

Yes, but do they require 1000 times more brain power than those jobs? I really doubt that it does.

No it doesn't. I do believe CEOs make more than they should for what they do. Also, they're severance checks are appalling, but they do run an entire company and I don't believe a burger flipper or shopping cart pusher should expect to raise a family, pay a mortgage, make car payments, etc. on an entry-level job's wage.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks that they can afford those things on minimum wage.

Not necessarily that they THINK they can, but that they SHOULD.

#15 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

C.E.O.'s generate far more revenue and have a far more limited and inelastic supply than "average workers". Therefore it is no surprise that they have far higher compensation.

#16 Edited by deeliman (2432 posts) -

@plageus900: I do think it should be enough to at least support them selves, and as it stands right now, it isn't.

#17 Edited by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@plageus900: I do think it should be enough to at least support them selves, and as it stands right now, it isn't.

I depends. I worked at The Home Depot for 4 years. I made shitty pay ($10.25/hr) but I was able to manage my money properly and live within my means. I had a shitty, low-rent apartment, an 18 year old truck, I didn't throw money out the window at things I didn't need, etc. I couldn't have all the things I wanted, but I was able to put a roof over my head and shitty food on my table :P.

#18 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

Yes, but do they require 1000 times more brain power than those jobs? I really doubt that it does.

No it doesn't. I do believe CEOs make more than they should for what they do. Also, they're severance checks are appalling, but they do run an entire company and I don't believe a burger flipper or shopping cart pusher should expect to raise a family, pay a mortgage, make car payments, etc. on an entry-level job's wage.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks that they can afford those things on minimum wage.

Not necessarily that they THINK they can, but that they SHOULD.

How ridiculous, that people think their jobs should support their ability to live. . .

#19 Posted by deeliman (2432 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900: I do think it should be enough to at least support them selves, and as it stands right now, it isn't.

I depends. I worked at The Home Depot for 4 years. I made shitty pay ($10.25/hr) but I was able to manage my money properly and live within my means. I had a shitty, low-rent apartment, an 18 year old truck, I didn't throw money out the window at things I didn't need, etc. I couldn't have all the things I wanted, but I was able to put a roof over my head and shitty food on my table :P.

That's not minimum wage though. That's like $7.25. Imagine how hard (impossible) it would have been to live with that wage considering getting paid $10.25 was already hard.

#20 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

Yes, but do they require 1000 times more brain power than those jobs? I really doubt that it does.

No it doesn't. I do believe CEOs make more than they should for what they do. Also, they're severance checks are appalling, but they do run an entire company and I don't believe a burger flipper or shopping cart pusher should expect to raise a family, pay a mortgage, make car payments, etc. on an entry-level job's wage.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks that they can afford those things on minimum wage.

Not necessarily that they THINK they can, but that they SHOULD.

How ridiculous, that people think their jobs should support their ability to live. . .

Nice try, disregard exactly what I said. I SAID that an individual shouldn't EXPECT to support an entire family, pay off a mortgage, and make car-payments on an ENTRY-LEVEL job. There's a point when responsibility and thinking ahead comes into play. If you plan on popping out kids, buying a house, and buying everything you want, don't go looking to be a Wal-Mart greeter.

#21 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@Makhaidos said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

Yes, but do they require 1000 times more brain power than those jobs? I really doubt that it does.

No it doesn't. I do believe CEOs make more than they should for what they do. Also, they're severance checks are appalling, but they do run an entire company and I don't believe a burger flipper or shopping cart pusher should expect to raise a family, pay a mortgage, make car payments, etc. on an entry-level job's wage.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks that they can afford those things on minimum wage.

Not necessarily that they THINK they can, but that they SHOULD.

How ridiculous, that people think their jobs should support their ability to live. . .

Nice try, disregard exactly what I said. I SAID that an individual shouldn't EXPECT to support an entire family, pay off a mortgage, and make car-payments on an ENTRY-LEVEL job. There's a point when responsibility and thinking ahead comes into play. If you plan on popping out kids, buying a house, and buying everything you want, don't go looking to be a Wal-Mart greeter.

Except not everybody plans on having kids, sometimes life takes a bad turn and you have no choice but to be a Walmart greeter long after you got a house, and unless you're lucky enough to live close to where you work/buy food, you need a car in order to live.

I'm not saying that you should be able to "buy whatever you want." I'm saying that there is nothing wrong whatsoever with expecting to meet Maslow's first two levels of need with your income. That's the point of having an income.

#22 Edited by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900: I do think it should be enough to at least support them selves, and as it stands right now, it isn't.

I depends. I worked at The Home Depot for 4 years. I made shitty pay ($10.25/hr) but I was able to manage my money properly and live within my means. I had a shitty, low-rent apartment, an 18 year old truck, I didn't throw money out the window at things I didn't need, etc. I couldn't have all the things I wanted, but I was able to put a roof over my head and shitty food on my table :P.

