WiiU Not Getting Saint's Row IV *linked

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

http://www.screwattack.com/news/wii-u-will-not-be-getting-saint%E2%80%99s-row-iv

I'm not the biggest Saint's Row fan, but I hate to see studios just avoid the WiiU.  

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Meh, it's not like anyone buys a wii u to play that anyway.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Meh, I bought my Wii U for Nintendo and exclusives. I don't care about 3rd parties multiplats, I have two other consoles and a PC I can play them on. Nintendo will come through for us soon enough, with a bunch of great games, let's just give them time.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
what a surprise :roll:
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Meh, I bought my Wii U for Nintendo and exclusives. I don't care about 3rd parties multiplats, I have two other consoles and a PC I can play them on. Nintendo will come through for us soon enough, with a bunch of great games, let's just give them time.spike6958

I don't want to say too much, but this certainly isn't the attitude a lot of people had about the Wii U and multiplats just a few months ago... What the heck has happened? :?

So much for "dat hardware argument..." Third parties are going to continue to come up with any reason to not support the Wii U and stand by it, so as long as they continue to gain nothing for actually supporting it. The ironic thing about this story is the fact that it centers around Saint's Row, a franchise that Nintendo once used as an example for its strong third party support for the 3DS. My, how quickly things can change.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
Guess it wasn't worth it to them.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i probably would have bought it...oh well guess we both lose.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#8 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="spike6958"]Meh, I bought my Wii U for Nintendo and exclusives. I don't care about 3rd parties multiplats, I have two other consoles and a PC I can play them on. Nintendo will come through for us soon enough, with a bunch of great games, let's just give them time.Madmangamer364

I don't want to say too much, but this certainly isn't the attitude a lot of people had about the Wii U and multiplats just a few months ago... What the heck has happened? :?

So much for "dat hardware argument..." Third parties are going to continue to come up with any reason to not support the Wii U and stand by it, so as long as they continue to gain nothing for actually supporting it. The ironic thing about this story is the fact that it centers around Saint's Row, a franchise that Nintendo once used as an example for its strong third party support for the 3DS. My, how quickly things can change.

Yeah, that is a terrible position to take. If the Nintendo hardware serves no purpose but to play Nintendo games it just makes it a massive waste of money and no one should want Nintendo to make systems when the few Nintendo developed games could just be put on another system and would save us $100s of dollars every system generation.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Yeah, that is a terrible position to take. If the Nintendo hardware serves no purpose but to play Nintendo games it just makes it a massive waste of money and no one should want Nintendo to make systems when the few Nintendo developed games could just be put on another system and would save us $100s of dollars every system generation.

Legolas_Katarn

Honestly, I'm not really saying how people SHOULD feel about this situation. In fact, I was in a very small boat of people that actually predicted this would happen, so I can't say much more than that, frankly. I'm just shocked to see such disinterest in Wii U multiplats after months of many of this board's followers supporting the notion of the Wii U getting multiplats to seemingly no end. I'm not even sure if spike6958 directly falls into that group, but if so, than what is being said now is a MAJOR difference from what was said about the Wii U in the not-so-distant past.

That was really the reason behind my reaction. For whatever reason people want to buy a Nintendo console is totally up to them, though. I just didn't expect the change of heart so suddenly, if that's really the case.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
My stance remains the same, I believe 3rd party support is very important and I believe the Wii U will see 3rd party support. The 3rd party loves to talk about how they needed next gen consoles so they could "innovate", the only next gen consoles the 3rd party is interested in is ones that come out of the gate on fire. That article talks about gamepad implementation and I doubt that has anything to do with it, its is strictly sales data. This is no different than when the PS3 struggled out the gate and things like Bioshock, Dead Rising and so on were on the 360. Publishers don't want to let go of the current gen until they are assured big sales and I expect this to continue well into next year, because I don't see the PS4 or XBOX 3 being instant successes either. That's just the current hardware landscape. When the Wii U picks up steam and when publishers are forced to abandon the current gen, I expect they wont be able to avoid the Wii U, as I don't see a Wii or PS2 like contender coming out of this time. I think they will have to use all three systems as well as PC and digital means to makes workable sales.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts
Considering the 3DS Saints Row was cancelled, why am I not surprised?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

