4 Trillion divided by 300 Million equals...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

$13,333.33.

That is how much every American citizen could get if the government instead bailed out the people instead of the banks. There are 75 million children in the USA. If we take away the children, then every adult would get...

$17,777.78.

Which bailout do you think would work?

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
each of the folk should get the money so they can save them selfs
Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dark-Sithious
Member since 2008 • 3914 Posts

Both ideas suck

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
Capitalism must die! Working men of all countries unite! Take down your bourgeois oppressors!
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

If everyone had all that money prices would skyrocket.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
We already tried something like that. It was the Economic Stimulus Bill of 2008. Didn't work. Did it?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
If you just give someone a large tax rebate they are either going to save it in a bank (a bank that right now probably won't lend it) or pay off debts. Bush tried this last year and Ford tried the same thing in the 70's.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 helium_flash

We already tried something like that. It was the Economic Stimulus Bill of 2008. Didn't work. Did it? hamstergeddon
That bill only gave every adult like... $200 :lol:.

swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#9 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

Will the US end up like Animal Farm ?

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

thats a bad idea people
1.thats socalism it will cost an inflation in prices
2.only temporary people still needs jobs

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
Maybe you could pay your debt with that money :P
MarioRPGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12 MarioRPGer
Member since 2005 • 11345 Posts

swazidoughman

I really hope we dont turn into animals.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Neither are great but the idea of the citizens getting it is better, but ONLY if the people actually spend it and don't just put it away.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kemar7856

[QUOTE="swazidoughman"]

MarioRPGer

I really hope we dont turn into animals.

communism sucks lol
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Neither are great but the idea of the citizens getting it is better, but ONLY if the people actually spend it and don't just put it away.

Pirate700
Why is everyone in this country so against savings? Savings is good. Anyway, both ideas are bad. How about we not give out free money?
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#16 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Neither would work.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts

$13,333.33.

That is how much every American citizen could get if the government instead bailed out the people instead of the banks. There are 75 million children in the USA. If we take away the children, then every adult would get...

$17,777.78.

helium_flash
And everyone would simply save most of it, like they did with the rebate. Saving money doesn't help the economy. If everyone was going to spend the bulk of that, then it might help. But in this case, the government knows more on how to save the economy than the average person.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Considering a lot of that money is a loan, I'm fine with not owing the government that much money.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

limpbizkit818

Why is everyone in this country so against savings? Savings is good. Anyway, both ideas are bad. How about we not give out free money?

We already saved. The problem was people spending beyond their means which is what got us intot his mess. Spending is good. The economy depends on it. The problem now is some people are afraid to spend at all. The citizens are the main issue.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bourbons3
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

limpbizkit818

Saving is good for the person saving. When it comes to the economy as a whole, its the constant movement of money that drives it. And the main way to achieve that is through spending.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

$13,333.33.

$17,777.78.

Bourbons3

And everyone would simply save most of it, like they did with the rebate. Saving money doesn't help the economy. If everyone was going to spend the bulk of that, then it might help. But in this case, the government knows more on how to save the economy than the average person.

Are you sure about that?

If the government knew what the hell it was doing then we'd probably not be in this mess in the first place.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kemar7856
Considering a lot of that money is a loan, I'm fine with not owing the government that much money.spazzx625
well if a company or person declares bankruptcy then they dont have 2 pay it back
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"] Why is everyone in this country so against savings? Savings is good.

Saving would be good if there was an excess of demand, but we aren't facing an excess of demand right now. It is not that there aren't enough goods and services to go around right now, it's quite the opposite. There is plenty of supply but not enough demand for it, and if that problem continues, deflation could become a serious concern.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

[QUOTE="hamstergeddon"]We already tried something like that. It was the Economic Stimulus Bill of 2008. Didn't work. Did it? helium_flash

I got $600 for me and $300 for each of my 2 kids, for a total of $1200. It really helped when I got it, but it certainly is gone now.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts
[QUOTE="spazzx625"]Considering a lot of that money is a loan, I'm fine with not owing the government that much money.kemar7856
well if a company or person declares bankruptcy then they dont have 2 pay it back

Not exactly. Chapter 7 allows for complete liquidation, which in turn will not have to be repaid. Chapter 11 puts you on a payment schedule depending on whether or not you could pay back all debt reasonibly within 5 years.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bourbons3

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]

$13,333.33.

$17,777.78.

Theokhoth

Are you sure about that?

If the government knew what the hell it was doing then we'd probably not be in this mess in the first place.

So the government gives all the money to the people, not the banks or the corporations. What are people going to spend it all on if the government doesn't bail out companies? And where are people going to save it if all the banks go bust?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"] And everyone would simply save most of it, like they did with the rebate. Saving money doesn't help the economy. If everyone was going to spend the bulk of that, then it might help. But in this case, the government knows more on how to save the economy than the average person.Bourbons3

Are you sure about that?

So the government gives all the money to the people, not the banks or the corporations. What are people going to spend it all on if the government doesn't bail out companies? And where are people going to save it if all the banks go bust?

I'm not saying we should give the money to the people. If it were up to me, we wouldn't be throwing money around in the first place.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"] Why is everyone in this country so against savings? Savings is good. -Sun_Tzu-
Saving would be good if there was an excess of demand, but we aren't facing an excess of demand right now. It is not that there aren't enough goods and services to go around right now, it's quite the opposite. There is plenty of supply but not enough demand for it, and if that problem continues, deflation could become a serious concern.

