Almost-good movies that blew it at the end (obviously some spoilers).

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MrGeezer (56020 posts) -
So I just finished watching Splice (aka, The Movie Where Adrien Brody F***s A Monster). I thought it would suck like hell, but surprisingly I found it to be an intelligent and fascinating moral play and character study. It sort of reminded me of Cronenberg's version of The Fly. I was loving the movie, right up until the last 15 minutes or so when it completely switched gears and turned into the standard killer monster movie. Ruined the whole movie for me. And that got me thinking...what are some other movies that you guys really loved (or at least kind of liked) that then blew everything at the end? For me, Sunshine is an obvious choice. Granted, the whole shift happened about midway through the film rather than at the end, but I still think it fits. It started out as an intelligent science fiction film, and then essentially abruptly turned into a Slasher-Movie-In-Space. Killed it for me. Also, I am Legend comes to mind. The movie wasn't that good in the first place, but it had its moments. Then the monsters storm Will Smith's house and the movie completely blows it. It's setting everything up for them to just be coming back to rescue the Kidnapped Monster, but then dumbass Will Smith blows up EVERYONE and the movie makes him out to be the good guy. **** that movie. Any examples you can think of?
#2 Posted by LZ71 (10273 posts) -

I Am Legend. Dear god the ending made me so mad.

Other than that I honestly can't remember a movie that just completely was ruined by the ending. I'm sure I've seen a few, but for the life of me I can't remember.

#3 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

So I just finished watching Splice (aka, The Movie Where Adrien Brody F***s A Monster). I thought it would suck like hell, but surprisingly I found it to be an intelligent and fascinating moral play and character study. It sort of reminded me of Cronenberg's version of The Fly. I was loving the movie, right up until the last 15 minutes or so when it completely switched gears and turned into the standard killer monster movie. Ruined the whole movie for me. And that got me thinking...what are some other movies that you guys really loved (or at least kind of liked) that then blew everything at the end? For me, Sunshine is an obvious choice. Granted, the whole shift happened about midway through the film rather than at the end, but I still think it fits. It started out as an intelligent science fiction film, and then essentially abruptly turned into a Slasher-Movie-In-Space. Killed it for me. Also, I am Legend comes to mind. The movie wasn't that good in the first place, but it had its moments. Then the monsters storm Will Smith's house and the movie completely blows it. It's setting everything up for them to just be coming back to rescue the Kidnapped Monster, but then dumbass Will Smith blows up EVERYONE and the movie makes him out to be the good guy. **** that movie. Any examples you can think of? MrGeezer

It's funny that you mention Will Smith. For me the movie was Hancock. It wasn't so much the end that sucked as much as the last third act.

Along with that I'll add Watchmen. The ending was dumb. It broke the ending of the comic and while it was more realistic, it didn't have a good ending to go along with it. The logic behind it was just wrong.

#4 Posted by fend_oblivion (6113 posts) -

Other than that I honestly can't remember a movie that just completely was ruined by the ending. I'm sure I've seen a few, but for the life of me I can't remember.

LZ71
Luckily there was the alternative ending. You can watch it on YouTube :)
#5 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
Law Abiding Citizen. Movie was pretty good until it got to the end.
#6 Posted by xLFTMx (987 posts) -

Insidius.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the movie. Shocked by the quality of the film....

Then the second half started. Killed the whole damn movie. Hated the way they dealt with the story.

Had such potential.

#7 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Insidius.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the movie. Shocked by the quality of the film....

Then the second half started. Killed the whole damn movie. Hated the way they dealt with the story.

Had such potential.

xLFTMx

You talking about when the father starts the astral projection to go find the kid? Or starting sooner than that? I still really like that movie, but that father definitely held it down a bit. Just wasn't a strong performance. I loved the story, and they way most of the tension was built up throughout the beginning and middle, though. But I just really like Leah Whannell. I can't wait for him to make more movies.

#8 Posted by xLFTMx (987 posts) -

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

Insidius.

Had such potential.

the_bi99man

You talking about when the father starts the astral projection to go find the kid? Or starting sooner than that? I still really like that movie, but that father definitely held it down a bit. Just wasn't a strong performance. I loved the story, and they way most of the tension was built up throughout the beginning and middle, though. But I just really like Leah Whannell. I can't wait for him to make more movies.

