deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

https://wgntv.com/news/medical-watch/accidental-science-uncovers-ongoing-brain-wave-activity-after-death/

A study documented an 87-year-old’s brain activity at the exact moment of his passing. The serendipitous finding opened one doctor’s mind to what’s possible when we die.

“We did not plan the study. It was very accidental,” University of Louisville neurosurgeon Dr. Ajmal Zemmar said.

Zemmar was monitoring a patient for seizures — using electrodes placed across the skull — when the unexpected happened.

“While we were doing this, the patient, unfortunately, suffered a cardiac arrest and died,” he said.

The heart stopped, but the sensors, still in place, picked up the patient’s final brain waves.

“That left us alone with a recording from alive to death,” Zemmar said.

As the University of Louisville neurosurgeon studied the rare recording, a rather beautiful story unfolded.

“There’s very specific brain waves happening in the brain while we replay memories,” Zemmar said. “This is known in healthy humans.”

In studies of healthy humans, brain activity recordings have shown active gamma waves as a person looks at pictures of memorable life events — a wedding, the birth of a child. The same waves appeared in abundance in the dying patient and for 30 seconds after death.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

Thanks for sharing. This is fascinating. So much we still don't understand about how our mind works.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

Makes sense. People often say their life flashes before their eyes, or have experienced things after dying. With the way the brain works, the concept of time, and how you can sleep for 30 minutes but experience a dream that lasted five hours, I am not surprised by this at all.

Not trying to take this in a metaphysical or spiritual direction; quite the opposite, I think all those stories of seeing lights or angels or anything are just our brains playing tricks on us. Maybe it's a coping mechanism designed to put us at ease as our bodies die and brains shut down.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts

Sounds like what death was described as in American Beauty... except he was shot in the head. I'd like to keep my brain intact to experience its final swan song.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Maybe it's a coping mechanism designed to put us at ease as our bodies die and brains shut down.

Or maybe it's making a backup. Or uploading.

Person59673820562093final.bak

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

Maybe that life flashing before your eyes is real!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@br0kenrabbit said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Maybe it's a coping mechanism designed to put us at ease as our bodies die and brains shut down.

Like Black Mirror I want to live in a 80's simulation.

Loading Video...
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

@warmblur said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Don't understand that video but I haven't watched Black Mirror. If Heaven doesn't have an 80's aisle I'm out.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9583 Posts

I didn't know this wasn't already known. It makes a lot of sense and the speculation that it was true always made a lot of sense to me. Very interesting none the less.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@br0kenrabbit said:
@warmblur said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Don't understand that video but I haven't watched Black Mirror. If Heaven doesn't have an 80's aisle I'm out.

The episode is called San Junipero if you are interested I highly recommended it especially if you love 80's aesthetic.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

@warmblur: most people don't like talking about death or even thinking about it. It's not until someone close to them passes, that people start thinking more deeply about it. I lost someone I loved due to covid, it was sudden and happened out of nowhere. He was barely 67 years old, 2 years past his retirement. Despite the fools who say covid only affects people over 80 and with health conditions, it can affect younger people too, and people with no known health issues.

Anyway thanks for the story. I hope my uncle passed away with beautiful memories, and I hope when my time comes I also experience the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@warmblur: most people don't like talking about death or even thinking about it. It's not until someone close to them passes, that people start thinking more deeply about it. I lost someone I loved due to covid, it was sudden and happened out of nowhere. He was barely 67 years old, 2 years past his retirement. Despite the fools who say covid only affects people over 80 and with health conditions, it can affect younger people too, and people with no known health issues.

Anyway thanks for the story. I hope my uncle passed away with beautiful memories, and I hope when my time comes I also experience the same.

Thanks for sharing man sorry about your uncle.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah I've lost people close to me before, but for some reason it never really sunk in until a coworker's dad passed away. We were talking about it and the way he sort of said "Yeah, well, it happens to us all eventually" really made it sink in.

I mean, I knew we all die, I'm not an idiot. It's just seeing this guy grieving for someone that passed that are the same age as my parents made me realize it really is going to happen, and probably sooner than we think, to those we love and ourselves.

Like you said: most people don't like talking about it, and there's a reason for that.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

@mrbojangles25: People are callous, we live a certain way and ignore death and suffering as a survival mechanism. I can relate to your coworker, because my uncle lived together with me most of my life and helped raise me. He was pretty much another father and thats how I grieved him.

I might miss birthdays, get togethers, parties and other events, but I do my best to never miss a funeral. I see it as the most important day in a person's life.