(Wii U) So how are the graphics ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_Telimtor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 _Telimtor_
Member since 2009 • 196 Posts

I'm wondering how powerful this console is. I'm now a very casual gamer, i sold my PS3 months ago since i don't really have time for it. I used to have a Wii but disliked the graphics a lot on HDTV, so i sold it, but now i have a 3 years old daughter and i feel like in a year or so i can start playing some kids games with her on a console. Also my wife used to love the Wii.

Already at 3 years old i can see her playing some kind of motion control game of some kind. BUT there's no way i'm buying a Wii U if the graphics arent better than the actual Xbox or the PS3.... these things are 2006, i hope Nintendo did better in terms of graphic this time.

So?

Avatar image for GamespotSux_IKR
GamespotSux_IKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GamespotSux_IKR
Member since 2012 • 66 Posts

Yea, Once I got used the the PS3's 1080p graphics.. the Wii look like trash... but I did hook up my Wii to my 30 inch LCD in the bedroom, played Skyward Sword on it...and it was Beautiful O_Q ... T_T

I believe that the Wii U is on par with PS3 and XBOX360... but I don't get all the tech talk, so I couldn't tell ya exactly where it stands

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

wiiU isn't out yet so only a few people have seen it.... the only game they have at stores is rayman legends.... everyone says it looks the same or better....but the machine is capable of better graphics than the 360/ps3.....when the new mario,pikmin or zelda games come out you should see the capacity of the machine.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts
the Wii U supports 1080i 60fps and with newer hardware it's above what PS3/360 has to offer
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Wii U itself is reportedly more powerful than PS3 and 360, but Nintendo's games won't look as detailed or as complex as what you see in for example the last of us, this is due to design choice.

Wii U can handle these graphics:

-

The Last of Us 4fcd74dd369c327ad73a2fc2

Halo 4 50633f5096704b65854419c4

-

But Nintendo opts for a simple graphical design, although with the added benefits of HD to create a sharper & smoother image:

-

b9vkki.gif

New Super Mario U 5078bf3ef49156dc139d9edd

Nintendo Land 5078be0af49156dc139d9ed9

Nintendo Land 4fce8e84369c26331eacfdb4

Pikmin 3 4fce5ecb9670d1aee8d3cf67

-

3rd party games on Wii U

-

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 5076f91a96704b658544216d

The Wonderful 101 507c9dd5f49156dc139d9ff7

Assassin's Creed 4fa6cb74cdc388ed13f671ca

Rayman Legends 5078c04a96704b65854422f6

Zombi U 5052287296704b6585441277

Just Dance 4 50785eddf49156dc139d9e20

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

The Wii U is more powerful than the PS3/360. We aren't supposed to make direct comparisons here, but this is only science - not fanboyism.

The most credible rumour regarding the Wii U's GPU, is that it's based off AMD embedded GPU solution called e6760. Nintendo can modify it to better suit their purpose of a games console.

e6760vsXenos.png

I think FLOPS (GFLOPS in the table) is a pretty good metric to use, as I've seen the FLOPS of GPUs follow a pretty linear relationship with benchmark scores on the PC side. So even if the GPU was unmodified by AMD, that's 2.4x better performance than the 360's Xenos.

However, it's not just about FLOPS. If the quantity of eDRAM is large enough to hold a 1080P framebuffer, that should improve things significantly.

But,_Telimtor_, your question was about graphics, not specifications. Though it is true that better specifications allow greater potential for graphics - it would be wrong to assume that it always works out like this. Mass Effect 3 for example, is unlikely to look 2.4x better on Wii U compared to either of the HD twins.

Also, it takes time to get the best out of these games consoles. Halo 4 looks miles above and beyond Perfect Dark Zero, they're separated by ~6.9 years but run on the same hardware.

So I guess to summarise, yes - the graphics should be better than PS360, however, this difference will initially be modest, but should grow over time.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

I'm wondering how powerful this console is. I'm now a very casual gamer, i sold my PS3 months ago since i don't really have time for it. I used to have a Wii but disliked the graphics a lot on HDTV, so i sold it, but now i have a 3 years old daughter and i feel like in a year or so i can start playing some kids games with her on a console. Also my wife used to love the Wii.

Already at 3 years old i can see her playing some kind of motion control game of some kind. BUT there's no way i'm buying a Wii U if the graphics arent better than the actual Xbox or the PS3.... these things are 2006, i hope Nintendo did better in terms of graphic this time.

So?

_Telimtor_

For people asking about graphics this is how I explain to them about WiiU, look at the multiplatforms games on 360/PS3. The Assasin Creed, The Batman Arkham, Call of Duty etc..(just look at the video/screens around the net). It will either look similar or better..but no worse off. Now think how many years it took for 360/PS3 to get this stage where they are able to produce such great looking graphics..& remember this will be WiiU *launch games*. Give it a year or 2...devs need to figures out how WiiU inner working works. :)

JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

I never really trust screenshots, but playing Rayman at Best Buy revealed graphics that were smooth as can be.

Can't wait to see other [exclusive] games.

