America: #1 In Fear, Stress, Anger, Divorce, Obesity, Anti-Depressants, Etc.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

It isnt just our economy that is falling apart the very fabric of society is starting to come apart at the seams and it is because of what is happening to us on the inside. 

The facts and statistics that I am going to share with you in this article are quite startling. They are clear evidence that America is a nation that is an advanced state of decline. 

We are overwhelmed by fear, stress and anxiety, and much of the time the ways that we choose to deal with those emotions lead to some very self-destructive behaviors. 

Americans have experienced a standard of living far beyond the wildest dreams of most societies throughout human history, and yet we are an absolutely miserable people. Why is this? Why is America #1 in so many negative categories? Why are we constantly looking for ways to escape the pain of our own lives? Why are our families falling apart? There is vast material wealth all around us. So why cant we be happy?

Just look around you. Are most of the people around you teeming with happiness and joy? Sadly, the truth is that most Americans are terribly stressed out. Yeah, many of them may be able to manage to come up with a smile when they greet you, but most of the time they are consumed by internal struggles that are eating away at them like cancer.

So why is this happening? Is modern life structured in a way that is fundamentally unhealthy?

Below I have posted a short excerpt from a message that one of Charles Hugh Smiths readers named Kenneth Daigle recently sent to him. I think that it does a good job of describing the incredible stress that many people contend with on a daily basis

Think about how our culture is now structured for the average adult: STRESS, everywhere you lookcommuting in horrible traffic, as you want to scream in frustrationmoney stress, to pay rent/house note, tuition, utilities, gas, insurances, vacations, cable bill, rising food costs, and on and on and onstress from family problems, divorce, delinquency, drugs, crime, infidelity, keeping up with the Jones, etc.

People have too high an expectation of what they should have out of life, and get overly stressed over it all. How does all of this manifest itself? A prescription drug culture (Zoloft, Xanax, etc.) that tricks people into thinking a pill will knock back the stress, when these drugs, in my opinion, only make things worse.

I am hearing more and more that people just want to drop out from it all, as they are reaching a breaking point, and have decided less income and dependency on entitlements will reduce their stress, and is not so humiliating, so giving up working becomes more acceptable, to KEEP ONES SANITY.

I know I am correct, from the feedback I hear every day, and the financial media does not see this like I hear it every day. People dont want to admit that they are too weak to deal with stress, so the financial pundits are not aware of this critical factor because they dont talk to Joe Sixpack.

-Jobs are modern-day slavery. We are paid just enough to live and not more. You are punished if you ask for more.

-We are often verbally abused on the job and we take it because we think its normal that people would yell at us.

-The government gets up to 50% of your paycheck and then 10-20% of that goes to kill people on other parts of the planet, including our own children.

-From 7am to 7pm you are either A) going to work, B) at work, or C) coming back from work. Hence, the times when you can be most creative are garbage-compacted into your cubicle.

-When you are paranoid at a job, you are probably correct. THEY are, in fact, talking about you and backstabbing you right now.

-You realize that all the dollars you spent on degrees to get you a job that will make you happy were completely wasted. You were scammed but you cant let the next generation know how stupid you were so now you become part of perpetuating the scam.

-Your spouse is tired of hearing about your job after six months. And you couldnt care less about hers. Ten years later you wake up next to a total stranger. 40 years later you die next to one.

-When you were a kid you liked to draw, and read, and run, and laugh, and play, and imagine a magical world. Youre never going to do any of that again.

-Over time everyone is getting fired and being replaced by younger, cheaper, more temporary, more robotic, versions of you. You see this but are afraid to do anything about it.

http://intellihub.com/2013/04/23/america-1-in-fear-stress-anger-divorce-obesity-anti-depressants-etc/

its just crazy to me about how much truth is in that last part, and that's pretty much how all companies work.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

No way am I reading that on a lazy afternoon Sunday, someone wanna tl:dr?

Mink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mink
Member since 2005 • 1794 Posts

GTR12
What's that?
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

We're #1! We're #1!

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Okay.

-Goes back to playing Neverwinter-

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

GTR12
It is doomsday-Orwellian speak, nothing more or nothing less.
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

mlfw1012_46183_-_animated_did_not_read_l..

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

USA is not #1 in obesity.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheWalkingGhost

call_of_duty_10

Who is? 

