Will the WiiU get big titles like GTA5?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by scotty992 (2388 posts) -

Sorry if its been asked before but I'm actually getting intrested in the WiiU Looks like a nice console to go with my gaming pc I'm just wandering if the big games like GTA will come on the console? and in the future with the other next gen consoles do you think it will get support?

#2 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Nintendo want 3rd party support.I hope we see big games, examples I'd give (announced, or just my wet dreams) - Fallout 4, Doom 4, Borderlands 3, The Elder Scrolls 6, Baldur's Gate 3, Dungeon Keeper 3, Supreme Commander 3, Syndicate 2, Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age 3, Battlefields, Call of Duties. I have no interest in Grand Theft Auto.

I hope I don't sound too trollish, because that's definitely not my intention. Why is it that when people think of an upcoming big game, they always jump on Grand Theft Auto 5? I do not understand the appeal of Grand Theft Auto.

#3 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

I honestly don't think Wii U will get sufficient western AAA support going forward.

Sure it will play CoD, Fifa and some other big games but it will miss out on alot of stuff and probably have the worst versions of multiplats.

#4 Posted by scotty992 (2388 posts) -

I honestly don't think Wii U will get sufficient western AAA support going forward.

Sure it will play CoD, Fifa and some other big games but it will miss out on alot of stuff and probably have the worst versions of multiplats.

SuperFlakeman
Why do you think that?
#5 Posted by bionicle_lover (4501 posts) -

Nintendo want 3rd party support.I hope we see big games, examples I'd give (announced, or just my wet dreams) - Fallout 4, Doom 4, Borderlands 3, The Elder Scrolls 6, Baldur's Gate 3, Dungeon Keeper 3, Supreme Commander 3, Syndicate 2, Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age 3, Battlefields, Call of Duties. I have no interest in Grand Theft Auto.

I hope I don't sound too trollish, because that's definitely not my intention. Why is it that when people think of an upcoming big game, they always jump on Grand Theft Auto 5? I do not understand the appeal of Grand Theft Auto.

psymon100

I'm going to go ahead and say that the reason gta5 is brought up is because it is probably one of the biggest, most acclaimed series in gaming. It is also multiplat, and has not been on a nintendo home console yet (i think, i know chinatown wars was on the ds but i dont think that many people even knew about it). It is like the one game that is the polar opposite of what the public's perception of nintendo is- family friendly, simple, clean, cartoony. I feel like people think that if GTA can come to the Wii U, any multiplat can because it will help rebrand nintendo as being more "mature." Also, GTA is better recognized than most of the list given, probably because of its notoriety from the media.

Furthermore, has fallout 4, borderlands 3, elder scroll six, etc. even been announced? Call of duty seems to be released every half year, so its release is probably no big deal for a lot of people.

#6 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22728 posts) -
[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

scotty992
Why do you think that?

simply the stigma most western developer associate with nintendo systems
#7 Posted by guard12 (1657 posts) -

I believe Nintendo has claimed they are getting more 3rd party support this time around. IDK if it means that we would get just shovelware and cheap ports of future releases like with the Wii. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Nintendo got there act together and is actually gonna get the ports and exclusives we deserve

#8 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

scotty992
Why do you think that?

I'd say since generally speaking the only games that sell on Nintendo consoles are Nintendo games, and I'd say that's someone unappealing to publishers.
#9 Posted by meetroid8 (21147 posts) -
Well, big franchises like Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect are releasing on the WiiU, so it's certainly a possibility.
#10 Posted by morattorm (30 posts) -
I hope it does come to wii u. I'd like to play it on what I am hoping will become my main console. I like to do my part to convince 3rd parties to support Nintendo again :D
#11 Posted by mariokart64fan (19805 posts) -
[QUOTE="scotty992"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Shinobishyguy
Why do you think that?

excuse me what? rockstar has always made games for nintendo may not be gta but -- ya ea one of americas biggest companies - are supporting u w nfs madden mass effect etc dont count wii u out as for gta v it might not , has not been anounced for it
#12 Posted by Jaysonguy (38166 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="scotty992"] Why do you think that? mariokart64fan

excuse me what? rockstar has always made games for nintendo may not be gta but -- ya ea one of americas biggest companies - are supporting u w nfs madden mass effect etc dont count wii u out as for gta v it might not , has not been anounced for it

What?

Rockstar has not supported a Nintendo system with anything top tier from the company.

Also bringing up games like Madden that's missing features and Mass Effect which is a complete rip off compared to the trilogy you're doing an awful case for saying the Wii U will have support.

