American TV Online Streaming...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by harashawn (27604 posts) -

I've been watching Breaking Bad on Netflix, and since it doesn't have any of season 5 and I don't get the channel(s) that broadcast it, I decided to go to the AMC website for the show. I can watch any Canadian show on their network's websites, so I was quite surprised to see that it doesn't have episodes online. Then I checked out a couple other American TV network websites, and they don't seem to have episode streaming either. Do American TV networks just not offer online streaming of TV series? If not, why do you think that is? It makes sense for them to do it.

#2 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

I've been watching Breaking Bad on Netflix, and since it doesn't have any of season 5 and I don't get the channel(s) that broadcast it, I decided to go to the AMC website for the show. I can watch any Canadian show on their network's websites, so I was quite surprised to see that it doesn't have episodes online. Then I checked out a couple other American TV network websites, and they don't seem to have episode streaming either. Do American TV networks just not offer online streaming of TV series?

harashawn
I think you have to pay to see Breaking Bad season 5 =/. I watched from my friends amazon account ( I think he paid 20 dollars or so for the HD breaking bad season 5).
#3 Posted by harashawn (27604 posts) -
[QUOTE="harashawn"]

I've been watching Breaking Bad on Netflix, and since it doesn't have any of season 5 and I don't get the channel(s) that broadcast it, I decided to go to the AMC website for the show. I can watch any Canadian show on their network's websites, so I was quite surprised to see that it doesn't have episodes online. Then I checked out a couple other American TV network websites, and they don't seem to have episode streaming either. Do American TV networks just not offer online streaming of TV series?

nooblet69
I think you have to pay to see Breaking Bad season 5 =/. I watched from my friends amazon account ( I think he paid 20 dollars or so for the HD breaking bad season 5).

That deeply saddens me. I've never considered that you would have to pay to watch television online. Is it just for new seasons or do you have to pay for any season of a show at all?
#4 Posted by MistressMinako (45922 posts) -
They usually release it on Netflix when the DVD/Blu-ray is released. I'm not sure if season 5 is over but if it isn't out yet for home video that is probably why. There are some exceptions, of course. Hulu and the network's website seem to be the only few legal options.
#5 Posted by harashawn (27604 posts) -
[QUOTE="MistressMinako"]They usually release it on Netflix when the DVD/Blu-ray is released. I'm not sure if season 5 is over but if it isn't out yet for home video that is probably why. There are some exceptions, of course. Hulu and the network's website seem to be the only few legal options.

The thing is I wanted to be caught up when the second half of the season starts this summer. Hulu isn't available in Canada, unfortunately. The episodes aren't on the network's website, unless they've hidden them quite well.
#6 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

They usually release it on Netflix when the DVD/Blu-ray is released. I'm not sure if season 5 is over but if it isn't out yet for home video that is probably why. There are some exceptions, of course. Hulu and the network's website seem to be the only few legal options.MistressMinako
Season 5 was split into two parts, it'll probably be about a year from now when dvds are released.

#7 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14531 posts) -

They usually release it on Netflix when the DVD/Blu-ray is released. I'm not sure if season 5 is over but if it isn't out yet for home video that is probably why. There are some exceptions, of course. Hulu and the network's website seem to be the only few legal options.MistressMinako
They've split the season in half; the second half airs this summer.  They still haven't given an release date for the DVDs either, not sure if they're gonna split it, or wait until the second half finishes airing.

#8 Posted by MistressMinako (45922 posts) -
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="MistressMinako"]They usually release it on Netflix when the DVD/Blu-ray is released. I'm not sure if season 5 is over but if it isn't out yet for home video that is probably why. There are some exceptions, of course. Hulu and the network's website seem to be the only few legal options.

The thing is I wanted to be caught up when the second half of the season starts this summer. Hulu isn't available in Canada, unfortunately. The episodes aren't on the network's website, unless they've hidden them quite well.

I see well I wasn't sure if it was on the network's website but I don't know any other sites other than Hulu (after a search it isn't on Hulu anyway). Netflix should have it before the next season starts. As to when will that be, who knows.
#9 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14531 posts) -
[QUOTE="MistressMinako"][QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="MistressMinako"]They usually release it on Netflix when the DVD/Blu-ray is released. I'm not sure if season 5 is over but if it isn't out yet for home video that is probably why. There are some exceptions, of course. Hulu and the network's website seem to be the only few legal options.

I see well I wasn't sure if it was on the network's website but I don't know any other sites other than Hulu (after a search it isn't on Hulu anyway). Netflix should have it before the next season starts. As to when will that be, who knows.

It premiered mid-July last year, so I imagine it would around the same time--more or less.
#10 Posted by MistressMinako (45922 posts) -
Season 5 was split into two parts, it'll probably be about a year from now when dvds are released.cain006
They've split the season in half; the second half airs this summer.  They still haven't given an release date for the DVDs either, not sure if they're gonna split it, or wait until the second half finishes airing.Hallenbeck77
My mistake, I didn't know how it was being handled as I just started watching the series. I heard there was a season 6 coming out so that is basically season 5-2?
#11 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14531 posts) -

[QUOTE="cain006"]Season 5 was split into two parts, it'll probably be about a year from now when dvds are released.MistressMinako
They've split the season in half; the second half airs this summer.  They still haven't given an release date for the DVDs either, not sure if they're gonna split it, or wait until the second half finishes airing.Hallenbeck77
My mistake, I didn't know how it was being handled as I just started watching the series. I heard there was a season 6 coming out so that is basically season 5-2?

Actually this second half coming up marks the end of the series. It was supposed to end last year, but AMC decided to split it in half.  It's considered Season 5, part 2, just like you said.

#12 Posted by MistressMinako (45922 posts) -
Actually this second half coming up marks the end of the series. It was supposed to end last year, but AMC decided to split it in half.  It's considered Season 5, part 2, just like you said.Hallenbeck77
Ah okay then. Well, I hope the DVD release isn't in parts. I hate having to pay for part one and two but oh well.
#13 Posted by dave123321 (34261 posts) -
[QUOTE="nooblet69"][QUOTE="harashawn"]

harashawn

That deeply saddens me. I've never considered that you would have to pay to watch television online. Is it just for new seasons or do you have to pay for any season of a show at all?

You usually have to pay for any season. AMC doesn't put their stuff online for free, nor do HBO or Showtime without a subscription. Networks like fox and NBC do have the last several episodes of a show online on their website, but never whole seasons. Only options to watch online is to pay.