80s vs 90s (POLL). Which was better IYO?

• 78 results
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll 80s vs 90s (POLL). Which was better IYO? (68 votes)

80s was better. Rock and Roll, Nuff said 24%
90s all the way. Golden Age of gaming. 65%
12%

So, which is better?

• 
elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Who said the 90s was the golden age of gaming ?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

@elkoldo said:

Many have said it. IT launched 3D gaming, also "Improved" so called 2D platformers.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts
@outworld222 said:

@elkoldo said:

Many have said it. IT launched 3D gaming, also "Improved" so called 2D platformers.

That I can't deny, but 2000-2005 (PS2's life) has been the golden age imo.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@elkoldo said:

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
@elkoldo said:

The nostalgia cunts who grew up in the 90's.

5 years from now we're gonna hear the same thing about the 00's.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@elkoldo said:

1997 - 2000 (inclusive) is when PC Gaming reigned supreme without question.....consoles took over after that.

PC Gaming had amazing games during that period, their influence stillstands today. It was the era of 3Dfx, Windows 95 and CD-Roms.

At least 20 outstanding titles in each of those 4 years....made for PC gaming first and foremost.

That being said the 80's were better overall for me, but I may be biased because thats when I was growing up.

But I also think others will be biased as well, because many here didn't even live in the 80's. I can say I lived through both decades in their entirety.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@elkoldo said:
@outworld222 said:

@elkoldo said:

Ha, I spoke too soon.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 outworld222

@elkoldo said:
@outworld222 said:

@elkoldo said:

Well, those are all subjective opinions. Mine included. To each his own I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Blank is the winner.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18794 Posts

@AFBrat77 said:

@elkoldo said:

But I also think others will be biased as well, because many here didn't even live in the 80's. I can say I lived through both decades in their entirety.

Yea but if you were born in the 80's, you can't judge.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

80's in terms of culture and 90's in everything else. 90s was the tail end of America and all sucked after.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AFBrat77

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@elkoldo said:

I was born in the 60's

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PSP107

@AFBrat77 said:

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@elkoldo said:

I was born in the 60's

1.liar

2. What was the 70's like? Or were you born in 1969?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By outworld222

@TheWalkingGhost said:

80's in terms of culture and 90's in everything else. 90s was the tail end of America and all sucked after.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost said:

leonluvwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 leonluvwow
Member since 2014 • 28 Posts

prefer 80 cuz i love Rock n Roll

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

80s is too cheesy for me, plus I never experienced it.

I have fond (nostalgia tinted to hell and back) memories of the 90s and earl 00s. All the cartoons, first experiences with games, just being a 5-10 year old brat and not caring about a single thing. Many people say how life is easy when you're a kid because you don't have to worry, I don't believe that, you have plenty of your own worries (like what mom's gonna do when she founds out all the stuff you failed in school), you just don't care as much. You're petrified for a day, then the next you get with your friends and just have fun. It's just simpler. None of the doubts, the ruminations, expectations etc. you start getting in your mid-late teens.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AFBrat77

#

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@elkoldo said:

I was born in the 60's

1.liar

2. What was the 70's like? Or were you born in 1969?

1. Don't call someone a liar when they aren't lying.

2. What part of the 70's do you want to know about? The first half is quite different then the 2nd half. I was born in 1961, so I turned 9 in August 1970. I remember the 70's well. Despite Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Yes, Rod Stewart (before he was a sellout), peak Queen, and the singer/songwriter invasion, the best 70's music was 70's soul (not disco!) like Earth, Wind, and Fire, Marvin Gaye, Ohio Players, The Stylistics, the Chi-Lites et all, and also funkier stuff like Sly and the Family Stone, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Commodores. The late 70's brought in disco and punk, hated the former, loved the latter, a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed the soundtrack of Guardians of the Galaxy, I remember every song in it from back then. I never thought I'd hear "Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone ever again.

In the late 70's we watched Happy Days, Mork and Mindy (RIP Robin Williams), Starsky and Hutch, Charlies Angels, shows like that. In the early 70's as a kid i watched syndicated Star Trek, Ultraman, Speed Racer, Wacky Races. In the 1970's we could go outside all day without worry of pedophiles so much, much different era, no computers so we played baseball, football, kickball, army, building tree forts, seems much more fun than what kids do nowadays. Outside with friends all the time.

