Almost-good movies that blew it at the end (obviously some spoilers).

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts

The Abyss

It starts off as one of James Cameron's best movies, but it jumps the shark pretty badly towards the end. I guess they just ran out of money. The alien ship looks like a bad theme park ride.

bigfoot2045
THIS! I love everything in that movie up until the CPR scene, after that it's nearly unwatchable. I feel like you could cut the aliens out of the movie and also change the plot to focus on some sort of Russian/USA nuclear crisis.
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

Green Lantern.Oh wait, that sucked nuts in the first place.

I can't think of any right now.

xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 xLFTMx
Member since 2010 • 987 Posts

The Dark Knight, there was absolutely zero reason that Batman had to take the blame for Twoface's crimes, you could literally blame any criminal you wanted to, you could even make someone up, anything would be better than blaming the main hero and making his job a million times harder

the9thinning

The police knew Batman was in the building with Dent. It would have made no sense to blame anyone else.

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

Law Abiding Citizen - for once I was hoping for a decent non-hollywood ending, but nooooooooooooo, they didnt want that to happen

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#55 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Marley and Me.Stupid ending...

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
I was thinking Sunshine too
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 themajormayor

Pandorum could have been a good Event Horizon type film if they hadn't added the monsters at the end. Could have been a really good space/psychological film. Same with Sunshine.Big_Bad_Sad

Wat

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

Michael0134567

Marley and Me was based on a true story, so the ending is what it is I guess.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#59 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

bigfoot2045

Marley and Me was based on a true story, so the ending is what it is I guess.

Don't worry, I was just kidding.
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 bigfoot2045

[QUOTE="Big_Bad_Sad"]Pandorum could have been a good Event Horizon type film if they hadn't added the monsters at the end. Could have been a really good space/psychological film. Same with Sunshine.themajormayor

Wat

Event Horizon was awesome. It was a great retelling of the Hellraiser story in space. In fact, I thought it was quite a bit better than Hellraiser. It was also clearly a huge inspiration of the Dead Space games. The movie was panned in its day, but it has gone on to become a cult film.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="Big_Bad_Sad"]Pandorum could have been a good Event Horizon type film if they hadn't added the monsters at the end. Could have been a really good space/psychological film. Same with Sunshine.bigfoot2045

Wat

Event Horizon was awesome. It was a great retelling of the Hellraiser story in space. In fact, I thought it was quite a bit better than Hellraiser. It was also clearly a huge inspiration of the Dead Space games. The movie was panned in its day, but it has gone on to become a cult film.

It's a crap film. Just like Hellraiser for that matter. Only redeeming factor is Lawrence Fishburn.
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 bigfoot2045

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Wat

themajormayor

It's a crap film. Just like Hellraiser for that matter. Only redeeming factor is Lawrence Fishburn.

How so? The special effects were amazing for the time, and hold up well even today. It was actually scary. And Sam Neill gave a great performance. Event Horizon is seriously underrated. It's one of the best horror films ever made IMO.

AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 AlbedoSnake
Member since 2003 • 10386 Posts

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]Wait, at what point in that movie was anything making sense.Aljosa23

It made more sense than Death Note that's for sure.

You didn't think the Death Note movies made sense? I thought they made perfect sense. In fact, the second one is one of my favorite movies, even though it had to deviate from the manga. Anyway, you guys nailed it early. I Am Legend and Hancock are both movies that just decided to start sucking totally out of nowhere. More recently, I'd give the nod to Prometheus. The movie had so much potential and built up so many potentially interesting plot threads and went absolutely nowhere with any of it. Michael Fassbender can't save everything, I suppose.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

bigfoot2045

How so? The special effects were amazing for the time, and hold up well even today. It was actually scary. And Sam Neill gave a great performance. Event Horizon is seriously underrated. It's one of the best horror films ever made IMO.

Sure the special effects are nice. But being one of the bests horror films ever doesn't say much considering there pretty much are no good ones.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 bigfoot2045

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"] It's a crap film. Just like Hellraiser for that matter. Only redeeming factor is Lawrence Fishburn. themajormayor

Sure the special effects are nice. But being one of the bests horror films ever doesn't say much considering there pretty much are no good ones.

The Shining? Rosemary's Baby? Alien? Lots of good horror movies. I just take it you've never seen them.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

bigfoot2045

The Shining? Rosemary's Baby? Alien? Lots of good horror movies. I just take it you've never seen them.