Oh and BTW, yes it is. Just not by a large amount.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#10 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I think I'd be more stressed out if I was in Somalia.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Basically stuff in America already is/is gradually going down the drain.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lo_Pine
Basically stuff in America already is/is gradually going down the drain.hydralisk86
Except that America produces twice as much as the second most productive country in the world.
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

TheWalkingGhost
Who is?

Kosrae.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
Rush Limbaugh has millions of listeners everyday, he is the king of putting fear into people. The media primary focuses on things that bring out anger/fear so cant say I would be shocked with either of those
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Okay.

-Goes back to playing Neverwinter-

airshocker

Don't you worry that your fellow officers may be talking about how much time you spend playing Neverwinter?

:|

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I guess it's hard for some people to be happy in a country that is falling apart right in front of their eyes.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lo_Pine

I guess it's hard for some people to be happy in a country that is falling apart right in front of their eyes.

coasterguy65
How is it falling apart, what data do you base that on and which country are you comparing the USA to?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Well I'm not, so I don't care.

I make good decisions. I can't force others to make them as well.

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
I think I'll take this place over a third world country....
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lo_Pine
I think I'll take this place over a third world country....Solid_Snake325
Everyone in Europe would too but since the USA carries Europe they like to put down America because it let China catch up to it. Therefore, putting China ahead of Europe.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Just the logical evolution of a society based on individualism, competition, consumption and production. Putting all that stuff above humans and well being does that to you. The sad part is that they try to export that model everywhere as the way things should be. We have to start thinking of alternatives that put humans and nature as priorities not in having more money and things than your neighbor.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

I think I'll take this place over a third world country....Solid_Snake325

life might be simpler there.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Tbh, that article is way too academic for OT:P.  I'm gonna go deal with my depression by looking at some image macros with big text.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

When you are paranoid at a job, you are probably correct. THEY are, in fact, talking about you and backstabbing you right now.

CitedArticle

Believe it.

Most (if not all) US employers use performance review procedures that rank employees by dispensibility and then "fit the performance review score to a curve".

For this reason, a US employee can arrive at work on time and perform all his duties flawlessly every day, but still receive a review score that identifies him as an "underperformer", just because each colleague is doing a slightly better job of impressing his manager.

Inevitably, this leads to a culture of competition among people who are supposed to be cooperating towards the same goal. Every day on the job becomes a struggle for the employee to prove that he's less dispensible than his colleagues. Bad-mouthing of colleagues, undermining or sabotaging colleagues' work and even deliberately stealing credit for colleagues' work become standard practice.

And employers love it: Rats on a treadmill will run faster if they know that the slowest of them will be "terminated".

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kuraimen

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]I think I'll take this place over a third world country....-Renegade

Well we have lots of Americans retiring here to Costa Rica and we were put as the happiest country in the world in one of those lists. But I still think that we are pretty bad since we follow the same US model since the 80s and since then our economy has grown but our well-being has greatly finished. Social institutions are collapsing in favor of private ones, crime and the gap between rich and poor increased. All that after neoliberalism was brought here as the path towards development and enlightenment. But the only thing it managed to enlighten was the pockets of a minority.
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Just be like Scandanavia.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheWalkingGhost

Tbh, that article is way too academic for OT:P.  I'm gonna go deal with my depression by looking at some image macros with big text.

TacticalDesire
The second part is a load of crap and can easily apply to other nations as well. I do love Americas growing hatred of getting an education. Harvard is a total scam!
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Just the logical evolution of a society based on individualism, competition, consumption and production. Putting all that stuff above humans and well being does that to you. The sad part is that they try to export that model everywhere as the way things should be. We have to start thinking of alternatives that put humans and nature as priorities not in having more money and things than your neighbor.TheWalkingGhost
Great, look what you did TC! Threads like this are like a light to a moth for America hating trolls.

It's unbelievable how some us citizens take any criticism as America hate. I think it's the population is suffering from a bad case of persecution complex when even criticism that is done to seek solutions is marked as anti American. I guess they rather live in denial until all goes to hell.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

TheWalkingGhost

The second part is a load of crap and can easily apply to other nations as well. I do love Americas growing hatred of getting an education. Harvard is a total scam!

I don't know that America really hates education.  A lot of people seem to look at the sticker prices of college and assume that that's what you pay to really go there though, and that is not the case for many.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

TacticalDesire

I don't know that America really hates education.  A lot of people seem to look at the sticker prices of college and assume that that's what you pay to really go there though, and that is not the case for many.

