About the latest Game of Thrones episode (S5/E9) (spoilers)

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Spoilers obviously...

Even as a book reader, I'm terribly shocked. So shocked it moved me to make my first thread in what, over a year?

Anyway, anyone else gobsmacked? It was totally out of Stannis' character. In the books he burned rapists and cannibals. Here, he burns his own daughter alive?

And worst of all, it was GRRM's idea. Confirmed here: https://youtu.be/NfLScJVXBHQ?t=1m33s

Anyone's thoughts on it? I loved the rest of the episode, and I'm loving this season so far (much to the annoyance of some of my more feminist/PC leaning friends), but this moment had me pretty shocked.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

The last 2 episodes have been fantastic. Some of the best of the entire series. Next week's finale is also looking like it's going to be a good one.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ShadowsDemon

@ferrari2001 said:

The last 2 episodes have been fantastic. Some of the best of the entire series. Next week's finale is also looking like it's going to be a good one.

Yes they have indeed. It's just the Stannis storyline that's bugging me.

Also, sorry for posting this thread twice - there was a glitch and I didn't know I'd done it already...

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Only read the first 3 books, I had been warming up quite a bit to Stannis......but that was easily the most screwed up thing ever in the GoT show, first time I've ever been shaken by the show.....Shireens pleas and screams were too much.

I understand his choices were limited and Melissandra has always been right, but there had to be another way.

I also think season 5 has been great, and I think "Hardhome" was the best episode ever of the show.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShadowsDemon

@AFBrat77: Oh, I agree. It was honestly just too much. What was the last time on TV we saw a child being burned alive while her parents watched? And Shireen was just a sweet, lovely girl. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people dropped out of the show.

But overall I do think Season 5 has been excellent.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

I'm team White Walkers at this point, unless Jon manages to survive whatever ominous thing that kid is about to do.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShadowsDemon
@Brutal_Elitegs said:

I'm team White Walkers at this point, unless Jon manages to survive whatever ominous thing that kid is about to do.

Have you read the books?

You may be in for a nasty treat if you haven't...

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@ShadowsDemon said:
@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Have you read the books?

What does he do? PM me please.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowsDemon

@lonewolf604 said:
@ShadowsDemon said:
@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Have you read the books?

What does he do? PM me please.

You really want me to spoil it for you? I can't confirm what the boy will do, only what happened at the end of ADoD. No one knows the end of this season.
Hell, I know GRRM, and I have no clue what's going to happen.

Avatar image for nothingformoney
NothingForMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 NothingForMoney
Member since 2014 • 466 Posts

Stannis is a ****

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadowsDemon
@nothingformoney said:

Stannis is a ****

Ain't gonna disagree with that.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Damn it's like the show just doesn't want me to have people to root for.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Edited topic to add spoiler tag. Although it's implied, please mention "spoilers" in the topic.

As for the ep, the figthing pits scene played out a bit differently from the books but I was happy with it overall (although my wife is constantly angry when the Sons of the Harpy manage to make any headway against the Unsullied).

I didn't think what Stannis did was terrbily out of character for him. He's a giant dick in both versions of the story. It sure was a surprise, though.

-Byshop

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

he will probably survive that candle dinner for two

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShadowsDemon
@Byshop said:

Edited topic to add spoiler tag. Although it's implied, please mention "spoilers" in the topic.

As for the ep, the figthing pits scene played out a bit differently from the books but I was happy with it overall (although my wife is constantly angry when the Sons of the Harpy manage to make any headway against the Unsullied).

I didn't think what Stannis did was terrbily out of character for him. He's a giant dick in both versions of the story. It sure was a surprise, though.

-Byshop

I actually tried to add (spoilers) to the topic title, but it said there were too many characters...which is why I accidently posted twice.

But yeah, the fighting scenes were phenomenal. They sweetened the sour taste in my mouth when watching the Stannis scene. It was definitely out of character, and I was not impressed.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Any full frontal?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Very hard scene to watch.

Anyways overall great episode, especially the ending. The actual scene was a little corny in the way it was filmed but I am glad dragons are back in the picture. I hope this finally kick starts her ass to get moving again because she has been in a serious rut in Mereen.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Been relying on a friend to fill me in for this season, as I pretty much gave up on this show after season four. Kinda amusing to see the uproar this episode has caused.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

I know the show runners really hate Stannis, it was obvious since he was introduced but I really didn't expect them to go this far. This was just horrible.. Stannis would never do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Been relying on a friend to fill me in for this season, as I pretty much gave up on this show after season four. Kinda amusing to see the uproar this episode has caused.

You're right to do it. The entire season has been a joke at this point. Only high point is the end of episode 8.

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

Yeah, same here. I was debating on being #TeamRamsay - everyone is either boring or a prick and my boy Jaime hasn't done shit for two seasons, so might as well root for the most entertaining bloke at this point. It feels like Ramsay is playing the game with some kind of God mode cheat enabled (entering a camp of a thousand men with only 20 and burning their supplies without being seen, ok) but also I feel like he's unsustainable for the future like Manchester United's transfer spending.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
@sammyjenkis898 said:

You're right to do it. The entire season has been a joke at this point. Only high point is the end of episode 8.

That's pretty much what I've been told. The high point involves Snow, right? I find that hard to believe.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

ffs people. keep book related shit in spoiler tags.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Renevent42

I think the season overall is still really good. It did start off slow, and there were some awful scenes (sand snake fight was a complete joke*), but it's building up really nicely with some absolutely awesome events like the end of episode 8.

Basically biggest complaints I guess would be the slow start, and the way some of the scenes were shot and casting choices for the new characters. I don't know what (if anything) changed but a few scenes this season seemed like they could have been from some fantasy teen romp show like Once Upon a Time or something.

