1,000 years of war in 5 minutes (video)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gamerguru100 (11297 posts) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hsDn2kNriI

I agree with the comments. Europeans have only recently begun to not destroy each other. :P 

1800-1950 is freaking hilarious. 

Also, the bigger the explosion, the more casualties there were in that battle. 

#2 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Looks like only Africans and Canadians are peaceful. Only War I knew that was gonna happen in Canada was 1812, and that simply due to America trying to expand.
#3 Posted by gamerguru100 (11297 posts) -
Looks like only Africans and Canadians are peaceful. Only War I knew that was gonna happen in Canada was 1812, and that simply due to America trying to expand. Fightingfan
Keep in mind that Canada has only been around for 200-300 years. In addition, I'm sure there were many battles among indigenous people in the Americas and Africa that aren't in recorded history.
#4 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks like only Africans and Canadians are peaceful. Only War I knew that was gonna happen in Canada was 1812, and that simply due to America trying to expand. gamerguru100
Keep in mind that Canada has only been around for 200-300 years. In addition, I'm sure there were many battles among indigenous people in the Americas and Africa that aren't in recorded history.

Well I didn't mean "Canada literally" I mean't the inhabitants of that area. N. America was pretty cool until St. Augustine.
#5 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Kind of missing a lot of activity outside of Europe but he says he'll fix that. Pretty neat though. Us white guys sure like blowing up each other.
#6 Posted by Rawrrah (38 posts) -
I'm happy how peaceful Europe has become now. :]
#7 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15044 posts) -

He/she seemed to label far more battles in Europe/Middle east than in other parts of the world. For the American Civil War there was one battle.................

#8 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -
I can't wait to see how the explosions will look like once North Korea starts nucking and everyone is nucking back lol
#9 Posted by gamerguru100 (11297 posts) -
Kind of missing a lot of activity outside of Europe but he says he'll fix that. Pretty neat though. Us white guys sure like blowing up each other.Ace6301
Yeah, it's funny how past Europeans thought they were more civilized than other races because of their tech, but they were just better at killing themselves, LOL.
#10 Posted by gamerguru100 (11297 posts) -

He/she seemed to label far more battles in Europe/Middle east than in other parts of the world. For the American Civil War there was one battle.................

limpbizkit818
It's not perfect, but it is funny as hell IMO.
#11 Posted by gamerguru100 (11297 posts) -
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks like only Africans and Canadians are peaceful. Only War I knew that was gonna happen in Canada was 1812, and that simply due to America trying to expand. Fightingfan

Well I didn't mean "Canada literally" I mean't the inhabitants of that area. N. America was pretty cool until St. Augustine.

Native American tribes fought against each other before the big bad white men showed up. The Aztecs (or was it the Inca) f*cked up and conquered adjacent tribes, for example.
#12 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Kind of missing a lot of activity outside of Europe but he says he'll fix that. Pretty neat though. Us white guys sure like blowing up each other.gamerguru100
Yeah, it's funny how past Europeans thought they were more civilized than other races because of their tech, but they were just better at killing themselves, LOL.

Everyone always thinks they're more civilized and morally upright than the other guy and the less drastic differences there are the more they'll nitpick to make a difference.
#13 Posted by gamerguru100 (11297 posts) -
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="Ace6301"]Kind of missing a lot of activity outside of Europe but he says he'll fix that. Pretty neat though. Us white guys sure like blowing up each other.Ace6301

Everyone always thinks they're more civilized and morally upright than the other guy and the less drastic differences there are the more they'll nitpick to make a difference.

For a species with highly developed brains whom shares 99.9% of DNA among each other, this is really sad.
#14 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -
Nice to know that I come from what seems like a particularly warlike place.
#15 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17752 posts) -

WW2 was the best part!

Also, were casualties really that high with the Iraq war? I had thought it had been a lighter war than most...

