A language quiz that can tell where you grew up

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gamerguru100 (10461 posts) -

Link

My top three were Minneapolis-St Paul, Madison, and Anchorage. It was highly accurate for me considering I live in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro.

Was it accurate for you?

#2 Edited by lamprey263 (22825 posts) -

It picks for me Seattle, Portland, and Salt Lake City. It's accurate as far as I can tell.

#3 Edited by OmitName (717 posts) -

direct link it is not a short quiz

it got me. it did spread it's guesses quite widely across the nation though. people are always saying that im strange, i thought it would miss.

#4 Posted by lostrib (33404 posts) -

But I already know where I grew up

#5 Edited by ssvegeta555 (2262 posts) -

I got Seattle, Tacoma, and Portland. That's very accurate. I use to live in WA in and around those areas and currently I live in Portland.

#6 Edited by bigfootpart2 (91 posts) -

It seems to think I'm from New York. I'm actually from Eastern Pennsylvania. Close enough.

#7 Posted by plageus900 (971 posts) -

I got Seattle, Tacoma and.....Salt Lake City....

The first two are accurate.

#8 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

I got Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Toledo.

Wow, that's pretty accurate, being that I live in MI. Especially that Grand Rapids one, that's only an hour or more so away from my town.

Though it pretty much narrowed it down with just two questions, "What do you call the night before Halloween?" (Devil's Night) and "What do you call a sweetened carbonated beverage?" (Pop). lol

#9 Posted by CBR600-RR (9690 posts) -

I'm from Manchester, England. It just does America.

#10 Posted by themajormayor (25677 posts) -

Wow what a crappy quiz. I got New York, Jersey and some other city I haven't heard of. And I have never in my life even been close to any of those places.

#11 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

Yeah it got the right location. But then...it can't miss if you answer honestly.

#12 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -

I got three places in Florida. Interesting.

#13 Posted by Celldrax (14551 posts) -

Well, I'm not even from the US, but I got New York, Pembroke Pines, and Miami/Hialeah.

#14 Posted by SilentFireX (1951 posts) -

The three cities it determined were all about thirty minutes away from me. I'd say the test is pretty freakin' accurate overall.

#15 Edited by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

I got Honolulu, Hawaii; Columbus, Georgia; and Pembroke Pines, Florida. The last one is the closest to where I grew up, but it's still very far away.

#16 Posted by lamprey263 (22825 posts) -

did you pick "potato bug"?

#17 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

Apparently I grew up in NY rofl

#18 Edited by wii60_3 (2006 posts) -

New york, yonkers, jersey city, Im from toronto area

tho so the northeast was red

#19 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -

I got Orlando, Anchorage, and Pembroke Pines. But Iv'va lived in Minneapolis my whole life hehe

#20 Posted by plageus900 (971 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

did you pick "potato bug"?

Yes I did.

#21 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

I got New York, Jersey City, and New Ark, which is incredibly accurate (I'm from New York).

#22 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

Yeah it got the right location. But then...it can't miss if you answer honestly.

Sure it can...

It's only accurate for you silly americans.

#23 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Didn't get me right.

Says I'm California: Santa Rosa, Fremont, and Oceanside. The fartherest west of the United States I've been is probably...., Austin Texas.

Some of the questions I didn't understand; Po-boy/sub are both used here, but Po-boy is more of a baby boomer term and refers to only cut cuts - not all subs.

#24 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
but Po-boy is more of a baby boomer term and refers to only cut cuts

A po' boy (also po-boy, po boy, or poor boy) is a traditional submarine sandwich from Louisiana. It almost always consists of meat, usually roast beef, or fried seafood.

Wikipedia says you're wrong.

#25 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:
@Fightingfan said:

A po' boy (also po-boy, po boy, or poor boy) is a traditional submarine sandwich from Louisiana. It almost always consists of meat, usually roast beef, or fried seafood.

Wiki is a weak source.

Now write me a response in MLA format my...

#26 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:
@Fightingfan said:

Wiki is a weak source.

Now write me a response in MLA format my...