*with that said, the prison scene made up for it :)

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@Serraph105 said:

There's still Arya/Tyrion/Jon Snow

Well maybe Jon Snow depending on the end of the last book...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:
@Serraph105 said:

AAAAAnd they're dead. :p

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105

@chessmaster1989: I don't disagree with the people you mentioned I'm just having trouble remembering a time in the books that we had a villain go through a redemption arc, only for them to turn around and do something so new and despicable that they were no longer a hero in the eyes of the audience. Granted I'm only through the first three books so far so I may not know everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

So dany just basically left everyone to die. :/

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Great episode. It really shows how far Stannis is willing to go to claim his crown. This will either work out really well for him, or end really badly.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Another great episode. I knew Stannis was seriously considering the sacrifice but I was expecting him to put an end before things got ugly. Or even Davos saving the day. Nope, Stannis just lost my respect. He has done some pretty dark shit but doing this to his lovely daughter? Damn...

The dragon scene was also amazing. Good to see Jorah back. He's been with us from the start, I've grown fond of him.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AFBrat77

@Motokid6:

I think season 5 has been the best, season 2 was the worst. I'm in the minority but heh it happens. I could see the pieces building all season, and I enjoyed the buildup. I liked Hardhome better than Blackwater and Rains of Castamere.

Trying to fit Book 2 into 10 episodes of Season 2 was a mistake. I think they learned to spread it out for Book 3.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Serraph105

@airshocker said:

Great episode. It really shows how far Stannis is willing to go to claim his crown. This will either work out really well for him, or end really badly.

Being a kinslayer in westeros has not always produced the best results.

I swear this Stannis's arc for the past season, as well as a couple episodes last season, has been about his struggle to earn the throne in the eyes of the realm.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#34 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Wouldn't be surprised if he child survives the fire with her awesome dragon powers... maybe nnot.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

It was a solid episode all things considered. Meereen in particular was pretty great. But yeah, Stannis' storyline was just terrible. Not just because of what he did, but also because of how sloppy and unearned it felt. It's like he immediately jumped to the worst possible conclusion, was just seemed very out of character. I also don't know why the writers insist on letting Ramsay keep god mode enabled.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hardhome ends up being the highlight of what has been a very inconsistent season.

Also, Dorne truly ended up being nothing but a huge waste of time. Absolutely nothing of value was gained from it.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Renevent42
@Motokid6 said:

I gotta admit the Dragon riding was not done very well. I'm sure they did the best they could with what they had, but it looked incredibly fake I'd say. It looked like she was just sitting on a dummy with a green screen. Was her hair even blowing in the wind? Because that's the thing. Animals that large would need to move at a high rate of speed to sustain flight. And they do. So not only would a dragon rider have to fight hundred mile an hour winds I imagine the gforces would be very harsh too. Especially when taking off like she did. It'd be like riding on a pissed off bull.

"Realism in a show with dragons" I understand that sounds silly, but it's that particular type of realism that imo adds to the immersion of the scene. That whole time I was just asking myself as she climbing on Drogon. "Someone wanna get her a belt or.. something to strap the queen in? I mean if she falls off then wtf do you do? Lol.

And from what I saw Drogon didn't have much for spikes she could've wedged herself in and held onto. That scene was a put off for me because it just did not what so ever look like someone riding a dragon. I'm fully convinced it can be done right. Give her some belts, maybe a seat of sorts. Hopefully its better in future scenes because that was a first for the show.

Also Jorah and Daario should probably consider teaching Dany how to fight. She was completely helpless before Drogon showed up. She's got people that fight for her, but shit happens.

Yeah...I mean it was cool from a story perspective, but the scene itself didn't look good at all. Not even talking about realism or whatever, it just looked cheap and silly kinda like the sand snake fight with Jamie/Braun. I don't know if someone new is doing these scenes or what, but there's been a few scenes this season that just aren't up to snuff for the series.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

maybe what happened to Shireen is something that is planned for The Winds of Winter.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

Being a kinslayer in westeros has not always produced the best results.

I swear this Stannis's arc for the past season, as well as a couple episodes last season, has been about his struggle to earn the throne in the eyes of the realm.

True.

I don't think Stannis thinks he needs to earn the throne. To him, and what makes him such a great character, is that he believes he IS the king already. His resolve is such that he burned his daughter as a sacrifice to the Red God.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#41 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:

Pretty much the only 3 major characters I can still stand in that show...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

@Renevent42: Its strange. In one scene the choreography will be terrible and in another it'll be great. Can't imagine what's going on there...

$$$

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

I know the show runners really hate Stannis, it was obvious since he was introduced but I really didn't expect them to go this far. This was just horrible.. Stannis would never do that.

Actually according to an interview with the showrunners it was GRRM's idea to have that in the show.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/08/game-of-thrones-showrunners-talk-last-nights-death-scene

-Byshop

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

If GRRM wanted her burned in the show she'll probably get the same status in the books.

Stannis was always kind of nutty. He already murdered his own brother with a shadow monster born from that one lady's fire vagina. Is it really surprising that man that murders his own brother, chops the fingers off a guy that saved his life, and neglects his wife in literally every way could also be capable of child murder? He never even really cared for Shireen openly, and was probably ashamed of her.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
@Aljosa23 said:

Only high point is the end of episode 8.

Absolutely loved this shot, but I think you're forgetting.

I hope you buy Falcao for an unreasonably high fee.

@sammyjenkis898 said:

What made you give up?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AFBrat77

@korvus:

what about Davos? I think he's one of the good guys, despite the smuggling past.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#49 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@AFBrat77: True, Davos is alright but I think of him as more of a support character.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@korvus: Actually in the books, he has his own chapters dedicated to him. I really like Davos, he may be lowborn but he's a better man than most(or all) nobles.