45% of Americans Seek Out Organic Foods, Do You?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll 45% of Americans Seek Out Organic Foods, Do You? (40 votes)

Yes, I actively try to include organic foods in my diet. 33%
No, I actively try to avoid organic foods in my diet. 5%
I don't think about either way. 63%

More people in cities or in the West actively include organic foods

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would personally fall under the "don't think about it either way", yet It seems OT has some members who actively grow some of their own fruits and vegetables.

So where do you fall OT?

Are you like me and don't care either way?

Are you an anti-GMO guy/gal?

Or are you a level 5 vegan who won't eat anything that casts a shadow?

• 
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I don't care one way or the other. The only thing I'm looking at is the price.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I don't seek them or avoid them, if what I want looks nice I don't take notice of weather its organic or not.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

I only look for price and quality.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I don't care. I don't believe in the GMO scare. Non-organic stuff is usually simply better in my experience, especially for the price.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Yes I eat organic as well as grow organic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I don't really care...if it has a good price-quality ratio it's all good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If the quality of produce available in grocery chains continues to decline, then I might. The whole "organic" label is a very clever marketing campaign playing off of people's fears and desire to support the "green" movement. I see no point in paying 20-50% more for the exact same products for some perceived "health benefit".

If I want organic food, I'll buy the unlabeled, unregulated product available at farmers markets. True organic.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

I do as much as I am able to, yes. Farmers market (organics) are where it's at, the food tastes much better usually. You can just ask them in person... "Do you use harsh pesticides and chemicals?" Easy enough. They will tell you straight up how they grew their foods.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmazonTreeBoa

@foxhound_fox said:

If the quality of produce available in grocery chains continues to decline, then I might. The whole "organic" label is a very clever marketing campaign playing off of people's fears and desire to support the "green" movement. I see no point in paying 20-50% more for the exact same products for some perceived "health benefit".

If I want organic food, I'll buy the unlabeled, unregulated product available at farmers markets. True organic.

Organic is how something is grown, not who it is grown by. Some farmers aren't organic, which means you aren't buying organic just because you decide to buy from a farmers market. The health benefits is pretty obvious to anybody with half a brain cell and smart enough to educate their self. I get the impression from your post, you are not one of those people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Most of the stuff at Farmers Markets have far more pesticides and chemicals that anything you'd find at a chain grocery store.

You seem confused on what "Organic" actually is.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Yes, especially for fruits, vegetables and meats. It's a bit more expensive but ultimately better for your body in the long run.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

no care = i

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@thegerg said:

no

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

Nope, I'm looking at price. If it's organic bonus.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

@airshocker said:

Yes, especially for fruits, vegetables and meats. It's a bit more expensive but ultimately better for your body in the long run.

Organic foods don't have any noticeable health benefits. Its a fairly common myth. While its a 7 minute video, i heavily encourage you to watch the whole thing. In fact, i everyone should watch every video on the channel since it dispels a lot of health based myths using studies and research.

In any case, i like organic foods because i find they generally taste better. But i don't necessarily go out of my way for it every time.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

All food is organic, people who seek it out have been horribly mislead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@XaosII said:

@airshocker said:

Organic foods don't have any noticeable health benefits. Its a fairly common myth. While its a 7 minute video, i heavily encourage you to watch the whole thing. In fact, i everyone should watch every video on the channel since it dispels a lot of health based myths using studies and research.

In any case, i like organic foods because i find they generally taste better. But i don't necessarily go out of my way for it every time.

When I know you're wrong, of course I'm not going to watch your video. Actual organic fruits and vegetables without the pesticides of traditional grocery store bought items are healthier for you. Same goes for meat. Do you realize how much awful shit is pumped into the beef, chicken, and pork we've been consuming for decades? It's a lot.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XaosII

@airshocker said:

@XaosII said:

@airshocker said:

When I know you're wrong, of course I'm not going to watch your video. Actual organic fruits and vegetables without the pesticides of traditional grocery store bought items are healthier for you. Same goes for meat. Do you realize how much awful shit is pumped into the beef, chicken, and pork we've been consuming for decades? It's a lot.

