2014 FIFA World Cup

#551 Edited by johnd13 (8617 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: Which is a shame because it would have been a fantastic goal. The french nailed it tonight.

#552 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73512 posts) -

@johnd13 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Which is a shame because it would have been a fantastic goal. The french nailed it tonight.

It sucks, he would have had a lead on the golden boot

#553 Posted by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

This will be remember for good i guess LOL

#554 Posted by Aljosa23 (25631 posts) -

LES TRICOLORES fantastique!!!

Je suis surpris

#555 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73512 posts) -

1-1 Honduras vs Ecuador

#556 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@Aljosa23: Yay. You are back.

#557 Posted by space_rest (23 posts) -

i predict a final score 4-1 today at the game Germany - Ghana... ;)

#558 Posted by Aljosa23 (25631 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

@Aljosa23: Yay. You are back.

Yeah. :) A few thoughts I have so far:

1) Colombia is really freaking good. Their attacking players are all scary and it's sad when you remember that Falcao is injured because their strikers aren't all that good on the NT. Martinez is pretty decent on his club team but on the NT he looks like Jozy Altidore in that he has no idea what footwork is. James Rodriguez is my favourite player of the entire tournament and I really hope they go far, the team is a joy to watch.

2) Spain need a huge shakeup before Euro 2016 or they are fucked. Tiki taka has been on a huge decline since Chelsea beat Barcelona in the Champions League in 2012 and now I'd say it's irrelevant, almost. All the teams figured out how to defend against that style now. It's disappointing that the Spanish didn't have a plan B that was more than just making a few changes in their lineup. Diego Costa looked so lost out there, the dude has 0 experience playing this brand of football that it's absurd that he was picked to start again after that disastrous game against the Dutch. Del Bosque needs to go, Casillas is done, Xavi is done, and jokes like Fernando Torres need to be given the boot as well. Focus on youth, please.

3) After watching Belgium's first game I'm not entirely convinced by them just yet. I had them pegged to get to the quarter finals but that performance against Algeria was not as good as I had hoped for. Fellaini played a pretty good game when he came on (unlike at United where he is constantly out of position) which was the only real bright spot for me in that game. If Hazard steps up and plays like he does at Chelsea then I will go all in on the Belgians but until then I'll remain a bit skeptical, just like I was about the French.

4) Speaking of France, holy shit they are good this year. I remember when L'Equipe described them as the worst French side in history but at the moment they are playing like the France of the late 90's/early 00's. Maybe I'm jumping the gun just a bit but I can see them going very far this year and maybe even win it if they keep up the current form. There's an absurd amount of talented players and they have the squad depth that can go toe to toe with Italy and even Germany.

#559 Edited by deeliman (2537 posts) -

I think France and Germany are the most likely to win this year, and maybe the netherlands too depending on how well they play against chile

#560 Posted by deeliman (2537 posts) -

@Aljosa23 Join the rest of us in the wc prediction thread :P

#561 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10296 posts) -

please Argentina, do it in our asses. :)

#562 Edited by elkoldo (1256 posts) -

It's 8:10 pm here ,the sun almost set ,and the streets are dead empty ,the city looks like a ghost town ! Iran has a population of approximately 75 million and I can assure you that at least 65 million are already at home sitting on their couches gazing at the TV , only to watch their national team's ass get clipped by Argentina ! Last time I saw the streets so empty was 2006 ,during the Iran-Portugal match.Yeah ,Iran is a football maniac nation ,though they know their national team sucks.

This is dj elkoldo ,reporting to you from Tehran !

#563 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Not sure if Iran is playing well or Argentina sucks. :/

#564 Posted by Elpresador-911 (326 posts) -

La Pulga will dominate iran

#565 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10296 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

Not sure if Iran is playing well or Argentina sucks. :/

the latter. i'm so disappointed in them.

#566 Edited by elkoldo (1256 posts) -

Argentina only need the opener,once they score the opener the chain of goals will follow.

#567 Edited by themajormayor (25949 posts) -

Now it would have been good for Argentina to have the best player in the world on their team.

#568 Edited by Master_Live (15291 posts) -

So that is where Furio ended up.

#569 Edited by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Still looking for a players like Persie, Robben, Benzema, Muellar in Argentina and Brazil.

#570 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@elkoldo: Well are you impressed with your country's team? Or disappointed with Argentina?

#571 Edited by Master_Live (15291 posts) -

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#572 Posted by deeliman (2537 posts) -

@jeager_titan *Müller

#573 Edited by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@deeliman: Yeah, I don't know how to type that u.