In my early teens I collected comic books worth a fortune these days, including the Spider-man that introduced the world to The Punisher, Hulk issue that introduced Wolverine, etc. In the late 1970's I bought Amazing Spider-Man 2 for $60, still have it.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Prefer 80s culture but like 90s tech(games, computers, etc).

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I was a teenager in the early 90s and music has steadily gone downhill since then. Rock and Roll seems to have died. I f*cking hate Pop music...

I'll take the Seattle grunge music from the 90s over the 80s synth music any day.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AFBrat77

@bforrester420 said:

I was a teenager in the early 90s and music has steadily gone downhill since then. Rock and Roll seems to have died. I f*cking hate Pop music...

I'll take the Seattle grunge music from the 90s over the 80s synth music any day.

The 80's had fantastic underground bands that set up that Grunge sound, and some great experimental bands. Keep in mind that bands like Cocteau Twins, Sonic Youth, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Butthole Surfers (haha), The Pixies, early REM, English Beat, Bad Brains, Gang of Four, The Jam, New Order, Metallica, Megadeth etc. etc. etc. were all in the 80's first and foremost. Man, its great thinking back on those days. Look up some of those bands.

MTV played videos in the 80's!

Yes, the synth music was there in spades in the 80's, but look underneath that plastic surface and there were LOTS of great underground/post-punk bands!

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PSP107

@AFBrat77:

2. What part of the 70's do you want to know about? The first half is quite different then the 2nd half. I was born in 1961, so I turned 9 in August 1970. I remember the 70's well. Despite Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Yes, Rod Stewart (before he was a sellout), peak Queen, and the singer/songwriter invasion, the best 70's music was 70's soul (not disco!) like Earth, Wind, and Fire, Marvin Gaye, Ohio Players, The Stylistics, the Chi-Lites et all, and also funkier stuff like Sly and the Family Stone, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Commodores. The late 70's brought in disco and punk, hated the former, loved the latter, a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed the soundtrack of Guardians of the Galaxy, I remember every song in it from back then. I never thought I'd hear "Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone ever again.

In the late 70's we watched Happy Days, Mork and Mindy (RIP Robin Williams), Starsky and Hutch, Charlies Angels, shows like that. In the early 70's as a kid i watched syndicated Star Trek, Ultraman, Speed Racer, Wacky Races. In the 1970's we could go outside all day without worry of pedophiles so much, much different era, no computers so we played baseball, football, kickball, army, building tree forts, seems much more fun than what kids do nowadays. Outside with friends all the time.

In my early teens I collected comic books worth a fortune these days, including the Spider-man that introduced the world to The Punisher, Hulk issue that introduced Wolverine, etc. In the late 1970's I bought Amazing Spider-Man 2 for $60, still have it.

1. lol, " Don't call someone a liar when they aren't lying." can I borrow that line?

2. Interesting. I would think pedophiles go back to the start of life. What was school like?

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

90s are less weird than 80s

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AFBrat77

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77:

1. lol, " Don't call someone a liar when they aren't lying." can I borrow that line?

2. Interesting. I would think pedophiles go back to the start of life. What was school like?

1. Point is, don't be so quick to call someone a liar before you know the facts.

2. Pedophiles have always been around, but they weren't so prevalent. Not sure you were serious about the school question, similar subjects to today, basic computing classes were taught in high school in the late 70's. Geography of course was much different, when I joined the U.S. Air Force in 1980 we were in a cold war with the now defunct (despite Putins' wishes) U.S.S.R. During war games while I was stationed in England we were preparing mostly for chemical attacks by the Soviets.

For me of course the 1980's were great years, had lots of fun then, and we weren't tied to computers and cel phones, which was a good thing. I still haven't bothered getting a smart phone, there is no need. I like the internet and the idea of a cel phone, but I also like not having to depend on them.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I grew up in the 80's so I would have to go with that decade I loved the music,videogames and clothes from the 80's.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

meh, I barely qualify as living in the 90s, I wasn't even in double digits when 2000 rolled around, but I'd probably agree with the 90s.

@Iszdope said:

90s - sex, drugs & heavy metal.

