70% percent of the world's people live in countries without freedom of religion

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I heard that around 70% of the It's estimated that 70 percent of the world's population live in countries with high or very high restrictions on religion.

The U.S. has a law that is supposed to help promote religious liberty worldwide, but this law needs to be renewed as it expires in a few months. Also the current law created a government commission to expose countries who violate people's religious rights and recommend them to State Department to take action on.

However "Here's the problem. Although USCIRF has recommended to the State Department several Countries of Particular Concern (CPC), those countries that are the worst violators of religious liberties, inaction by the State Department has been a persistent problem.

Under the Obama Administration, the State Department has failed to designate a single CPC. Likewise, the Obama Administration has failed to take specific actions against countries that continually violate religious freedoms."

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/faithandjustice/2011/06/an-international-push-for-religious-freedom.html#ixzz1PDO9FjGQ

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

America: World Police Force.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 whipassmt

Blue-Sky

This isn't about using military force to police the world. It's about diplomatic efforts, and perhaps sanctions.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

whipassmt

This isn't about using military force to police the world. It's about diplomatic efforts, and perhaps sanctions.

America: World Diplomat Force.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

supa_badman

We already have diplomatic relations with most countries. We might as well use them to advance the cause of human rights, no?

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

I wish we'd stay out of other countries' affairs.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Obama not focusing on what other countries are doing? Sounds like a good thing to me.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I wish all of NATO and the EU would be a bit more proactive as a whole. While I disagree with some of the things the US government does, human freedom and human rights are things we should all strive to achieve throughout the world.

KeitekeTokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 KeitekeTokage
Member since 2011 • 770 Posts

[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] This isn't about using military force to police the world. It's about diplomatic efforts, and perhaps sanctions.

whipassmt

We already have diplomatic relations with most countries. We might as well use them to advance the cause of human rights, no?

How about we first make sure that no one could be killed for not believing any of it at all? Or wait no that's not important, let just make sure they can practice other stuff first. But honestly, we should just stay out of their business, we cant control everything. Trying to do this would create a real mess. But I agree they should be allowed to practice religion freely, I just don't know how effectively we would be able to change this.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Blue-Sky
yeeeaaaahhh that doesn't really fit here.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Obama not focusing on what other countries are doing? Sounds like a good thing to me.Ace6301
Agreed. We could use more politicians like him. Humanitarian efforts are great, don't get me wrong. But they have no place in politics.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Obama not focusing on what other countries are doing? Sounds like a good thing to me.Ace6301
Libya what?
Kimimaro_DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kimimaro_DS
Member since 2011 • 129 Posts
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Serraph105

Yeah, but it was a good try.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I think freedom of religion is a basic human right that no one should infringe. I'm very pacifist but I believe that everyone deserves that right, and that doing nothing when you can is almost as bad as causing the oppression yourself.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
And if the people in those countries want it, they will fight for it. Just like we did. Imposing our ideologies on foreign nations is just like an authoritarian regime imposing one interpretation of religion on its people.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Serraph105

Indeed. There are quite a few people in power in the States trying to reverse the whole idea of "one people, many ideas." Funny thing is though, America was founded by a bunch of religiously obsessed Deists... but unlike their modern contemporaries, they rejected superstition and coercion.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
our war machine does not back this statement
HT89488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 HT89488
Member since 2010 • 1229 Posts
[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Obama not focusing on what other countries are doing? Sounds like a good thing to me.DivergeUnify
Libya what?

I was just going to say this when I read their ignorance.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="Ace6301"]Obama not focusing on what other countries are doing? Sounds like a good thing to me.HT89488
Libya what?

I was just going to say this when I read their ignorance.

Last I checked Libya was never a focus and it's pretty much a non-issue now. The fact is if Obama WAS intervening in other countries affairs with this program mentioned the same people would still be complaining. Libya was a NATO thing and the US intervening there is a neutral choice at worst and any other leader would have done the same thing. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. There's a constantly moving goal post here I see.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] This isn't about using military force to police the world. It's about diplomatic efforts, and perhaps sanctions.

whipassmt

America : Trying to force it's beliefs on others since...forever.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Malaysia found this
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
This seems like a job for the UN not the US
Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

say what you will about the US, but at least i can openly believe in whatever the hell i want to believe in.

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

Blue-Sky

This, it's not our job to police the world.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

It's always been obvious that you're obsessed with making Obama and the Democrat party look bad, but of all the arguments one could use to attack the administration with, "failure to give religious freedom to 4.5 billion extranationals" has simply got to be one of the very worst.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I heard that around 70% of the It's estimated that 70 percent of the world's population live in countries with high or very high restrictions on religion.

The U.S. has a law that is supposed to help promote religious liberty worldwide, but this law needs to be renewed as it expires in a few months. Also the current law created a government commission to expose countries who violate people's religious rights and recommend them to State Department to take action on.

However "Here's the problem. Although USCIRF has recommended to the State Department several Countries of Particular Concern (CPC), those countries that are the worst violators of religious liberties, inaction by the State Department has been a persistent problem.

