Age of consent, what should it be and why?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by drewtwo99 (9156 posts) -

I live in Texas where the age of consent is 17. In much of the US it is 17, with some states bieng 16 and 18. What is it where you live? Many countries don't have age of consent laws at all, which I think is a little extreme. What would you say is a good age of consent and why?

I personally work at a high school and think that 17-18 is a bit too high. I think kids are going to do what they want to do, and shouldn't be prosecuted for it (sending naughty pictures, texts, etc. Maybe 14, but with special protections... I don't know it's a tough question.

#2 Posted by TheArGaia (629 posts) -
I think it should be 17. Then again, kids are going to have sex regardless so......
#3 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Sexual maturity is attained around 13 or 14. So, I think the age of consent should be ~14.

#4 Posted by DigitalExile (16046 posts) -

If they're consenting with me I don't really care. 8) With everyone else it should be like ... 80 so I can ruin everyone elses fun :x

#5 Posted by RubiksCubeReven (246 posts) -

first, most people disregard age of consent more than age of drinking, so making it 18 is cool since unobedient people would disregard it anyway, but obedient people will listen

If it was like 14 as you said, people would much more likely engage in sexual activity

also not like there's that many people having underage sex

#6 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
Well its 16 in the UK, kids disregard that anyway. I think much older than that and its unrealistic.
#7 Posted by DarnUniverse (59 posts) -
I think 18 is fair. Kids shouldn't even be thinking about sex at the age of 14.
#8 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -
I think most people are emotionally prepared to deal with sex sometime in their late 20's to early 30's, so probably somewhere in there
#9 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -
I think 18 is fair. Kids shouldn't even be thinking about sex at the age of 14.DarnUniverse
I wouldnt say thinking, but being curious is normal. I dont think they should be acting on it yet.
#10 Posted by xLFTMx (987 posts) -

I say 16. It also is 16 in my state.

Marking someone as a sex offender because they were 17 and had sex with a 16 year old is ridiculous to me.

I don't think 15 year olds are quite ready to be fully responsible for their sexual decisions yet.

#11 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -
[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

Marking someone as a sex offender because they were 17 and had sex with a 16 year old is ridiculous to me.

I don't think 15 year olds are quite ready to be fully responsible for their sexual decisions yet.

I dont really think they are anymore mature at 16 than they are at 15. Heck I bet there are plenty of 20somethings or older with the maturity of a 15 year old.
#12 Posted by cd_rom (13951 posts) -
14 because that's how old she currently is.
#13 Posted by xLFTMx (987 posts) -

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

AutoPilotOn

I dont really think they are anymore mature at 16 than they are at 15. Heck I bet there are plenty of 20somethings or older with the maturity of a 15 year old.

Is 15 anymore more mature than 14? What about 14 to 13? Of course they arent completely different, but they've probably atleast had a sex ed class at 16.

There has to be a line somewhere, even if its not perfect.

#15 Posted by DarnUniverse (59 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarnUniverse"]I think 18 is fair. Kids shouldn't even be thinking about sex at the age of 14.AutoPilotOn
I wouldnt say thinking, but being curious is normal. I dont think they should be acting on it yet.

I can agree with that.
#16 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
There are people who are 40 years old who aren't responsible enough to be having sex. That being said, **** age of consent between teenagers. It should only be applied when one person is under 18 and the other is an adult more than 2-3 years older than them (IE a 16 year old with an 18/19 year old is OK, but 16 with 40 wouldn't be). People are not going to wait to have sex because it suddenly becomes legal. How are you going to get caught? Is somebody going to call the cops on you for having sex when you're under the age of consent? Will they bust into that person's bedroom with a battering ram and guns and cuff them and take them to jail? What a useless law, it's only there to really try to stop babies from having babies. You know what would stop that? Sex ed.
#17 Posted by TheArGaia (629 posts) -

listen if girls wanna bang at the age of 10 then its alright with me

HaloReachGOTY
Whatever floats your boat....
#18 Posted by xLFTMx (987 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]

TheArGaia

Whatever floats your boat....

I don't know any boats that float on statutory rape.

