Am I too old to join the Marines?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MrGeezer (55939 posts) -

Don't know why, but for some reason I've recently been getting a lot of promotional junk mail from the Marines. Just seems sort of weird, because I'm 30 years old.

Am I really still young enough to join the Marines? Exactly what is the cut-off age? Because 30 is honestly sort of old for the Marines to be trying to get me to join. Are they really that desperate for new recruits, or do they simply not realize how old I am?

#2 Posted by October_Tide (5396 posts) -

Don't know why, but for some reason I've recently been getting a lot of promotional junk mail from the Marines. Just seems sort of weird, because I'm 30 years old.

Am I really still young enough to join the Marines? Exactly what is the cut-off age? Because 30 is honestly sort of old for the Marines to be trying to get me to join. Are they really that desperate for new recruits, or do they simply not realize how old I am?

MrGeezer

If you are fit, your age isn't going to slow you down, not at 30.

#3 Posted by jiggaloj (4345 posts) -

I'm sure you're able to get in MrGeezer! :P

#4 Posted by Snipes_2 (17126 posts) -

You should still be able to get in.

#5 Posted by commandercrap (318 posts) -

Age cap in the Army is 42, so the USMC shouldn't be too far off that mark.

#6 Posted by yonaswii08 (796 posts) -
Wow you are old...
#7 Posted by jrnhanie0310 (15177 posts) -

yes you are eligible to join. i believe the cut-off is at 40

#8 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4302 posts) -

I think 28 or 29 is the cut-off. But you can still get in the army!

#9 Posted by Omzzz (1440 posts) -
Wow you are old...yonaswii08
and you're gonna be forever young right...
#10 Posted by gamedude2020 (3795 posts) -

As long as you have a good level of fitness you will be absolutely fine. You will have an advantage over the younger recruits in training, as you will have more life experience and will be able to cope better. I've been in recruit training in the british army and the young guys like me, were always the first to mess up.

#11 Posted by MrGeezer (55939 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

October_Tide

Yeah, I know, but whether or not I'm fit doesn't necessarily have to do with age limits. I was more interested in the official age limits vs whether or not I'd be ABLE to make it in the Marines.

#12 Posted by gamedude2020 (3795 posts) -

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

Yeah, I know, but whether or not I'm fit doesn't necessarily have to do with age limits. I was more interested in the official age limits vs whether or not I'd be ABLE to make it in the Marines.

simple google search, its 32 and 38(with previous experience) and 29 as an officer.

#13 Posted by MrGeezer (55939 posts) -

yes you are eligible to join. i believe the cut-off is at 40

jrnhanie0310

Wow, I didn't realize that the cut-off age was so high.

Still, it's really sort of weird how I just started getting so much promotional material from the Marines lately. I thought they mostly just didthis aggressive recruiting and advertising towards guys in the late teens or early 20s.

And furthermore, it's sort of weird that I'm not getting similar promotional junk mail from the Air Force, the Army, the Navy, or any other branch of the military. Just the Marines. Don't know why. Last time I got this kind of mail on a regular basis was at least 10 years ago, and then ALL the branches of the military were trying to get me to join. So why the Marines (and ONLY the Marines) suddenly tried to get me to join at the age of 30...beats the hell out of me.

#14 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4302 posts) -

Dunno how reliable you consider Yahoo! Answers to be, but this link seems pretty accurate. LINK

#15 Posted by Drakes_Fortune (5259 posts) -

The age limit here is 24 or 30 for people on college.

#16 Posted by MrGeezer (55939 posts) -

Dunno how reliable you consider Yahoo! Answers to be, but this link seems pretty accurate. LINK

DEVILinIRON

Yeah, but I have NEVER been enlisted in any branch of the military.

It makes sense that the cutoff age is higher if you're already actively enlisted in military or previously served or are in the reserves. But I have NEVER been involved in military in any kind of capacity whatsoever.

#17 Posted by Wasdie (49326 posts) -

As long as you are in physical shape, 30 is fine.

#18 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

The cut-off age to join the USMC is 29. However, there are waivers that you can apply for to still join, up until age 33.

#19 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

Active duty is 28, and reserves is 29.

The army lets you come in at much later ages though.

#20 Posted by poptart (6813 posts) -

Marines? You should thinking more about buying a tweed jacket and taking up croquet.

#21 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4302 posts) -

[QUOTE="DEVILinIRON"]

MrGeezer

Yeah, but I have NEVER been enlisted in any branch of the military.

It makes sense that the cutoff age is higher if you're already actively enlisted in military or previously served or are in the reserves. But I have NEVER been involved in military in any kind of capacity whatsoever.

Right. So for someone with no experience I'm pretty sure the cut-off is at 28 or 29. I'm 30 and have made inquiries about this in the past. So...

#22 Posted by MrGeezer (55939 posts) -

Okay...I'm getting a lot of different answers on exactly what the cutoff age is, but most people still seem to be in general agreement on me being young enough to join.

So...2nd question. Do the Marines pay for college? Anyway, the thought of joining the military always seemed a bit ****ed up to me, but I've known quite a few people who were in the Marines. And except for the ones who got kicked out for being dumbasses, most of them seem to be pretty disciplined and seem to generally have their **** in order. Yeah, they said that being in the Marines totally sucks and they hated every second of it. But honestly...in many cases it seems to have actually done them some good. Do the Marines help pay for college? Because I'm sort of broke right now, and need money.