Under the Obama Administration, the State Department has failed to designate a single CPC. Likewise, the Obama Administration has failed to take specific actions against countries that continually violate religious freedoms."

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/faithandjustice/2011/06/an-international-push-for-religious-freedom.html#ixzz1PDO9FjGQ

whipassmt

It would prob be in Americas best interest to deal with its own right wing religious extremists before trying to fix other countires problems.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#27 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Stay the hell out of other countries' business.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
indeed
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

America should probably concentrate on freedom from religion first.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
What does this have to do with America? The U.S should take care of themselves first.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#31 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

What does this have to do with America? The U.S should take care of themselves first.m25105

I agree.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Fun Fact: the Worlds first Secular nation was the Mongolian Empire. Pagans, Christians, Muslims, etc. All lived in harmony (becasue there where consequences for those who didn't)

Ontopic though: Why am I not suprised?

EDIT: added what I forgot to add :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

A big portion of that is probably China.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

F*** 'em. I don't care if people who aren't me get religious freedom.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

I'm confused, how can the U.S. create a law that enforces "other countries" to abide by said law? That doesn't make sense.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 surrealnumber5

I'm confused, how can the U.S. create a law that enforces "other countries" to abide by said law? That doesn't make sense.

lowkey254

war, we start them all the time even when we dont call them war and they are not sanctioned and are unconstitutional, for example: our latest government toppling expedition.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts
does that include the US, because Rastafarians believe ganja is a religious sacrament and they're prohibited from consuming it by US law
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Palantas

does that include the US, because Rastafarians believe ganja is a religious sacrament and they're prohibited from consuming it by US lawlamprey263

Yes, if anyone doesn't get their way as far as their religion is concerned, it means the country in which they reside doesn't have religious freedom. Good point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
does that include the US, because Rastafarians believe ganja is a religious sacrament and they're prohibited from consuming it by US lawlamprey263
there are some religions that get exceptions for drug use. I know there are some native american tribes that are allowed to use drugs for certain ceremonies.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 foxhound_fox
This seems like a job for the UN not the USDiablo-B
The UN... do something productive? :lol: I'm sorry, but the UN has no affective power in the world. They are a figurehead organization. Saudi Arabia has a seat on the Human Rights Council (despite being one of the worst human rights violators in the world), and Canada lost its seat on the Security Council to Portugal (because Portugal is a weak, manipulatable country that can be easily moved towards a particular veto decision). They are as worthless as the League of Nations. You know, the group that was made to keep Germany in check after WWI, and ended up doing absolutely nothing, allowing Hitler to rise to power and nearly take over the world.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Palantas

there are some religions that get exceptions for drug use. I know there are some native american tribes that are allowed to use drugs for certain ceremonies.sonicare

As a member of the American Motorcycle Association and the Fellowship of the Open Road, I feel I should get an excemption from stop signs.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]there are some religions that get exceptions for drug use. I know there are some native american tribes that are allowed to use drugs for certain ceremonies.Palantas

As a member of the American Motorcycle Association and the Fellowship of the Open Road, I feel I should get an excemption from stop signs.

Do you have loads of tattoos and a beard like the guys in Sons of Anarchy?

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Palantas

Do you have loads of tattoos and a beard like the guys in Sons of Anarchy?

tenaka2

No, I just want to disobey traffic laws and say it's a part of my religion.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#44 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Right now, America's freedom of religion is in jeopardy with all the many restrictions that are in place and with all the atheist activists that are pushing religion to the churches. Fix the problems here before we get the problems elsewhere.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Right now, America's freedom of religion is in jeopardy with all the many restrictions that are in place and with all the atheist activists that are pushing religion to the churches. Fix the problems here before we get the problems elsewhere.CycleOfViolence

I see no issue with religion being pushed back to the churches. Isn't that where it belongs?

nope it belongs out in the open, anywhere that is not the state. i am not religious but for those who are they should not be pushed or corralled anywhere because of their views or opinions, that whole free religion free speech thing.

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

[QUOTE="CycleOfViolence"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Right now, America's freedom of religion is in jeopardy with all the many restrictions that are in place and with all the atheist activists that are pushing religion to the churches. Fix the problems here before we get the problems elsewhere.surrealnumber5

I see no issue with religion being pushed back to the churches. Isn't that where it belongs?

nope it belongs out in the open, anywhere that is not the state. i am not religious but for those who are they should not be pushed or corralled anywhere because of their views or opinions, that whole free religion free speech thing.

Yep I kinda let that slip from my mind when I wrote that. My mistake :P

And I would have gotten away with it to if it wasnt for you meddling kid surreal :x

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Palantas

surrealnumber5

I dunno about that. I've learned from reading this forum that private, Christian schools are "arrogant" for referencing God and engaging in prayer in their own graduation ceremonies.

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Yeah. They can do what they want. Let's stay out of other's affairs. ;)
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="CycleOfViolence"]

CycleOfViolence

Yep I kinda let that slip from my mind when I wrote that. My mistake :P

And I would have gotten away with it to if it wasnt for you meddling kid surreal :x

**** i have a kid, where is raw's boot when you need it