But maybe I'm just ignorant.

#19 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -

HaloReachGOTY

chris hansen would like a word with you.

#20 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
16. You're old enough to make educated decisions at that point and if you do get pregnant then you're old enough to be capable of supporting the child. Not saying that anyone should be getting pregnant that young though.
#21 Posted by TheArGaia (629 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]

AutoPilotOn

chris hansen would like a word with you.

This little fella approves
#22 Posted by Agent-Zero (6196 posts) -

Sexual maturity is attained around 13 or 14. So, I think the age of consent should be ~14.

BluRayHiDef
So you'd be ok with a 21 year old and a 14 year old doing it?
#23 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -
[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Agent-Zero

Can I read your sig as your answer to the question?
#24 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Kids should be allowed to explore sex since they are kids at all ages it is only natural and it is healthy, that doesn't mean they should do anything they want but I've heard mothers becoming all paranoid that their kid is going to be a pervert when he/she grows up just because she saw him/her touching other kids private parts. That's ridiculous curiosity and games are part of a healthy sexual maturity for almost all living things in nature. All animals are sexual beings since they are born, sexuality is not a perversion. Now when should kids start to have sex? well that's a tougher subject, as others said when they are 13/14 they reach sexual maturity but they are hardly capable of taking care of another kid. It is also evident that kids are going to have sex anyways so better educate them about the dangers, benefits and reponsibilities of having sex since a young age, sexual taboos and myths are the most harmful things because they distort reality. Having said that I think the age of consent should be around 13 and 14 to do it according to nature (and therefore healthier) but it should be surrounded with a lot of information and education. I can almost guarantee that such an approach will decrease unwanted pregnancies and a whole other problems with teenagers and sex both at that young age and afterwards, at least in comparison with prohibiting them to have sex until they are 18 or until they marry (which is somethings like prohibiting them to eat or breath) and then filling their heads with all kinds of religious nonsense that makes them grow to have unhealthy and unhappy sex lives.
#25 Posted by SkyHalcyon (25 posts) -
Alright, now bear with me here because this may not be the most fleshed out idea, but I think that it might work if the age of consent was about 15 (because face it, any older and it's probably redundant) but up until age twenty 'intimate relationships' with an age gap of over a year are illegal? I think it makes sense because like others have said, it's dumb that a 18 year-old is getting in trouble for doing it with a 17 year-old, but you don't want 18 year-olds getting it on with 15 year-olds. (Where I live age of consent is 18, I think.)
#26 Posted by Agent-Zero (6196 posts) -
[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

xaos

Can I read your sig as your answer to the question?

If it pleases you.
#27 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed.

#28 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

14 because that's how old she currently is.cd_rom

:lol:

YES!

#29 Posted by TheArGaia (629 posts) -

hartsickdiscipl
So... babies then?
#30 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Agent-Zero

From an evolutionary standpoint, it would be advantageous for a female to bear children at an age as young as possible, so that she can bear as many children as possible to increase the population of the species, which in turn increases the likelyhood of the species' survival. The younger the age of sexual maturity, the more successful the species. Now, concerning the matter of an "adult" engaging a "child", that's a matter of cultural norms. The ages at which people are considered to be adults, socially, are arbitrary and do not necessarily coincide with nature. There are some societies in which people as young as 13 or 14 are seen as full fledged adults and even get married. So, the situation isn't so black and white. More so, there are 21 year olds who are as mentally immature as 13 or 14 year olds and vice versa. Essentially, there are too many variables to consider, which is why I can't give your question a mere "yes" or "no".

#31 Posted by sonofsmeagle (4317 posts) -

Well the age of Consent here Down Under is 16 but i know of alot of people that have done it more than once before that.

No matter what age it is people are still going to do it, atleast having it around 17-18 you will put some people off it more but most wont care its sex their not going to ignore it when the oppurtunity arrises especually at that age.

#32 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

TheArGaia

So... babies then?

If you're old enough to crawl, you're already in the right position.