Avatar image for GamespotSux_IKR
GamespotSux_IKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GamespotSux_IKR
Member since 2012 • 66 Posts

yea, Zelda on Wii U. I can't wait to see that.

also, my inner fanboy gets excited when I read that Wii U is more powerful~ :} HIII YAAAH!

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

So you sold the Wii that your wife "loved" because you didnt like the graphics on an HDTV??? Does that mean youd sell the Wii U if your daughter loves it and you dont?:roll:

_Telimtor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _Telimtor_

So you sold the Wii that your wife "loved" because you didnt like the graphics on an HDTV??? Does that mean youd sell the Wii U if your daughter loves it and you dont?:roll:

JuanGrande386
Well my wife plays 2 times a year so... But back then i just bought my first HDTV and plugged in the Wii and it looked horrible! So i sold it and bought a PS3 and it was worth it, i may look into the Wii U it looks like a nice system... But honestly.. Why cant there be only 1 system that plays them all ?
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Wii U boasts of newer tech, so it's more capable than its competition. But honestly, I doubt the games we know about don't showcase its better potential (unless the games presents 1080p at 60fps). Then again, it was like that last generation with the Xbox 360 which barely looked that much better than the predecessors. That Zelda tech demo looks remarkable. I bet developers will reach the level of graphical quality in time.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

[QUOTE="JuanGrande386"]

_Telimtor_

Well my wife plays 2 times a year so... But back then i just bought my first HDTV and plugged in the Wii and it looked horrible! So i sold it and bought a PS3 and it was worth it, i may look into the Wii U it looks like a nice system... But honestly.. Why cant there be only 1 system that plays them all ?

Because that would be no fun. Plus systems nowadays pretty much do play them all, you'd probably be really pissed if we were in the early 90's right now where each system (SNES, Genesis) had a pretty much completely different library of games.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Colorful, sharp and smooth tbh...

JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts
Why cant there be only 1 system that plays them all ? _Telimtor_
It's easier to have 2 TV's.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Uh,they are beautiful?

It depends on the game.

I'm sure that in 2014,or more likely 2015+ we'll see amazing graphics on it.

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

I don't know why that says e6760, it hasn't even been confirmed at all and pretty much debunked on Neogaf and B3D. Not saying it couldn't be but we have absolutely no idea what it is or could be, the wattage allowed by the TDP of the console would put the flops between 400 - 600ish Gflops. AlsoGPU can go a few different routes since its usually highly customized. For example only thing confirmed is the DDR3-looking modules on the chip so it could be (for example) a 6670 where they customized it to use DDR3 and a lower clock speed to lower the thermals and power consumption could probably fit within that 35 - 40 watt threshold. It is all up in the air. However word is via neogaf insider that devs are really impressed with newest dev kits, but it may not be apparent until 2nd - 3rd gen games.

I wouldn't be surprised if the low power consumption tech of the e6760 was carried to the Wii U to make something similar though.

Bottomline is everything is pretty much unknown. We don't know how much wattage the CPU and peripherals take up in that apparent 70 watt allowance. Also it is hard to take into account power when factoring in how the edram can be utilized exactly.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

Yea, Once I got used the the PS3's 1080p graphics.. the Wii look like trash... but I did hook up my Wii to my 30 inch LCD in the bedroom, played Skyward Sword on it...and it was Beautiful O_Q ... T_T

I believe that the Wii Uis on par with PS3 and XBOX360... but I don't get all the tech talk, so I couldn't tell ya exactly where it stands

GamespotSux_IKR

i not a tech expert but according to specs wiiu is at least 3 times more powerfull than curretn gen.

Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Human-after-all

[QUOTE="GamespotSux_IKR"]

I believe that the Wii Uis on par with PS3 and XBOX360... but I don't get all the tech talk, so I couldn't tell ya exactly where it stands

pc-ps360

i not a tech expert but according to specs wiiu is at least 3 times more powerfull than curretn gen.

We have no idea what the specs are, there are no specs. Only thing stated was it was 3 core CPU with some sort of GPU. Only thing for sure is it is a helluvalot more powerful than the Wii.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

[QUOTE="GamespotSux_IKR"]

Human-after-all

We have no idea what the specs are, there are no specs. Only thing stated was it was 3 core CPU with some sort of GPU. Only thing for sure is it is a helluvalot more powerful than the Wii.

i though the specs where out a while ago and it should 1.5-3 gb ram

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I don't know why that says e6760, it hasn't even been confirmed at allHuman-after-all

That's why I referred to it as the most credible rumour I've seen. I never gave this information under the false pretense that it was confirmed.

and pretty much debunked on Neogaf and B3D.Human-after-all

I would like to see this information please. This link here, e6760 confirmed by AMD customer service twice, then someone from PR says that they haven't released the specs - well then what is the deal with the multiple emails people have received back from AMD stating e6760? Are they wrong or are PR doing their job properly and simply ignoring them? I have seen at least 3 different responses from AMD saying e6760 (But of course - they could be wrong!)

the wattage allowed by the TDP of the console would put the flops between 400 - 600ish GflopsHuman-after-all

Then the e6760 is a great candidate at just 35W TDP, actual power consumption would probably be lower. 400-600 GFLOPS? From a Radeon 7850M, you can get 864 GFLOPS, it's TDP is only 5W higher at 40W TDP.

