A debate not stirred since 2004's "White Chicks"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

I'll leave you guys to wrestle over this one. Comment or ignore at your own discretion.

can't help but just giggle...smh

Nick Cannon Sparks Internet Debate....apparently

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

looks like he needs a punch to the face

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I will paint my face and/or body how ever the hell I want and that is that.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Hmm. I'd probably be angry about this if I thought Nick Cannon was worth caring about.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

That doesn't offend me at all. If anything, I think it's kind of cool, because it shows just what you can do with makeup.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

If that offends you, then close your eyes baby...

Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And people will have nothing wrong with it.

White guy puts on blackface makeup? THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!

platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 platinumking320

Heinrich Leroy. Bwhahaaahaa!

oh that reminds me..

Loading Video...
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Loading Video...

lmao

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

What's the debate? I honestly don't get it...

I cant remember White Chick's, 10yrs is ages.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I don't have a problem with white face or black face myself. The only problem I have is when people whine about somebody using black face and then saying nothing about someone using white face.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Robert Downey Jr. did it in Tropic Thunder and people laughed.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Meh its incredibly stupid and distasteful that's for sure.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer

@-paranorman- said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Robert Downey Jr. did it in Tropic Thunder and people laughed.

Robert Downey Jr didn't dress up in blackface, he starred in a movie as a character who dresses up in blackface. He probably would have gotten a more negative reaction if he'd appeared in blackface on his social media account to promote Tropic Thunder.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

White people take racism against whites really well. Perhaps some groups should learn from that...

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrGeezer

@junglist101 said:

White people take racism against whites really well. Perhaps some groups should learn from that...

I wouldn't know that from OT, and the frequency of comments complaining about how the white male is being victimized in the name of political correctness. Did we all forget the narrative surrounding the George Zimmerman trial, and how a "white" man was being punished for defending himself simply because he defended himself against a black attacker?

platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 platinumking320

@MrGeezer said:

@junglist101 said:

I wouldn't know that from OT, and the frequency of comments complaining about how the white male is being victimized in the name of political correctness. Did we all forget the narrative surrounding the George Zimmerman trial, and how a "white" man was being punished for defending himself simply because he defended himself against a black attacker?

were you talkin about the comment thread from the huffpost article? Because that was oddly more contentious than I expected, and pretty much what piqued my curiosity about sharing the topic here.

Wanted to see if our community was just as much at odds or largely indifferent.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@XilePrincess said:

That doesn't offend me at all. If anything, I think it's kind of cool, because it shows just what you can do with makeup.

That is impressive.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

I personally don't think black/white face is inherently racist, like a lot of things it all depends on its usage. In this case I do not know how it was used, I have little interest in the life of Nick Cannon no matter what color his skin looks, so I am not clicking that damn link.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

People will spark a debate over nothing. Race needs to stop being such a problem, and honestly, I hear more from racism advocates creating racism where it doesn't exist than actual racists.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PSP107

@SaintLeonidas said:

I personally don't think black/white face is inherently racist, like a lot of things it all depends on its usage. In this case I do not know how it was used, I have little interest in the life of Nick Cannon no matter what color his skin looks, so I am not clicking that damn link.

I looked it up an apparently he's promoting an album titled "White People Party Music,"

So doesn't he get a similar pass Robert Downey Jr got?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19582 Posts

Several points I'd add here:

Firstly, whiteface is not comparable to blackface. Blackface actually has a racist history behind it, whereas whiteface has never had any racist history to it. Whiteface can still be used in a racist manner, but it would be a false equivalence to equate it to blackface.

Secondly, even when it comes to blackface, the intent is what counts. When Robert Downey Jr. wore blackface, he got an Oscar nomination, because the intent was to mock the actor behind the blackface.

And finally, Japan's use of blackface has an entirely different context. Blackface has never had a racist history there like it does in the US (and to an extent, other Western nations). In Japan, blackface is part of the "Ganguro" subculture, where youngsters get fake tans and wear blackface to rebel against Japan's fair-skinned beauty standards.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

I dont think the act of wearing makeup to appear another race is in anyway racist. And while i havent seen white chicks, my understanding is it was a vehicle to perpetuate stereotypes... in which case its pretty damn racist.

In the same way i dont think it was in anyway racist for mac from its always sunny to wear blackface for their lethal weapon episode... but if he sat around eating fried chicken and watermelon.... it woulda been hella racist.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PSP107

@BeardMaster said:

but if he sat around eating fried chicken and watermelon.... it woulda been hella racist.