#33 Posted by sonofsmeagle (4317 posts) -

hartsickdiscipl
Sorry but i instantly lold and thought of "If it Bleeds, We can kill it" :lol:
#34 Posted by weezyfb (14703 posts) -
17 seems fine
#35 Posted by rzepak (5758 posts) -

I think a very common age of consent around the world is 15 so why not that. Its still going to be just a number since you cant gauge maturity and everyone develops differently.

#36 Posted by sonofsmeagle (4317 posts) -

I think a very common age of consent around the world is 15 so why not that. Its still going to be just a number since you cant gauge maturity and everyone develops differently.

rzepak
develops hehe, i knew a girl in yr 7 with a DD cup :lol:
#37 Posted by andalore (2644 posts) -

Age of Consent means nothing to Kids these days, theres kids doing it from age 11 so it seems, disgusting as it is, it happens.

#38 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -

BluRayHiDef

From an evolutionary standpoint, it would be advantageous for a female to bear children at an age as young as possible, so that she can bear as many children as possible to increase the population of the species, which in turn increases the likelyhood of the species' survival. The younger the age of sexual maturity, the more successful the species. Now, concerning the matter of an "adult" engaging a "child", that's a matter of cultural norms. The ages at which people are considered to be adults, socially, are arbitrary and do not necessarily coincide with nature. There are some societies in which people as young as 13 or 14 are seen as full fledged adults and even get married. So, the situation isn't so black and white. More so, there are 21 year olds who are as mentally immature as 13 or 14 year olds and vice versa. Essentially, there are too many variables to consider, which is why I can't give your question a mere "yes" or "no".

Actually from a evolutionary point of view that doesn't always makes sense. If you have many children all children are competing for resources so the chance that some of them are growing weak or not going to make it at all increases. The human species went from hunter -gatherer to agricultural societies, in hunter-gatherer societies we evolved and survived for more than 100 thousand years and the average births in those groups are between 2 and 3 kids per female because when you're traveling from place to place it is not desirable or possible to have more. Also in these societies females have to work in cooperation with males to take care of the community meaning they hunt and protect the group as much as men do and you hardly can do that being pregnant.

In agricultural societies females basically become baby factories going from 2 or 3 kids average in hunter-gatherer groups to around 7 kids per female. In this societies it makes sense to have as much male workforce as possible to tend the land and, since you're not constantly traveling, females can dedicate themselves to have kids. Women are basically neglected to a position when they can't do much other than have kids and take care of them. This is actually the genesis of the patriarcal societies which we live on until now, before that society was much more equal as evidenced by our low sexual dimorphism which we evolved with.

So yeah it makes sense in a way as it increases population a lot but, in our case, it also brought nasty practices like the neglect of women and overpopulation that comes with a whole lot of problems. That our ancestors survived for so long having an average of 2 or 3 kids per female can also be interpreted as a good evolutionary trait.

#39 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"] So you'd be ok with a 21 year old and a 14 year old doing it?kuraimen

Actually from a evolutionary point of view that doesn't always makes sense. If you have many children all children are competing for resources so the chance that some of them are growing weak or not going to make it at all increases. The human species went from hunter -gatherer to agricultural societies, in hunter-gatherer societies we evolved and survived for more than 100 thousand years and the average births in those groups are between 2 and 3 kids per female because when you're traveling from place to place it is not desirable or possible to have more. Also in these societies females have to work in cooperation with males to take care of the community meaning they hunt and protect the group as much as men do and you hardly can do that being pregnant.

In agricultural societies females basically become baby factories going from 2 or 3 kids average in hunter-gatherer groups to around 7 kids per female. In this societies it makes sense to have as much male workforce as possible to tend the land and, since you're not constantly traveling, females can dedicate themselves to have kids. Women are basically neglected to a position when they can't do much other than have kids and take care of them. This is actually the genesis of the patriarcal societies which we live on until now, before that society was much more equal as evidenced by our low sexual dimorphism which we evolved with.

So yeah it makes sense in a way as it increases population a lot but, in our case, it also brought nasty practices like the neglect of women and overpopulation that comes with a whole lot of problems. That our ancestors survived for so long having an average of 2 or 3 kids per female can also be interpreted as a good evolutionary trait.

