17 year old sentenced to attend church for 10 years

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Laihendi (5810 posts) -

An Oklahoma teen convicted of manslaughter has sentenced to 10 years of probation, with requirements that include regularly attending church.

Tyler Alred, now 17, had been drinking when he crashed a pickup truckat around 4 a.m. on Dec. 3, 2011, Tulsa World reports. The accident killed Alred's friend, 16-year-old John Luke Dum, who was a passenger in the vehicle.

Alred was not legally drunk, but because he was below the legal drinking age, he was still considered to be driving under the influence of alcohol. The high school student pleaded guilty in August to a charge of manslaughter as a youthful offender.

"I did not want to do what I did," Alred told the court prior to his sentencing. "I want to change my life."

Members ofDum's family did not want to see Alred behind bars, the Muskogee Phoenix reported. "We don't need to see two lives wasted for a mistake," Dum's sister, Caitlin, wrote in a statement.

Instead of sentencing the teen to prison time, Judge Mike Norman gave him a 10-year deferred sentence. In order to stay out of prison, Alred must graduate from high school; graduate from welding school; take drug, alcohol and nicotine tests for a year; wear a drug and alcohol bracelet, take part in victim's impact panels, and attend church for the next 10 years.

This last requirement "raises legal issues because of (the separation of) church and state," University of Oklahoma law professor Randall Coyne told the Tulsa World.

University of Tulsa law professor Gary Allison told KTULthat the church requirement "speaks to maybe forcing people to do religious activities that they would otherwise not do on their own free will I don't know why a church would want to have someone come to it under the force of government,"

This apparently isn't the case for Alred, though. "My client goes to church every Sunday," defense attorney Donn Baker told the court. "That isn't going to be a problem for him."

Link

These judges are getting ridiculous.

#2 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

So no jail time, just church? What?

#3 Posted by MrPraline (21320 posts) -
plz don't be america plz don't be america plz don't be america plz don't be ame HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA smfh What the f*ck is this nothing but contempt for this judge
#4 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
Burn down the judge! binger
#5 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
is it really legal to prescribe that as punishment though?
#6 Posted by Omni-Wrath (1970 posts) -

How is this even legal?
Dosen't separation of church and state prevent the use of church as a punishment?

#7 Posted by GazaAli (22525 posts) -
Misleading title much? Also, I find it great that the victim's family did not react with revenge. Though the church part is ridiculous, and damn this guy is not going to have any fun for some time.
#8 Posted by MrPraline (21320 posts) -
is it really legal to prescribe that as punishment though?Abbeten
"Instead of sentencing the teen to prison time, Judge Mike Norman gave him a 10-year deferred sentence. In order to stay out of prison, Alred must graduate from high school; graduate from welding school; take drug, alcohol and nicotine tests for a year; wear a drug and alcohol bracelet, take part in victim's impact panels, and attend church for the next 10 years." Jesus. Throw me in a dungeon, then and get it over with.
#9 Posted by Celldrax (14565 posts) -

I have a vision.

This thread is going places.

#10 Posted by MrPraline (21320 posts) -

How is this even legal?
Dosen't separation of church and state prevent the use of church as a punishment?

Omni-Wrath
Separation of church and state is mostly an illusion in the US, sadly.
#11 Posted by mingmao3046 (2482 posts) -
Id rather be on probation and go to church than go to jail if i killed someone like that though i would probably kill myself honestly. couldnt live with that guilt.
#12 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

Pirate700

In fairness, they're pretty similar. The really big difference is that in jail the sodomy doesn't stop at puberty.

#13 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -

I have a vision.

This thread is going places.

Celldrax
Traveling threads aren't allowed nomo.
#14 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (994 posts) -

I knew. I JUST KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO BE AMERICA.

Honestly sometimes (most of the times?) America is just as backwards if not more than African or Middle Eastern countries

#15 Posted by GazaAli (22525 posts) -
[QUOTE="Abbeten"]is it really legal to prescribe that as punishment though?MrPraline
"Instead of sentencing the teen to prison time, Judge Mike Norman gave him a 10-year deferred sentence. In order to stay out of prison, Alred must graduate from high school; graduate from welding school; take drug, alcohol and nicotine tests for a year; wear a drug and alcohol bracelet, take part in victim's impact panels, and attend church for the next 10 years." Jesus. Throw me in a dungeon, then and get it over with.

Totally :lol:
#16 Posted by MrPraline (21320 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

theone86

In fairness, they're pretty similar. The really big difference is that in jail the sodomy doesn't stop at puberty.

ROFL
#17 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]Id rather be on probation and go to church than go to jail if i killed someone like that though i would probably kill myself honestly. couldnt live with that guilt.

People say that but I don't think it's true.
#18 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5281 posts) -
I can't believe this is happening in America, so much for being a secular nation. Does he even have a choice of which Church he attends, or does it need to be Christian?
#19 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13598 posts) -

I'd rather than than 10 years of ass rape in prison.

However, this shouldn't be allowed.

