3D TV - Do I need 3D movies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

oliviarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By oliviarose
Member since 2015 • 46 Posts

Sorry for sounding like such a tech novice!

I am thinking about getting a new 3D Smart TV. Does the TV have software that makes everything 3D or do I need to buy 3D movie DVDs?

Is there such a thing as a 3D TV channel?

I am looking at the Samsung 32H6400 here. (Mod Edit Link Removed)

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I believe you need to buy the movies that support 3D, not just any movie.

As for 3D channel, I never saw one but that might be because I don't have a 3D TV.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Yes the tv has to have special hardware/software for 3D compatibility . Also you need to purchase your movies with the added 3D feature. Its and expense, but some movies are worth it. Very few in my collection, but i do enjoy 3D gaming at times.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Considering how quickly 3D passed from the public sphere yet again, I wouldn't recommend spending money on a TV capable of it. Many theaters don't even carry 3D versions of some films these days, and I personally prefer viewing them without it (as a wearer of glasses, it's a huge inconvenience).

At this point, 4K would be a better investment.

And yes, you need 3D-compatible media (Blu-rays, not DVDs) in order for the 3D function to work. And AFAIK, there is no 3D television available.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I love 3d personally, granted some movies work better with it than others but theyre all fun to watch in the 3rd dimension, Star Trek is particularly good cause you really get a sense of the sheer vastness of space its fantastic.

Gran Turismo 5 and Uncharted 3 on the PS3 were both playable in 3d and were both alot of fun, i didnt buy the full game but i did download a demo of Mortal Kombat that was playable in 3d which was different.

There are plenty of 3d blueray movies out there so loads of choice in all genres, if you have kids/grandchildren etc etc Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 both look stunning in 3d and will leave them gagging for more and theyll think you the greatest dad in the world.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

If you don't mind or have the space, IMHO it's much better to buy a projector for 3d. Much cheaper entry level and there isn't much support for 3D anymore so you'll end up using it every once in a while for gaming and movies only maybe. That's what I ended up doing. Definitely worth it if you do it every weekend for movies and gaming. But the bulbs do get kinda expensive.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@oliviarose: I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are actually asking a legit question, but a significant number of your posts have links to that website which makes you look like a thinly veiled spam account. I've removed the link from this post and if you link to that site again you'll be permbanned.

To the question, 3D TVs do require 3D content but some models also have the ability to generate "fake" 3D out of 2D content. It won't look as good as real 3D content, of course, but it's an option if you like 3D so much that you want to watch your 2D content with glasses on then technically this is an option. You'd have to consult the feature list/manual for any TV you buy to see if it supports this feature. If it does not, then the only option would be to purchase 3D content either digitally or through 3D blu-rays (which would also require a supporting player).

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@oliviarose: Nevermind. I just found your alt spamming the same URL. Permbanned. I'll leave the thread open for anyone else who wants to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of 3D Television. Personally, I agree with everyone else that it's pretty much a waste, at least it's not something that I'd use as a sole purchasing decision for a TV. I have a TV that's passive 3D and a projector that's active, but I rarely use the 3D on either.

-Byshop