Thats really where it lost me, but I also asnt a fan of the paranormal team. Felt out of place to me. I agree that build up of tension was fantastic, I just with they had delivered a better ending after having such a solid start.

#9 Posted by firestar571 (16 posts) -

LZ71
If you read the book, the original ending would have been just as if not more silly. It worked well in the book but (spoilers) a scene with hundreds of CGI intelligent vampires would seem kind of silly in my opinion
#10 Posted by firestar571 (16 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

Insidius.

Had such potential.

xLFTMx

Thats really where it lost me, but I also asnt a fan of the paranormal team. Felt out of place to me. I agree that build up of tension was fantastic, I just with they had delivered a better ending after having such a solid start.

I loved Insidious, and I actually thought the astral projection scene was great. It was pretty scary and if you think about the work it must've taken to film the whole scene with him walking around in darkness with the lantern (notice how you couldn't see the floor even though he was holding the lantern ^_^). I thought the paranormal team added some much needed humor to the movie, otherwise honestly the movie would be way too depressing, not even in a scary way but just in a downright unpleasent way
#11 Posted by firestar571 (16 posts) -
Law Abiding Citizen. Movie was pretty good until it got to the end.-Renegade
Everyone seems to hate the ending to this. I thought it was decent and tied up the story nicely. How would you have preferred it to end?
#12 Posted by Shadow4020 (1942 posts) -

Daybreakers.

It was really interesting until the end. It just turned into a thoughtless blood bath.

#13 Posted by koospetoors (3244 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]Law Abiding Citizen. Movie was pretty good until it got to the end.firestar571
Everyone seems to hate the ending to this. I thought it was decent and tied up the story nicely. How would you have preferred it to end?

[spoiler] For me, personally, it was the fact that the bad guy lost again. Apart from doing a few nasty things, he was also the only truly interesting character in the movie for me. [/spoiler] Another film that comes to mind is Repo Men, I really enjoyed most of it but finding out in the end that [spoiler] The whole second half of the movie was just a dream, and the main character is dead [/spoiler] was really, really lame.
#14 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
A I:Artificial Intelligence was pretty good till the last third of the movie.
#15 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10058 posts) -

you thought a movie directed by vincenzo natali would suck? i don't trust you anymore. :|

#16 Posted by TwoFace-BS (10395 posts) -
Project X The last 20 mins is some of the most stupid sh*t Ive ever seen
#17 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3159 posts) -

The Night of the Hunter & Wages of Fear

Both films are highly revered (and with good reason), but their endings simply angered me, particularly that of the former.

A I:Artificial Intelligence was pretty good till the last third of the movie.Travo_basic
The last third has some good things going for it. It just felt rather rushed and/or forced.

#18 Posted by Iszdope (9547 posts) -

Nightbreed.

Still not sure what really went wrong...budget issues I think.

Damn shame.

#19 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7720 posts) -
I'll agree with I am Legend, however I still thought Sunshine was great.
#20 Posted by tocool340 (20454 posts) -
Training Day. Dude got his ass thoroughly beaten by Denzel. He shouldn't have been able to stop Denzel from delivering that money... I am legend.... Law abiding citizen... I know there's a few others, I can't think of them though...
#21 Posted by Aljosa23 (24541 posts) -

It didn't really "blow it" but Minority Report's ending was sort of lame and didn't make sense with the overall theme of the film. There's a theory out there that the last bit after [spoiler] Anderton goes to jail is all a dream inside his head. [/spoiler]

