A decade in review - The best of 2000-2009?

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

Well, this decade is coming to a close. We're in the last 6 months of the first decade of the 2000s, and have seen a ****load of Hip-Hop come out over these last 10 years. Now that it's all said and done, I guess we should place some opinions on this and that. So....

Who was...

The best producer of the decade?

The best rapper of the decade?

The biggest surprise (the dude who everyone thought would flop/suck, but came out and dropped heat) of the decade?

The biggest disappointment of the decade?

The most consistent artist/group of the decade?

The most memorable artist of the decade?

The best lyricist of the decade?

The most innovative/creative/original artist?

And the biggest clown of the decade?

What was...

The dopest label?

The best group?

The best song (or what were the best songS, as many probably tie)?

The best album?

The funniest moment?

And finally...

The best performance?

Here are my thoughts...

Best Producer

Dope beat after dope beat, and even crossover projects. This guy was just everywhere and created some of the hottest beats the genre has ever seen...

Best rapper

He just kept it coming, over and over again. Album after album, he managed to perform decently or better. Stillmatic was a cIassic, and he never went too far downhill from there imo.

The biggest surprise

Let's be honest, when we heard this dude was gonna rap after seeing him on that lame ass show (I don't know about anyone else, but that is where I first saw him... Not sure if he rapped before that), we didn't expect much from him. A ton of people have commented on how random it is that he is actually musically talented. When I heard him spit, I was surprised as ****... probably more than I ever have been as a result of music.

The biggest disappointment

Once upon a time, 50 was simply dope. He built up good street buzz with some doooope records and then dropped an amazing mainstream disc. And then what? Garbage. The humble, streetwise, talented Cuuuurtis turned into an overconfident-"I can make whatever I please and get mah money"-rapper and started to put together crap. I don't think I've ever seen such a big fall off in an artist. Going from GRODT to Massacre is like going from steak to cup noodles. ****ing disappointing.

The most consistent artist/group

Blueprint, B2, Black Album and AG all in 10 years? Jay = that dude. Two ****cs, two good albums and an average one. His retirement probably looks like this opinion look like a joke, but some things can't be denied. Faulty retirement or not, he dropped ****c-average albums (most of which above average) and nothing below, hit up several guest spots with dope verses and managed to keep selling massive amounts, over and over again. He even ended up throwing in a label-collective type album in there and a rap/rock mash up. This guy is about the music and he really proved that this decade.

I'll post more in a bit, gotta get back to work.

djwestwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 djwestwood
Member since 2005 • 1260 Posts

Well, this decade is coming to a close. We're in the last 6 months of the first decade of the 2000s, and have seen a ****load of Hip-Hop come out over these last 10 years. Now that it's all said and done, I guess we should place some opinions on this and that. So....

Who was...

The biggest surprise (the dude who everyone thought would flop/suck, but came out and dropped heat) of the decade?

The best lyricist of the decade?

The most innovative/creative/original artist?

What was...

The dopest label?

The best group?

The best album?

The funniest moment?

And finally...

The best performance?

elpooz

Not going to do them all but, definitely agree with you on best producer Timbaland, IMO he really branched out with Nelly Furtado, I didn't actually mind Shock Value either.

Best rapper - Jay-Z, to me no one has outshined him, Black Album would have been the perfect album to go out with, Blueprint is one of my favourite albums of all time. I think he really proved himself as one of the all time greats this decade. Yeah, he was already an established artist but as far as mainstream popularity is concerned, this was a better decade for him.

Best lyricist - I still think this should go to Talib Kweli, it's only when dude has an album coming out that he reminds people how talented an artist he truly is. I thought Ear Drum was a solid effort, and an improvement from The Beautiful Struggle. Guest appearances he's been owning as well.

EDIT: Oooh, how could I forget "Quality" as well, that album was great.