I'd never heard of a po-boy before.

Also, I'll believe a collaboration of millions of randoms, where the idiots who spam non-sense are banned from editing, over a single random.

#27 Edited by JML897 (33120 posts) -

Rockford IL, Aurora IL, Detroit. I live pretty close to Aurora so that's fairly accurate

#28 Posted by dave123321 (33628 posts) -

Anyone have trouble coming up with answers for some of these due to a feeling that you were answering based on various media rather then media free responses. Like I answered fireflies but I just realized that I don't really hear that round here often and answered based on my time with the last of us I guess.

#29 Posted by gamerguru100 (10461 posts) -

Anyone have trouble coming up with answers for some of these due to a feeling that you were answering based on various media rather then media free responses. Like I answered fireflies but I just realized that I don't really hear that round here often and answered based on my time with the last of us I guess.

LOL, I thought of TLOU when the question came up too. I picked fireflies. :P

#30 Edited by Ring_of_fire (15645 posts) -

Boston, Providence, Worcester. Relatively close, as I am in Eastern NY.

Most likely for the use of "Rotary"

#31 Edited by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Closest two are Philadelphia and New York, which is close enough since I live in NJ.

#32 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -

Completely wrong.

Said Yonkers, Jersey City, Newark/Paterson. I've never been anywhere near those place or know anything about those places.

I grew up in Puerto Rico and Florida. South Florida, but NOT Miami.

But i'll be honest, here in South florida there arent any native people or anything like that, its just a whole bunch of random people from all over the US and the World and a bunch of mixed people. There is no Floridian type of talk. Florida is the least southern state out of all the Southerns.

#33 Posted by Shmiity (5013 posts) -

Boston, Providence, Worcester. Probably for use of "Rotary".

#34 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

It gave me Fresno CA, Arlington VA and Augusta GA. I've never been anywhere near any of those places. I grew up in southern Illinois and have lived in the Chicago suburbs for nearly a decade.

#35 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

Santa Rosa CA, Ocean Side CA, and Reno NV. Pretty close, Santa Rosa is only an hour and a half away from my house.

#36 Posted by Shadow4020 (1943 posts) -

Omaha, Lincoln, and Wichita. It's close considering I grew up in Missouri and then moved to Arizona.

The Devil is beating his wife? The hell was that?

#37 Posted by Treflis (11428 posts) -

Clearly not that accurate since It put me in the New York region when I'm actually Norwegian.

=P

#38 Edited by luke1889 (14617 posts) -

I got New York/Jersey City/Yonkers. It's terribly wrong though because I live in the UK. :P

#39 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1746 posts) -

that's pretty nifty.

#40 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

i say pop for soda. That should tell you where i'm from

#41 Posted by chernoalpha527 (117 posts) -

Wow It was pretty dead on I got Baton Rouge(which is where I live), Jackson and New Orleans.

#42 Posted by Big_Pecks (5236 posts) -

Freemont, Corona and San Jose. All in California. Never really equated Ontario to California.

Also everything in the "What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?" question sounds like a vague pagan term.

#43 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6727 posts) -

It says I'm from the New York region, though I'm not even from America.

#44 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Clearly, folks, the quiz is meant for Americans. If you're not American then your results aren't relevant.

#45 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (832 posts) -
@worlock77 said:

Clearly, folks, the quiz is meant for Americans. If you're not American then your results aren't relevant.

Shit, I thought that was a world map.

I took it just for shits n' giggles. I'm from the west coast of Canada, gave me 3 cities in the Northeast, all of them for calling carbonated beverages "pop"

#46 Posted by monkeytoes61 (8328 posts) -

i say pop for soda. That should tell you where i'm from

Where do you live in Washington, friend?

#47 Edited by monkeytoes61 (8328 posts) -

Got Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane. From just south of Seattle, so right on.

#48 Posted by LZ71 (10273 posts) -

Says I'm from around the Lexington area. Fairly close to where I was born (Cincinnati), but still. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

#49 Edited by dave123321 (33628 posts) -