15 year old gets 25 years in prison for SWATTING.

• 53 results
#1 Edited by airshocker (29404 posts) -

SOURCE

Just came across this. Most people who play games and watch livestreams know what swatting is. If you don't, the definition is: Swatting is the tricking of any emergency service (via such as a 9-1-1 dispatcher) into dispatching an emergency response based on the false report of an on-going critical incident.

So this kid, after getting pissed off for losing a match in BF4, called the cops on a livestreamer and ended up getting the livestreamer's father shot in the process.

What do you all think of the punishment? I feel bad for the kid but seeing as he could have gotten somebody killed, I don't have too much sympathy. Hopefully this prevents people from doing the same thing in the future.

#2 Edited by Master_Live (14427 posts) -

Stupid kid. I won't deny I feel a little bit of schadenfreude. This should be disseminated long and far to all the little brats playing online, specially the video of the judicial proceedings and sentencing if possible. Not that they would ever watch it or heed the advise.

#3 Posted by airshocker (29404 posts) -

This might actually be fake.

#4 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13836 posts) -

How the hell did the livestreamer's father get shot? That seems ridiculously out of line for the SWAT team that arrived.

#5 Edited by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

Airshocker, I'm surprised at you. You're not the kind of guy to fall for this kind of stuff.

#6 Edited by dave123321 (33995 posts) -

Air buddy, ol pal

We've all been here one time or another

Don't feel too bad

#7 Posted by airshocker (29404 posts) -

Airshocker, I'm surprised at you. You're not the kind of guy to fall for this kind of stuff.

To be perfectly honest, the article seems legitimate. It's just when you try and look at the source, there isn't one.

#8 Posted by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

To be perfectly honest, the article seems legitimate. It's just when you try and look at the source, there isn't one.

I believe the "source" in question is nationalreview, which is a spoof news site like The Onion and DailyCurrant.

#9 Posted by Master_Live (14427 posts) -

Even if the article is fake we can still talk about Swatting which even celebrities have been victims of. I would probably die of a heart attack is I got "swatted".

#10 Edited by BranKetra (48447 posts) -

Wow. That judge made an example of the guilty teenager involved. The worst part is people consider this a prank when people can be killed.

#11 Edited by airshocker (29404 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@airshocker said:

@PannicAtack said:

I believe the "source" in question is nationalreview, which is a spoof news site like The Onion and DailyCurrant.

No, it's nationalreport. The national review is a legitimate political magazine.

#12 Posted by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@airshocker said:

@PannicAtack said:

No, it's nationalreport. The national review is a legitimate political magazine.

Oh, durr.

Easy to get this shit mixed up.

#13 Posted by airshocker (29404 posts) -

@Master_Live: Yes, we can. SWATTING is pretty horrible. It's really only a matter of time before someone gets killed. And then the person who made the call will be crucified.

#14 Posted by airshocker (29404 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@PannicAtack said:

@airshocker said:

@PannicAtack said:

Oh, durr.

Easy to get this shit mixed up.

Even more reason why you shouldn't believe something you read on the internet without double checking it.

#15 Posted by dave123321 (33995 posts) -

Yeah swatting is such a stupid and dangerous thing to be doing

#16 Posted by dave123321 (33995 posts) -

It does seem like only a matter of time before something really bad to happen

#17 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9654 posts) -

How the hell did the livestreamer's father get shot? That seems ridiculously out of line for the SWAT team that arrived.

Welp... police and Swat teams when raiding a home or such shoot first and ask questions later.

#18 Posted by TwistedShade (3164 posts) -

I feel bad for the kid if it's real simply because one moment in an act of rage completely ruined his life. That being said I can't say it isn't a fair judgement.

This is of course assuming this is legitimate.

#19 Posted by Serraph105 (27945 posts) -

I feel bad for the kid if it's real simply because one moment in an act of rage completely ruined his life. That being said I can't say it isn't a fair judgement.

This is of course assuming this is legitimate.

Would it be a fair judgement though? what do people get for unintentional manslaughter? Also, as airshocker mentioned this type of sentence might be more about making an example out of someone to prevent such a thing from happening in the future. Is over-punishment in the name of future prevention ever really a "fair judgement?"

I don't necessarily have the answer to this, but they are questions worth contemplating.