That's not minimum wage though. That's like $7.25. Imagine how hard (impossible) it would have been to live with that wage considering getting paid $10.25 was already hard.

You're right. I think $7.25 is pretty low. I live in Washington state where minimum wage is $9.19/hr. It was $7.45 when I got out of high school. I honestly think minimum wage should be at about $10.50 an hour. In the Seattle-Tacoma area, I know that after some bitching an moaning, workers got their minimum wage raised to $15 and hour. I think that's way too much for what they're doing.

#23 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@plageus900 said:

@Makhaidos said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@deeliman said:

@plageus900 said:

@Serraph105 said:

So here is an interesting study I saw in the news today, over a hundred fast food and retail stores were sampled and they calculated how long it takes the average employee to earn what their company's CEO earns in an hour. Here are the companies from the sample with the highest earning CEOs, and how long it takes an average worker to earn just an hour of their pay.

McDonalds - 6 months 4 weeks

Starbucks 6 months 2 weeks

Dollar General 5 months 4 weeks

The Gap 5 months 2 weeks

TJ Maxx 5 months 2 weeks

Target 4 months 4 weeks

Walmart 4 months 3 weeks

CVS 4 months 2 weeks

Best Buy 3 months 4 weeks

AT&T 3 months 1 week.

My thought is that this is a clear sign of poor income inequality.

So what are your thoughts OT?

http://qz.com/156522/how-many-months-it-takes-an-average-worker-to-earn-what-the-ceo-makes-in-an-hour/

I'm not defending CEOs but look at what the average worker for each of those companies does. McDonalds? Flip burgers. Starbucks? Make coffee. The clothing stores? Sell clothes, fold clothes, retrieve go backs. None of the jobs listed here require a lot of brain power or technical proficiency.

Yes, but do they require 1000 times more brain power than those jobs? I really doubt that it does.

No it doesn't. I do believe CEOs make more than they should for what they do. Also, they're severance checks are appalling, but they do run an entire company and I don't believe a burger flipper or shopping cart pusher should expect to raise a family, pay a mortgage, make car payments, etc. on an entry-level job's wage.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks that they can afford those things on minimum wage.

Not necessarily that they THINK they can, but that they SHOULD.

How ridiculous, that people think their jobs should support their ability to live. . .

Nice try, disregard exactly what I said. I SAID that an individual shouldn't EXPECT to support an entire family, pay off a mortgage, and make car-payments on an ENTRY-LEVEL job. There's a point when responsibility and thinking ahead comes into play. If you plan on popping out kids, buying a house, and buying everything you want, don't go looking to be a Wal-Mart greeter.

Except not everybody plans on having kids, sometimes life takes a bad turn and you have no choice but to be a Walmart greeter long after you got a house, and unless you're lucky enough to live close to where you work/buy food, you need a car in order to live.

I'm not saying that you should be able to "buy whatever you want." I'm saying that there is nothing wrong whatsoever with expecting to meet Maslow's first two hierarchies of need with your income.

I agree with you. I think a minimum wage job should meet someone's basic needs for survival. You can also get a decent junker car that will get you from point A to point B for about $800. I know sometimes life takes a bad turn and it sucks for those people, because they try and make smart decisions and they end up shit creek.

I was mostly addressing individuals who wont even try to make smart decisions (a lot of my friends); they drop out of school, knock up their girlfriend because they didn't want to buy condoms or get birth control from family planning, and now they cant get at least a decent job to raise their kid because they didn't finish school and no one wants to hire them. Now they want their brainless job to hand over 18 dollars an hour to them so they can make a living.

#24 Edited by Serraph105 (28063 posts) -

@plageus900:

I definitely agree with you there. In fact I would even argue that Starbucks could be fully automated or at least the drinks could because coffee dispensers exist.

#25 Posted by thegerg (15221 posts) -

They also make their employers far more money than a burger flipper. They deserve every cent they earn, just like you.

#26 Edited by Serraph105 (28063 posts) -

I also would remind those who attempt to argue that the people in low wage jobs are there because they made poor choices in life could very easily be there because they were hit hard by the current recession. It always sort of astounds me that people use such a blanket argument while ignoring the fact that many people had higher cost lives (families included) that they worked hard to obtain, and now have no choice but to resort to low paying jobs.

#27 Edited by one_plum (6354 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

I also would remind those who attempt to argue that the people in those types of jobs are there because they made poor choices in life could very easy be there because they werre hit hard by the current recession. It always sorta astounds me that people use such a blanket argument while ignoring the fact that many people very well may have had higher cost lives (families included) that they worked hard to obtain, and now haveno choice but to resort to low paying jobs.

While some people do make bad choices in life, I agree that It's easy to rub in on others when things go your way.

