America! Fvck yeah!

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Boy, 5, killed sister, 2, with "children's rifle"

At first I was thinking how the hell a children's rifle can kill, and I Googled it and found this which looks like the gun involved in the incident.

[spoiler] crickett.22+006.jpg [/spoiler]

Real bullets... in a children's rifle.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
First rifle for children, huh? Okaaay...
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I've said it before, I'll say it again...as a gun owner and lover...parents need to start being held responsible if anything happens with any guns in their house or any guns they own. Whether they committed the crime or not, the parents need to be held responsible. If the parents start having to take the hit for what kids do with their guns, they will start actually locking them up. I'm tired of idiots making the 99.99 percent of responsible gun owners look bad.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Little .22s have been given to kids for decades so the kids and learn to properly handle firearms. Accidents like this happen from time to time when the parent is irresponsible enough to give a kid the gun without keeping the ammo and gun separated and locked up except when out shooting.

Also this goes to show the caliber and type of gun is irrelevant.

Accidents like this happen from time to time just like any other gun related accident. It's sad and shouldn't happen, but it does.

Also what would you expect a .22 rilfe to shoot? Paintballs? BBs? 

My question is, why was the gun out and loaded? That's irresponsible.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
interesting. i managed not to shoot anyone when i was in possession of a .22 at a young age. i guess i'm in the minority
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
My question is why would you give your five year old child anything other then a waterpistol? What reason, which would have to make sense, would you buy a child below at least 14-15 years a firearm? Regardless of caliber.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pirate700

My question is why would you give your five year old child anything other then a waterpistol? What reason, which would have to make sense, would you buy a child below at least 14-15 years a firearm? Regardless of caliber.Treflis
The point is to expose them to responsible firearm usage at an early age so they learn to respect it and properly use it. When doing so though, you are never supposed to walk away while the child is using the gun and certainly not leave it laying out, loaded.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I've said it before, I'll say it again...as a gun owner and lover...parents need to start being held responsible if anything happens with any guns in their house or any guns they own. Whether they committed the crime or not, the parents need to be held responsible. If the parents start having to take the hit for what kids do with their guns, they will start actually locking them up. I'm tired of idiots making the 99.99 percent of responsible gun owners look bad.

Pirate700
That sounds reasonable to me. There's no excuse for being this negligent.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wasdie  Moderator

My question is why would you give your five year old child anything other then a waterpistol? What reason, which would have to make sense, would you buy a child below at least 14-15 years a firearm? Regardless of caliber.Treflis

That's a damn good quesiton. 5 years old is way too young for riles. I can see 7-8 under parental guidence, but not 5 all by themselves. 

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Treflis"]My question is why would you give your five year old child anything other then a waterpistol? What reason, which would have to make sense, would you buy a child below at least 14-15 years a firearm? Regardless of caliber.Wasdie

That's a damn good quesiton. 5 years old is way too young for riles. I can see 7-8 under parental guidence, but not 5 all by themselves. 

I agree 5 is too young but even at 7-8, the same rules apply.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Treflis"]My question is why would you give your five year old child anything other then a waterpistol? What reason, which would have to make sense, would you buy a child below at least 14-15 years a firearm? Regardless of caliber.Pirate700

The point is to expose them to responsible firearm usage at an early age so they learn to respect it and properly use it. When doing so though, you are never supposed to walk away while the child is using the gun and certainly not leave it laying out, loaded.

I still think 5 is a bit young. A bit older when they can more easily respect the responsibility that comes with guns and then while the gun is being handled by the kid the parent should be supervising at all times. All other times the ammo and rifle are locked up so that the kids cannot get to them.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]My question is why would you give your five year old child anything other then a waterpistol? What reason, which would have to make sense, would you buy a child below at least 14-15 years a firearm? Regardless of caliber.Wasdie

I still think 5 is a bit young. A bit older when they can more easily respect the responsibility that comes with guns and then while the gun is being handled by the kid the parent should be supervising at all times. All other times the ammo and rifle are locked up so that the kids cannot get to them.

Like I said, I agree, 5 is too young. 8-9 is the earliest, IMO.

JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JustBeYourself
Member since 2012 • 686 Posts
Frankly, anyone who thinks giving a child a real or realish gun is a good idea has mental issues.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
how many gun deaths are accidental per year?
Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chicken453
Member since 2011 • 2038 Posts
Wow, I can't even this thread. How people can condone a 5 year old to have a rifle as a toy is beyond me,. Do you people forget a guns purpose is to harm or kill whether your being respectful, or acknowledge this, it doesn't change the fact that it's purpose is to harm or kill nothing will come out of owning a gun that young.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator

Wow, I can't even this thread. How people can condone a 5 year old to have a rifle as a toy is beyond me,. Do you people forget a guns purpose is to harm or kill whether your being respectful, or acknowledge this, it doesn't change the fact that it's purpose is to harm or kill nothing will come out of owning a gun that young. Chicken453

I don't think anybody here believes a 5 year old should have a gun. I certainly don't and same with Pirate.

