This topic is locked from further discussion.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

So hey OT, as some of you may have noticed, quote chains have gotten to be somewhat of a nuisance. This is especially true on phones since the formatting creates issues with quotes and you have the quotes being formatted to one or two charters per line, forcing a lot of scrolling.

Now all this has been brought up with the people who can do something about it, so going down the feed back and suggestions board route is redundant.

so in the meantime I think we can help lessen the issues by cutting down our own quote chains to basically just the post we are responding to. Which would also help with the issue of being notified when you are in a quote chain but your part has shifted to irrelevance.

Anyway, that's all.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Also, stop quoting others when you aren't actually talking to them. I'm guilty of it too but it's something we all can work on.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

and how about if someone writes a wall of text, quote the part being addressed and not the whole entire thing for heaven's sake

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@dave123321 said:

So hey OT, as some of you may have noticed, quote chains have gotten to be somewhat of a nuisance. This is especially true on phones since the formatting creates issues with quotes and you have the quotes being formatted to one or two charters per line, forcing a lot of scrolling.

Now all this has been brought up with the people who can do something about it, so going down the feed back and suggestions board route is redundant.

so in the meantime I think we can help lessen the issues by cutting down our own quote chains to basically just the post we are responding to. Which would also help with the issue of being notified when you are in a quote chain but your part has shifted to irrelevance.

Anyway, that's all.

I agree.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

@indzman said:

@dave123321 said:

Anyway, that's all.

I agree.

I concur.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

hell i cant even quote when using mobile. there is no quote button. only "reply" and "flag"

so if i actually really feel like quoting, i have to use my laptop.

i mainly use mobile now, since i recently got my Galaxy S5 (a huge upgrade from my Galaxy S1). wish they would update the site so mobile users could have the same access as desktop users have.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@dave123321:

One trick to avoid scrolling on your phone is to just click a reply button as it takes you down to the bottom instantly.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I do that all the time. People should really cut those chains 'cause sometimes you stay involved in a conversation while that conversation no longer concerns you.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

That's a very useful tip, thanks

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@airshocker said:

Also, stop quoting others when you aren't actually talking to them. I'm guilty of it too but it's something we all can work on.

I agree with Dave.

Too easy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Is it just me or since the redesign it's become much harder to reduce quote chains? You can't just backspace it away or highlight all the part you want to delete. You have to hover your mouse over the quote until a little tool bar pops up and a lot of the time it doesn't even work. Also when you edit anything in a quote it won't let you exit that quote unless you've already typed something outside of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@SaintLeonidas said:

@airshocker said:

I agree with Dave.

Too easy.

I think I'm going to mention you in every single post I make today.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I posted in Tech Support about having quotes automatically cut after say two but a mod said they didn't want to moderate for that. Not sure what having the forums themselves remove quotes has to do with that....but that is the answer I got.

I do edit quotes when they get too long...but sometimes it erases the whole damn quote chain and doesn't keep the last one or two. Sucks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@LJS9502_basic said:

I posted in Tech Support about having quotes automatically cut after say two but a mod said they didn't want to moderate for that. Not sure what having the forums themselves remove quotes has to do with that....but that is the answer I got.

I do edit quotes when they get too long...but sometimes it erases the whole damn quote chain and doesn't keep the last one or two. Sucks.

The mods in System Wars do it. Quote chains can't exceed four. Not a bad idea for OT.

@SaintLeonidas

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@airshocker said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

The mods in System Wars do it. Quote chains can't exceed four. Not a bad idea for OT.

Didn't even know that.....and I post there sometimes. Good to know....

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@airshocker said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@airshocker said:

I agree with Dave.

Too easy.

I think I'm going to mention you in every single post I make today.

Luckily my notifications aren't working today...though I dread to see the moment they return.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#25 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Alt+Z and try again, not too hard =)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I've been cutting down quote chains for close to 8 years now.

Before the switch over to the new system, they had an automatic quote-cutter in place that limited posts to 4 quote and a post. Not sure why they couldn't impliment... oh wait, I know exactly why they can't.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
@dave123321 said:

Not necessarily

This would be brought to the attention of site technicians better if done on that forum who can then implement changes affecting the entire website rather than giving users extra work to make a comment nice and neat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#30 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@dave123321: Sorry people are acting like dicks (I realise you guys are having fun, but poor Dave =P). I agree with you and there's few things here quite as annoying as huge quote chains, especially when there's nothing really being discussed.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I don't use Gamespot on a phone, only on a computer so I don't know how it looks on a phone. But yeah the quote chains are longer now, I think it's because its harder to delete out parts of the quote that you don't want. Back in the old days it was easy, all I had to do was highlight the parts of text I wanted to get rid of and then hit backspace, now that doesn't work for me so I end up just quoting the whole thing.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

This is gonna be hard to explain but I'll try..
Say there are 3 quotes. You hover over the one in the center, click delete, and it goes away. If after that you go straight for the second quote (which is now the center one), it'll delete the whole thing. Because while you think you have the center selected, it actually automatically selects the outer one, at does that after each deletion. So simply just move the cursor outside of the reply box then back again towards the center quote after each deletion.
Did that make any sense at all?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@harry_james_pot said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

This is gonna be hard to explain but I'll try..

Say there are 3 quotes. You hover over the one in the center, click delete, and it goes away. If after that you go straight for the second quote (which is now the center one), it'll delete the whole thing. Because while you think you have the center selected, it actually automatically selects the outer one, at does that after each deletion. So simply just move the cursor outside of the reply box then back again towards the center quote after each deletion.

Did that make any sense at all?

That is easier....thanks.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

A gave up on trying to scroll through all those quote chains, it takes to long and my thumb gets tired. Anyway never complain about things to people, they just do it more once they know it pisses you off.