A language quiz that can tell where you grew up

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by jrmorgan23 (54 posts) -

That was pretty cool. Although the three cities aren't "close", if you drew a line between all of them you would be pretty close to my small town in upstate NY, which was the darkest red area on the map. That was entertaining, thanks for the link.

and btw...half of NY calls carbonated beverages "sodas" while the western half calls it "pop", which i've also heard when out in the midwest like IL and MI. Some people who the results weren't accurate I would wager their family emigrated from those parts or something to that effect. I'm living in the south now and a lot of kids aren't getting the southern accent because their parents moved here from the north. Future lifetimes will probably see less and less accents which is a shame. But if "y'all" gets eliminated than it'll be worth it. ;)

#52 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20394 posts) -

it picked worcester, MA and milwaukee. i grew up in southern new hampshire, but a lot of my family (including my parents) grew up in eastern MA so i have some of their accents. worcester wasn't a bad guess.

still, some of the questions seemed cheap. questions about the weather and liquor laws tell you about more than just dialect.

#53 Posted by playmynutz (5925 posts) -

Quiz had no DMV lingo getmedoe

#54 Posted by edinsftw (4223 posts) -

LOL this thing was pretty inaccurate for me.

Reno, Overland Park, Springfield were my 3...

I live in Arizona so...yea... closest is 551 miles

#55 Edited by jcknapier711 (380 posts) -

Yup, I've lived most of my life near 'Yahnkaz.' That's spelled Yonkers, NY FYI.

#56 Posted by jcknapier711 (380 posts) -

But if "y'all" gets eliminated than it'll be worth it. ;)

It's interesting, when I was younger I always said, "youse guys" because that's a Brooklyn thing. But now I say 'yall.' I don't know or how it changed. Maybe it's just easier to say.

#57 Posted by roulettethedog (10931 posts) -

Link

My top three were Minneapolis-St Paul, Madison, and Anchorage. It was highly accurate for me considering I live in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro.

Was it accurate for you?

Yea it hit that I am from Mpls/St.paul too. I got Akron Ohio and Aurora Colorado.

#58 Edited by the_bi99man (11028 posts) -

It guessed Tacoma, Las Vegas, and Sunrise Manor (almost right on top of Las Vegas) for me.

Tacoma and Las Vegas are both about 600 miles from where I've lived for the last two years. And the closer of the two is over 2,000 miles from where I grew up and lived before that.

#59 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

very nice, while the cities it listed werent in my state, the state im in is in the darker red shade. So seems pretty damn accurate.

New england gets a bit muddled though with our tiny ass states.

#60 Posted by Treflis (11388 posts) -

Clearly, folks, the quiz is meant for Americans. If you're not American then your results aren't relevant.

Then Isn't it a US dialect quiz rather then Language?

=P

#61 Posted by PiscesChick93 (10687 posts) -

@Celldrax said:

Well, I'm not even from the US, but I got New York, Pembroke Pines, and Miami/Hialeah.

Ditto.

#62 Posted by worlock77 (22533 posts) -

That was pretty cool. Although the three cities aren't "close", if you drew a line between all of them you would be pretty close to my small town in upstate NY, which was the darkest red area on the map. That was entertaining, thanks for the link.

and btw...half of NY calls carbonated beverages "sodas" while the western half calls it "pop", which i've also heard when out in the midwest like IL and MI. Some people who the results weren't accurate I would wager their family emigrated from those parts or something to that effect. I'm living in the south now and a lot of kids aren't getting the southern accent because their parents moved here from the north. Future lifetimes will probably see less and less accents which is a shame. But if "y'all" gets eliminated than it'll be worth it. ;)

Well in my case both sides of my family have lived in the area I grew up in since the 1800s.

#63 Posted by worlock77 (22533 posts) -

@Treflis said:

@worlock77 said:

Clearly, folks, the quiz is meant for Americans. If you're not American then your results aren't relevant.

Then Isn't it a US dialect quiz rather then Language?

=P

Indeed, which is why the page with the quiz says "dialect", not "language" and features a map of the US and no other countries.

#64 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10041 posts) -

@lostrib said:

But I already know where I grew up

i lol'd at this.

#65 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

@OmitName said:

direct link it is not a short quiz

it got me. it did spread it's guesses quite widely across the nation though. people are always saying that im strange, i thought it would miss.

Thanks. I loathe when TC's are too bummy to give the drect link.

#66 Edited by LexLas (4163 posts) -

I got three places, San Jose California was the closest to SF. Not bad, pretty accurate, and pretty cool.

#67 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2749 posts) -

Wow what a crappy quiz. I got New York, Jersey and some other city I haven't heard of. And I have never in my life even been close to any of those places.

Do you even live in the US...?

You grew up in Sweden yeah? I did too. I also got New York and Jersey so maybe it's not such a bad quiz after all! ;)

#68 Posted by OmitName (717 posts) -

i really tried to answer as honest as i could when i took it again just now. different questions, and it didnt have as many. it missed, far west cities; honolulu and california beach cities. either i answered the way i would have liked as apposed to honestly because i have a strange desperation to fit in where im from, or the thing cheats and peeked at my internet service last time. mayhaps their peeking obstructed since ive been kicking some settings about lately.

#69 Edited by xdude85 (4314 posts) -

Pretty accurate considering that I live in Central Ohio, and I got Toledo, Fort Wayne, and Grand Rapids as my results.

#70 Edited by limpbizkit818 (15024 posts) -

It got me. I have a heavy NY accent so it's not hard to guess.

#71 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15810 posts) -

The quiz said I'm from Sacramento, Oxnard, Irvine. Not bad.

I'm from Fallon, Nevada. However, I had also lived at Northern California and the California central coast (after reaching adulthood).

#72 Posted by supa_badman (16618 posts) -

Seattle, Honolulu and San Jose lol

i'm torontonian

#73 Posted by tofu-lion91 (13481 posts) -

I got

NEWARK / PATERSON

JERSEY CITY

YONKERS

Fun quiz, but I live in the UK, wish they did one for us :)

#74 Posted by PonchoTaco (1904 posts) -

I got Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Las Vegas. Pretty accurate considering I live 20 miles north of Detroit. Not sure about Las Vegas, never been there.

#75 Posted by Renevent42 (5009 posts) -

New York and South Florida...yup...that's accurate.

#76 Posted by crazyguy111 (166 posts) -

This seems pretty accurate. I was actually born in New York, and one of its suggestions was New York.