The fact remains that sexual maturity is attained at ~14 years of age. The age at which someone is socially recognized as an adult and the social implications we've attached to sexual maturity are arbitrary and do not coincide with nature.

#40 Posted by Blabadon (31801 posts) -

Kids are always going to break the rules, some on purpose just for fun. So going by teenage standards and a basic calculation, you subtract at least three years from a rule depending on a case.

So make it 18, since we know "teh rebelz" will start at 15.

#41 Posted by Agent-Zero (6196 posts) -
Just because some one's society says that they are adults when they are 14 doesn't make them right. Even if all the 30 year olds are doing 15 year olds in a certain society, it could still be wrong.
#42 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

The fact remains that sexual maturity is attained at ~14 years of age. The age at which someone is socially recognized as an adult and the social implications we've attached to sexual maturity are arbitrary and do not coincide with nature.

Yes I agree with this although IMO it should be accompanied with a lot of education and information as I said before.
#43 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Just because some one's society says that they are adults when they are 14 doesn't make them right. Even if all the 30 year olds are doing 15 year olds in a certain society, it could still be wrong.Agent-Zero

You're missing the point. The point is that there is no intrinsically correct basis upon which it can be argued that ages above (or below) ~14 years are ages at which someone officially becomes an adult. Such ages are arbitrarily chosen and do not coincide with nature. However, the age of ~14 is scientifically known to be the age that someone reaches sexual maturity. So, in accord with nature, in accord with our biology, that is the age at which someone should begin procreation. This is irrefutable. If it were any other age, then ~14 would not be the age at which we reach sexual maturity.

#44 Posted by TheArGaia (629 posts) -

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]Just because some one's society says that they are adults when they are 14 doesn't make them right. Even if all the 30 year olds are doing 15 year olds in a certain society, it could still be wrong.BluRayHiDef

You're missing the point. The point is that there is no intrinsically correct basis upon which it can be argued that ages above (or below) ~14 years are ages at which someone officially becomes an adult. Such ages are arbitrarily chosen and do not coincide with nature. However, the age of ~14 is scientifically known to be the age that someone reaches sexual maturity. So, in accord with nature, in accord with our biology, that is the age at which someone should begin procreation. This is irrefutable. If it were any other age, then ~14 would not be the age at which we reach sexual maturity.

Are you trying to justify Pedophilia?
#45 Posted by supergoat777 (1470 posts) -

uaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa just keep it at 18. you guys who say 12 or 14 or what ever are just creepy.

#46 Posted by Agent-Zero (6196 posts) -

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]Just because some one's society says that they are adults when they are 14 doesn't make them right. Even if all the 30 year olds are doing 15 year olds in a certain society, it could still be wrong.BluRayHiDef

OK so as soon as your daughter turns 14, I'm going to try and date her. I might be 50 by then, but I'm gonna try.
#47 Posted by Clydefrog92 (173 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]Just because some one's society says that they are adults when they are 14 doesn't make them right. Even if all the 30 year olds are doing 15 year olds in a certain society, it could still be wrong.TheArGaia

lol total pedo

#48 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]Just because some one's society says that they are adults when they are 14 doesn't make them right. Even if all the 30 year olds are doing 15 year olds in a certain society, it could still be wrong.TheArGaia

Pedophilia applies to children who are prepubescent. At the age of sexual maturity, they are no longer prepubescent, so it wouldn't be pedophilia. With that said, I personally would not mingle with someone who's less than 18, because of the culture I've been raised in. However, I do not frown upon cultures in which "adults" engage those who've reached sexual maturity. I acknowledge that there are differences in cultures and ages at which people are recognized as adults.

#49 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]Just because some one's society says that they are adults when they are 14 doesn't make them right. Even if all the 30 year olds are doing 15 year olds in a certain society, it could still be wrong.Agent-Zero

OK so as soon as your daughter turns 14, I'm going to try and date her. I might be 50 by then, but I'm gonna try.

Please read the post above this one.

#50 Posted by Agent-Zero (6196 posts) -

BluRayHiDef

Please read the post above this one.

Me and her will move somewhere where it's acceptable.