My stance remains the same, I believe 3rd party support is very important and I believe the Wii U will see 3rd party support. The 3rd party loves to talk about how they needed next gen consoles so they could "innovate", the only next gen consoles the 3rd party is interested in is ones that come out of the gate on fire. That article talks about gamepad implementation and I doubt that has anything to do with it, its is strictly sales data. This is no different than when the PS3 struggled out the gate and things like Bioshock, Dead Rising and so on were on the 360. Publishers don't want to let go of the current gen until they are assured big sales and I expect this to continue well into next year, because I don't see the PS4 or XBOX 3 being instant successes either. That's just the current hardware landscape. When the Wii U picks up steam and when publishers are forced to abandon the current gen, I expect they wont be able to avoid the Wii U, as I don't see a Wii or PS2 like contender coming out of this time. I think they will have to use all three systems as well as PC and digital means to makes workable sales. Sepewrath

I'm not as optimistic as you are, but I think we'll see some support once sales pick up. I'm also not confident in the other platforms being successful and falling much like the Wii U has; so if Nintendo manages to turn things around this time next year it might benefit them.

At the very least I can say we'll see some solid support from Ubisoft and Activision out of the three big publishers, with EA doing whatever they want. I don't really care about EA at this point, especially after the SimCity controversy. $!@# that company.

I think Nintendo really needs to push the Wii U as also being that mid-tier console that can be used to make solid games that devs can't afford to make on PS4/Xbox3 but will have a shot of realizing their goals on the Wii U still.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I honestly do not care about third party games on any platform.  I buy Nintendo to play Nintendo games like Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Wave Race, and Donkey Kong.  I buy Sony consoles to play games made by Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, and Media Molecule.  I will eventually buy a Wii U to Play Yoshi Land, Mario Bros U, Retro Studios next generation titles, Monolith's next game, and whatever else Nintendo comes out with.  I will buy a PS4 to play Infamous Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, Naughty Dog's next PS4 game, and Media Molecules next PS4 game.  The only third party company that I tend to like a lot is Namco.  I like Tekken, Soul Calibur, and the Tales franchise.  Those games will no doubt hit Wii U and PS4 at some point. 

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#14 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Whether or not you'd play this game this is a bummer for Wii U-owners. Third-party support helps bring in buyers and more owners brings in more third-party support; the two go hand-in-hand. Sadly, develoepers who say that their audience isn't on a console, which is why they won't put their games on it, end up enacting a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

i don't know if I would have checked out Saints Row IV on the Wii U as I haven't played any of the previous iterations, but I can say that's a little disappointing to hear they aren't bringing it over. 

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

I'm not as optimistic as you are, but I think we'll see some support once sales pick up. I'm also not confident in the other platforms being successful and falling much like the Wii U has; so if Nintendo manages to turn things around this time next year it might benefit them.

At the very least I can say we'll see some solid support from Ubisoft and Activision out of the three big publishers, with EA doing whatever they want. I don't really care about EA at this point, especially after the SimCity controversy. $!@# that company.

I think Nintendo really needs to push the Wii U as also being that mid-tier console that can be used to make solid games that devs can't afford to make on PS4/Xbox3 but will have a shot of realizing their goals on the Wii U still.

Haziqonfire

It has nothing to do with optimism, traditional console development has never had so much competition on the entertainment front. With people playing games, watching moves and such on phones and tablets. You have things like Steam even OnLive getting the attention of would be console customers. I don't think the pie will be as big this time, so in order for companies to exist in the AAA space, they have to spread the wealth as much as possible.

