55 year old Homeless Man carries 2 Masters and a PhD.

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eNPAH46oI8

Another sucker who felt for the education bubble.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

What are the degrees in?

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By loco145

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

What are the degrees in?

He has a PhD in Plasma Physics from Dartmouth College, and a masters in Electrical Engineering and acoustics from Purdue University.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I never associate being homeless with attributions like social class, education, financial situation...etc. In today's world, unless you're living in Somalia and maybe China, its practically impossible to find yourself in a situation where you have no other place to sleep but on the street. Even in the worst third world countries you'll find a mosque or a church that would take you in.

Being a hobo is you telling yourself and the world I give up on it all, **** it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GazaAli
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

What are the degrees in?

Something along the lines of "art" and "LGBT studies" lol

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 loco145

@GazaAli said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

What are the degrees in?

Why bothering to answer if you didn't even saw the video?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GazaAli

@loco145 said:

@GazaAli said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

What are the degrees in?

Why bothering to answer if you didn't even saw the video?

Relax bro that was just a troll post.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

@GazaAli: You could be homeless one day, see how it feels like then, everyone has a good chance of being homeless. The rich get richer walking all over the poor by drowning them in debt while they fill their bellies with greed and suffering.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli

@ultimate-k said:

@GazaAli: You could be homeless one day, see how it feels like then, everyone has a good chance of being homeless. The rich get richer walking all over the poor by drowning them in debt while they fill their bellies with greed and suffering.

I never said anything about social justice. No matter how unjust and inegalitarian a state socially is, the disparities and the gap between the rich and the poor will never, at least in today's world, be of such severity as to leave someone with no other choice than becoming a hobo. I'm not saying the alternatives are necessarily humane and honorable to a fellow human, but they're always going to be better than being homeless no?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Chances are he chose not to do anything with those degrees.

But in his current state, i wouldn't hire him either. He needs a shower and a change of clothes.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

How did he fall for the education bubble, he worked in a field that requires education

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nibroc420

@lostrib said:

How did he fall for the education bubble, he worked in a field that requires education

He actually only went to school for it.

Plasma Physics isn't something someone goes homeless for. It pays quite well.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I'd bet there's more to the story...

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

This is I constantly tell people you don't need to go to college, and an education doesn't actually equate to a job.

I personally think University is a waste of time. I only attended because Uncle Sam is paying for it like 95%.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Fightingfan said:

This is I constantly tell people you don't need to go to college, and an education doesn't actually equate to a job.

I personally think University is a waste of time. I only attended because Uncle Sam is paying for it like 95%.

considering the line of work he ended up in, he did need to go to school

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

There was no bubble 30 years ago. Back then people could afford college just by working summer jobs. This guy said he went broke taking care of his ill parents. That assumes he is telling the truth.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

@loco145 said:

Maybe he LIKED studying them?

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

I'm with Rev, there's something this guy isn't telling us. it's like that "homeless man with the golden voice" story. people thought that guy was just down on his luck, until after he got a job people did some research, and realized he was a complete d-bag who put himself in that position.

either way, i wish him the best.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Degrees aren't helpful to someone that fell so far.

Also, yes, education is overrated. Street smarts are where it's at, G boy jones.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

It would be nice to know the full story instead of just "he has multiple degrees and is homeless." For all we know nobody was hiring him because he is a convicted felon or some other similar black mark (Debra Lafave has a degree to teach but she can't use it being a registered sex offender and all). Not saying he is, but there could have been plenty of other reasons he isn't employed not related to his degrees possibly being useless.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

most people in Gaza are homeless ... em me right gaza ali ??

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#23 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The responses in this thread are ridiculous. Watch the video and then respond. Christ

I have respect for that man for sacrificing so much for his parents. That video was posted in 2011, so hopefully he has a new job by now and a home of his own.

xrockerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 xrockerboy
Member since 2013 • 51 Posts

some people are gonna use this example as "screw it why do i need education then?" when in reality this actually shows you how competitive the world is today :( the way the world works should definitely change ASAP.

xrockerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xrockerboy
Member since 2013 • 51 Posts

@Fightingfan: thats wat everyone is saying but thats how the world works unfortunately, no college degree = work in places like Mcdonalds or ure fast food restaurant. Bill gates and all those inspiring stories dont count

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@GazaAli said:

I never associate being homeless with attributions like social class, education, financial situation...etc. In today's world, unless you're living in Somalia and maybe China, its practically impossible to find yourself in a situation where you have no other place to sleep but on the street. Even in the worst third world countries you'll find a mosque or a church that would take you in.

Being a hobo is you telling yourself and the world I give up on it all, **** it.

I wish that were true. Come to Toronto, I'll show you plenty of homeless people.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@ultimate-k said:

I never said anything about social justice. No matter how unjust and inegalitarian a state socially is, the disparities and the gap between the rich and the poor will never, at least in today's world, be of such severity as to leave someone with no other choice than becoming a hobo. I'm not saying the alternatives are necessarily humane and honorable to a fellow human, but they're always going to be better than being homeless no?

In America that holds some truth.