I don't think there has been any artist/band that I can honestly say has been consistent. :(

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#4 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Damn I can't remember all those right now but rather then leave you hanging I'll post ones I do know

Outkast: They started off so awesome with Stankonia, my favorite album but their last two albums just left me hanging. I hope they go back to their older ****

The Neptunes, they've made some of the best beats ever. They managed to make me like a Britney Spears song, that's good.

For me? Hmm...I'll agree pooz and say Jay-Z but I'll add in Ghostface Killah

Jay-Z has been consistently dope. I liked everything he's done. Even American Gangster was sick.

Soulja Boi, hands down

I'll post more later or I'll just post my favorite albums since 2000

-Methtical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Methtical-
Member since 2009 • 222 Posts
I'm only going to do one of these right now, and that's producer of the decade. I have to pick Black Milk because I haven't heard him ever make a bad beat. He's on some next level ****.
-PuLse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -PuLse
Member since 2009 • 538 Posts

Who was...

The best producer of the decade? 9th Wonder

The best rapper of the decade? Royce Da 5'9"

The biggest surprise (the dude who everyone thought would flop/suck, but came out and dropped heat) of the decade? The Game

The biggest disappointment of the decade? Papoose

The most consistent artist/group of the decade? No clue

The most memorable artist of the decade? Jay-Z

The best lyricist of the decade? Jay-Z

The most innovative/creative/original artist? Jay-Z

And the biggest clown of the decade? Cam'Ron

What was...

The dopest label? Interscope?

The best group? No clue

The best song (or what were the best songS, as many probably tie)? Dreams, Hip-Hop, Till I Collapse, and Allure

The best album? The Game - Doctor's Advocate..........:P

The funniest moment? Suge getting knocked out

And finally...

The best performance? Jay-Z's 10 Year Anniversary of Reasonable Doubt

There's mine..

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Mine's kinda long (mainly due to pictures)...so I put it in spoiler tags
[spoiler]
Madlib
I had a little bit of trouble deciding between Madlib, Dilla, and 9th Wonder...but I ended up going with Madlib. Sure, he doesn't have the popularity of someone like Timbaland...but I like both Quasimoto albums, Shades of Blue, Champion Sound, and Madvillainy more than just about everything Timbaland puts out.

Ghostface
Supreme Clientele is my favorite Wu solo album, and since then he's dropped solid albums like The Pretty Toney Album & Fishscale. Nas was pretty good in the early part of the decade too (assuming you count The Lost Tapes, which I do)..but since then I think he's been kinda average.  

Budden

For me anyway. Until a year or two ago, the only songs of Budden's that I heard were Pump It Up, Fire, and some Christina Milian song (and the only reason I even listened to that was because the video had Christina Milian in a bikini)...he just seemed like a generic pop artist to me. Eventually I gave in and listened to the Mood Muziks and was blown away. 

Eminem
Started the decade with a c|assic, but since then he's gradually gotten worse...

MF DOOM
I haven't listened to Born Like This yet, but all of his other albums this decade have been above average at worst (including his aliases).

Kanye
Not only for his music, but for his other stuff..."george bush doesn't like black people", fishsticks, etc.

The best group?
UGK
I'm pretty sure there is some group I liked more than UGK....but I can't really think of anyone else right now. If Slaughterhouse wasn't so new, I definitely would've picked them. 

If I had to pick just one, it'd be "One Mic"...I don't really feel like listing anything that "tied" with it because then I'd be here all day.

The best album?

Tie between:
Deltron
&
Supreme Clientele

The funniest moment?
You maaaaaaaad [/spoiler]

HerbertdaPerv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HerbertdaPerv
Member since 2007 • 200 Posts

Best Producer: 9th wonder or Just Blaze...Kanye gets honorable mention.

Best Rapper: I would onebelo, but he came out in 1999 =/ So umm...Phonte or Elzhi.

Biggest Surprise: Nas and Jay-z squashing their beef and making black republicans.

Biggest Disappointment: BET banning De La Soul music videos and Little Brother music videos because they were "too intelligent for their audience"

Most Consistent:  Honestly no clue.