#20 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -
#21 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16277 posts) -

If this is true, that kid should get more. A person was shot and he is responsible for the entire situation. Swatting isn't a prank, its basically an attempt at murder. Even if no one actually got hurt, it costs thousands of dollars in tax payers money to perform an operation like this. Not to mention, these kids are pulling officers from real possible emergencies where people are actually in danger.

#22 Edited by wis3boi (31293 posts) -

Prominent streamer Kootra just got swatted a few days ago

#23 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3649 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

1: This seems to be a terrible joke.

2: SWAT seems to be pricks.

#24 Posted by wis3boi (31293 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

the other team that kootra competes against got butthurt and called the prank in, saying kootra shot two coworkers and was holding a hostage, of course they went in expecting a fight

#25 Posted by lamprey263 (23540 posts) -

If true I hope this gets more publicity in that people should be aware of the consequences of doing this sort of thing.

#26 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3649 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

the other team that kootra competes against got butthurt and called the prank in, saying kootra shot two coworkers and was holding a hostage, of course they went in expecting a fight

Yeah, I understand that they can't afford to take things lightly, but it just annoyed me how they immediately went for the camera as soon as they learned that he was streaming + the "do you think this is funny" comment.

#27 Posted by indzman (17593 posts) -

SOURCE

Just came across this. Most people who play games and watch livestreams know what swatting is. If you don't, the definition is: Swatting is the tricking of any emergency service (via such as a 9-1-1 dispatcher) into dispatching an emergency response based on the false report of an on-going critical incident.

So this kid, after getting pissed off for losing a match in BF4, called the cops on a livestreamer and ended up getting the livestreamer's father shot in the process.

What do you all think of the punishment? I feel bad for the kid but seeing as he could have gotten somebody killed, I don't have too much sympathy. Hopefully this prevents people from doing the same thing in the future.

What a stupid kid, best punishment'd be snatch away his consoles and games from him for like EVER =P

#28 Posted by magicalclick (22556 posts) -

And PRISM doesn't validate the target before they SWAT the house. BTW, is PRISM still active?

#29 Edited by Chocobo_PS2 (36 posts) -

Doesn't this happen before. Murican are weak and starting gun argument beyond as they outstanding lacking in solo, team online and real live.

I have one person who appearing got special power that luring cops into me direction know what? He got dealed with handicap penalty, cops who arrest me and pulling me wasting 1 hour got fired and my summon ensure that human don't do anything stupid on me or will receive death penalty. Blueberry goes soso. And still there is people pulling prank by pulling metal detector on purpose and that is employer inside. But that person has been dealt.

And soso funny a person who trying using power to kill me in airport and say ''waarom kan hij niet doodgaan''(in English translation ''why can't he die?''). I saw him face now and just leave him cryspot duo he is one of the coward who didn't dare to enter euro lawsuit confronting battle.

#30 Posted by locus-solus (508 posts) -

@Master_Live: Yes, we can. SWATTING is pretty horrible. It's really only a matter of time before someone gets killed. And then the person who made the call will be crucified.

if someone got killed it would be Felony Murder which can get you a life sentence or possibly even the death penalty. if you want to know what the Felony Murder Rule is, look it up i don't feel like trying to explain.

#31 Posted by toast_burner (21519 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

Yeah, I understand that they can't afford to take things lightly, but it just annoyed me how they immediately went for the camera as soon as they learned that he was streaming + the "do you think this is funny" comment.

As far as they know this guy just killed some people and may try to kill them. Off course they aren't going to be nice, they're supposed to be aggressive.

#32 Edited by Xeno_ghost (683 posts) -

@airshocker:

http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/924330-swatting-hoax-15-year-old-swatted-gamer-convicted-of-domestic-terrorism-25-years-to-life-in-prison-is-fake-paul-horner-not-real/ :P

#33 Posted by helwa1988 (2094 posts) -

If this is true. Oh well. His actions got someone killed.

#34 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@airshocker said:

SOURCE

The article is fake , a swat team would not enter a house without making sure this is true.

Apart from that, any form of hacking and computer crime needs to be punished severly but a 15 year old is still a 15 year old, I think a year in a juvenile detention centre would be more than enough as a punishment.

but heck what does it matter, the article is fake, there are other news articles that report the article as fake.

On a side note, you thinking a 25 year old sentence for a 15 year old that does a computer prank, just shows what your level of intelligence is , airshocker. You being a cop, makes me very happy in don't live in the usa. We would never let fools be cops around here lol.