#16 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

That was pretty funny lol, makes me wonder how long the EU can go without war

#17 Posted by Jebus213 (8922 posts) -
I like how everything got better after 1850....
#18 Posted by Jebus213 (8922 posts) -
They like completely missed Vietnam.
#19 Posted by thegerg (16051 posts) -
I wonder how he chose which battles to include and which to leave out.
#20 Posted by sonicare (53620 posts) -
Looks like only Africans and Canadians are peaceful. Only War I knew that was gonna happen in Canada was 1812, and that simply due to America trying to expand. Fightingfan
I think the Canadians have participated in many battles - WW1, WW2, Afghanistan, etc. Africa is rife with civil wars and conflict.
#21 Posted by ferrari2001 (17313 posts) -
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks like only Africans and Canadians are peaceful. Only War I knew that was gonna happen in Canada was 1812, and that simply due to America trying to expand. Fightingfan

The North American and South American tribes were actually incredibly violent and were at war often, although the populations were less significant and there are no written records of any battles among the tribes so we can't judge the battles or their sizes. Also this video seemed to completely ignore mainland China, there were a great number of war there and they seemed to be completely ignored.
#22 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -

what a narrow minded view

that was one reason, sure. but the war of 1812 mostly happened because of madison's complete incompetence

#23 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24188 posts) -

practice makes perfect.

#25 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks like only Africans and Canadians are peaceful. Only War I knew that was gonna happen in Canada was 1812, and that simply due to America trying to expand. sonicare
I think the Canadians have participated in many battles - WW1, WW2, Afghanistan, etc. Africa is rife with civil wars and conflict.

I meant war on their land. Like one, maybe two wars fought on their home land. Africa yeah -- they still to this day have civil issues : /
#26 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks like only Africans and Canadians are peaceful. Only War I knew that was gonna happen in Canada was 1812, and that simply due to America trying to expand. Novotine

that was one reason, sure. but the war of 1812 mostly happened because of madison's complete incompetence

U mad cuz Murica lost to a bunch of smelly french people on mooseback?
#27 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
Europeans are taking a break, it is America's turn to destroy!
#28 Posted by 00-Riddick-00 (18884 posts) -
*looks at all the civil wars going on in Africa*
#29 Posted by 00-Riddick-00 (18884 posts) -
[QUOTE="Novotine"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks like only Africans and Canadians are peaceful. Only War I knew that was gonna happen in Canada was 1812, and that simply due to America trying to expand. Fightingfan

U mad cuz Murica lost to a bunch of smelly french people on mooseback?

Ended in a draw actually.
#30 Posted by thegerg (16051 posts) -
White people...MgamerBD
Yeah, with their writing and ability to record history.
#31 Posted by Treflis (11823 posts) -
Well Europe has pretty much had rivaling countries ever since they were founded and up to present day. I would've been surprised if Europe wasn't the place with the most "activity".
#32 Posted by thegerg (16051 posts) -
[QUOTE="Treflis"]Well Europe has pretty much had rivaling countries ever since they were founded and up to present day. I would've been surprised if Europe wasn't the place with the most "activity".

"Well Europe has pretty much had rivaling countries ever since they were founded and up to present day." Haha, so has everywhere else.
#33 Posted by chaplainDMK (6920 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Kind of missing a lot of activity outside of Europe but he says he'll fix that. Pretty neat though. Us white guys sure like blowing up each other.gamerguru100

Actually mostly it's because they were so much more advanced than anyone else. This video ignores alot of the fighting going on in China, India etc..

Basically the point is there is war and fighting everywhere you go, but the more developed civilizations supported bigger populations, so while in Africa and the Americas 2 or 3 tribes would go to war and there would be 100-1000 combatants, in Europe and Asia 2 or 3 nations would go to war and there would be anything from 10000 to 100000 combatants. Ofcourse that eclipses what happaned in Africa and Americas.

#34 Posted by MgamerBD (17550 posts) -
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]White people...thegerg

And destroy it.
#35 Posted by Aljosa23 (25980 posts) -

[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]White people...thegerg

Funnily enough they've also destroyed a lot of invaluable historical records, literature, art, architecture, among other things.

#36 Posted by gamerguru100 (11297 posts) -

The 1400s were pretty funny too, lol

#37 Posted by Gibsonsg527 (3313 posts) -

Still missing out on alot of battles and wars but the europe bias was pretty amusing. Especially when it got to WW2 lol big explosions everywhere. 

#38 Posted by lamprey263 (25585 posts) -
neat-o, but I still think the nuclear bomb time-lapse is cooler