Most memorable artist: (I'm not saying Jay-z cause he's not even from this decade

Besy lyricist: Kanye held it down this decade

Most innovative:  Hmm..no idea

Biggest clown: Obvious choice is soulja boi. 

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
My favorite producers this decade are Dilla & Madlib in that order, they always brought heat. Best rapper for me would probly be Ghostface. Best album is hard to say, Supreme Clientele, S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M., Below The Heavens, The Realness(I think this might be my favorite) Let's Get Free, Donuts, Champion Sound, Madvilliany, Popular Demand, Exit, The Listening, Stillmatic, Blueprint, Disposable Arts, A Long Hot Summer, Operation Doomsday, The Lost Tapes, O.S.T., Carte Blanche, Game Theory, Jesus Price Supastar & Fantastic Vol 2 are just some of my favorites.
BLBxLakers24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 126

#10 BLBxLakers24
Member since 2008 • 1716 Posts
DRAKE IN THE BIGGEST SUPRISE? Thats the only way you could fine away to stick in Drake so you could D ride him a little bit more. How is drake a suprise? I stopped reading once I seen a picture of him.
BLBxLakers24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BLBxLakers24

The biggest rappers of this decade have been Jay-Z and Eminem.

Biggest surprise has to be Lil Wayne. No one watching the Hot Boyz in 99 would have expected Wayne to be what he is now. He took the game over. The Carter 1, Carter 2, Carter 3, Dedication 1, Dedication 2, Dedication 3 and the million of other mixtapes, remixes, features have all been mainstream and underground sucesses. To even put Drake above Wayne in this is stupid. Drake is only hot right now with one mixtape thats why you put him ahead.

TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts
The best producer of the decade? J Dilla

The best rapper of the decade? Ghostface

The biggest surprise (the dude who everyone thought would flop/suck, but came out and dropped heat) of the decade? Chamillionaire

The biggest disappointment of the decade? Wu-Tang Clan (not solo projects)

The most consistent artist/group of the decade? The Roots

The most memorable artist of the decade? Andre 3000

The best lyricist of the decade? One Be Lo

The most innovative/creative/original artist? MF Doom

And the biggest clown of the decade? Tony Yayo

The dopest label? meh.

The best group? The Roots

The best song (or what were the best songS, as many probably tie)? Blueprint 2 - Jay-Z

The best album? Binary Star - Masters of the Universe

The funniest moment? You mad? - Cam'ron

PS. good thread elpooz. ;)

BLBxLakers24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BLBxLakers24

The best rapper of the decade? Nas

The biggest surprise (the dude who everyone thought would flop/suck, but came out and dropped heat) of the decade? Lil Wayne no one could have ever expected what he was and is.

The biggest disappointment of the decade? Joe Budden, talent was there but never took off.

The most consistent artist/group of the decade? Jay-Z

The most memorable artist of the decade? Eminem

The best lyricist of the decade? Nas/Eminem

The most innovative/creative/original artist? Mos Def

And the biggest clown of the decade? Soulja Boy

What was...

The dopest label? Koch

The best group? Slaughterhouse

The best album? Stillmatic

And finally...

The best performance? Eminem mtv music awards. or performance with Elton John. Lil Waynes Gossip was big.

jubjub13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 jubjub13
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts

Whoa Whoa Whoa

Definitely stole my thread....its ok though, you are forgiven

BLBxLakers24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BLBxLakers24

The funniest moment? you mad camron Pictures, Images and Photos

TheBigTicket21
Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts

Who was...

The best producer of the decade? Dilla or maybe Kanye

The best rapper of the decade? Jay-Z

The biggest surprise (the dude who everyone thought would flop/suck, but came out and dropped heat) of the decade? Weezy

The biggest disappointment of the decade? Em.

The most consistent artist/group of the decade? Either Hov or Wayne...

The most memorable artist of the decade? Kanye

The best lyricist of the decade? Nas

The most innovative/creative/original artist? Kanye

And the biggest clown of the decade? YOUUUUUUUUU. Soulja Boy.