#35 Posted by Treflis (11521 posts) -

Well I do think the whole Swatting thing should be struck down upon hard since it is dangerous and frankly wasting the police time and resources over nothing.

Not saying it should validate 25 years in prison but perhaps the same punishment as endangerment charges and wasting the time of the police.

#36 Posted by airshocker (29404 posts) -

People need to read this thread. Not even three posts in I already said this might be fake.

#37 Posted by airshocker (29404 posts) -

The article is fake , a swat team would not enter a house without making sure this is true.

Apart from that, any form of hacking and computer crime needs to be punished severly but a 15 year old is still a 15 year old, I think a year in a juvenile detention centre would be more than enough as a punishment.

but heck what does it matter, the article is fake, there are other news articles that report the article as fake.

On a side note, you thinking a 25 year old sentence for a 15 year old that does a computer prank, just shows what your level of intelligence is , airshocker. You being a cop, makes me very happy in don't live in the usa. We would never let fools be cops around here lol.

Your first sentence is patently false. We've had SWAT teams enter buildings where absolutely nothing was going on. What happened to Kootra is a great example of this.

You're misrepresenting things, again. Computer hacking and phoning in a false emergency shouldn't carry 25 years, that's not what I said. If in the process of doing those things you get someone hurt? That should carry some weight.

The only fool here is you because you blatantly ignored what it is I said. You also ignored the fact that I also said it was fake not three posts into the thread.

#38 Posted by ferrari2001 (16875 posts) -

From what I read it is a fake. That photo is apparently from a trial where the kid was convicted of killing a toddler.

#39 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@airshocker said:
@evildead6789 said:

Your first sentence is patently false. We've had SWAT teams enter buildings where absolutely nothing was going on. What happened to Kootra is a great example of this.

You're misrepresenting things, again. Computer hacking and phoning in a false emergency shouldn't carry 25 years, that's not what I said. If in the process of doing those things you get someone hurt? That should carry some weight.

The only fool here is you because you blatantly ignored what it is I said. You also ignored the fact that I also said it was fake not three posts into the thread.

ok , I've should I've said, won't shoot without making sure (i forgot this in the usa lol)

I'm so glad i live in europe so I don't have to deal with this bs

#40 Posted by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

SOURCE

To bad its a fake site.

Swatting is insane waste of precious police resources and anyone who do it or think its funny need have their head examined. And i wouldn´t mind if this story had been true.

#41 Posted by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

That is a joke swat raid, first of all he obviously know they are coming way before they actually enter the room which if this was actually a real raid would allow any hostage or armed suspect to arm themselves and get ready or kill any hostages. They would never advertise themselves like that

But a good acting and it does seem real. But it shows just how idiotic american teens are.

#42 Posted by wis3boi (31293 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

That is a joke swat raid, first of all he obviously know they are coming way before they actually enter the room which if this was actually a real raid would allow any hostage or armed suspect to arm themselves and get ready or kill any hostages. They would never advertise themselves like that

But a good acting and it does seem real. But it shows just how idiotic american teens are.

except the guy who called in the prank admitted it and they have a person in custody for it. It shut down surrounding schools. Other youtubers and streamers have been swatted by their competitors before. It isn't fake you dolt

#43 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26170 posts) -

Real or not, this shit happens, and its pathetic. A word that I seem to be using often in regards to a small minority of gamers.

#44 Posted by BranKetra (48447 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

He could have been killed.

#45 Posted by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

except the guy who called in the prank admitted it and they have a person in custody for it. It shut down surrounding schools. Other youtubers and streamers have been swatted by their competitors before. It isn't fake you dolt

Care to link to that

Your word is as good as a two-dollar hooker.

#46 Posted by wis3boi (31293 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

Care to link to that

better article than the OP --> http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/

#47 Posted by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

Care to link to that

better article than the OP --> http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/

Fake story is still a fake story.

#48 Edited by wis3boi (31293 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

Care to link to that

Fake story is still a fake story.

No, it really isn't. Instead you insist on being dense in face of evidence to the contrary....no the whole state's local news stations made it up too, and the schools and offices were locked down for nothing...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/parents-warned-of-active-shooter-near-broadway-and-mineral

#49 Posted by dave123321 (33995 posts) -

@wis3boi: the Paul Horner thing is fake though. The other thing is real

#50 Posted by wis3boi (31293 posts) -

@wis3boi: the Paul Horner thing is fake though. The other thing is real

we know the OP is fake, but the other dude is denying the whole thing.