#13 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9908 posts) -
they will get big titles but I don't know about gta5. I think there is professional friction between Rockstar North and Nintendo, who have a rocky history together from the n64 days.
#14 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8210 posts) -
Rockstar hasn't supported Nintendo in some time, I'm sure they'll take the wait and see approach. So if GTA V does come it will probably be a half year later or so.
#15 Posted by spike6958 (5118 posts) -
Rockstar hasn't supported Nintendo in some time, I'm sure they'll take the wait and see approach. So if GTA V does come it will probably be a half year later or so.Eikichi-Onizuka
This attitude from devs is really annoying. They say "oh we'll wait and see how the system does before we put our AAA titles onto it", then when it starts selling instead of putting there latest AAA title onto it they instead port year old game to it and then when it doesn't sell they come out with crap like "oh, well we released a core title on the system but no one bought it so we won't try again in the future". If they make WiiU wait for GTA V, it won't sell, put it on WiiU at the same time as 360/PS3 and it will. EA is practically WANTS this to happen with Mass Effect, if the Trilogy Edition was coming to WiiU that would have sold, I know I would have bought it to play the series again, but who will honestly buy just ME3 for WiiU, not many people I'd wager. This almost seems like EA trying to set themselves up with an excuse to avoid supporting WiiU in the future.
#16 Posted by Jaysonguy (38166 posts) -

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]Rockstar hasn't supported Nintendo in some time, I'm sure they'll take the wait and see approach. So if GTA V does come it will probably be a half year later or so.spike6958
This attitude from devs is really annoying. They say "oh we'll wait and see how the system does before we put our AAA titles onto it", then when it starts selling instead of putting there latest AAA title onto it they instead port year old game to it and then when it doesn't sell they come out with crap like "oh, well we released a core title on the system but no one bought it so we won't try again in the future". If they make WiiU wait for GTA V, it won't sell, put it on WiiU at the same time as 360/PS3 and it will. EA is practically WANTS this to happen with Mass Effect, if the Trilogy Edition was coming to WiiU that would have sold, I know I would have bought it to play the series again, but who will honestly buy just ME3 for WiiU, not many people I'd wager. This almost seems like EA trying to set themselves up with an excuse to avoid supporting WiiU in the future.

Devs not wanting to lose money bothers you?

#17 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4959 posts) -
Currently it isn't announced for the system and it boggles my mind. This isn't a case of GTA being a poor fit on DS or Wii (despite CW selling over 1 million DS) due to a more "casual" user base. The Wii U customer base is there for the taking and they could amass 1-2 million copies sold on a cheap port of the Wii U version, turn a good profit all by releasing GTA V on Wii U when the other versions ship. It's not like it can't handle it, if anything the extra horsepower will make it better. But for whatever reason Rockstar/Take Two just have no interest in it despite a group of Nintendo gamers waiting to gobble up whatever they throw at them. There really isn't much of an excuse. I mean if Ubisoft can get Red Steel, with terrible reviews and poor controls, to sell 1 million plus copies shortly after the Wii's launch in 2006 do you really think Rockstar's hype machine and marketing skill can't get a Wii U version to sell at least 2 million copies at $60? I really don't know what else Nintendo has to do for them to be on board. They're isn't much left in Ninty's power.
#18 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4959 posts) -

[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]Rockstar hasn't supported Nintendo in some time, I'm sure they'll take the wait and see approach. So if GTA V does come it will probably be a half year later or so.Jaysonguy

Rockstar wouldn't lose money on GTA V on Wii U at all. 1. The money made back from the 360/PS3 versions alone would take care of any losses on the Wii U version. We're talking $500 million-$1 billion shortly after launch on just 360/PS3, so is eating $15 million on a Wii U port that bad? 2. Like I said, a Wii U port could be handled by another studio and wouldn't cost nearly as much as the normal versions. We're talking $10-$15 million budget max. If games like Rayman Legends and Zombi U are original and are costing Ubisoft a couple of million dollars than either it wouldn't cost that much to port it to Wii U or Rockstar is terrible with their money. 3. The Wii U customer base is young and undefined. With so many "core" games at launch there's a good chance the user base sways more in favor of "core" games than "casual" than the Wii. I'm not saying 70% core user base, but I'd think it could be a good chunk. 4. All Rockstar would have to do after porting the game is simply slapping on a Wii U logo at the end of all trailers, commercials. It's not like the Wii U version would need it's own marketing, therefore it would lower costs of a port significantly. 5. Let's say GTA V on Wii U sold 1.2 million copies like Chinatown Wars did on DS, and let's say this is over the course of one year roughly. 1.2 million is no where near the 10 million + of other consoles, but it would still generate $70 million + revenue for them. And when you consider that the budget of a Wii U port could be very low, probably near $10 million they'd be recouping their investment 6-7 times over with only one million units sold. Just my thoughts on how GTA V really isn't that much of a risk on Wii U
#19 Posted by spike6958 (5118 posts) -