It really seems this nation has a growing hatred of education, why else call it a scam and portray it as useless? They don't value it as much as they used to.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] The second part is a load of crap and can easily apply to other nations as well. I do love Americas growing hatred of getting an education. Harvard is a total scam! TheWalkingGhost

It really seems this nation has a growing hatred of education, why else call it a scam and portray it as useless? They don't value it as much as they used to.

@TheWalkingGhost, the only state in the USA that remotely applies to your previous post is Texas. And Texas hardly represents America. Texas is run by oil and meat men who brainwash their state population.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

lo_Pine

@TheWalkingGhost, the only state in the USA that remotely applies to your previous post is Texas. And Texas hardly represents America. Texas is run by oil and meat men who brainwash their state population.

I'm happy I live in one of the most well educated and best funded areas of the US.  Took one look at a texas science book once...never again

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TacticalDesire

lo_Pine

Well, I wouldn't say Texas as a whole is like that at all.  It's mostly the rural areas.  Austin is a very progressive city likely because of the University of Texas, and in Houston there is Rice University, without a doubt one of the best schools in the country.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] The second part is a load of crap and can easily apply to other nations as well. I do love Americas growing hatred of getting an education. Harvard is a total scam! TheWalkingGhost

I do get what you're saying, and there is a certain portion of the country that does seem to feel that way.  And when they do speak of education they only speak of it in monetary terms like: go to college to get a degree that is marketable and pays x amount of dollars, rather than learning for the sake of learning.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] It really seems this nation has a growing hatred of education, why else call it a scam and portray it as useless? They don't value it as much as they used to.TacticalDesire

Well, I wouldn't say Texas as a whole is like that at all.  It's mostly the rural areas.  Austin is a very progressive city likely because of the University of Texas, and in Houston there is Rice University, without a doubt one of the best schools in the country.

Mhm, austin is awesome.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

This sounds mostly like bullshit

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]I think I'll take this place over a third world country....-Renegade

and a whole lot shttier

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

I believe it.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I can understand why.  If I didn't have a family to teach me how I can make myself happy, then I would probably be depressed and stressed and all that.  Our public schools certainly don't help.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

when you have the most you have the most to lose.

not surprising it would cause anxiety.

anyway it's cool.

i am self employed, play with dogs all day for  money and lead an amazingly stress free life.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] @TheWalkingGhost, the only state in the USA that remotely applies to your previous post is Texas. And Texas hardly represents America. Texas is run by oil and meat men who brainwash their state population.wis3boi

Mhm, austin is awesome.

Dallas > Austin
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Don't you worry that your fellow officers may be talking about how much time you spend playing Neverwinter?

:|

Stesilaus

Some people gamble all of their money away after they get paid. Some people spend their money on booze and lap dances.

I save my money, play MMORPGs, and spend time with my family.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts
Just the logical evolution of a society based on individualism, competition, consumption and production. Putting all that stuff above humans and well being does that to you. The sad part is that they try to export that model everywhere as the way things should be. We have to start thinking of alternatives that put humans and nature as priorities not in having more money and things than your neighbor.kuraimen
Best reply by far in this thread.I'll never get this mentality of wanting to have more than others. As long as I have everything I need to live peacefully I don't care if someone has a car that is worth more than my house.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Just the logical evolution of a society based on individualism, competition, consumption and production. Putting all that stuff above humans and well being does that to you. The sad part is that they try to export that model everywhere as the way things should be. We have to start thinking of alternatives that put humans and nature as priorities not in having more money and things than your neighbor.da_illest101
Best reply by far in this thread.I'll never get this mentality of wanting to have more than others. As long as I have everything I need to live peacefully I don't care if someone has a car that is worth more than my house.

True... But you need money to live, dude. No matter how much you don't care you still have to sit at the table like everybody else and play with the cards you are dealt. On that basis a lot of people don't have everything they need to live peacefully. A lot of people don't have anything they need to live peacefully and it is because of where we live and what is socially acceptable.

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

I believe you have forgot about two of the most important ones: Teen pregnancy and incarceration rate 

Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

Ever seen the move my dinner with aundre we made our own prison but the bars are invisible we have a feeling that we need to escape but where too the entire world is going in the same direction.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
There is an easy fix for most if not all of this. Move to the country and away from the city. This way, even if you have an idiot living next door, it is five miles down the road.