I would really recommend watching the video since they present empirical evidence rather than just intuition. If the reality shows no significant downsides over decades, what should i believe? Reality, or just an intuitive feeling?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Yes, but mostly because it tastes so much better. To be honest I am not sure about the whole GMO/etc stuff and health risks...I try to be objective but there's a lot of conflicting information out there. Bottom line, at least for me, is organic food tastes WAAAAAY better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@XaosII said:

I would really recommend watching the video since they present empirical evidence rather than just intuition. If the reality shows no significant downsides over decades, what should i believe? Reality, or just an intuitive feeling?

Intuition isn't involved in any of this. Chemicals(pesticides, herbicides, etc) aren't something people should be ingesting. The same goes for the hormones that are given to our livestock and stay with the meat even after they're butchered and sent off to the grocery store. It's really just common sense.

Then I have my own experiences. Not only have I lost a lot of the weight that I gained after getting out of the military, but I've noticed changes in my energy levels as well. Compared to a couple of years ago(when I started eating much more organic food) my yearly physicals have also seen remarkable improvement: Lower cholesterol and a normalized testosterone level, just to name a couple that really stand out.

So I don't really see how your video fits into this when I myself have experienced the benefits.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

No I don't, meta-study analysis hasn't shown any large health impact by eating organic. Mostly just impacts the wallet. I will however go to local farmers markets though.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XaosII

@airshocker said:

@XaosII said:

Intuition isn't involved in any of this. Chemicals(pesticides, herbicides, etc) aren't something people should be ingesting. The same goes for the hormones that are given to our livestock and stay with the meat even after they're butchered and sent off to the grocery store. It's really just common sense.

Then I have my own experiences. Not only have I lost a lot of the weight that I gained after getting out of the military, but I've noticed changes in my energy levels as well. Compared to a couple of years ago(when I started eating much more organic food) my yearly physicals have also seen remarkable improvement: Lower cholesterol and a normalized testosterone level, just to name a couple that really stand out.

So I don't really see how your video fits into this when I myself have experienced the benefits.

Organic does not mean pesticide-free. Most organic plant foods still use pesticides, so its not a very good argument. However, you are correct about organic meat; Its livestock cannot have hormones or antibiotics in it. There's not that strong of a link between the growth hormones and its dangers, but if you are concerned about it, then i think organic meat is a perfectly fine health decision to take.

It sounds like you are simple more careful about your dieting. Anecdotally, you find organic foods healthier for you. That's fine. Most data points to no added nutritional for organic foods and no significant safety differences between organic and conventional foods. Anecdotally, i'll make the counterclaim that i've seen no differences in my health between organic foods and regular foods.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:

@airshocker said:

@XaosII said:

Intuition isn't involved in any of this. Chemicals(pesticides, herbicides, etc) aren't something people should be ingesting.

FYI, something being labeled as "organic" does NOT mean that it's free of herbicides or other pesticides.

It's a good thing I didn't say that, then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@XaosII said:

@airshocker said:

@XaosII said:

Organic does not mean pesticide-free. Most organic plant foods still use pesticides, so its not a very good argument. However, you are correct about organic meat; Its livestock cannot have hormones or antibiotics in it. There's not that strong of a link between the growth hormones and its dangers, but if you are concerned about it, then i think organic meat is a perfectly fine health decision to take.

It sounds like you are simple more careful about your dieting. Anecdotally, you find organic foods healthier for you. That's fine. Most data points to no added nutritional for organic foods and no significant safety differences between organic and conventional foods. Anecdotally, i'll make the counterclaim that i've seen no differences in my health between organic foods and regular foods.

Organic does, most certainly, mean pesticide-free. Whether that product is pesticide-free is entirely dependent on the grower. That's something individuals have to do more research on. And there also is a link between hormone-rich meats and numerous health problems.

You can make whatever claims you want. Nothing you said is going to change what I've found to be the case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:

It's a strange thing you bring up those specific types of chemicals when you make a statement about what we shouldn't ingest in a discussion of organic foods. Another FYI, if you stopped ingesting chemicals you'd be dead very quickly.

I don't see anything strange about it.

