This topic is locked from further discussion.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

What pets has everyone got then? Post your pics. :) I'm definitely a dog person but can only fend off the mrs's desire to get a cat for so long I think... I don't dislike cats really but I do find them a little annoying to have in my own house jumping on kitchen sides and being noisy pests when they want in/out in the middle of the night. Certainly couldn't have a litter tray either but I know then can be trained to go outside.

This is out lab Clover who came from the local rescue centre. No idea how she ended up there because she's perfectly trained and sweet as anything.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts
Looked similar to this one
Looked similar to this one

awww had a dog too but she died of cancer about 5 years ago, got her when she was a puppy because the puppy face

Could you say no to a face like this!?
Could you say no to a face like this!?
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Not at home, so I don't have a close up of the white cat. They're both around 13 years old (same parents).

And also a picture of my dog after her recent surgery. She's about a year younger than the cats.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dylandr

@Celldrax: Haha those cats look really fluffy!

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

that was my little brother Kian, he died last January still not over him. He died of a heart attack in the middle of the night I tried to CPR him but wouldn't work.

He lived a happy life to 14 years old.

Not over him yet, but starting to be open to the idea of another dog, I want another Kerry Blue but would warm to a labradoodle.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dylandr

@thehig1: haha he looks like an old man i once met xD

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bulby_g

@dylandr said:

awww had a dog too but she died of cancer about 5 years ago, got her when she was a puppy because the puppy face

Sorry to hear that. :( Did she have a fairly long life at least or did it happen early? We would love to have got a puppy but we investigated the local rescue centre first and couldn't resist homing Clover. Quite tempted to get a buddy for her now too haha. I know from our last dog that we had as a puppy the early days can be a bit of a messy time with chewing and toilet training though so we skipped all that at least!

Clover was hugely overweight and extremely shy when we got her too so it's quite satisfying to see her transform completely in the time we have had her. In fantastic shape now and very social.

@Celldrax said:

Not at home, so I don't have a close up of the white cat. They're both around 13 years old (same parents).

And also a picture of my dog after her recent surgery. She's about a year younger than the cats.

What did she need surgery for? Do the cats and dog get on OK and have they always? Our dog is really wary around cats after being attacked by one and I'm not sure if she could ever live with one.

@thehig1 said:

that was my little brother Kian, he died last January still not over him. He died of a heart attack in the middle of the night I tried to CPR him but wouldn't work.

He lived a happy life to 14 years old.

Not over him yet, but starting to be open to the idea of another dog, I want another Kerry Blue but would warm to a labradoodle.

Ah that's tough, sorry to hear that. He's very cute, love their bushy moustaches. 14 is a good age at least. It took me a while to get used to the idea of a new dog after my last one died too. I think this time I'll definitely get a second one at some point in Clover's life though who is younger. Having had one in the house through 90% of my life it feels really odd having no dog at all.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dylandr

@bulby_g: She was 14,7 (most don't become older as 12) but she was my old lady :) still miss her as much as the first day...

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bulby_g

@dylandr said:

@bulby_g: She was 14,7 (most don't become older as 12) but she was my old lady :) still miss her as much as the first day...

Ah it's nice she got a long happy life at least then. Doesn't make it any easier though does it!

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dylandr

@bulby_g: the worst thing is: She was to proud to show pain (not even joking) otherwise we could've removed the tumour...

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Celldrax

@bulby_g said:

What did she need surgery for? Do the cats and dog get on OK and have they always? Our dog is really wary around cats after being attacked by one and I'm not sure if she could ever live with one.

Already had the cats when I got her, so they all grew up together.

The white one is deaf though, so she gets a bit hissy towards the others sometimes. They all mostly tolerate each other at least.

As for my dogs surgery, she had a very infected and incredibly swollen uterus that was also affecting her kidneys. She was probably days away from death without an operation. Didn't think I was going to have her beyond the day I took her to the vet.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dylandr

@Celldrax: Did you know that deafness is really common amongst white animals? (polarbears not included)

also my dog had something simmilar i remember what the vet told me how it could've ended (she was 3 at the time)

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Celldrax
@dylandr said:

@Celldrax: Did you know that deafness is really common amongst white animals? (polarbears not included)

also my dog had something simmilar i remember what the vet told me how it could've ended (she was 3 at the time)

Yeah, supposedly many white cats are pretty much deaf.

I think remember it having something to do with their eye colour, though not really sure.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

my pups from a few years ago, his black nose has faded as he's gotten older

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dylandr

@comp_atkins:Your dog still has fab as fuq hair man!