What a stunning goal.

#574 Edited by themajormayor (25949 posts) -

fucking bullshit. Argentina is such an ugly team. BLÄÄÄH

#575 Edited by Aljosa23 (25631 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Now it would have been good for Argentina to have the best player in the world on their team.

lol

They do.

#576 Edited by Elpresador-911 (326 posts) -

lol i was right

#577 Posted by deeliman (2537 posts) -

@Aljosa23 He doesn't think messi is the best player in the world

#579 Edited by Masculus (2877 posts) -

Man... Dat ref. Jesus Christ, the worst I've seen in a while. This is worse than the whole Qatar shit (lol, not quite), how can they keep using this system baffles me.

Also, Messi saves the day (again).

#580 Edited by johnd13 (8617 posts) -

lol Argentina barely made it

#581 Posted by Aljosa23 (25631 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Aljosa23 He doesn't think messi is the best player in the world

Yeah, I know. Which I find pretty hilarious.

#583 Posted by elkoldo (1256 posts) -

@jeager_titan: Well not to sound like a patriot but I guess they did pretty goddamn well.Specially given their backgrounds, compared to the Argentinians backgrounds.

Iran had ,at least ,three critical opportunities, not to mention the rightful penalty that the wrongful ref didn't take.I guess Argentina are more than happy with their minute-91 sole goal.

Shit man ,one thing is true though ,better to lose like a man ,than win like a leech.

#584 Posted by sailor232 (4981 posts) -

So disappointed Iran didn't at least get a draw, the deserved it so much, best defense I've seen all tournament. Unlucky not to have one of their three brilliant shots not go in, and then there's that penalty that should had gone their way. Great game to watch, edge of my seat the entire time.

#585 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16270 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

#586 Edited by sailor232 (4981 posts) -

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@themajormayor said:

I do like how he scores for his National side, not only for club. That makes him great in my book. I still like Ronaldo more.

#587 Edited by elkoldo (1256 posts) -

@johnd13: Oh hey Spartan ,Iran's showdown must've taken you back to the golden days of 2004.Defense-based-counter-attack style is pretty much 2004-Greek style.

#588 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10296 posts) -

oh crud, i just can't stand all these facebook status updates on the match. get over it already.

#589 Edited by johnd13 (8617 posts) -

@elkoldo: You need to score though in the few opportunities you'll get. And of course make the most out of corners, free-kicks etc. They won us the Euro 2004. :)

#590 Posted by Aljosa23 (25631 posts) -

@johnd13 said:

@elkoldo: You need to score though in the few opportunities you'll get. And of course make the most out of corners, free-kicks etc. They won us the Euro 2004. :)

Being boring won you Euro 2004 lol. Can't stand the Greek team because holy crap do they play terrible football. :(

#591 Edited by elkoldo (1256 posts) -

@VaguelyTagged: Damn man ,we got "this" close to capping their ass ,it could've been a once-in-a-lifetime win !

@johnd13 Yeah that's right.Iran was one step away.

#592 Posted by elkoldo (1256 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

@johnd13 said:

Being boring won you Euro 2004 lol. Can't stand the Greek team because holy crap do they play terrible football. :(

You're not hearing yourself.That was pretty exciting quite the contrary ,capping big asses of Spain , Czech, Portugal (twice ! both the opening and closing match ), I enjoyed that.

#593 Posted by johnd13 (8617 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@johnd13 said:

We know we're boring. But who cares, we won the European Cup and we participate in every major tournament ever since. There are teams more "eye-friendly" who are home right now like Sweden, Denmark, Ukraine etc.

#594 Posted by Aljosa23 (25631 posts) -

@elkoldo said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@johnd13 said:

You're not hearing yourself.That was pretty exciting quite the contrary ,capping big asses of Spain , Czech, Portugal (twice ! both the opening and closing match ), I enjoyed that.

Those big teams losing to a small minnow was entertaining but the Greek style is still boring to watch. It wouldn't matter to me if they were winning games and scoring goals off counter attacks but they have a huge problem in front of goal right now.

#595 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10296 posts) -

@elkoldo said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@johnd13 said:

you don't necessarily need to be that boring to be able to "cap big asses". just look at Costa Rica; they're beautiful to watch and they still pull it off.

#598 Edited by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Germany is at it again. Just like the last WC.

#599 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73512 posts) -

Come on germany!

#600 Edited by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

And.. GERMANY SCORES.