Also a 3rd question...should I even consider joining? I mean, I never even considered joining the Marines before. But since that window of eligibility is getting close to being closed, isn't it worth considering one last time before I reject that idea? It's like...really soon, or never. So should I even consider joining the Marines, even if I'm not giving it serious consideration?

#23 Posted by MrGeezer (55939 posts) -

The cut-off age to join the USMC is 29. However, there are waivers that you can apply for to still join, up until age 33.

Hallenbeck77

In that case, why did the Marines suddenly start sending me recruiting junk mail, if I just became too old to enlist?

#24 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

MrGeezer

In that case, why did the Marines suddenly start sending me recruiting junk mail, if I just became too old to enlist?

You can still fill out a waiver that will lift the age limit for you. Unless there is some significant situation, there shouldn't be a problem. And if you do join, they will help pay for college.
#25 Posted by MrGeezer (55939 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Hallenbeck77

You can still fill out a waiver that will lift the age limit for you. Unless there is some significant situation, there shouldn't be a problem. And if you do join, they will help pay for college.

Oh...I saw your comment about a special waiver, I just assumed that this waiver required specific and difficult requirements to even be eligible.

#26 Posted by AdamantArmor (35 posts) -

At this point, the military is ready to start drafting puppies. They'll take anyone they can get.

#27 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

At this point, the military is ready to start drafting puppies. They'll take anyone they can get.

AdamantArmor

Not really. More people are joining the military now due to the economy.

#28 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

I say just give a recruiter a call. There's no harm in talking to him, and he'll give all of the information you need, and you could get up to 100 percent of your college paid for you.

Just remember...once you get all of the info, think long and hard about what your decision will be. There's a very good chance you can be deployed to a area of conflict, and for some people, the reality of what they've done won't hit them until it's too late for them to back out. Talk to people who served and see what they got out of joining. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.

#29 Posted by Drakes_Fortune (5259 posts) -

Okay...I'm getting a lot of different answers on exactly what the cutoff age is, but most people still seem to be in general agreement on me being young enough to join.

So...2nd question. Do the Marines pay for college? Anyway, the thought of joining the military always seemed a bit ****ed up to me, but I've known quite a few people who were in the Marines. And except for the ones who got kicked out for being dumbasses, most of them seem to be pretty disciplined and seem to generally have their **** in order. Yeah, they said that being in the Marines totally sucks and they hated every second of it. But honestly...in many cases it seems to have actually done them some good. Do the Marines help pay for college? Because I'm sort of broke right now, and need money.

Also a 3rd question...should I even consider joining? I mean, I never even considered joining the Marines before. But since that window of eligibility is getting close to being closed, isn't it worth considering one last time before I reject that idea? It's like...really soon, or never. So should I even consider joining the Marines, even if I'm not giving it serious consideration?

MrGeezer

Do you gotta go exactly to the Marines? Marines aint easy, you gotta be in very good shape and you really need to have the motivation to enter. You dont seem to have it. I say you pick something else in the Navy/Army/Air Force first. Do the recruit and a year of voluntary contract. You wil get an idea of how things work out and if that is the right place for you. If you like it, you can move to the Marines then. If you dont like it, well you really dont have anything to lose, you will still get paid during that year.

#30 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4302 posts) -

I say just give a recruiter a call. There's no harm in talking to him, and he'll give all of the information you need, and you could get up to 100 percent of your college paid for you.

Just remember...once you get all of the info, think long and hard about what your decision will be. There's a very good chance you can be deployed to a area of conflict, and for some people, the reality of what they've done won't hit them until it's too late for them to back out. Talk to people who served and see what they got out of joining. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.

Hallenbeck77
One could also talk to a recruiter via chat on the official website as well.
#31 Posted by jrhawk42 (12764 posts) -

of the top of my head I was thinking it was 35, but that's probably wrong. Recruiter would know for sure. GI bill pays for tuition, but I don't know if it pays for anything else. Still tuition is going to pretty much be your major cost.

Also any reason you're just looking at the Marines? If I was serious I'd be looking at what each branch had to offer me.

#32 Posted by AceMarine45 (570 posts) -

I know this is a year old post. But hopefully it can still help.

First off i am not a marine. I was in a marine corps sponseredmilitary school. I know alot of marines, and have plans to join the marine corps myselft. I will give u the advice i have been given fromactive duty privates tooretired lieutenant colonalswhowere members of the medical review board. This is not advice given too you from me, it is infact from other marines.

First of all, when u join the marine corps, they will make you a fit marine. Even if you do not have the modivation, they will force the modivation down your throat, liturally. When you sign those papers, u are considered United States Marine Corps property. Does that mean u can fail training? Yes, u can fail training, and they will set you back to another company who has not yet recieved the training u failed. They will continue to do this until u pass.

Second, the cutoff age for the marine corps is 28 active duty, 29 reserves. Dont let anyone tell u otherwise. You can request a waiver. However, when u do so, you are asking other marine officers to take a chance on you. If u fail any kind of training at all, their credibility goes down. If u get a waiver, all eyes will be on you. I have a medical condition which is controled by medication and is not a disqualifier to the marine corps, but i do have to get a waiver first. So i am currently running in the marine corps marathon to prove im fit, and i have 5 recommondations from marines and my doctor saying I can make it in the marine corps. I am also taking college classes to prove i am well educated. If you truely want to join the marine corps, u have to first show them the marine corps is your life, dedication is key.

Once again, this is advice given to me from other marines, not from me personally. Do with it as you will.

#33 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

There's really no need to bump a topic that's nearly a year and a half old.