#28 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17379 posts) -

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

Obviously they deserve to be making well-more than what the low-level employees do, but when you are making the equivalent of half a years salary of one of your employees in a mere hour then there is something seriously wrong....

There are plenty of people who work their asses of to get good degrees in good fields and then work their asses off in said field and still make a small fraction of what CEO's do. God even doctors have to do how many years of schooling, maintain their education throughout their entire career, pay off that massive college debt, most likely be on-call 24/7, and yet even then they are still making like a quarter or less of what a CEO makes and their job is one that takes a ton of intelligence and is generally one of the most helpful jobs in society in terms of what they do for their community.

What makes it even more disgustin is that these CEO's can suck ass at their job and STILL make a freaking fortune, even when their bad actions ruin things for others....

#29 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

Obviously they deserve to be making well-more than what the low-level employees do, but when you are making the equivalent of half a years salary of one of your employees in a mere hour then there is something seriously wrong....

There are plenty of people who work their asses of to get good degrees in good fields and then work their asses off in said field and still make a small fraction of what CEO's do. God even doctors have to do how many years of schooling, maintain their education throughout their entire career, pay off that massive college debt, most likely be on-call 24/7, and yet even then they are still making like a quarter or less of what a CEO makes and their job is one that takes a ton of intelligence and is generally one of the most helpful jobs in society in terms of what they do for their community.

What makes it even more disgustin is that these CEO's can suck ass at their job and STILL make a freaking fortune, even when their bad actions ruin things for others....

I didn't realize Doctors made dogshit compared to CEOs until you mentioned it. The median salary for a surgeon is only $344k a year! Don't they make extra from pharmaceutical companies for prescribing their drugs? I thought they did.

#30 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

that's just one of the perks of being the boss, if you want boss money, be a boss.

#31 Posted by Master_Live (14562 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

So how much should CEO's make?

#32 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17379 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

So how much should CEO's make?

Probably about half what they are currently making.

#33 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

Thing is, experienced CEOs are hard to come by. CEOs have a lot to lose, and could bankrupt a company.
So you need a good CEO.

Mcdonalds doesn't "need" good workers, they have charts like these so that any idiot could do the job.

Lets say two people are investing their $$$ in stocks.

Who's going to make more, the guy who invests $100 and getting 10% profit

Or the guy risking $100,000 and getting 10% profit

They're both risking their money, why does one get to profit more?

#34 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Master_Live said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

So how much should CEO's make?

Probably about half what they are currently making.

There are some CEOs that make a dollar or less a year salary. They do however get paid via the stocks they own in the company. That seems pretty legit to me.

#35 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6801 posts) -

Well, they do have an entire company on their shoulders to manage.

#36 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3885 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Master_Live said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

So how much should CEO's make?

Probably about half what they are currently making.

There are some CEOs that make a dollar or less a year salary. They do however get paid via the stocks they own in the company. That seems pretty legit to me.

The thing is they are being paid disproportionately much for the amount of work they are doing while the Average American wages keep going down while productivity is at an all time high.

#37 Posted by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@plageus900 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Master_Live said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

So how much should CEO's make?

Probably about half what they are currently making.

There are some CEOs that make a dollar or less a year salary. They do however get paid via the stocks they own in the company. That seems pretty legit to me.

The thing is they are being paid disproportionately much for the amount of work they are doing while the Average American wages keep going down while productivity is at an all time high.

The average CEO makes too much compared to the amount of work they do. I was mentioning the few CEOs that make a dollar or less in salary while making their living from the stocks they own in the company.

#38 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17379 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Master_Live said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

So how much should CEO's make?

Probably about half what they are currently making.

There are some CEOs that make a dollar or less a year salary. They do however get paid via the stocks they own in the company. That seems pretty legit to me.

See this is a great option as it really encourages them to actually do a good job.

#39 Edited by plageus900 (1060 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@plageus900 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Master_Live said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

So how much should CEO's make?

Probably about half what they are currently making.

There are some CEOs that make a dollar or less a year salary. They do however get paid via the stocks they own in the company. That seems pretty legit to me.

See this is a great option as it really encourages them to actually do a good job.

Correct, because if their company is doing shitty, stocks go down and their source of income goes down.

#40 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@plageus900 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Master_Live said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?

So how much should CEO's make?

Probably about half what they are currently making.

There are some CEOs that make a dollar or less a year salary. They do however get paid via the stocks they own in the company. That seems pretty legit to me.

See this is a great option as it really encourages them to actually do a good job.

Because keeping their jobs isn't encouragement enough...

#41 Edited by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

Look, the reason why C.E.O.'s are paid high and "average workers" are paid badly is due to the labour market and the state of the economy, not crappy morality based reasons like "deserved pay". A modern fast food worker certainly doesn't work much harder or more intelligently than a farmer from 2000 years ago but their real income is easily 10 times higher than that of said farmers. So clearly from the perspective of 13 A.D. farmers, modern fast food workers don't "deserve" to earn $15000 a year.