Bottomline is everything is pretty much unknown. We don't know how much wattage the CPU and peripherals take up in that apparent 70 watt allowance. Also it is hard to take into account power when factoring in how the edram can be utilized exactly.Human-after-all

I agree they're 'unknowns'. I agree regarding the eDRAM. Where did you learn about the 70W allowance? I would query this given the size of the power brick. For some reason, nobody seems to have taken a photo of the PSU showing the output volts and amps - maybe they're not allowed.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

So?

_Telimtor_
It's above those consoles but you won't see a huge difference right away. The fact that the Wii U's launch ports look great (Blops 2, AC3, Tekken, ME3) in comparison to the ugly launch ports on 360 (King Kong, Tony Hawk) should say something Also 2GB RAM is a bigger amount of memory than 512MB, so yes it's more powerful.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

wiiU isn't out yet so only a few people have seen it.... the only game they have at stores is rayman legends.... everyone says it looks the same or better....but the machine is capable of better graphics than the 360/ps3.....when the new mario,pikmin or zelda games come out you should see the capacity of the machine.

KBFloYd

Yes. Because Nintendo's first party titles are famous for pushing hardware to its limits.

*cough*

/sarcasm

_Telimtor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _Telimtor_

It looks like a cool console and will sell a lot for Christmas i'm sure. I will look into it, i'm console"less" right now and i miss having a game to play from time to time, and i like having some casual games for the family and having triple A title for myself.

The thing is i'm afraid that i have to buy controller and nunchuk and wireless this and that, and it's going to cost 500$ in the end just to be equiped.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

ZIMdoom

Yes. Because Nintendo's first party titles are famous for pushing hardware to its limits.

*cough*

/sarcasm

Well not 2D/3D Mario games but Zelda/Metroid..I expect them to. :p
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Human-after-all

[QUOTE="Human-after-all"]

I don't know why that says e6760, it hasn't even been confirmed at allpsymon100

That's why I referred to it as the most credible rumour I've seen. I never gave this information under the false pretense that it was confirmed.

and pretty much debunked on Neogaf and B3D.Human-after-all

I would like to see this information please. This link here, e6760 confirmed by AMD customer service twice, then someone from PR says that they haven't released the specs - well then what is the deal with the multiple emails people have received back from AMD stating e6760? Are they wrong or are PR doing their job properly and simply ignoring them? I have seen at least 3 different responses from AMD saying e6760 (But of course - they could be wrong!)

the wattage allowed by the TDP of the console would put the flops between 400 - 600ish GflopsHuman-after-all

Then the e6760 is a great candidate at just 35W TDP, actual power consumption would probably be lower. 400-600 GFLOPS? From a Radeon 7850M, you can get 864 GFLOPS, it's TDP is only 5W higher at 40W TDP.

Bottomline is everything is pretty much unknown. We don't know how much wattage the CPU and peripherals take up in that apparent 70 watt allowance. Also it is hard to take into account power when factoring in how the edram can be utilized exactly.Human-after-all

I agree they're 'unknowns'. I agree regarding the eDRAM. Where did you learn about the 70W allowance? I would query this given the size of the power brick. For some reason, nobody seems to have taken a photo of the PSU showing the output volts and amps - maybe they're not allowed.

Because why would PR risk their career telling someone the cinconsole specs when everyone is bound by NDAs. Customer service people don't know jack. The rumor originated from a discussion on neogaf where someone mentioned it because of its low TDP and it snowballed. It was made for lottery terminals.

The one interesting thing about it though is what AMD can achieve at a low TDP, it could very well be based off of it but its all 100% speculation. I would really hope its the e6760.

I also was wrong, Iwata said 75 watts I believe.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

ZIMdoom

*cough*

/sarcasm

isn't mario galaxy 1&2 ..metroid prime corruption supposed to be the best looking games on wii?

on snes...games didnt get much better than mario world andlink to the past

on nes...super mario bros 2 and 3 showed it's limits

on n64 mario 64 or wave race is still just as good as anything else on the console

gamecube was the first to have a 3rd party considered the best looking game in RE4...

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

I believe that the Wii U is on par with PS3 and XBOX360... but I don't get all the tech talk, so I couldn't tell ya exactly where it stands

GamespotSux_IKR

PS3 has very few 1080p games, most are 720p and lower. I have both a PS3 and a Wii and the Wii doesn't look that bad compared to the PS3. The Wii U is more powerful than the other HD systems. Nintendo hasn't released any official real official specs but it seems to be at least twice as powerful, probably more. It's not a huge leap though. I wouldn't expect anything that truly takes advantage of the extra power for a while. Most multiplatform games will be made the for 360 and ported to the Wii U with only small improvements at most (This unfortunately happens to the PS3 too). This would be due to budgets and laziness. Nintendo and a few caring developers will put more time and effort into it and in a year or two we will see some amazing looking games. For the next few months though we will only get in the range of slightly worse looking to slightly better looking as the developers learn the system.