I assume you are talking about asset deflation and not price deflation?

Savings is the ground work for investment and future consumption. I believe (don't quote me on this one) that the average savings rate in the US in 1960 was around 7%. Now? It's under 0. How much more debt can this country seriously take? We need to get our mindset out of the 1990's: those consumption levels are not coming back. People are making less now then they were 8 years ago, and unemployment is higher. The government needs to encourage savings simply because we have no more moeny to spend.

Sorry for the long reply time, but I'm a little busy right now.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
I'm not saying we should give the money to the people. If it were up to me, we wouldn't be throwing money around in the first place.Theokhoth
Yeah, we should just let all those banks fail and have everyone's savings totally dissappear. Heck, it would reduce everyone down to a 100K saving baseline. I don't know about you, but I would lose a couple thousand in saving if that were to happen. Banks failing = no no. Businesses failing = yay yay.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"] Why is everyone in this country so against savings? Savings is good. limpbizkit818

I assume you are talking about asset deflation and not price deflation?

Savings is the ground work for investment and future consumption. I believe (don't quote me on this one) that the average savings rate in the US in 1960 was around 7%. Now? It's under 0. How much more debt can this country seriously take? We need to get our mindset out of the 1990's: those consumption levels are not coming back. People are making less now then they were 8 years ago, and unemployment is higher. The government needs to encourage savings simply because we have no more moeny to spend.

Sorry for the long reply time, but I'm a little busy right now.

No, I'm referring to price deflation. Price deflation right now can trigger a deflationary spiral, where prices decrease which then results in lower production which leads to lower wages, lower employment, and ultimately lower demand, and because of the lower demand prices would continue to go down further and the whole cycle repeats itself.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
Instead of giving money to auto companies, why don't they pay for part of the bill when someone buys a new car. Or is that not a good idea?
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
Basic economy, if you give 10 000$ to everyrone price will inflate, because the company know that you have more $ in your pocket. So that sexy, but almost useless, 1080p hd-tv at 1500$ will be 3000$-5000$.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Never going to happen. The modern western politicians don't have the foresight to understand what doing that sort of thing could do to benefit the economy.

EmyrsII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EmyrsII
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

[QUOTE="hamstergeddon"]We already tried something like that. It was the Economic Stimulus Bill of 2008. Didn't work. Did it? helium_flash

it was 600$ actually.

EmyrsII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EmyrsII
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

$13,333.33.

$17,777.78.

helium_flash

well know after the census coming up.. but your figures are off..
its more like 375million in the states, and 310-325 over 18

im all for giving this new kind of spending a chance.. after years of taxcuts in a worsening economy, they havent been enough to bouy it. besides, i dont need to see every 20yr old driving around a new escalade just because they got $15k from the government and think they can afford it now.

some people may be smart with how they use money, but you should know that doesnt hold true to the majority of people in the US.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

$13,333.33.

$17,777.78.

EmyrsII

well know after the census coming up.. but your figures are off..
its more like 375million in the states, and 310-325 over 18

im all for giving this new kind of spending a chance.. after years of taxcuts in a worsening economy, they havent been enough to bouy it. besides, i dont need to see every 20yr old driving around a new escalade just because they got $15k from the government and think they can afford it now.

some people may be smart with how they use money, but you should know that doesnt hold true to the majority of people in the US.

Thats because we are a nation of borrowers.. The majority of the wealth to the United States did not increase it merely was a fantasy backed by borrowing.. And who can blame them? Look at the costs of numerous things! College for instance are reaching ridiculous prices, where high pay jobs like successful doctors will find them selves paying off their debt for years..

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

If everyone had all that money prices would skyrocket.

CJL13
/thread
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

Both ideas suck

Dark-Sithious
This ^^^^
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
Thats because we are a nation of borrowers.sSubZerOo
You are a nation of Kramers!
darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

How about give half the money to the people and half to the banks?

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts

$13,333.33.

$17,777.78.

helium_flash
$13,333.33, because the average American family size is 3 or 4.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 helium_flash

Pirate700

If the government issued it out over a period of... saaaaay... two years, then I think a large amount of it would be spent.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts

$13,333.33.

$17,777.78.

helium_flash
Oh, I could totally spend $13,333. Why don't they just spread it out that way?!
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 helium_flash

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

$13,333.33.

$17,777.78.

remmbermytitans

Oh, I could totally spend $13,333. Why don't they just spread it out that way?!

Is that sarcasm or anger?

kono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kono11
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts

That's a hefty sum of money! :P

trubluah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 trubluah
Member since 2002 • 3678 Posts
Time to move to canada and france guys
mutenpika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mutenpika
Member since 2004 • 2940 Posts
So... uh... say we don't bail out the banks. Invariably, they fail and then suddenly NOBODY has any money. I understand you want moolah now, but getting the money yourself will produce nothing except for a momentary boost. Without a credit source, there's almost no room for social mobility, for entrepreneurship, for any sort of economic growth at all: we get a boost to existing industries for a month, then we're right back where we started. It's an instant-gratification "solution." It might look bad to see the banks getting the money, but it's the only way to stabilize this and get us back on our feet. Give the banks their stability and a few more regulations, and the healing can begin. EDIT: Remember FDR's first priority? Saving the banks.