I think you meant 80s if you're looking for heavy metal.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

@Iszdope: I sense an imminent disagreement. Perhaps we should stop talking about this.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PSP107

@AFBrat77 said:

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77:

1. Point is, don't be so quick to call someone a liar before you know the facts.

2. Pedophiles have always been around, but they weren't so prevalent. Not sure you were serious about the school question, similar subjects to today, basic computing classes were taught in high school in the late 70's. Geography of course was much different, when I joined the U.S. Air Force in 1980 we were in a cold war with the now defunct (despite Putins' wishes) U.S.S.R. During war games while I was stationed in England we were preparing mostly for chemical attacks by the Soviets.

For me of course the 1980's were great years, had lots of fun then, and we weren't tied to computers and cel phones, which was a good thing. I still haven't bothered getting a smart phone, there is no need. I like the internet and the idea of a cel phone, but I also like not having to depend on them.

1. I guess I didn't expect someone in their 50's to be here.

2. Well the requirements to graduate grammar/high school seemed to always change.

I don't have a smartphone either(still might finally upgrade someday) but to be fair to it and computers/tablets, its just another advancement of staying connected to family/friends and the outside world. Cellphones isn't new as the 80's had them. Its just now widely accessible. I doubt many 10 year olds had portable phones in the 80's.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@elkoldo said:

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

I realize that MOST of you are 90s kids here..IM NOT..I have 2 boys 18 and 20 and they recognize how incredible the 80s were. Especially considering pretty much EVERYTHING you like was brought about in the 80s. I know i wont change anyones minds here and thats not really my intentions. BUT you need to research and see just how incredible the 80s truly were. AND remember,ive grown up in the 90s and 2k's being up on all things "hip"..AGAIN,nothing touches the 80s.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

Bands were better in the 80's. Better songs, better musicians. That's not to say the 90's didn't have some good ones. But you didn't see musicianship quality across grunge bands as you did with 80's rock/metal bands. 90's music sorta took a step backwards in that regard. I wasn't that impressed with 00's either.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

I was born in 1974....

70's was so nostalgic to me... everyone was so young... still alive.... wearing bellbottom and miniskirt........ and I watch black and white TV that have wooden sliding door and dial-up channel ... broadcast only start at 5pm daily and 3pm weekly... .......(imagine watching "MONDO CANE" documentary)

80's ... things are in colour... .... start schooling .... armpit deodorant are yet to be introduce ... yuck...stinky .... people start getting sexier on tv.... thanks to 80's radical antihero fashion ..... watching live telecast the wedding of prince charles and lady diana. Some people still tune-in radio for football match ... lol ...

90's .... end of schooling era .... left family for college in big city.... grunge kill glamrock ...thank gowd .... first job ....... start travel around the world ........ mid 90's internet ...... found videogames.com

but i think i enjoy 80's the most ... everything are so innocent....... yet to unleash my demon

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AFBrat77

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77:

1. I guess I didn't expect someone in their 50's to be here.

2. Well the requirements to graduate grammar/high school seemed to always change.

I don't have a smartphone either(still might finally upgrade someday) but to be fair to it and computers/tablets, its just another advancement of staying connected to family/friends and the outside world. Cellphones isn't new as the 80's had them. Its just now widely accessible. I doubt many 10 year olds had portable phones in the 80's.

1. There are others in their 50's here, but I can understand that. For most here, this is largely a biased topic for those who never lived a day in the 1980's, unless the submersed themselves in the retro.

2. The requirements for graduation DID change, that is true. Cel phones are good for staying connected, no question, but hardly anyone had true Cel phones til at least the late 80's (most were still using cordless phones), especially not 10 year olds. And rampant PC use did not start until the release of Windows '95. Then, suddenly, it seemed everyone had them by 1996. PC Gaming began its Golden Age by 1997 with 3dfx cards, Windows '95 native games, and CD-Roms at the fore.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AFBrat77

@hippiesanta said:

I was born in 1974....

70's was so nostalgic to me... everyone was so young... still alive.... wearing bellbottom and miniskirt........ and I watch black and white TV that have wooden sliding door and dial-up channel ... broadcast only start at 5pm daily and 3pm weekly... .......(imagine watching "MONDO CANE" documentary)

80's ... things are in colour... .... start schooling .... armpit deodorant are yet to be introduce ... yuck...stinky .... people start getting sexier on tv.... thanks to 80's radical antihero fashion ..... watching live telecast the wedding of prince charles and lady diana. Some people still tune-in radio for football match ... lol ...