A woman can walk into any women and children shelter, but if you're a man you're SOL.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

If he was in a modern Asian metropolis, he'd be a millionaire.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GazaAli

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli said:

I wish that were true. Come to Toronto, I'll show you plenty of homeless people.

I'm sure there are homeless people there, but are they homeless because they really don't have anywhere else to go? Bear in mind that my definition of homeless here is strictly the state of actually living in the streets, not the reality that you don't or can't afford any sort of your own place anymore.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GazaAli

@Fightingfan said:

@GazaAli said:

@ultimate-k said:

In America that holds some truth.

A woman can walk into any women and children shelter, but if you're a man you're SOL.

I'm sure there are homeless shelters that take in male hobos...

Praisedasun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Praisedasun
Member since 2013 • 504 Posts

You are right,people shouldn't be educated,cause they might become homeless one day.

We should all smoke weed all day long and screw university.

Some of you make me sick.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nibroc420

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 loco145

@Praisedasun said:

You are right,people shouldn't be educated,cause they might become homeless one day.

We should all smoke weed all day long and screw university.

Some of you make me sick.

Yeah, I agree.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GazaAli

@Nibroc420 said:

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to **** off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

I really have a hard time believing this. Do you perhaps have a source for these claims?

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deeliman

@GazaAli said:

@Nibroc420 said:

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to **** off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

Seeing as you live in Gaza, have you ever experienced a freezing night?

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GazaAli

@deeliman said:

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

Unfortunately no. The weather in here is always warm. Its sunny most of the year. I despise the sun and the heat, I'm more of a winter/cold person. I spend most of the winter with the same clothes I spend the summer with. The lowest it gets here is like 10'C which only happens at the nights of the absolutely coldest days of the winter. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Even when everyone around me is shivering and complaining about how cold it is, I be wearing a t-shirt out in the open, day or night doesn't matter, I'll also be getting those looks O_O as people here have very low tolerance to cold weather.

For me there's nothing like a constantly cloudy and cold weather. As long as the sun doesn't show up I'm all jolly. I'm not sure exactly how to put it, but there's something about the cold and the clouds that instantly relaxes me and puts me in this calm and meditating state. If I wake up to find that the weather is cloudy, my mood is momentarily made just right for the rest of the day. No matter what happens throughout such a day, I manage to stay that way.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deeliman

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

Unfortunately no. The weather in here is always warm. Its sunny most of the year. I despise the sun and the heat, I'm more of a winter/cold person. I spend most of the winter with the same clothes I spend the summer with. The lowest it gets here is like 10'C which only happens at the nights of the absolutely coldest days of the winter. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Even when everyone around me is shivering and complaining about how cold it is, I be wearing a t-shirt out in the open, day or night doesn't matter, I'll also be getting those looks O_O as people here have very low tolerance to cold weather.

For me there's nothing like a constantly cloudy and cold weather. As long as the sun doesn't show up I'm all jolly. I'm not sure exactly how to put it, but there's something about the cold and the clouds that instantly relaxes me and puts me in this calm and meditating state. If I wake up to find that the weather is cloudy, my mood is momentarily made just right for the rest of the day. No matter what happens throughout such a day, I manage to stay that way.

If you eventually move ot Belgium, you'll miss the warm weather :P 10C is very warm there for a winter day

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GazaAli

@deeliman said:

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

If you eventually move ot Belgium, you'll miss the warm weather :P 10C is very warm there for a winter day

Most likely I will. But I at least think that I will still prefer the cold weather of Belgium or The Netherlands over the burning hot weather of Gaza. My phone's accueweather widget shows that Brussels' temp at the moment is 5'C lol.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

He hasn't been homeless very long based on his description of the situation. He came to Boston for a job and it ended up being given to someone else, and now he is homeless because he didn't get the job and can't afford housing.

He could easily find work, he just wants it in his field (which is understandable given the time and money invested in the education).

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deeliman

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

Most likely I will. But I at least think that I will still prefer the cold weather of Belgium or The Netherlands over the burning hot weather of Gaza. My phone's accueweather widget shows that Brussels' temp at the moment is 5'C lol.

trust me, it'll get colder as the weeks pass by ;)

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

I would give a lot to see you react, for the first time, to freezing temperatures

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GazaAli

@pie-junior said:

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

I would give a lot to see you react, for the first time, to freezing temperatures

I assume it would be pricelessly craptacular.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

It's because he's Black. Society is always keeping the Black man down.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

@dramaybaz said:

@loco145 said:

Maybe he LIKED studying them?

Don't bring that up here. College is strictly for making money - it doesn't surprise me that suicide rates and depression are so high nowadays, with people working at areas they haven't the slightest interest in.

@TC: that's something Americans and Europeans will have to get used to. Spain has an 11% unemployment rate, but they have better social welfare programs than the US, so (at least for now) their unemployed can count on State-provided housing, food and the minimal conditions for living. Unemployment isn't exclusive to people without a higher-degree education.

majicmazo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By majicmazo1
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@GazaAli: sleeping in a church or a shelter does not mean you have a home, its very possible to be forced into a homeless situation in the US, ive been their and trust me its no picnic

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

@GazaAli said:

as far as i know most mosques are closed during the nights here in iran. lol

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

there always is