#22 Posted by Big_Bad_Sad (18243 posts) -
Pandorum could have been a good Event Horizon type film if they hadn't added the monsters at the end. Could have been a really good space/psychological film. Same with Sunshine.
#23 Posted by Horgen (110009 posts) -
Law Abiding Citizen. Movie was pretty good until it got to the end.-Renegade
F*ck his civil rights
#24 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]So I just finished watching Splice (aka, The Movie Where Adrien Brody F***s A Monster). I thought it would suck like hell, but surprisingly I found it to be an intelligent and fascinating moral play and character study. It sort of reminded me of Cronenberg's version of The Fly. I was loving the movie, right up until the last 15 minutes or so when it completely switched gears and turned into the standard killer monster movie. Ruined the whole movie for me. And that got me thinking...what are some other movies that you guys really loved (or at least kind of liked) that then blew everything at the end? For me, Sunshine is an obvious choice. Granted, the whole shift happened about midway through the film rather than at the end, but I still think it fits. It started out as an intelligent science fiction film, and then essentially abruptly turned into a Slasher-Movie-In-Space. Killed it for me. Also, I am Legend comes to mind. The movie wasn't that good in the first place, but it had its moments. Then the monsters storm Will Smith's house and the movie completely blows it. It's setting everything up for them to just be coming back to rescue the Kidnapped Monster, but then dumbass Will Smith blows up EVERYONE and the movie makes him out to be the good guy. **** that movie. Any examples you can think of?

I Am Legend sucked because the writers/director veered away from the book. There's a reason why it was called I Am Legend and the movie didn't display that.
#25 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -

For me, Sunshine is an obvious choice. MrGeezer

Came here to say this. So much wasted potential with that movie.

#26 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -
The Departed [spoiler] DiCaprio's character was so damn smart up until the very end where he suddenly and inexplicably turned into a raging dumbass and got himself killed. [/spoiler]
#27 Posted by bigfoot2045 (773 posts) -

The Abyss

It starts off as one of James Cameron's best movies, but it jumps the shark pretty badly towards the end. I guess they just ran out of money. The alien ship looks like a bad theme park ride.

#28 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]Law Abiding Citizen. Movie was pretty good until it got to the end.firestar571

[spoiler] The real problem was how did he beat the guy back to the jail cell? And then the guy sets the bomb off while Jamie is in the jail but it doesn't really explode until Jamie is all the way outside of the jail house? That is the only thing I really had issues with. [/spoiler]

#29 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

LZ71
First movie that came to mind. Total bullsh*t that Latina hoe should of died.
#30 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27998 posts) -
A I:Artificial Intelligence was pretty good till the last third of the movie.Travo_basic
This. I can't believe this wasn't the first thing that came to mind. The first third, in particular, was great. It kind of lost track after that, but managed to find the right place to end: at the bottom of the sea, with David wishing to be a "real boy." Camera pans out, narration kicks in. End the film. Then of course we get an extra twenty minutes of Spielberg's sentimental bullsh*t. We get aliens. What was he thinking? Of course he wouldn't end it on a bleak note with David in the ocean. He just had to end it on the happiest note possible.
#31 Posted by flazzle (6488 posts) -

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]A I:Artificial Intelligence was pretty good till the last third of the movie.sammyjenkis898
This. I can't believe this wasn't the first thing that came to mind. The first third, in particular, was great. It kind of lost track after that, but managed to find the right place to end: at the bottom of the sea, with David wishing to be a "real boy." Camera pans out, narration kicks in. End the film. Then of course we get an extra twenty minutes of Spielberg's sentimental bullsh*t. We get aliens. What was he thinking? Of course he wouldn't end it on a bleak note with David in the ocean. He just had to end it on the happiest note possible.

I actually liked the ending, and I realize I am in the minority. I want to watch this movie again because it's been awhile. For me, the last part of the movie really gave me a sense of mortality and how limited time is, and the more time goes on, the less signfiicant our time we are currently spending is.

I liked the parallel of how David fulfilled his need for a loving person by having his mother created artificially for a short time, just like David was created to fulfill his living mother's need for a loving person earlier in the film.

#33 Posted by NailedGR (997 posts) -

Battlefield Earth. the last 99% of the film really killed the opening credits.

#34 Posted by brickdoctor (9746 posts) -

Full Metal Jacket was amazing during boot camp but I kind of loss interest once they actually made it to Vietnam.

#35 Posted by Skittles_McGee (9136 posts) -

It didn't really "blow it" but Minority Report's ending was sort of lame and didn't make sense with the overall theme of the film. There's a theory out there that the last bit after [spoiler] Anderton goes to jail is all a dream inside his head. [/spoiler]

Aljosa23
Wait, at what point in that movie was anything making sense.
#36 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

hmm i'm sitting reading this thread, and thinking of my own experiences and i can't seem to come up with any movie that i've seen that i thought was good running through then sucked at the end.

can only think of TV shows and games where it's good up until the end.