The Shining was meh. Alien was ok but not because of the horror elements really. It was the solid script and actors

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#67 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Cowboy Bebop The Movie.
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 bigfoot2045

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

themajormayor

The Shining was meh. Alien was ok but not because of the horror elements really. It was the solid script and actors

If you don't like The Shining, then you clearly don't like the horror genre at all. That concludes this discussion.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

bigfoot2045

If you don't like The Shining, then you clearly don't like the horror genre at all. That concludes this discussion.

Wasn't that clear when I said "But being one of the bests horror films ever doesn't say much considering there pretty much are no good ones"?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Return of the King.

DharmaMember77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DharmaMember77
Member since 2010 • 2377 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

bigfoot2045

Most people hated The Shining when it first came out.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I didn't even hear about I Am Legend's alternative ending until recently tbh. I just went out of the movie theater and never gave the film a second thought, but man if the other ending had happened I think the movie would have left me with at least some sort of impression.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Return of the King.

-Sun_Tzu-

You are a dumbfvck if you agree with that idiot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

themajormayor

Alien was ok but not because of the horror elements really

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

This is why your opinions suck.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

Return of the King.

Aljosa23

You are a dumbfvck if you agree with that idiot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkwmcoK5bQ1qgj47l.jpg[/img]-Sun_Tzu-
Return of the King's ending was perfect, hombre.

If you want to fault it for something, mention the deus ex machina ghost army.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 -Sun_Tzu-
Return of the King's ending was perfect, hombre.

If you want to fault it for something, mention the deus ex machina ghost army.

Aljosa23
It was just 3 hours of walking broham
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" ~Darth Vader
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Schindler's list. The entire film was brilliant until the ultra cheesy ending.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
The Abyss, I was only a kid when my family rented it, but felt pissed off at the ending. Great movie for the first 2/3rds though Didn't read the whole thread before posting, but I agree with Bigfoot in this one.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

DharmaMember77

Most people hated The Shining when it first came out.

It's not 1980.
dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

The ending to Prometheus was kinda silly imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
Nicholas Cage's movie Knowing comes to mind.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
Nicholas Cage's movie Knowing comes to mind.
Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts
Went through five pages looking for the film I wanted to mention and the last post contains it. Wow. Anyways, Knowing with Nicholas Cage, for sure. It's the movie about the guy who finds a list with numbers on it, and realizes that they're a list of dates where disasters will happen. It's an interesting premise, and I was shocked at how well they carried it through the majority of the movie. He witnesses some of the disasters, such as an epic plane crash scene. It's building up to the huge twist, AND... [spoiler] Aliens. Or...angels. Or alien angels. Whatever. An alien ship comes to Earth, takes Cage's six-year-old son and his little girl friend, and then leave the planet. We see Cage go back to his parents' house to be with them as the world literally ends on-camera (actually a sweet scene) and then we see the two kids who were taken playing together on a beautiful planet filled with flowers and bunnies. It's probably some big message about the apocalypse or about how Earth is a horrible planet and needs to be replaced. But you know, it's not like they ever mention that in any sort of way, shape, or form. [/spoiler]
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Event Horizon was awesome. It was a great retelling of the Hellraiser story in space. In fact, I thought it was quite a bit better than Hellraiser. It was also clearly a huge inspiration of the Dead Space games. The movie was panned in its day, but it has gone on to become a cult film.bigfoot2045

I watched it for the first time recently and thought it was hilariously awful. Not even in the sense that the effects are dated. The characters are all clichés and the movie relies almost entirely on jump scares (even when nothing particularly scary should be happening) and the belief that speaking Latin is somehow scary. The writing is terrible too.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
Pandorum could have been a good Event Horizon type film if they hadn't added the monsters at the end. Could have been a really good space/psychological film. Same with Sunshine.Big_Bad_Sad
i still was a good psychological space film,what makes you think that the presence of some monsters necessarily avoid the movie from being psychological? i don't understand why do ppl think that thoughtful films can't have any action elements.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

No country for old men

animorphsfan

I'd have to agree with this. Having Moss killed by the drug-runners who were completely absent from the film up to that point only to be used to kill off the main character, which essentially invalidated and made meaningless the relationship and cat and mouse game between him and Chigurch (sp?). I loved the movie up until that point, then it went all downhill after he got waxed.

I was also disappointed with Inception's ending. It started out with a very unique and original concept, but at the end deteriorated into a generic action flick with guns and huge explosions. It was like the writers ran out of ideas. They were in dreams, they could've done anything. But no, we get a cheesy blast-o-thon on a snowy mountaintop. Awesome.

Chevolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Chevolutionary
Member since 2004 • 23293 Posts
In terms of recent films, London Boulevard comes to mind.
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

Uncharted 3. Where was Jason Statham and his broken legs? And that boss fight was just horrible

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

American History X is the one I remember now.

It wasnt bad per se, it was...

[spoiler] ...just a bit sad seeing the kid get killed after the main character came around. [/spoiler]

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]Event Horizon was awesome. It was a great retelling of the Hellraiser story in space. In fact, I thought it was quite a bit better than Hellraiser. It was also clearly a huge inspiration of the Dead Space games. The movie was panned in its day, but it has gone on to become a cult film.Pffrbt

I watched it for the first time recently and thought it was hilariously awful. Not even in the sense that the effects are dated. The characters are all clichés and the movie relies almost entirely on jump scares (even when nothing particularly scary should be happening) and the belief that speaking Latin is somehow scary. The writing is terrible too.

Yeah Event Horizon is a pretty terrible movie. Bought the DVD for cheap a while back on a whim as I had heard it was some great cult film. Movie was an absolute piece of **** that I went and sold not too long after...

Anyways, in terms of good movies with bad endings I would say It is a great example of this. You have hours of great scares with an interesting villain it finishes wth...

[spoiler] a lame ******* transformation into some stupid giant spider where they kill it in the lamest way possible,,, [/spoiler]

Insidious would get a mention here too if I didn't love the VERY end of the movie. After falling off a bit I thought the way the movie finished was pretty awesome!

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#93 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

You talking about when the father starts the astral projection to go find the kid? Or starting sooner than that? I still really like that movie, but that father definitely held it down a bit. Just wasn't a strong performance. I loved the story, and they way most of the tension was built up throughout the beginning and middle, though. But I just really like Leah Whannell. I can't wait for him to make more movies.

firestar571

Thats really where it lost me, but I also asnt a fan of the paranormal team. Felt out of place to me. I agree that build up of tension was fantastic, I just with they had delivered a better ending after having such a solid start.

I loved Insidious, and I actually thought the astral projection scene was great. It was pretty scary and if you think about the work it must've taken to film the whole scene with him walking around in darkness with the lantern (notice how you couldn't see the floor even though he was holding the lantern ^_^). I thought the paranormal team added some much needed humor to the movie, otherwise honestly the movie would be way too depressing, not even in a scary way but just in a downright unpleasent way

Insidious was a terrible movie it was like a crap parody of the Poltergeist. I think Never Let Me Go had a pretty dire third act. In fact the whole film has such a depressing, unpleasant, hopeless premise and just when you think something positive is about to happen it turns for the worse. I don't mind depressing movies if they have a message or is somewhat balanced but Never Let Me Go was just irritating even more so with it's plot holes. Also I liked The Warriors but around half way to 3/4 of the movie I just realized there was not much more to it than just a small gang trying to run back to their own turf really.
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts

[QUOTE="Big_Bad_Sad"]Pandorum could have been a good Event Horizon type film if they hadn't added the monsters at the end. Could have been a really good space/psychological film. Same with Sunshine.themajormayor

Wat

Wat you dont see what I mean, or wat you dont think EH was a good film? BTW Event Horizon is an awesome film.
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

[spoiler] ...just a bit sad seeing the kid get killed after the main character came around. [/spoiler]

Teenaged
don't you ever watch sad movies again.you're too fragile for this stuff. :oops:
eleven1181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 eleven1181
Member since 2010 • 339 Posts
Law Abiding Citizen. Movie was pretty good until it got to the end.-Renegade
Hell yea theres noway if that gerard butler was that clever he would never of messed up like that at the end
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#98 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]Event Horizon was awesome. It was a great retelling of the Hellraiser story in space. In fact, I thought it was quite a bit better than Hellraiser. It was also clearly a huge inspiration of the Dead Space games. The movie was panned in its day, but it has gone on to become a cult film.LostProphetFLCL

Insidious would get a mention here too if I didn't love the VERY end of the movie. After falling off a bit I thought the way the movie finished was pretty awesome!

agreed, i also agree with the people who said it went downhill when the old lady and her people got involved. it was kinda hard to take it seriously after that

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Teenaged
Honestly, that ending took the film to another level for me. It vaulted it from being a very good movie to one of my favorites. It gave the film a very bittersweet ending that carried with it moral questions from a wide range of POV's.

It was a bit sad, I agree, but I think that bitterness left the viewer with a more complex flavor after viewing it than the typical syrupy sweetness of most films that have a purely happy ending.