90's .... end of schooling era .... left family for college in big city.... grunge kill glamrock ...thank gowd .... first job ....... start travel around the world ........ mid 90's internet ...... found videogames.com

but i think i enjoy 80's the most ... everything are so innocent....... yet to unleash my demon

We don't always agree on everything hippie but you described the 70's very well. I was 12 when you were born, and 1974 was a great year for me, living in Germany then, had my first gf ("You Make me feel brand new" and 1975's "Lady" by Styx remind me of her), skipping school, making out with my gf up around the ruins of a castle on a hill overlooking a German town lots of great memories of that year and 1975. Listening to Casey Kasim American Top 40 every Saturday. Like I said before the soundtrack from Guardians brought back some great 70's stuff.

80's had MTV with videos all the time (much better), though they tended to play Huey Lewis and the News, Duran Duran, Madonna, and Bruce Springsteen a little too much. 120 minutes was a great MTV show for alternative. Back then we went to dance clubs and danced without grinding all the time. Music seemed much more diverse, but albums were giving way to CD's, which i guess is a good thing.....maybe. Kinda liked my albums though. Parachute pants, girls and some dudes had BIG hair.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

@AFBrat77 said:

@hippiesanta said:

I was born in 1974....

We don't always agree on everything hippie but you described the 70's very well. I was 12 when you were born, and 1974 was a great year for me, living in Germany then, had my first gf ("You Make me feel brand new" and 1975's "Lady" by Styx remind me of her), skipping school, making out with my gf up around the ruins of a castle on a hill overlooking a German town lots of great memories of that year and 1975. Listening to Casey Kasim American Top 40 every Saturday. Like I said before the soundtrack from Guardians brought back some great 70's stuff.

80's had MTV with videos all the time (much better), though they tended to play Huey Lewis and the News, Duran Duran, Madonna, and Bruce Springsteen a little too much. 120 minutes was a great MTV show for alternative. Back then we went to dance clubs and danced without grinding all the time. Music seemed much more diverse, but albums were giving way to CD's, which i guess is a good thing.....maybe. Kinda liked my albums though. Parachute pants, girls and some dudes had BIG hair.

There's something I miss about putting on vinyl and listening to it. It was more of an event. Now everything is digital and listening to music is not the event it once was. Just dial it up on your phone...no big deal. Even cd's were somewhat of an event....but not so much with mp3's etc...

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts

I think the 80's seem pretty cool. But my fondest memories are from the 90's. So i vote for the 90's.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PSP107

@edwise18 said:

I think the 80's seem pretty cool. But my fondest memories are from the 90's. So i vote for the 90's.

What decade you were born?

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@edwise18 said:

80's

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PSP107

@edwise18 said:

@PSP107 said:

@edwise18 said:

80's

So that means you cant really judge the 80's.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Iszdope said:

90s - sex, drugs & shitty grunge metal

Heavy Metal went through a tough spell in the 90s thanks to the rising popularity of shitty grunge metal bands.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PSP107

@thehig1 said:

@Iszdope said:

Heavy Metal went through a tough spell in the 90s thanks to the rising popularity of shitty grunge metal bands.

I think you metal heads are the biggest whiners(maybe not whiners). It seems you people hated everything such as disco, pop, rap and so on.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

OTers are mostly voing for 90s simply because that's when most of them have spent their childhood./ nostalgia.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thehig1

@Iszdope said:

@thehig1 said:

@Iszdope said:

Black, Doom, Grind, Industrial and Death Metal disagree.

**** grunge.

yeah good music in those genres, but heavy metal is its own genre and it had a tough time in the 90s

And yeah **** grunge

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thehig1

@Iszdope said:

@thehig1 said:

@Iszdope said:

@thehig1 said:

@Iszdope said:

Black, Doom, Grind, Industrial and Death Metal disagree.

**** grunge.

yeah good music in those genres, but heavy metal is its own genre and it had a tough time in the 90s

And yeah **** grunge

Yeah, shoulda put extreme metal.

Woops.

Groove metal also hit in the 90s :) its when Pantera decided to start playing some good music and stop the hair glam stuff they were doing in the 80s.