Actor who plays elmo accused of underage relationship

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by super600 (30860 posts) -

The puppeteer who performs as Elmo onSesame Streetis taking a leave of absence from the popular children's show in the wake of allegations that he had a relationship with a 16-year-old boy, something the 52-year-old denies.The boy is now 23 years old.The accusations may be falsified, but he resigned from his post to deal with the accusations

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/11/12/elmo-pupeteer-kevin-clash.html

I hope this is not true.

#2 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

Sounds fake...

#3 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24976 posts) -

So many Tickle Me Elmo jokes, so little time!

#4 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

16 is the age of consent in New York right? I'm not defending the relationship by any means, but it may not be technically illegal.

#5 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26611 posts) -
Highly doubt the Sesame Workshop would come to his defense if there was even a shred of substance to his accusers accusations. Also pretty convenient that the guy is coming out with this "story" after all the attention Clash has gotten recently.
#6 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

16 is the age of consent in New York right? I'm not defending the relationship by any means, but it may not be technically illegal.

jim_shorts

It's 17 according to wiki.

#7 Posted by freek666 (22312 posts) -

serves Elmo right

#8 Posted by m0zart (11568 posts) -

16 is the age of consent in New York right? I'm not defending the relationship by any means, but it may not be technically illegal.jim_shorts

Nope. In New York, it's 17.

#9 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
People are all like THIS TARNISHES THE REPUTATION OF ELMO, CHILDREN WILL NEVER SEE ELMO THE SAME. Kids don't f*cking know or care there's a puppeteer doing Elmo. I'm a grown-ass adult and I don't really think about it, it doesn't really occur to me that there's anyone behind Elmo. (I am trying so hard to word this without any accidental innuendo, so ignore 'doing' and 'behind' or the consequences will never be the same.) No kid is going to go "Can't like Elmo anymore, he's a child molester" or whatever. They'd probably never even know about this, kids that watch Sesame Street don't watch the news. Elmo is a character. Elmo is not a man or a person to children. He's their little red monster friend who sings with them and stuff. I don't think he should have resigned, is what I'm getting at. Even if the reports were true, it doesn't effect anyone but adults who are losing their marbles over this.
#10 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]16 is the age of consent in New York right? I'm not defending the relationship by any means, but it may not be technically illegal.m0zart

Ah. There is a problem legally then. I thought NY was 16 since so many states around me are. My bad.
#11 Posted by darkspineslayer (20121 posts) -
I wonder where the sex offenders register on Sesame Street....
#12 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
I hope it's fake. I've spoken to Kevin, great guy.
#13 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23705 posts) -
According to one of the comments here

"We met with the accuser twice and had repeated communications with him. We met with Kevin, who denied the accusation. We also conducted a thorough investigation and found the allegation of underage conduct to be unsubstantiated." Of all the bits to edit out of the statement...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/12/elmo-actor-sesame-street-kevin-clash-sex-allegations_n_2117305.html
#14 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

I doubt this. A lot of celebrities are often the targets of false accusations like this, they do it to get money from a settlement. There is far too much wrong with his claim, why would he wait until he was 23 to speak out about it? And is there any evidence to back up his claims?

I call BS.

#15 Posted by MrGeezer (56742 posts) -
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"] Ah. There is a problem legally then. I thought NY was 16 since so many states around me are. My bad.

Legal problem if they can prove it. Even if he was messing around with underaged teens, good luck trying to prove it 7 years later.
#16 Posted by Lief_Ericson (7082 posts) -

WHAT!? This has to be fake, Baby Sinclair would not be involved with this stuff.
Baby_in_Highchair.jpg

#17 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
easiest target since michael jackson. i'm not saying anybody did anything, but it seems like a suspicious accusation.
#19 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7956 posts) -
I guess the kid took the line "Tickle me" a bit too seriously.
#20 Posted by Laihendi (5834 posts) -
[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]16 is the age of consent in New York right? I'm not defending the relationship by any means, but it may not be technically illegal.jim_shorts

Ah. There is a problem legally then. I thought NY was 16 since so many states around me are. My bad.

You guys are doing a good job of highlighting how arbitrary age of consent laws are.
#21 Posted by DJ419 (997 posts) -

I really hope it turns out to be fake. I have so much respect for Kevin and the work he does outside of the tv show.

#22 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

WHAT!? This has to be fake, Baby Sinclair would not be involved with this stuff.
Baby_in_Highchair.jpg

Lief_Ericson

What on earth is that?

#23 Posted by jimkabrhel (15422 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]

Baby_in_Highchair.jpg

sune_Gem

What on earth is that?

Baby from the show Dinosaurs, from the 90s. Performed by Kevin Clash.

From what I've read, Kevin Clash did have a relationship with the accuser, but as an adult and it was consensual. If there was anything illegal going on, I'm sure that Sesame Workshop would have either suspended or fired Kevin.

#24 Posted by gamerguru100 (10794 posts) -

LOL

#25 Posted by lazerface216 (7558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]

Baby_in_Highchair.jpg

sune_Gem

What on earth is that?

WE GOT A YOUNGIN' HERE!!!

#26 Posted by KiIIyou (27151 posts) -
I don't understand
#27 Posted by JML897 (33131 posts) -
The accuser recanted and admitted that he was lying.
#28 Posted by mingmao3046 (2497 posts) -
16 is old enough. unless he was raped i dont see a problem
#29 Posted by edgewalker16 (2283 posts) -

I hope the case gets thrown out--then I hope Clash sues that a-hole for, essentially, ruining his career.

#30 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14531 posts) -

Looks like the accuser has just recanted the allegations, according to the New York Times.

#31 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14531 posts) -
The accuser recanted and admitted that he was lying. JML897
Missed this post.
#32 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]

Baby_in_Highchair.jpg

jimkabrhel

What on earth is that?

Actually, now that you mention it, it's ringing bells...

They were all animatronic weren't they?

#33 Posted by toast_burner (22200 posts) -

The accuser was probably mad that he dumped him and decided to try and get some money out of him. Fortunately he admitted he was lying.

#34 Posted by Lief_Ericson (7082 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

What on earth is that?

sune_Gem

Actually, now that you mention it, it's ringing bells...

They were all animatronic weren't they?

No all puppets or people in suits. It was a Henson thing.
#35 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
Did he tickle her? :P
#36 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14531 posts) -

No all puppets or people in suits. It was a Henson thing.Lief_Ericson
There were people in suits, but animatronics was usedfor the facial expressions for the characters.

#37 Posted by GreySeal9 (24910 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

#38 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -
Sounds fake.
#39 Posted by Hatiko (4550 posts) -

So this is what my dad meant when he randomly told me that "elmo had sex with a little girl."

#40 Posted by Lord_Terrapin (45 posts) -
I always knew there was something wrong with Elmo...always wanting to be tickled.
#41 Posted by Razor-Lazor (12762 posts) -
In all honesty, if Elmo wanted to tickle me then Elmo could tickle me. No questions asked.
#42 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

So many Tickle Me Elmo jokes, so little time!

THE_DRUGGIE