A gun isn't a toy. Nobody is saying it is. They need to be treated with the utmost respect at all time, not given to an unsupervised 5 year old.

bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts

smfh. As the campaign for citizen disarmament vamp up, gun owners are shaking in their boots because they are now starting to see how the irresponsibility of a few will jeopardize the rights of the many. I doubt talking about parental responsibility or infringed freedoms will remedy the gun issues. Talk is cheap, it is time for action and I see the politicians using every trick and misfortune at their disposal. We can't sit by doing nothing and claim rights when we/some steadily abuse those rights with stupidity. What affects a few will ultimately affect the all... in due time. These problems have to be address by responsible caring citizens, or the government will do it for us and risks losing a few of our privileges along the way.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Chicken453"]Wow, I can't even this thread. How people can condone a 5 year old to have a rifle as a toy is beyond me,. Do you people forget a guns purpose is to harm or kill whether your being respectful, or acknowledge this, it doesn't change the fact that it's purpose is to harm or kill nothing will come out of owning a gun that young. Wasdie

I don't think anybody here believes a 5 year old should have a gun. I certainly don't and same with Pirate.

A gun isn't a toy. Nobody is saying it is. They need to be treated with the utmost respect at all time, not given to an unsupervised 5 year old.

Exactly. Nobody is saying a kid should have a gun as a toy. The point is, or typically is, to teach the child that guns are NOT toys.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts
what is it with americans and their obsession with guns?!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wasdie  Moderator

what is it with americans and their obsession with guns?!j_assassin

Being a fan of owning, collecting, and operating firearms is something you cannot describe to somebody raised in a culture devoid of all firearms. So yeah, there is no real good answer here to satisfy people who's only exposure to gun culture is Hollywood and the bad news that comes from it.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

A real .22 for a 5 year old is just stupid.  At that age I probably wouldn't get them anything, but at maybe 6 or 7 i would get them a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.  Something to shoot cans and bottles that isn't really deadly.  

Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chicken453

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Chicken453"]Wow, I can't even this thread. How people can condone a 5 year old to have a rifle as a toy is beyond me,. Do you people forget a guns purpose is to harm or kill whether your being respectful, or acknowledge this, it doesn't change the fact that it's purpose is to harm or kill nothing will come out of owning a gun that young. Pirate700

Exactly. Nobody is saying a kid should have a gun as a toy. The point is, or typically is, to teach the child that guns are NOT toys.

Pirate you just stated i the kids was 7 or 8 you'd be ok with this. a 7 or 8 year old is still a child a minor .
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wasdie  Moderator

A real .22 for a 5 year old is just stupid.  At that age I probably wouldn't get them anything, but at maybe 6 or 7 i would get them a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.  Something to shoot cans and bottles that isn't really deadly.  

hoola

You'll shoot your eye out!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

accidents and stupidity happen.  While unfortunate, this is just another case of the media using fear to make people think things are really bad.

I do feel bad for the family, though.  Well, the boy at least.  The parents can't feel bad enough for what they have done in my opinion.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Chicken453"]Wow, I can't even this thread. How people can condone a 5 year old to have a rifle as a toy is beyond me,. Do you people forget a guns purpose is to harm or kill whether your being respectful, or acknowledge this, it doesn't change the fact that it's purpose is to harm or kill nothing will come out of owning a gun that young. Pirate700

what better way to learn than by killing your little sister?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Chicken453

Pirate you just stated i the kids was 7 or 8 you'd be ok with this. a 7 or 8 year old is still a child a minor .

I said 8-9 and what does that have to do with what I said?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wasdie  Moderator

Pirate you just stated i the kids was 7 or 8 you'd be ok with this. a 7 or 8 year old is still a child a minor .Chicken453

So? That doesn't make a gun a toy. A responsible parent who wishes to teach their kids about firearms at an early age buys a gun their kids can use while under their supervision only. This is very common practice to teach kids how to operate and respect firearms. You never leave them alone with the gun and you never keep it unlocked so they can get at it at any time. That's common sense and being responsible.

If you want to give your kid a gun they can shoot others with, Nerf makes a very large array of foam based firearms that are a lot of fun to use. 

Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chicken453

[QUOTE="Chicken453"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Exactly. Nobody is saying a kid should have a gun as a toy. The point is, or typically is, to teach the child that guns are NOT toys.

Pirate700

7, 8 ,9 ,10, 11, 12 That doesn't change the fact they from 7 to 16 you are a minor and 7 to 12 year olds are still seen as children.

On the first page you said " I agree 5 is too young but even at 7-8, the same rules apply." As if to say it's accpetable for a 7 year old to own a gun, or am i reading your reply wrong?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wasdie  Moderator

what better way to learn than by killing your little sister? comp_atkins

Is that what any of us have been implying? 

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

comp_atkins

what better way to learn than by killing your little sister?