Their not going to be able to make games that need to sell 5 million copies to break even and then ignore one platform. If the gap between the Wii U and PS4 was a repeat of the Wii and PS3, fine, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Even mid tier, unless published by the console maker, probably has to be multiplat. I don't think the Wii U dev cost will be that much less than its counterparts like the Wii was. The days of the exclusive are dead, for publishers to maximize profit, they cant ignore the Wii, especially once they go completely next gen. The only way that can happen is if the PS4 or XBOX3 comes out and people mistake it for an iphone.

etmaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 etmaul
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts
This seems to be a trend with a lot of developers. It seems like every week there is a topic on "XYZ developer explains why there will not be a Wii U edition of XYZ game." I hate to say it but I had a feeling a lot of developers weren't going to buy into the Wii U technology, especially considering the upcoming release of the PS4 and xBox 720. Thus, it seems like this will be like every other Nintendo console, the Nintendo franchises will reign while only some developers will support this console. Is it possible Nintendo will ever go a different direction that developers will support?
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
That sux, doesn't really affect me, I'm already getting ready to get it on PC. But it sux if you dont have another option, its a fun game series.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#18 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

saints row 4 wont be missed - im sure alot of us own ps3 360 for it anyway ,    i want new games not ports,   nothing on older consoles , and nothing available on next gen either , i want my own set of games for all 3 platforms thats how it should be ,

im sure we will get s omething better in the form of driver 6 ,

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#19 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Nintendo really needs third-party exclusives, not multiplats, as they never seem to do well on Nintendo consoles.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Just looks more & more like I will have to buy a PS4 later. :(

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts
Nintendo really needs third-party exclusives, not multiplats, as they never seem to do well on Nintendo consoles.JustPlainLucas
Even though lack of multiplats have also been a complaint as well.
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I'm sure there's some math that shows "x" % of a console's installed base reflects the number of potential sales a game of certain calibers can get. And I'm sure those numbers looked really low for Saint's Row.

I hope the current multi-plats (like Need For Speed) do well, though. And I hope the Wiiu becomes more desirable to 3rd parties as time goes on. As much as I love Nintendo, I wouldn't buy a console just to play their games.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
Not a huge issues. Its also not hitting the Xbox 720 and PS4. Its focused on the current generation.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Its odd to see Ubisoft stepping up with Zombi U, Rayman, AC3, AC:BF and so much more yet EA, Take Two, and others have no interest in Wii U.

Saints Row IV, Dead Island Riptide, GTA V all make sense on Wii U. Dead Island has the Zombi U market to sell to (330k+), Saints Row and GTA V could easily shift at least 1 million units lifetime recooping all porting costs and then some.

It is disappointing but I didn't buy my Wii U for these games. Then again, if all of us keep being okay with "I buy my Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games" will that ever change? Seems like Nintendo can't catch a break with third parties.

I wonder if releasing the N64 in fall 1995 with a CD drive would've changed everything,....

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I don't want to say too much, but this certainly isn't the attitude a lot of people had about the Wii U and multiplats just a few months ago... What the heck has happened? :?Madmangamer364
I don't know, but its starting to piss me off. And you wonder why many high acclaimed third party devs prefer to avoid Nintendo products and why their systems end up going through long game droughts...

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"] I don't want to say too much, but this certainly isn't the attitude a lot of people had about the Wii U and multiplats just a few months ago... What the heck has happened? :?tocool340

I don't know, but its starting to piss me off. And you wonder why many high acclaimed third party devs prefer to avoid Nintendo products and why their systems end up going through long game droughts...

It is just what people are used to.  Cartoon platformers do not sell that well on the other consoles.  Nintendo actually knows how to use its own hardware.  Third parties do not use the unique advantages to any specific platform really.  The reason the Wii missed out on games was because the hardware could not run a lot of the titles out on the market.  The Gamecube had good support for the first two years, but it dried up because the system did not sell.  The N64 got the shaft because Nintendo decided to go with a cartridge based format for games instead of a disc based format.  We also need to remember that not all of the next generation consoles are out yet.  The first system out of the gate always gets current gen port.  The first year got a lot of games that were primarily built for the last generation.  I would advise giving the Wii U at least a year to get off the ground.  I would say that if the Wii U versions of games like Destiny, Assassins Creed 4, and Watch Dogs are more in line with the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, then it is time to worry.  Every system takes at least a year to get off the ground.  The PS3 got off to a worse start than the Wii U, and look at the system now.  The games the Wii U has may be old, but at least they run almost on par with other consoles, and most of the titles are good.