Mass Effect 3 comes to mind as the biggest, but also Resistance 3, Killzone 3 as recent examples. when i think of TV shows the immediate thought is Battlestar Galactica, though i didn't hate it as much as some people, rather just parts of it didn't make a damn lick of sense.

#37 Posted by Aljosa23 (24541 posts) -

Wait, at what point in that movie was anything making sense.Skittles_McGee
It made more sense than Death Note that's for sure.

#38 Posted by Cyanide4Suicid3 (783 posts) -
The Mist. Ending RUINED it.
#39 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -
The Mist. Ending RUINED it. Cyanide4Suicid3
that i didn't mind really. actually had me thinking. [spoiler] it was sad, but it has me thinking should he have just waited a few moments to have the army roll through and save them all, or was the crazy religious lady (there is almost always on in Stephen King's stories) right that he had to kill his own sons for the monsters to go away [/spoiler] I didn't think it was awful, just left me wondering about it.
#40 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

The most recent film I can think of is Your Sister's Sister

#41 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]A I:Artificial Intelligence was pretty good till the last third of the movie.sammyjenkis898

I'm sure Kubrick would have done the same thing if he directed it.

#42 Posted by the9thinning (925 posts) -

The Dark Knight, there was absolutely zero reason that Batman had to take the blame for Twoface's crimes, you could literally blame any criminal you wanted to, you could even make someone up, anything would be better than blaming the main hero and making his job a million times harder

#43 Posted by animorphsfan (1511 posts) -

No country for old men

#44 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27998 posts) -

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="Travo_basic"]A I:Artificial Intelligence was pretty good till the last third of the movie.DharmaMember77

You haven't even seen the movie.
#45 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

[QUOTE="DharmaMember77"]

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] This. I can't believe this wasn't the first thing that came to mind. The first third, in particular, was great. It kind of lost track after that, but managed to find the right place to end: at the bottom of the sea, with David wishing to be a "real boy." Camera pans out, narration kicks in. End the film. Then of course we get an extra twenty minutes of Spielberg's sentimental bullsh*t. We get aliens. What was he thinking? Of course he wouldn't end it on a bleak note with David in the ocean. He just had to end it on the happiest note possible. sammyjenkis898

You haven't even seen the movie.

Haven't seen it in years but I remember enjoying it.

#46 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24233 posts) -

Oh gosh there's quite a few I suppose but for some reason William A. Wellman's Wild Boys on the Road always sticks in my mind as the film is such a harrowing and starkly realistic portrayal of the horrible existence of depression era kids as they fight to survive and then suddenly the studios force this tacked on sugary happy ending in which everything is fixed all nice and neat. Well...that one kid's leg still got crushed off by a train but still...happy.

#47 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -
Time Bandits
#48 Posted by xLFTMx (987 posts) -

The Mist. Ending RUINED it. Cyanide4Suicid3

I LOVED the ending to that movie,

I hated the ending of Cujo the movie because I had read the book. The happy ending literally changed the whole story.

#49 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3409 posts) -

Seven with brad Pitt and morgan freeman. The movie was really good up until they're in the car with Kevin Spacey going out to the desert to see his "masterpiece that will be riddled over for centuries" I was pumped, thought it would be epic. And all that happens is Gwyneth Platrow got her head cut off and BP gives into wrath or whatever. SOooooo fvckin stupid..

I Am Legend, eh the ending wasn't that good but it didn't ruin the movie for me.

Insidious, the first half was great, once the ghostbusters guys came in, the whole movie got fvcked.. Shame.

And to whoever said this : "Training Day. Dude got his ass thoroughly beaten by Denzel. He shouldn't have been able to stop Denzel from delivering that money..."

I agree, but it didn't kill that movie even a bit though..

#50 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3409 posts) -

The Dark Knight, there was absolutely zero reason that Batman had to take the blame for Twoface's crimes, you could literally blame any criminal you wanted to, you could even make someone up, anything would be better than blaming the main hero and making his job a million times harder

the9thinning
He believed Gotham's hope/morale whatever would have vanished if everyone found out what Harvey Dent turned into. So Batman took the blame. He's not a hero, he's a Dark Knight, don't you listen to movie-ending monologues?