#20 Posted by MrPraline (21320 posts) -
I can't believe this is happening in America, so much for being a secular nation. Does he even have a choice of which Church he attends, or does it need to be Christian?PernicioEnigma
Most likely Christian, probably a particular denomination as well Monopoly on TRUTH (TM) and all that
#21 Posted by GamingTitan (520 posts) -

well that obviously wont hold up~ The south is too funny~

#22 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
........that's fvcking stupid.
#23 Posted by CJL13 (19137 posts) -

Implying that people who go to church don't commit crimes? Holier than thou much?!

#24 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

HAHAHAHAHA

The perfect punishment.

#25 Posted by konvikt_17 (22170 posts) -

what the serious fvck!

so fvcking stupid, illegally drinking, then driving while under the influence, and got someone killed.

what the fvck Oklahoma?

#26 Posted by InEMplease (6333 posts) -

Honestly sometimes (most of the times?) America is just as backwards if not more than African or Middle Eastern countries

ClassicRockFTW

It's Oklahoma. They're practically their own planet.

#27 Posted by konvikt_17 (22170 posts) -

dude goes to church regularly.

So lets make him go to church for ten years. makes pefect sense. he will surely learn his lesson that way.

SMH

#28 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The separation of Church and State in action.
#29 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

theone86

Lmfao.
#30 Posted by Krelian-co (10393 posts) -

How is this even legal?

Omni-Wrath

religious people think religion is aobve laws

#31 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
religious people think religion is [the] lawKrelian-co
Fixed.
#32 Posted by wis3boi (31118 posts) -

separation of church and planet

#33 Posted by Crazyguy105 (9512 posts) -

i'd kill myself just to get it over with.

#34 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7353 posts) -

So he has to go to Church's chicken for the next 10 years?

#35 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

Did you see the rest of the sentence? He agreed to do a lot of things... He pled guilty which means an agreement was reached... Being in Bibleville... I am sure a preacher was involved... He agreed to this sentence, it wasn't forced on him (in that it was mandated from the start)... He sat down with a social service person, a district attorney, his parents, maybe the judge even if it was a small place... And they agreed to these things... Preacher probably said "you should go to church" and judge biblethumper mcgee probably agreed... And the kid was like "I can do that..."

I hate religion, and I hate all church murging with state. But in this case, the church highly probably likely was not forced upon him against his will...

#36 Posted by GamingVengeance (1850 posts) -
nicotine tests? lol
#37 Posted by roulettethedog (10953 posts) -

Church is worse then jail.:P

#38 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17576 posts) -
i feel like this has already happened before...
#39 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

That's... not that bad, honestly.

#40 Posted by CleanPlayer (9788 posts) -
That's a whole lot of kneeling. Is this kid allowed to drink the blood of Christ too and get wasted off of it? Man if I was the family of the kid who died I'm suing a whole lot of people
#41 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

the judge is requesting him go. you can't force him.

anyways 10 years seems little crazy for manslaughter. I know this isn't jail time, but i have seen people whole actually murder people get less time.

#42 Posted by JohnF111 (14051 posts) -
Wow having to attend church would be a worse sentence if he were me. I honestly would not do it, give me prison and welding classes any day.
#43 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I guess they'll teach good morals even if he doesn't want to delve into faith.

#44 Posted by Laihendi (5810 posts) -

sune_Gem
Christianity advocates some good behaviours, but it doesn't teach good morals because the entire religion is based on faith which is itself an immoral concept. I don't think him attending church for 10 years will do any good at all.
#45 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29107 posts) -
[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Laihendi
Christianity advocates some good behaviours, but it doesn't teach good morals because the entire religion is based on faith which is itself an immoral concept. I don't think him attending church for 10 years will do any good at all.

wut
#46 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Laihendi

As far as I was aware, most teach children to be well mannered, polite, and to give what they'd expect to be given themselves in order to please God.

#47 Posted by konvikt_17 (22170 posts) -

sune_Gem

he goes to church regularly.

so i doubt him continuing to go to church is gonna magically change him.

the way i see it, he killed a man and got a slight slap on the wrist. no real punishment.

fvcked up.

#48 Posted by SpartanMSU (3440 posts) -

ClassicRockFTW

No.

#49 Posted by Laihendi (5810 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

chessmaster1989

wut

Faith promotes ignorance and intellectual laziness. It teaches people to not think independently and to do/believe as they are told. Any exercise of faith is a suspension of reason. A person of faith is incapable of distinguishing right from wrong, but assumes that he acts rightly anyways. Reason is the only means of understanding anything, and is therefore the only basis for a credible code of ethics.
#50 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20834 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Christianity advocates some good behaviours, but it doesn't teach good morals because the entire religion is based on faith which is itself an immoral concept. I don't think him attending church for 10 years will do any good at all.

wut

Faith promotes ignorance and intellectual laziness. It teaches people to not think independently and to do/believe as they are told. Any exercise of faith is a suspension of reason. A person of faith is incapable of distinguishing right from wrong, but assumes that he acts rightly anyways. Reason is the only means of understanding anything, and is therefore the only basis for a credible code of ethics.

Well I've had my fill of laughter for the day.