It's a good thing I didn't tell anyone to stop ingesting all chemicals, then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker said:

You can make whatever claims you want. Nothing you said is going to change what I've found to be the case.

Now arguing towards one point or another, but how did you reach those conclusions?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmazonTreeBoa

@airshocker said:

@thegerg said:

It's a strange thing you bring up those specific types of chemicals when you make a statement about what we shouldn't ingest in a discussion of organic foods. Another FYI, if you stopped ingesting chemicals you'd be dead very quickly.

I don't see anything strange about it.

It's a good thing I didn't tell anyone to stop ingesting all chemicals, then.

You have a lot more patience than I do, that's for sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker said:

Now arguing towards one point or another, but how did you reach those conclusions?

Reach what conclusions, exactly?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@thegerg said:

It's strange because you specifically bring up that we shouldn't ingest "chemicals" in your as part of your argument in support of organic foods. Is that part of your comment related to your argument or not?

It's a good thing I didn't say you told anyone to stop ingesting all chemicals, then.

I noted which chemicals I was referring to, so please make sure that if you're going to use quotations of what I've said in the future that you quote me exactly. What argument? I'm simply telling Xaosli that he's wrong about certain things.

Then why are you giving me FYI's when they're irrelevant to what I'm saying?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker: Well, you said you wouldn't watch a video that you know is wrong because you've seen the benefits for yourself.

I used to have really bad asthma, then around the time my sister moved out of the house, the asthma went away for the most part, although I do remember having asthma one time when I visited her in her house. Now armed with the certainty that older sisters cause asthma, since I've experienced it myself, I no longer need to read studies and developments on asthma.

A bit ridiculous, right?

So something improved in your life that may or may not have anything to do with what you think the cause was...hardly a reason to refuse being open to new studies and research...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@thegerg said:

@airshocker said:
@thegerg said:

It's strange because you specifically bring up that we shouldn't ingest "chemicals" in your as part of your argument in support of organic foods. Is that part of your comment related to your argument or not?

It's a good thing I didn't say you told anyone to stop ingesting all chemicals, then.

I noted which chemicals I was referring to, so please make sure that if you're going to use quotations of what I've said in the future that you quote me exactly. What argument? I'm simply telling Xaosli that he's wrong about certain things.

Then why are you giving me FYI's when they're irrelevant to what I'm saying?

The chemicals that you mentioned are used on organic foods, why bring them up in a discussion about why you eat organic foods if they are also used on organic foods?

Not in all of them. That's why I made the statement that if you want food that is truly free from those things you have to do your research on the brands.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Doozie78

It's so comical (or tragic) seeing Gerg constantly trying to protect and/or defend poisonous chemicals like he's the Scarecrow from a Batman comic book. Give me a break man...

You really must have some issues with organically grown and non poison-bathed foods.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

I dont really know what that means really from all the different definitions ive heard. I just try and get simple stuff, without it going through some weird bleaching and dying process or whatever it is that they do sometimes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker: Well, you said you wouldn't watch a video that you know is wrong because you've seen the benefits for yourself.

I used to have really bad asthma, then around the time my sister moved out of the house, the asthma went away for the most part, although I do remember having asthma one time when I visited her in her house. Now armed with the certainty that older sisters cause asthma, since I've experienced it myself, I no longer need to read studies and developments on asthma.

A bit ridiculous, right?

So something improved in your life that may or may not have anything to do with what you think the cause was...hardly a reason to refuse being open to new studies and research...

That is nothing like what I said.

I actively made changes to my lifestyle after reading research and consulting with my doctor. Due to those changes, and nothing else, I've noticed improvements.

That is nothing like what you just described.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker: My point is that you can't really say "due to that change, and nothing else". I've been through stages in my life where I've lost weight, my mood improved, my energy levels went through the roof and all that with absolutely no change in my lifestyle (none that I've noticed, anyway), and yeah, I can probably link that to a whole bunch of stuff if I think about it hard enough (or if I want to find something I want to believe was the reason), but that doesn't make it so. I'm not saying it wasn't your change in eating habits that brought about the change...I'm just saying that that's no reason to be close-minded to research...if anything, I think that if you're certain you're in the right, you should be unafraid of being faced with other points of view.