[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]Rockstar hasn't supported Nintendo in some time, I'm sure they'll take the wait and see approach. So if GTA V does come it will probably be a half year later or so.Jaysonguy

Them not wanting to lose money, I can understand. But them putting there entire future of supporting the system on the shoulders of a game that's almost a year old, or just ignoring it completely does.

Again using EA and Mass Effect as an example, everyone who's played Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2 has probably played Mass Effect 3, the game has also had a lot of negative press due to it's ending, do you really think any newcomer would be interested in the "final" chapter of a story, when said chapter is considered by the majority as the worst of the series, and they can't play the rest of it on Wii or WiiU? If they had put some effort and when porting Mass Effect 1 to PS3 they also ported it, along with 2 to WiiU, the Trilogy edition could have been much more appealing, to both fans of the series interested in another playthough, or to newcomers to the series.

Besides, there is no excuse for EA, or Rockstar to be lazy when it comes to WiiU. Activison is giving us the real version of Black Ops 2, we're also getting what Ubisoft says is the best version of Assassin's Creed 3, as well as plenty of other multi-platform games close to, or even on the same day, as they are released on other systems.

The fact is, we can only play the games we are given, it's no good for Devs to say "oh well they won't play it, and it'd cost too much, we're not gonna do it", it's a new system with a new focus, sure it's still getting it's family friends games (but these days what consoles aren't starting to focus on casual gamers), but it's also getting more core games as well, such as ZombiU. As I said, I understand there a business, and Devs don't want to lose money, but they should at least be willing to put forward some effort. We Gamers can't take the first step they have to, if they won't provide the games, how can we ever show them that we actually want them?

#20 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3670 posts) -

This thread must've found a time machine, as most of the recent posts make points AT LEAST as old as the GameCube and possibly, even older. :P Since I'm in the mood to explain, I'll do so.

To bonesawisready5:

It shouldn't boggle your mind. What would be boggling to me would be Rockstar/Take Two supporting Nintendo so strongly, all of a sudden, since there's no reason for them to do so at this very moment. Based on prior experiences with Nintendo systems, it only makes sense for Rockstar/Take Two to wait and see.

This isn't a case of GTA being a poor fit on DS or Wii (despite CW selling over 1 million DS) due to a more "casual" user base. The Wii U customer base is there for the taking and they could amass 1-2 million copies sold on a cheap port of the Wii U version, turn a good profit all by releasing GTA V on Wii U when the other versions ship.bonesawisready5

Actually, the situation the Wii U currently faces is a lot worse. Currently, it doesn't have the 150+ million userbase of the DS or even the 90+ million user of the Wii. Right now, Rockstar couldn't count on any number of Wii U owners buying GTA V, since the system doesn't have any yet. And no matter how you wish to spin it, Chinatown Wars was a disaster for Take Two. "Casual" user base or not, for a GTA game to struggle as much as CW did on a system with so many consumers couldn't have left a good taste in the publisher's mouth. If I'm not mistaken, Pokemon Platinum sold 800K copies in the same month GTA CW was released. We're still talking about a Nintendo system, so to expect a multiplat on system with a userbase of zero at the moment to amass the same or a greater amount of sales as an exclusive title on a system of 150+ million owners is a very unlikely projection right now.

It's not like it can't handle it, if anything the extra horsepower will make it better. But for whatever reason Rockstar/Take Two just have no interest in it despite a group of Nintendo gamers waiting to gobble up whatever they throw at them. There really isn't much of an excuse.bonesawisready5

It's not a matter of horsepower here. Then again, it wasn't a matter of horsepower with GTA 3, either. It's all about Rockstar knowing that its key titles aren't exactly the kind of games Nintendo consumers are used to playing. And if they didn't know it before, CW pretty much confirmed it in the developer's mind's eye. You honestly think that everything involving Rockstar's decision to not release the franchise on a Nintendo system before now has been about power? They just know that these "Nintendo gamers" you speak of is a minority, even among the potential owners of the Wii U. That group you speak of just wants to see the Wii U get stronger third party support, not necessarly do enough to justify the support at the end of the day. Most of their fans will already have the console(s) to play GTA V, and from that point, it's a guessing game how valuable the "Nintendo gamers" that want GTA V on the Wii U really are.