So why are fast food workers so rich compared to 13 A.D. farmers? It's because our revenue productivity is significantly higher as a result of our modern technology (reducing the amount of fast food workers you need to deliver the product) and the relatively high income of our fast food consumers (leading to higher demand for fast food). A fast food worker doesn't work 10x harder or smarter than a classical age farmer but he might be 10 times more productive.

Same logic when you compare a C.E.O. and a fast food worker. The highest ratio on that list is McDonald's C.E.O. earning 5, 000 times that of an average McDonald's worker, but when his company employs 1, 800, 000 people his income is effectively a drop in the ocean as a portion of total labour costs. And when C.E.O.'s capable of making a company with 1.8 million employees profitable are so rare, McDonald's is certainly going to pay him tonnes of money to keep him around. It doesn't matter that AT&T's C.E.O. doesn't work 2, 300 times harder or smarter than an average AT&T employee if he generates 2, 300 times more revenue for the company and very few people are capable of doing that and handling AT&T's quarter million employees.

Point is, in a discussion of wage inequality there's no real point in asking who deserves how much money or who's overpaid or underpaid or trying to determine a "fair wage". Sure, if companies really paid what they wanted to pay, all their employees(including the C.E.O.) would probably be earning $0. The only thing that keeps wages up is the state of economy, and if you want service workers to earn more and have a better standard of living, the main way of doing it is by strengthening the labour market so that you guys in the U.S. don't have 10 million people chasing a hundred thousand fast food jobs. Also, cut it out with the fucking quote towers.

#42 Posted by thegerg (15221 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL: On what do you base the "one half" figure? Do you realize that that would put a good number of workers out of a job?

#43 Posted by thegerg (15221 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL: "I thought it was already well-known that CEO's make WAY more than they should?"

Who determines who makes "more than they should" and what are the criteria used to make such a determination?

#44 Edited by mattbbpl (10636 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

See this is a great option as it really encourages them to actually do a good job.

That's not necessarily true. It encourages them to increase the company's stock price in the short term, but this can come at the expense of long term strategy/viability, staying within legal and ethical boundaries, and other such concerns.

#45 Posted by ad1x2 (5604 posts) -

People can complain that CEOs make too much money but fact of the matter is their job is to make their company money. If their ability to lead is what causes their company to make $50 million in profits then of course they are going to be well compensated for their efforts even if it is only a tenth of that amount.

Your leadership, responsibility, and ability to be replaced will determine your compensation. That is why in the military, for example, a private makes a little less than $20,000 a year while a four star general makes over $200,000 a year. In almost any regular job the manager will make more than a standard labor worker.

#46 Posted by lostrib (36919 posts) -

If that's what the company think the CEO is worth, then why shouldn't he get paid that much

#47 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

>CEO is in charge of making sure the company stays profitable.

>McDonalds workers are in charge of removing fries from a frier, when the timer goes "Beep, Beep, Beep"

One requires decades of experience, and at least one degree.
The other can be taught in 5 minutes

Why do people even ask these questions?

#48 Posted by Master_Live (14562 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

Why do people even ask these questions?

Because some people like to bitch about what other people earn all the time.

#49 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3885 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:

People can complain that CEOs make too much money but fact of the matter is their job is to make their company money. If their ability to lead is what causes their company to make $50 million in profits then of course they are going to be well compensated for their efforts even if it is only a tenth of that amount.

Your leadership, responsibility, and ability to be replaced will determine your compensation. That is why in the military, for example, a private makes a little less than $20,000 a year while a four star general makes over $200,000 a year. In almost any regular job the manager will make more than a standard labor worker.

but that's a 10 fold increase in pay, not a 1000 fold increase in pay. It can be said that a general is contributing 10 times more than a private, but is a CEO contributing 1000 more?

#50 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@ad1x2 said:

People can complain that CEOs make too much money but fact of the matter is their job is to make their company money. If their ability to lead is what causes their company to make $50 million in profits then of course they are going to be well compensated for their efforts even if it is only a tenth of that amount.

Your leadership, responsibility, and ability to be replaced will determine your compensation. That is why in the military, for example, a private makes a little less than $20,000 a year while a four star general makes over $200,000 a year. In almost any regular job the manager will make more than a standard labor worker.

but that's a 10 fold increase in pay, not a 1000 fold increase in pay. It can be said that a general is contributing 10 times more than a private, but is a CEO contributing 1000 more?

When you're talking about handling companies with almost 100, 000 employees to over 1, 000, 000 employees, then yes, a C.E.O. who can pull it off is probably contributing thousands of times more revenue than the average worker.