Then again, maybe you just didn't have the patience to watch the video, and that's fine too...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Most of the stuff at Farmers Markets have far more pesticides and chemicals that anything you'd find at a chain grocery store.

Not really, I'm using "organic" in the non-branded sense. Grown by actual farmers to ship direct to small consumer markets locally. Doesn't mean they can't use fertilizer or pesticides.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker: My point is that you can't really say "due to that change, and nothing else". I've been through stages in my life where I've lost weight, my mood improved, my energy levels went through the roof and all that with absolutely no change in my lifestyle (none that I've noticed, anyway), and yeah, I can probably link that to a whole bunch of stuff if I think about it hard enough (or if I want to find something I want to believe was the reason), but that doesn't make it so. I'm not saying it wasn't your change in eating habits that brought about the change...I'm just saying that that's no reason to be close-minded to research...if anything, I think that if you're certain you're in the right, you should be unafraid of being faced with other points of view.

Then again, maybe you just didn't have the patience to watch the video, and that's fine too...

Yes, you can. It's just like somebody attributing weight-loss to exercise.

My eating habits weren't wildly different before. I still cooked all of my meals, I still focused on eating as many fruits and vegetables as I could. Only now I focus on the quality of the product I buy. I look into the brands before I buy them.

He can put out whatever research he wants. Me not reading/watching it doesn't make me narrow-minded, or unwilling to face it. I don't need any more studies or research to let me know that I'm right. If you do, that's fine. I've already done the research and I've seen the results.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

I would love to eat organic but i honestly do not have it in my budget. i know people who eat all organic like to think it doesn't put a hole in your budget but it does. i tried eating organic before and i winded up spending a lot of money. if i have better income i might try eat more organic again.

I also i have my doubts about certain products being organic. Unless you are growing the food and raising your own meat, you can't know for sure it is 100%.

Even the air we breathe isn't necessarily good for us. So what to do ? Build organic air pockets?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XaosII

@airshocker said:

I don't need any more studies or research to let me know that I'm right.

I think that this is a somewhat unhealthy viewpoint to have towards information. But that's your decision.

Maybe it is possible that the mix of pesticides approved for conventional farming and the hormones in meats has caused you a negative physiological reaction. Changing your diet to organic foods has drastically improved your overall health. I think that's great. However, empirically, that's generally not the case for the vast majority of people.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Doozie78

@thegerg said:

@doozie78 said:

You really must have some issues with organically grown and non poison-bathed foods.

Haha, no. I just take issue with bullshit statements like "Organic does, most certainly, mean pesticide-free" and medically unsound beliefs like the belief that people shouldn't ingest chemicals.

Oh you can slurp down all the toxic chems you wish, I will be doing my best to avoid them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@doozie78 said:

@thegerg said:

@doozie78 said:

Haha, no. I just take issue with bullshit statements like "Organic does, most certainly, mean pesticide-free" and medically unsound beliefs like the belief that people shouldn't ingest chemicals.

Oh you can slurp down all the toxic chems you wish, I will be doing my best to avoid them.

Hope you don't eat fish then, got to avoid all that mercury now haven't we? Seriously some people hear chemicals and just go nuts, it's stupid. It's already been shown organic makes no difference to health outcomes nor the content of the food.

The only real concern you should have about pesticides is if you live next to/work on a farm using pesticides, that's where there's convincing evidence for some harm.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nuck81 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Not really, I'm using "organic" in the non-branded sense. Grown by actual farmers to ship direct to small consumer markets locally. Doesn't mean they can't use fertilizer or pesticides.

So then it is confirmed, you don't really know what organic means. It means no man made synthetic pesticides/fertilizers were used to grow it. All the fertilizers/pesticides that are used are natural none synthetic. For example, I use worm casting, used coffee grounds, and azomite for my fertilizer and an organic fungicide for white powdery mold. I haven't had an insect problem this year, but when I did in the past, my pesticide was me ordering 1,500 ladybugs and releasing them in my garden. They took care of my insect problem, then proceeded to take care of the rest of the neighborhood's insect problem.