I mean if Ubisoft can get Red Steel, with terrible reviews and poor controls, to sell 1 million plus copies shortly after the Wii's launch in 2006 do you really think Rockstar's hype machine and marketing skill can't get a Wii U version to sell at least 2 million copies at $60? I really don't know what else Nintendo has to do for them to be on board. They're isn't much left in Ninty's power.bonesawisready5

Night and day, I'm afraid. Different system, different budget, different game, and different expectations. Rockstar knows that it doesn't have to do a thing on the Wii U to make GTA V a success. Nothing. Nada. Diddly-squat. That game's 20+ million sales will go to the PS3/Xbox 360 combo, regardless of whether or not the Wii U existed to begin with. No need to go out of the way to build a hype machine for the Wii U version with that kind of security. And on top of the disaster of GTA CW, doing such a thing probably wouldn't make nearly as great of a difference as you think it would.

To answer your last point, there isn't anything Nintendo can do, and it's been this way for at least three systems now. A disc format and the easiet system to develop for didn't help things, nor did a userbase of nearly 100+ million. In truth, what makes the Wii U more appealing than the GameCube and Wii at their respective launches? The only thing that's going to change this is raw numbers, and Nintendo can't single-handedly make GTA V or any other third party game meet sales expectations. If the sales of third party titles don't prove to be strong early and throughout, the Wii U will find itself in no more favorable of a situation than the two consoles before it. And if that's the case, GTA V and Rockstar/Take Two's support in general is all but a pipe dream.

#21 Posted by scotty992 (2388 posts) -
Well this thread has mainly confused me lol.
#22 Posted by Vickman178 (866 posts) -

Well this thread has mainly confused me lol. scotty992

Yup. Thats the Gamespot forums for ya.

#23 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9908 posts) -
Imo the Wii really exposed deeper issues between rockstar and Nintendo besides hardware. The Wii was market leader and didn't get a gta game. The psp even got one. I'm not saying that gta5 absolutely has no chance of hitting the wiiu, just that we shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't
#24 Posted by trugs26 (6143 posts) -

Sorry if its been asked before but I'm actually getting intrested in the WiiU Looks like a nice console to go with my gaming pc I'm just wandering if the big games like GTA will come on the console? and in the future with the other next gen consoles do you think it will get support?

scotty992

I hope they do, but my guess is that it won't. We'll see soon though.

Btw, if you got a gaming PC, these things shouldn't matter to you :P

#25 Posted by Sphensen (814 posts) -

Imo the Wii really exposed deeper issues between rockstar and Nintendo besides hardware. The Wii was market leader and didn't get a gta game. The psp even got one. I'm not saying that gta5 absolutely has no chance of hitting the wiiu, just that we shouldn't be surprised if it doesn'tGunSmith1_basic

it'd be sweet to see GTA V on the WiiU but I def think there is some beef between the two companies.

#26 Posted by hiphops_savior (8084 posts) -
There's a reason why GTA didn't become a cash cow until GTA 3, just look at the sales number for Chinatown Wars on the PSP as well as the DS.
#27 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4959 posts) -

This thread must've found a time machine, as most of the recent posts make points AT LEAST as old as the GameCube and possibly, even older. :P Since I'm in the mood to explain, I'll do so.

To bonesawisready5:

It shouldn't boggle your mind. What would be boggling to me would be Rockstar/Take Two supporting Nintendo so strongly, all of a sudden, since there's no reason for them to do so at this very moment. Based on prior experiences with Nintendo systems, it only makes sense for Rockstar/Take Two to wait and see.

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

Actually, the situation the Wii U currently faces is a lot worse. Currently, it doesn't have the 150+ million userbase of the DS or even the 90+ million user of the Wii. Right now, Rockstar couldn't count on any number of Wii U owners buying GTA V, since the system doesn't have any yet. And no matter how you wish to spin it, Chinatown Wars was a disaster for Take Two. "Casual" user base or not, for a GTA game to struggle as much as CW did on a system with so many consumers couldn't have left a good taste in the publisher's mouth. If I'm not mistaken, Pokemon Platinum sold 800K copies in the same month GTA CW was released. We're still talking about a Nintendo system, so to expect a multiplat on system with a userbase of zero at the moment to amass the same or a greater amount of sales as an exclusive title on a system of 150+ million owners is a very unlikely projection right now.

