Alaska Becomes Latest State to Legalize Marijuana Use.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Alaska becomes latest state to legalize marijuana use

Marijuana smokers now have a new place to put on their bucket lists: Alaska, which on Tuesday became the third state to officially OK marijuana use.

Following Colorado's lead, voters passed the Alaska Marijuana Legalization ballot measure in November. Legalization became official on Tuesday, which means that now "the use of marijuana (is) legal for persons 21 years of age or older."

There are limits to this law, as there are in similar ones in other states. People still can't legally have more than 1 ounce of marijuana on them. Nor can they harvest more than 4 ounces in their home. And consuming marijuana in public and driving while high are no-nos.

Then there's the fact that the law isn't fully implemented yet. The regulatory structure allowing for entrepreneurs to set up shops like those found in Colorado is still in the works, so right now no one can legally make a living selling the drug.

Not to mention that, under federal law, marijuana is classified as a Schedule 1 narcotic. That makes its use a federal crime.

Is weed legal in your state?

Still, as in many states, there seems to be movement in Washington on that front. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder told CNN in October he is "cautiously optimistic" on the subject of marijuana legalization. Holder said the Justice Department is focused on marijuana distribution to minors, interstate trafficking and drug violence, not incarcerating "low level people who are simply there for possessory offenses."

In the absence -- some might say in defiance -- of any sweeping federal change on marijuana, some states have taken the initiative.

Twenty-three states still prohibit cannabis outright. But the rest of them have either legalized medical marijuana or decriminalized marijuana possession.

Colorado became the first to go one step further in legalizing pot, followed by Washington state. And now there's one more in Alaska.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something, something freedom. Yeah!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It should be decriminalized, in the least.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

I'd hope they'd legalize it, I don't know how else you'd live in Alaska.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Washington DC just did too yesterday... yay!!!

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

This looks a-ok in my book.

While America slowly is loosening the chains on Marijuana, personally I'd also love it if more states in America dropped strict gun ownership rights, where you can own a gun without having to go through a hard process, like getting a license and all that.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@Dogswithguns said:

Washington DC just did too yesterday... yay!!!

I think this will be the more interesting fight.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

You'd guess Alaska would be the first one to legalize pretty much everything.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@Toph_Girl250 said:

This looks a-ok in my book.

While America slowly is loosening the chains on Marijuana, personally I'd also love it if more states in America dropped strict gun ownership rights, where you can own a gun without having to go through a hard process, like getting a license and all that.

Wouldn't matter. Guns are easy as hell to make. I could cobble one together for less than $20 and a trip to Home Depot. Ammo is even easier. All such a law would be doing is make it more difficult for people who follow the law to arm themselves against those who don't.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@LZ71 said:

I'd hope they'd legalize it, I don't know how else you'd live in Alaska.

You don't, you just wait to die or move

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Marijuana smokers now have a new place to put on their bucket lists: Alaska, which on Tuesday became the third state to officially OK marijuana use.

How does CNN know it's always been my life-long goal to visit every place that legalizes weed?