What was...

The dopest label? No Idea

The best group?Nothing comes to mind

The best song (or what were the best songS, as many probably tie)? Ill get back to you.

The best album? Once again I'll get back to you haha.

The funniest moment? "George Bush hates black people"

And finally...

The best performance?

elpooz

Lakersman2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lakersman2000
Member since 2003 • 15308 Posts
the best album of the decade is still JAY-Z The blueprint . thats all that matters.... ain't nothing else even come close.
TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheBigTicket21
the best album of the decade is still JAY-Z The blueprint . thats all that matters.... ain't nothing even come close. Lakersman2000
lol nothing lol
Ryder004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ryder004
Member since 2007 • 4371 Posts

The best producer of the decade?9th wonder

The best rapper of the decade?Nas

The biggest surprise (the dude who everyone thought would flop/suck, but came out and dropped heat) of the decade? will asnwer later, cant think of 1

The biggest disappointment of the decade?Dunno

The most consistent artist/group of the decade?Does young money count as a group?

The most memorable artist of the decade? hate to say it, wayne

The best lyricist of the decade?nas

The most innovative/creative/original artist?nas

And the biggest clown of the decade?soulja boy

The dopest label?Aftermath?

The best group?

The best song (or what were the best songS, as many probably tie)?Link

The best album? Nas' Untitled

The funniest moment? Dunno ATM

The best performance?Will asnwer later

HerbertdaPerv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HerbertdaPerv
Member since 2007 • 200 Posts
Honestly we shouldn't listen vet rappers and producer in this topic, I find it kind of biased seeing as most of the 90's who are still rapping in this decade are 10x better than most of the newcomers.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Honestly we shouldn't listen vet rappers and producer in this topic, I find it kind of biased seeing as most of the 90's who are still rapping in this decade are 10x better than most of the newcomers.HerbertdaPerv

But if they're still rapping/producing, why shouldn't we list them...? That's like saying we shouldn't nominate Kobe Bryant for anything since he's been playing for a long time.

bradleybhoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bradleybhoy
Member since 2005 • 6501 Posts

I only really look at things from an album perspective but Madlib is most def my top producer for this decade.

Anyhoo fave albums (in no particular order):

IsThisIt_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IsThisIt_basic
Member since 2002 • 27130 Posts

the best album of the decade is still JAY-Z The blueprint . thats all that matters.... ain't nothing else even come close. Lakersman2000

You know, picking that album up at about the beginning of the decade, I had no idea that, almost ten years later, still nobody managed to release a better album. I mean, I need to go back through my catalogue, but I really can't think of a better record.

Anyways, as for this thread, I do plan to do an end-of-the-decade list, but this is still way too early to be making this list imo. I mean, if Drake is one of your most anticipated artists, then by all means, go ahead and make your list, because obviously the decade isn't getting any better for you. But for me, there's still a lot of key releases in the next couple months. Not to mention that there's hundreds upon hundreds of albums to go back and revisit.

TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheBigTicket21

[QUOTE="Lakersman2000"]the best album of the decade is still JAY-Z The blueprint . thats all that matters.... ain't nothing else even come close. IsThisIt_basic

You know, picking that album up at about the beginning of the decade, I had no idea that, almost ten years later, still nobody managed to release a better album. I mean, I need to go back through my catalogue, but I really can't think of a better record.

Anyways, as for this thread, I do plan to do an end-of-the-decade list, but this is still way too early to be making this list imo. I mean, if Drake is one of your most anticipated artists, then by all means, go ahead and make your list, because obviously the decade isn't getting any better for you. But for me, there's still a lot of key releases in the next couple months. Not to mention that there's hundreds upon hundreds of albums to go back and revisit.

Masters of the Universe is better, but that's even earlier than blueprint.
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts
I guess my Outkast bias obviously shows when I say Stankonia is my fave album of this decade. Second I would prolly say the Blueprint, and after that something like Supreme Clientele...