I actually never understood the association of fried chicken and watermelon among blacks.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I still haven't gotten over the yellowface in Cloud Atlas.... :/

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
@Jag85 said:

And finally, Japan's use of blackface has an entirely different context. Blackface has never had a racist history there like it does in the US (and to an extent, other Western nations). In Japan, blackface is part of the "Ganguro" subculture, where youngsters get fake tans and wear blackface to rebel against Japan's fair-skinned beauty standards.

You really think that video of the Japanese dudes pretending to be black Jazz musicians was related to Ganguro?

Heck, I don't know where you're getting the idea that actual blackface and ganguro are related in general. Ganguro is heavy fake tans and bleached blonde hair.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BeardMaster

@PSP107 said:

@BeardMaster said:

but if he sat around eating fried chicken and watermelon.... it woulda been hella racist.

I actually never understood the association of fried chicken and watermelon among blacks.

Apparently they like those things, but so does everyone else. As to why its a stereotype, i have no idea. The reason i said it, is because its a well known stereotype, i wasnt trying to throw my hat in the ring in terms of being on board with it.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSP107

@BeardMaster said:

@PSP107 said:

@BeardMaster said:

Apparently they like those things, but so does everyone else. As to why its a stereotype, i have no idea. The reason i said it, is because its a well known stereotype, i wasnt trying to throw my hat in the ring in terms of being on board with it.

I forget to mentioned why is it deemed insulting? Any thoughts on that?

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BeardMaster

@PSP107 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@PSP107 said:

@BeardMaster said:

Its just the nature of being classified by race is insulting. For instance asians being good at math is a stereotype, and being good at math is generally considered a very positive attribute. But its an affront to our innate sense of individuality, and not wanting to be classified by superficial characteristics. Whether im white, black, asian etc. im an individual different from others that I share a skintone with, and want to be recognized as such. To presume to know characteristics about me, based on the color of my skin is generally considered insulting. Its more an opposition to the idea of generalizations vs the generalizations themselves.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19582 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

You really think that video of the Japanese dudes pretending to be black Jazz musicians was related to Ganguro?

Heck, I don't know where you're getting the idea that actual blackface and ganguro are related in general. Ganguro is heavy fake tans and bleached blonde hair.

No, I wasn't referring to that video in particular. I'd say they're just ignorant of blackface's racist history in the West more than anything. It's not just blacks either, but I remember another Japanese TV show where a guy used some blackface for an Indian Bollywood dance.

As for Ganguro, a lot of them do go much further than just a heavy fake tan and wear actual blackface. Again, it has nothing to do with making fun of blacks, but more to do with rebelliousness against Japanese fair-skinned beauty ideals.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PSP107
No Caption Provided

@BeardMaster said:

@PSP107 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@PSP107 said:

@BeardMaster said:

Its just the nature of being classified by race is insulting. For instance asians being good at math is a stereotype, and being good at math is generally considered a very positive attribute. But its an affront to our innate sense of individuality, and not wanting to be classified by superficial characteristics. Whether im white, black, asian etc. im an individual different from others that I share a skintone with, and want to be recognized as such. To presume to know characteristics about me, based on the color of my skin is generally considered insulting. Its more an opposition to the idea of generalizations vs the generalizations themselves.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer

@platinumking320 said:

@MrGeezer said:

@junglist101 said:

were you talkin about the comment thread from the huffpost article? Because that was oddly more contentious than I expected, and pretty much what piqued my curiosity about sharing the topic here.

Wanted to see if our community was just as much at odds or largely indifferent.

Nah, I wasn't referring to anything in particular. I'm just saying that it's not particularly uncommon to see some white people playing the victim card. So it's not really valid to say that whites "take racism really well" and other races don't. That's a gross generalization. I think it's fair to say that human history has shown that people need monsters. There's something highly appealing in thinking that we're under attack and are being victimized, because that justifies righteous retribution. It's why we root for the underdog in sports movies, it's why some christians bought into that "war on Christmas" narrative. There's just something appealing about the notion that we're defending our righteous way of life against the bad guys. Sometimes that attitude is totally correct, and sometime we make mountains out of molehills. But it's not like any particular race takes racism well while others don't. That need to fight against an enemy (real or imagined) isn't a racial thing, it's a human thing.

MacaroniMoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MacaroniMoses
Member since 2003 • 682 Posts

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

This.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I never knew he made music.

not_wanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 not_wanted
Member since 2008 • 1990 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Not always.