Knee jerk much? The point obviously was not to have the brother shoot the sister. That's why they are called accidents.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wasdie  Moderator

7, 8 ,9 ,10, 11, 12 That doesn't chang the fact they from 7 to 16 you are a minor and 7 to 12 year olds are still seen as children. Chicken453

Again, does it matter? 

As long as the kids are supervised it's fine. Just like any child activity at that age.

You don't give a kid a gun at those ages. You let them use one of your own under supervision in a controlled environment. Heck I wouldn't give a gun to a lot of people my age for the same reasons I wouldn't give it to a 5 year old.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Chicken453"] Pirate you just stated i the kids was 7 or 8 you'd be ok with this. a 7 or 8 year old is still a child a minor .Chicken453

7, 8 ,9 ,10, 11, 12 That doesn't chang the fact they from 7 to 16 you are a minor and 7 to 12 year olds are still seen as children.

Again, what does that have to do with what I said? Being a child doesn't mean you shouldn't be  learning responsible gun ownership under the tight supervision of the parent.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Little .22s have been given to kids for decades so the kids and learn to properly handle firearms. Accidents like this happen from time to time when the parent is irresponsible enough to give a kid the gun without keeping the ammo and gun separated and locked up except when out shooting.

Also this goes to show the caliber and type of gun is irrelevant.

Accidents like this happen from time to time just like any other gun related accident. It's sad and shouldn't happen, but it does.

Also what would you expect a .22 rilfe to shoot? Paintballs? BBs? 

My question is, why was the gun out and loaded? That's irresponsible.

Wasdie
Yeah I've heard of similar accidents happening with Air rifles too. Like you said, why would you leave your children around something like this unsupervised for even a second?
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
stupid parents.
ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

Pirate700

couldnt agree more. that was one of the first things my dad did once i discovered he had a gun in the house. although i was never dumb enough to grab it because i knew my dad would whip me. which brings up another point that parents these days are soft on kids. If kids of this generation got beat a few times they would not be doing things like this and look all these anti bully campaigns we have now(ok getting off topic)... i now own a gun that has a lock on the trigger and is locked in a case at all times.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#36 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't buy a gun for a kid until they were 18.

There's probably less of a chance they'd be stupid with it.

Maybe.

Well, probably not.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Pirate's pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Some people just have to learn the hard way. No kid should own their own gun. No kid should have access to their parent's guns. I have no issue with a parent showing an adolescent how to properly use a gun but to buy one as a gift for a 4 year old.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
accidents happen,big deal. where is the TS from to be so butthurt over America?
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Parents fault, should have locked up the ammo but..... As of latley been kind of sick of gun deaths.

I would not mind if they had strickter laws against guns. Funny how a 5 year old is allowed to have a gun. WTF who ever made it ok for a 5 year old to use a deadly weapon?

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I guess that's not meant for someone who's 5.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

That is 100% the parents fault for letting the kid go unsupervised with a loaded firearm. .22 rifles are capable of killing grown adults and deer as well so that is crazy.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
At 5 years old I feel he shouldn't quite have graduated from Nerf yet...
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Pirate700
Yep.. I couldn't a agree more.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

of course 4 year olds need guns to defend themselves.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

if only the 2 year old was armed...

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -Renegade

Frankly, anyone who thinks giving a child a real or realish gun is a good idea has mental issues. JustBeYourself

i dont know if they have mental issues but clearly they are not to smart.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -Renegade

[QUOTE="Chicken453"] Pirate you just stated i the kids was 7 or 8 you'd be ok with this. a 7 or 8 year old is still a child a minor .Wasdie

So? That doesn't make a gun a toy. A responsible parent who wishes to teach their kids about firearms at an early age buys a gun their kids can use while under their supervision only. This is very common practice to teach kids how to operate and respect firearms. You never leave them alone with the gun and you never keep it unlocked so they can get at it at any time. That's common sense and being responsible.

If you want to give your kid a gun they can shoot others with, Nerf makes a very large array of foam based firearms that are a lot of fun to use. 

its dumb though. there are powerful enough pellet rifles that will kill small animals that could also teach them the same. there is no reason a minor any near this age should own a gun.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Pirate700

Pirate, you are so right on with this.  It's the parents who are responsible for most of the social problems we have today.  Raise your damn kids right so we don't have to suffer your bad parenting once they are adults.  Good parents generally raise good kids and the asshat parents should be responsible for their little spawns of Satan.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

[QUOTE="Treflis"]My question is why would you give your five year old child anything other then a waterpistol? What reason, which would have to make sense, would you buy a child below at least 14-15 years a firearm? Regardless of caliber.Pirate700

My son is 5 and I talk to him about safety and risks about firearms all the time and each time I handle one. But I wouldn't give my kids even a bb gun until they were 13 maybe 14 WITH my supervision. Let alone a. 22 rifle. But I agree with your previous post about holding adults accountable in many ways.