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]It's not like it can't handle it, if anything the extra horsepower will make it better. But for whatever reason Rockstar/Take Two just have no interest in it despite a group of Nintendo gamers waiting to gobble up whatever they throw at them. There really isn't much of an excuse.Madmangamer364

It's not a matter of horsepower here. Then again, it wasn't a matter of horsepower with GTA 3, either. It's all about Rockstar knowing that its key titles aren't exactly the kind of games Nintendo consumers are used to playing. And if they didn't know it before, CW pretty much confirmed it in the developer's mind's eye. You honestly think that everything involving Rockstar's decision to not release the franchise on a Nintendo system before now has been about power? They just know that these "Nintendo gamers" you speak of is a minority, even among the potential owners of the Wii U. That group you speak of just wants to see the Wii U get stronger third party support, not necessarly do enough to justify the support at the end of the day. Most of their fans will already have the console(s) to play GTA V, and from that point, it's a guessing game how valuable the "Nintendo gamers" that want GTA V on the Wii U really are.

I mean if Ubisoft can get Red Steel, with terrible reviews and poor controls, to sell 1 million plus copies shortly after the Wii's launch in 2006 do you really think Rockstar's hype machine and marketing skill can't get a Wii U version to sell at least 2 million copies at $60? I really don't know what else Nintendo has to do for them to be on board. They're isn't much left in Ninty's power.bonesawisready5

Night and day, I'm afraid. Different system, different budget, different game, and different expectations. Rockstar knows that it doesn't have to do a thing on the Wii U to make GTA V a success. Nothing. Nada. Diddly-squat. That game's 20+ million sales will go to the PS3/Xbox 360 combo, regardless of whether or not the Wii U existed to begin with. No need to go out of the way to build a hype machine for the Wii U version with that kind of security. And on top of the disaster of GTA CW, doing such a thing probably wouldn't make nearly as great of a difference as you think it would.

To answer your last point, there isn't anything Nintendo can do, and it's been this way for at least three systems now. A disc format and the easiet system to develop for didn't help things, nor did a userbase of nearly 100+ million. In truth, what makes the Wii U more appealing than the GameCube and Wii at their respective launches? The only thing that's going to change this is raw numbers, and Nintendo can't single-handedly make GTA V or any other third party game meet sales expectations. If the sales of third party titles don't prove to be strong early and throughout, the Wii U will find itself in no more favorable of a situation than the two consoles before it. And if that's the case, GTA V and Rockstar/Take Two's support in general is all but a pipe dream.

1. The sales of Chinatown Wars can't be disappointing to anyone, Short of expectations? Maybe. But 1.2 million likely generated them 20 times the budget of the game. I'd say that's a success 2. That no user base argument has to apply to every console. Sure, the Xbox and PS players tend to be more open to games like GTA but that's only because at some point Rockstar went ahead and took risks on older platforms like the PS1 and PS2 when they didn't have a set user base for their games at first. The Xbox 720's user base isn't set, and it could be casual or core heavy and no one would look the other way if they announced a GTA for that platform before it has a chance to be successful or not. I don't understand how the Wii U gets faulted in this argument for not having a user base that they can count on, yet all other platforms (next-gen or ones in the past) didn't necessarily at first either. 3. They're never going to have proof of whether a GTA game can sell on a Nintendo console unless they try. I'd be willing to say they could move at least 1-2 million units worst case scenario. Taking advantage of a young user base with a cheap port is the best opportunity and least risky. I really don't think Chinatown Wars was a failure. Throwing away 1.2 million sales like that (when the PSP version sold 50% less) isn't good. If they made at least $20 off each copy they'd have generated $24 million +, that's not including retailer costs but also I'm not including the sales at the launch $30 price either. Just everything at $20. Considering the budget probably didn't exceed $2 million max (like most DS games) I wouldn't call that bad at all
#28 Posted by simomate (1875 posts) -

scotty992
It depends, I think, on how successful the wii u is. I feel Nintendo made a better choice this time round with the wii u tablet controller. The problem with the wii mote, was that it was extremely limited if you did not want to use motion controls. So, game developers were FORCED to build their games using motion controls (and many third party games did this poorly). The wii u, however, is the opposite. It Iain no way limited, in fact, it has a ton more opportunity. The wii u gamepad is the same as traditional controllers save for the touch screen in the middle. So when developing or porting a game for the wii u, devs aren't forced to work around the limitations of motion controls. Honestly, all they NEED Ato do is slap on a HUD display or maybe a mini map and call it a day. That being said, while Nintendo is improving on getting third party support, I still think it will miss out on a lot of games...