This topic is locked from further discussion.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

But just imagine if it did, what would happen

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

But how could you just no longer exist? Wouldn't your body mass have to go somewhere?fnevaeva
That's why it's impossible to reach absolute zero. It defies physics and the whole law that matter can be neither created or destroyed. That is precisely why it is impossible to reach absolute zero. But you said what would happen if you did and I told you what would happen, if you threw physics out the window of course.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fnevaeva

So what I was thinking is...What would happen if all of a sudden, all the air in the world went to Absolute Zero? Would objects still be solid? or would they randomly come apart as there is no heat to cause the atoms to move which causes an object to stay in a solid state? Because even though an ice cube is very cold, there has to be molecules moving to keep it solid, which means there is some heat.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
All movement would cease, everything may become solid.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

we wud di

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ferrari2001
Everything would cease to exist. The vibration of the cells, particularly the quarks and other particles that make up cells is what keeps that cell in existence. If they were to completely stop all motion they would cease to exist.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Everything would cease to exist. The vibration of the cells, particularly the quarks and other particles that make up cells is what keeps that cell in existence. If they were to completely stop all motion they would cease to exist. ferrari2001

This.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

It all goes back to Zero. 

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The reason an ice cube is solid is because the atoms are moving much slower than liquids or gases. As you get closer to absolute zero, things will become solid, and in most cases they would also shrink (at least most gases).

If the air in the earth became absolute zero, it would quickly rise in temperature from residual heat (of the sun and the heat existing on the earth). It would, however, kill pretty much everything on the surface of the planet with the air condensing into a solid mass (including the air in your lungs). Also the cold would be so intense that most would die instantly since organs would not be able to function.

Likely only bottom dwelling sea creatures that are many miles under the ocean would survive under a many-mile thick sheet of ice acting as an insulator.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38676 Posts

[QUOTE="fnevaeva"]But how could you just no longer exist? Wouldn't your body mass have to go somewhere?ferrari2001

That's why it's impossible to reach absolute zero. It defies physics and the whole law that matter can be neither created or destroyed. That is precisely why it is impossible to reach absolute zero. But you said what would happen if you did and I told you what would happen, if you threw physics out the window of course.

iirc it has something to to w/ the uncertainty principle as well. matter @ absolute zero would presumably have zero momentum would mean it's position would have to be infinite.. so i guess that would mean it's probability of being everywhere is 100%.. which obviously makes no freaking sense :P

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fnevaeva
Interesting
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ferrari2001

The reason an ice cube is solid is because the atoms are moving much slower than liquids or gases. As you get closer to absolute zero, things will become solid, and in most cases they would also shrink (at least most gases).

If the air in the earth became absolute zero, it would quickly rise in temperature from residual heat (of the sun and the heat existing on the earth). It would, however, kill pretty much everything on the surface of the planet with the air condensing into a solid mass (including the air in your lungs). Also the cold would be so intense that most would die instantly since organs would not be able to function.

Likely only bottom dwelling sea creatures that are many miles under the ocean would survive under a many-mile thick sheet of ice acting as an insulator.

XaosII
Something cannot reach absolute zero. You can get infinitely close but you cannot reach it or else that things would cease to exist, thus breaking the laws of physics. So to technically answer the question nothing would happen because it can't happen. However it certainly wouldn't turn solid if it did happen, it would just stop existing.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ferrari2001

But just imagine if it did, what would happen

fnevaeva
Anything that reached absolute zero would instantly cease to exist, that is what physics tells us would happen. There would thus be no more air, the planet would compress, anything made out of concrete would crumble because of the lack of oxygen. Obviously all life on the planet would die almost instantly as the lack of gas would pretty much guarantee any creatures that are made primarily out of water would lose all cohesion and simply dissolve. The earth would become basically like the moon but larger.
fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fnevaeva
But what would happen in that moment of everything ceasing to exist? Would our body just fly apart, compress to a small piece, would the air hurt or feel so cold that it burns?
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ferrari2001
But what would happen in that moment of everything ceasing to exist? Would our body just fly apart, compress to a small piece, would the air hurt or feel so cold that it burns?fnevaeva
You would feel nothing, just suddenly you would no longer exist. Just a poof and your gone. And that is if it instantly turned to absolute zero. If you had to cool you down to that point you would freeze to death long before getting there.
fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fnevaeva
But how could you just no longer exist? Wouldn't your body mass have to go somewhere?
randomtask09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 randomtask09
Member since 2009 • 109 Posts

[QUOTE="fnevaeva"]But how could you just no longer exist? Wouldn't your body mass have to go somewhere?ferrari2001

Thats not actually true. An experiment was done earlier this year (Jan I think) in which scientists were able to bring a gas to negative temperatures on the Kelvin scale. The result was something like the atoms in the gas exhibited the behavior one would expect in a gas with infinite energy. The subzero gas defied thermodynamics and brings the possibilty of one day maybe having beyond 100% efficient engines (ie free energy)

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fnevaeva
Is there any article on this? I would be interested in reading about it
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ferrari2001
Is there any article on this? I would be interested in reading about itfnevaeva
I don't know, this is just physics stuff I've picked up over the years, I'm sure there are some textbooks that talk about it. But I'd never recommend a text book because they are so god-awfully boring.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Better put on a sweater, I'll tell you what!
fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fnevaeva

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]

[QUOTE="fnevaeva"]But how could you just no longer exist? Wouldn't your body mass have to go somewhere?comp_atkins

iirc it has something to to w/ the uncertainty principle as well. matter @ absolute zero would presumably have zero momentum would mean it's position would have to be infinite.. so i guess that would mean it's probability of being everywhere is 100%.. which obviously makes no freaking sense :P

LOL, oblivion glitch (shield flys across the map after hitting your head)
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]

[QUOTE="fnevaeva"]But how could you just no longer exist? Wouldn't your body mass have to go somewhere?comp_atkins

Want more confusion? You can get to below 0 kelvin...if you go backwards :P

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130104143516.htm

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
You've got it the other way round. It isn't the movement the increased things solid, it is the decreased movement.