@Celldrax: It's something with genetics and pigments (yes pigments affect hearing idk how but it does) xD

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#16 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

We have a pair of dogs. The two on the left are ours. 90lb German Shepherd/Doberman Pinscher Mix and a 20lb super-terrier (a little of everything).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Because you're worth it.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

@dylandr: except it is everywhere in our house and is an endless battle to clean it up :)

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I inherited a dog. It worked out since we have the same hobbies; naps, scratching, barking at squirrels. Cats aren't pets, they're hobos that show up once in a while, demand food and then destroy something as a thank you.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20  Edited By BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@fenriz275 said:

I inherited a dog. It worked out since we have the same hobbies; naps, scratching, barking at squirrels. Cats aren't pets, they're hobos that show up once in a while, demand food and then destroy something as a thank you.

some cats have personalities such as you describe, but then again some cats do not

there's this cat where i live, and whenever she visits me, the *only thing* she cares for are tummy rubs and taking long naps on my lap

she's probably one of the kindest creatures i've come across on my time on this planet, and i've had many pets, both cats and dogs, throughout my life

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

I have an orange/red canary.

I used to have two betta fish but they both died. One died from eating too much (female) while the other one died for not eating much (male).

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

2 Australian Shepherds and a Shih Tzu. our Shih Tzu rules over the Aussies, is funny to watch.

The black Tri is Ava, the Red Merle is Skylar, and the Shih Tzu is Anna.

-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

I have one dog and his name is Ryder. He's a border collie x husky.

aryianna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aryianna
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

Here are 3 of my 4 wieners :) I have 4 mini dachshunds and a larger sized shepherd/lab mix who weighs 65 pounds but thinks he's a little 15 pound dog.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@bulby_g:

First set of pics are from Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. Second set of pics are from Nokia Lumia 1020. Definite shift in quality.

Also, it's all the same cat.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dylandr

@comp_atkins: Know that feeling, even though my dog has been dead for about 4.5-5 years we still find her hairs all over the house, even on places we didn't even know she has been xD

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@bulby_g:

First set of pics are from Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. Second set of pics are from Nokia Lumia 1020. Definite shift in quality.

Also, it's all the same cat.

Could mistake this for a Scottish Wild Cat if it wasn't for the tale.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@aryianna said:

Here are 3 of my 4 wieners :) I have 4 mini dachshunds and a larger sized shepherd/lab mix who weighs 65 pounds but thinks he's a little 15 pound dog.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

@aryianna said:

lol

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Well, I have a snapping turtle, but I hesitate to call it a "pet". For starters, because it's a goddamn snapping turtle, rather than something like a dog. It will never like me. And even if I tame it enough to not bite me at the slightest provocation, we are destined to soon part ways. I didn't adopt it because I wanted a friend or companion. I took it in because I saw it as a hatchling in a hostile environment and took pity on it. Ultimate plan is to get it strong enough and big enough to live on its own, and then we part ways.

I'm also trying to start an ongoing colony of giant moths. I still have a few pupae from the winter, who haven't matured yet. And I did already get one female to mature and mate and lay eggs, and am now just hoping that the eggs are fertile and hatch soon. If all goes well, I should be able to have an ongoing colony of giant moths for as long as I desire. But again, I hesitate to call them "pets". After all, they are just fucking bugs.They're really more like "specimens".

Nice thing about the moths is that the adults cannot eat. They have only vestigial mouthparts and therefore, due to their biology, can ONLY live for about a week (at most) after emerging from their pupae. On one hand, this removes a LOT of my guilt about the whole thing. I do a fair amount of Dead Animal Art, but I generally try to limit it to animals that were already doomed. I don't want to KILL animals for art, but I totally take dead animals and pose them. So the short lifespan of these things removes a good bit of guilt. Yes I can keep them captive until they die, but they're gonna die anyway. As long as the amount that I release matches the amount that I catch, then equilibrium is maintained. Still, even without the guilt, it's kind of sad. I've gotten four of these moths and watched them die so far, and the way that they cling to life is kind of depressing. Even if guilt is removed by letting them fulfill their sole purpose of reproducing, they're still FUCKING DYING, and I have to repeatedly see them go from vibrant animals full of energy and life, to worn down wrecks just clinging on to the slightest bit of life. Seeing that happen a mere four times actually made me sad as shit.

Though, plus side...if the eggs happen to be viable, then I've got more than 200 eggs. If even only half of them actually hatch, that's 100 babies. if only a quarter of those babies mature into moths, that's 25 moths. Four agonizingly drawn out deaths may be a tragedy, but hopefully 25 agonizingly drawn out deaths will just be a statistic. With any luck, my moth colony should work out, and then I should hopefully get desensitized to all the death.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

@MrGeezer:

Now all you need is a sewing machine, a pair of night vision goggles, and a dog named "Precious."

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@-Water-Wings- said:

I have one dog and his name is Ryder. He's a border collie x husky.

He's beautiful :O